As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Steam Holiday Miracle is over!

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    For people on the fence about nabbing Assassin's Creed: Black Flag at the current price, let me offer a cheaper and overall better alternative with Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry.

It's got the same awesome pirate stuff from Black Flag but with a more emotionally invested main character along with 99% of objectives that deal with freeing slaves and killing slavers. You also fight with a machete and a Scorpion-style grappling hook that strangles dudes as you pull them over.

It also has a hell of a soundtrack, just listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZs3nF509JU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI8q_Dw73P0&list=PLPv6_B0i3_Rm-zcH8tprb0NNRnVCLigJI&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey3W36hLqzE&index=7&list=PLPv6_B0i3_Rm-zcH8tprb0NNRnVCLigJI

Goddamn I love it when that last one plays during ship battles.

I talk about it a bit more along with a few other overlooked Steam games on sale in my latest podcast episode, for those interested.

the non-standalone version of freedom cry is also included in the black flag season pass

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    I started playing Akrham Oranges

some of this feels... kinda half-baked

arkham city had a pretty dumb thing where they populated a gigantic section of the city with criminals, but it was at least explained by the game

I don't really get why every rooftop in gotham has criminals in it in Arkham origins

the entire thing feels kinda like a mod for arkham city, outside of the boss fights

it's like pretty much the exact same gameplay, but in slightly different areas and with less polish

it's also hard to read exactly what kind of enemy you're fighting: the broken bottle reskin of the knife is small enough that it can be hard to tell that an enemy is holding it until they start attacking you, and martial artists aren't especially distinctive (especially when compared to the ninjas from arkham city, who have a similar gimmick), especially if you're fighting them in NG+ where there's no counter indicators.

I don't know how the martial artists are depicted, as Steam won't let me buy anything at the moment, but this is what I used Batvision for exclusively in City.

the martial artists look exactly the same as unarmed guys in detective vision, so that doesn't help there

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    So @Blankzilla‌ gave me Depth during his gifting spree(hit me up when you wanna play i'm free late saturday and i should be free Sunday)

But now I must make a choice.

Sharks
    3006063-4474595663-secre.jpg

or Divers.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    @Iolo pre-empted me before I even got around to doing the deed!

EuroTruckIolo_zps1b5a2cac.jpg

I've forwarded on the generosity to mine own senior, and while I was at it picked up a copy for myself with some wallet money I had for selling cards during the auction. If Kees really likes it, I can install it on my PC as well, and it cost me naught but virtual loose change.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Meh, Black Flag is $15 for me, and I'm mostly over AC, I think. I think it'd probably need to be about half that to really tempt me for impulse purchase.

@Fishman‌
    I don't care about AC at all anymore and I still think Black Flag is a super good game just on its own

because it seemed like they ditched a lot of the awful story crap and made a fun game about sailing around and being a pirate

collectible sea shanties

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    ... I do like pirates.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I still burned out of Black Flag before finishing it same as every other AC game past 2, but hoo boy

The hours leading to that point were a lot more fun than any other AC game I've played

You really have to play it to experience just how much fun it is to sail your boat around, and how totally unlike a normal AC experience it is when in said boat

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I didn't even think to check Black Flag when I saw Unity was on sale. Thank you, Steam thread.

• Options
    J.budz.J.budz. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    @Iolo pre-empted me before I even got around to doing the deed!

EuroTruckIolo_zps1b5a2cac.jpg

I've forwarded on the generosity to mine own senior, and while I was at it picked up a copy for myself with some wallet money I had for selling cards during the auction. If Kees really likes it, I can install it on my PC as well, and it cost me naught but virtual loose change.

That game there is highly addicting strangely enough.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    So what's the over/under on Watch Underscore Dogs going much lower than 40% off this sale?

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So you can still buy a season pass after the game comes out and get all the dlc? Like, it'd be cheaper to just buy the Assassins Creed 3 season pass instead of the Tyranny DLCs individually?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Geth is mocking my ignorance :(

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    So you can still buy a season pass after the game comes out and get all the dlc? Like, it'd be cheaper to just buy the Assassins Creed 3 season pass instead of the Tyranny DLCs individually?

a cursory google says "yes, they're retroactive"

edit: let's find out, shall we?

Tamin on
  • Options
    GreenManGaming has Wolfenstein: The New Order or The Evil Within for $16 after promo code WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE (you can only use the code once)

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I really need to clean up my wishlist it's a huge mess

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Ground Zeroes report: rank A, 4/9 patches so far

are all patches in the default mission or are they scattered across the alternate ops?
    Because I did a no-stops murder round and searched the map, and ended up with the mentioned total of 4 (maybe 5?), and no new cassette tapes

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Reason to buy Black Flag #1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V1Phu3PoYNc

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I went on a murder spree every time I got caught in Ground Zeroes and accidentally hit a checkpoint during one of them, ended up with rank C. Will have to try again soon.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Ground Zeroes report: rank A, 4/9 patches so far

are all patches in the default mission or are they scattered across the alternate ops?
    Because I did a no-stops murder round and searched the map, and ended up with the mentioned total of 4 (maybe 5?), and no new cassette tapes

All the patches are on the main mission, yeah.

I think the cassette tapes too.

You will laugh very hard when you manage to find one of the patches.

Good luck out there! Watch your back.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Reason to buy Black Flag #1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V1Phu3PoYNc

I was almost tempted on this basis, but then I go to the store and the top curator recommendation for this game is:
    "An Assassins Creed game that's not entirely boring! It's still a bit boring, but you've got a ship this time and can do piratey things, so there's that."

Well, that and "requires uplay account".

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Almost in perfect unison @CorporateLogo and @Darth Waiter have gifted me Hack N Slash and Neverending Nightmares.

I am both terrified of honored.

• Options
    I don't see how people can be bored by AC, but it's not up to me. Also, if you like the shanties some of them are on the soundtrack and they have another soundtrack with the rest of them and the authentic songs of the time

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I don't agree with that assessment much at all, but it is very much an AC game. I am predisposed to like then but if it's not your thing in general then it may not click with you.

If the uPlay is anything like Far Cry 3 on Steam it is not very intrusive.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    In retaliation, @Sassori gifted me the Fable Anniversary.

I want you to imagine me narrowing me eyes right now, ma'am.

You will rue this day.

No, but seriously, thank you very much.

• Options
    @Sassori‌

i7sfks0oxqwk.jpg

MAYBE I WILL, WHATCHA SAYIN' NOW HUH? NOTHING THAT'S WHAT!

seriously though thank you a whole bunch! I've heard a lot of good things about this game and was always on the fence about it because of the touch device -> pc translation, now you took care of that!
    <3

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Yes yes. My vengeance was swift and decisive.

Mwahahaha

• Options
    I don't agree with that assessment much at all, but it is very much an AC game. I am predisposed to like then but if it's not your thing in general then it may not click with you.

Personally, I think that person's assessment was an example of "I'm too cool for this popular game"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Sassori wrote: »
    Yes yes. My vengeance was swift and decisive.

Mwahahaha

"I am the one who gifts."

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Personally, I think that person's assessment was an example of "I'm too cool for this popular game"

100% agree. Jeez, that comment just reeks of "urgh the popular thing people enjoy". Jaded-ass hipster motherfu*grumblegrumble*

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    I've still got a free copy of DF-9. Send me your info and I will jam it down your stocking.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or did Planetary Annihilation go on sale for 75% off? I seem to have missed it.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh man, another one of those widely successful and popular games.

I guess this one isn't a complete trashcan fire maybe. I guess.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    some people don't like the repetitiveness and sometimes jankiness of AC's gameplay

more at 11

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Did steam just like break for anyone else? I was getting a regular store page and it was telling me to sign in but would just sit there trying. I restarted it and I can't even login.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Did steam just like break for anyone else? I was getting a regular store page and it was telling me to sign in but would just sit there trying. I restarted it and I can't even login.

Yeah my steam blowed up.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I was just coming here to ask if steam was down for anyone else so

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    some people don't like the repetitiveness and sometimes jankiness of AC's gameplay

more at 11

Eleven o'clock?

Sure, if that's when you need to get your daily dose of information.

I prefer a different time, but it's a really obscure time and you've probably never heard of it.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I was just coming here to ask if steam was down for anyone else so

Me too!

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Oh good, I got a bunch of emails saying I was requesting a login from a new device, everything looks legit, like its a steam email address and website but I clicked the link for viewing info about the login attempt and the page is in Italian I think, for some reason.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Ahhhhh thanks @el_vicio‌ for Skulls of the Shogun!

This discussion has been closed.