As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Steam Holiday Miracle is over!

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited January 2015 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thILxw6wBJE

xnbZAQi.jpg

xvWPO08.jpg

JNqlFII.jpg

It's the STEAM holiday sale! Gather your friends and family, gather around the computer and let the warm girth of Gaben wash over you.

For gifting purposes: If your Steam name is different from your forum name, can you please put your steam profile in your sig? It helps random strangers gie you gifts and become your friend!

Brolo on

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Sup Steam thread

I finished up a Necrophage campaign in Endless Legend, and then immediately started up an Ardent Mages one. Man, that is a hard gear to shift out of.

"What are all these new techs? Dip... Lo.. Macy? The fuck's that?"

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Pooro, it's actually 'Dip Low Macy.'

Think of it as a preemptive strike that stuns your prospective opponent for several turns through the hypnotic gyrations of Macy Grey dipping low.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Styx seems pretty cool sofar

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    So it looks like more people are getting Euro Truck. This pleases me.

Now we all just need to multiplayer and caravan while voice chatting.

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Also one of my buddies gifted me the Cyan Worlds pack, which came with most of the Myst games, so I played through Myst and Riven recently.

But I'm kind of annoyed that I can't find a digital copy of Exile anywhere. I know its supposed to be the worst of the series, but it has to be better than Uru.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I started playing Akrham Oranges

some of this feels... kinda half-baked

arkham city had a pretty dumb thing where they populated a gigantic section of the city with criminals, but it was at least explained by the game

I don't really get why every rooftop in gotham has criminals in it in Arkham origins

the entire thing feels kinda like a mod for arkham city, outside of the boss fights

it's like pretty much the exact same gameplay, but in slightly different areas and with less polish

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    it's christmas eve, rolo

everybody is in bed so santa will come give them presents

except for criminals, who stopped believing in santa

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I actually think Exile is the best one overall.

Revelations is the worst one.

It's frustrating that Ubisoft hasn't released them digitally.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    it's christmas eve, rolo

1uvXE5H.jpg

I should be able to run around gotham and stealth gift criminals

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    it's christmas eve, rolo

1uvXE5H.jpg

I should be able to run around gotham and stealth gift criminals

As great as that page is, the next page is the best part of the whole comic, and possibly one of humanity's greatest achievements in general.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I like the Steam elves and the cute little character traits on their wallpaper images

I just needed to communicate that

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I almost bought Dark Souls 2 before I remembered that there's that new version coming out next year. I already have it on ps3, so I think I'll hold out

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I like the Steam elves and the cute little character traits on their wallpaper images

I just needed to communicate that

I really loved the snowglobe art from last holiday's sale:

lm4HRRm.jpg

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I probably won't be getting anything this sale unless something on my wishlist goes on a DEEP discount. I have so many games I want to play that buying more would be pretty absurd.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    My favorite is Blasé for obvious reasons

eSptpSb.jpg

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Reminder for Euro Trucks people who are gonna play the multi mod, don't use the same profile that you'll be using in single player. The multiplayer mod screws up the expiration times on jobs to where all jobs have something like thousands of years left before they expire and then you can't ever get new jobs.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I feel obliged to point out that Beyond Earth and Space Engineers were both huge letdowns for me.

If you're looking at those and wanting to scratch an itch, just wait for Endless Legend and Kerbal Space Program to go on sale.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ugh, Civ V

I probably should have found some heroin to download instead

this damn game lol

• Options
    I feel that Space Engineers and Kerbal are trying to do two very different things.

• Options
    I feel that Space Engineers and Kerbal are trying to do two very different things.

Well, reasonably different, I suppose. Both involve sandbox environments in which you are building spaceships that are commanded by individually controlled avatars of the user.

It's just that KSP does what it is trying to do particularly well while Space Engineers does what it is trying to do particularly poorly.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

Space Engineers is great and really only can be compared to Kerbal if on the basis that they both have space ships

Kerbal is trying to simulate actual space travel

Space Engineers is a sandbox to make big dumb ships to crash into your friends and blow up astroids

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I really want Elite Dangerous but it's not on steam, just came out, can only be bought on their website and will probably be $60 for a long long time.

• Options
    But the actual moving around in the asteroid field is awful and so is the shipbuilding.

Why do the ships slow to 0kph almost immediately when you let go of the gas pedal? Momentum and gravity are nonsense concepts in Space Engineers.

• Options
    I'm gonna wait for a while on Elite reviews, i've heard some people saying it's great and other people saying it's too directionless and kinda flat

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    But the actual moving around in the asteroid field is awful and so is the shipbuilding.

Why do the ships slow to 0kph almost immediately when you let go of the gas pedal? Momentum and gravity are nonsense concepts in Space Engineers.

Because the game isn't trying to simulate physics in a realistic manner? I mean, it's cool if that's not your thing but it doesn't mean it's a bad game.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Because you didn't turn off auto intertia dampeners that automatically turn on your forward thrusters to bring you to a stop when you let go of accelerate. I usually turn them off and my ship just keeps going in whatever direction I last was moving in until I thrust in the opposite direction

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Out Of ContextOut Of Context Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Turn off the inertial dampeners. Your ship is automatically stopping itself when they're on.

e: woops, i'm blind

Out Of Context on
  • Options
    See, I thought it was a sandbox physics simulator, but apparently it's a sandbox surreal physics simulator?

I guess I would prefer a sandbox magical realism simulator.

When your crew gets stuck in orbit forever the Captain cries a river of tears for his crew that turns into rings around the planet visible from the surface.

• Options
    I have no idea why you would think it was a simulator of any kind

All the trailers and videos for it are just the developers crashing ships into asteroid to watch them explode

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Lemme just log in and vote to get my holiday card and

Jq2F3cU.jpg

oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh, Thank you @Naphtali‌ !

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    3PzSEyc.jpg

This always seemed like the most direct comparison for Space Engineers.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    New "Flash" deals are up: Doorkickers, Monaco, Dead Space 2, Broforce, Broken Age, and Defense Grid 2.

• Options
    I guess I'm confused at this point; what is the definition of "simulator" as a game genre if it does not include a game based around building spaceships out of component parts, flying them around, and allowing the game engine to sort out how each component piece would behave during any given velocity change or collision event?

I don't mean to offend; it's just a negative review. I don't think it delivered.

• Options
    I guess I'm confused at this point; what is the definition of "simulator" as a game genre if it does not include a game based around building spaceships out of component parts, flying them around, and allowing the game engine to sort out how each component piece would behave during any given velocity change or collision event?

I don't mean to offend; it's just a negative review. I don't think it delivered.

Think of it as Minecraft, but in space. The point is to build cool shit and blow asteroids up. It has it's own physics, but interacting with them in any meaningful way isn't the focus of the game.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KSP, on the other hand, is about building functional ships and dealing with a supposedly realistic physics engine. Interacting with it's physics is the entire point of the game. The two game's goals are completely seperate.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure KSP has those cartoonish guys because having realistic looking people would be absolutely horrific when something like them drifting off into space happens because oops successful detachment and rockets didn't fire. So long space cowboy.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure KSP has those cartoonish guys because having realistic looking people would be absolutely horrific when something like them drifting off into space happens because oops successful detachment and rockets didn't fire. So long space cowboy.

I build my lost Kerbonauts monuments on the worlds they died conquering.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    I started playing Akrham Oranges

some of this feels... kinda half-baked

arkham city had a pretty dumb thing where they populated a gigantic section of the city with criminals, but it was at least explained by the game

I don't really get why every rooftop in gotham has criminals in it in Arkham origins

the entire thing feels kinda like a mod for arkham city, outside of the boss fights

it's like pretty much the exact same gameplay, but in slightly different areas and with less polish

yeah, in the big picture origins definitely has this "arkham city fanfic" feel to it

the world/level geometry is one of the biggest problems with the game. the environments for way too many indoor combat encounters are cramped or crooked just enough that it's way too easy to have the fight naturally flow up against a wall or into a corner where you can't actually see who you're fighting well enough to know where to strike or when to counter or if you can even strike or counter anyone at all. and in outdoor or brightly lit fights, the white popup for normal counters can blend into the white background. it's also hard to read exactly what kind of enemy you're fighting: the broken bottle reskin of the knife is small enough that it can be hard to tell that an enemy is holding it until they start attacking you, and martial artists aren't especially distinctive (especially when compared to the ninjas from arkham city, who have a similar gimmick), especially if you're fighting them in NG+ where there's no counter indicators. origins is also the only arkham game where i've outright fallen through the world (more than once, even). and there is one sequence later in the game that's really riffing hard on asylum's scarecrow sequences but is way too obtuse about guiding you to what you need to do and where to do it.

the riddler trophies are really padded and even more repetitive than they were in city. like there are at least five different trophies where the puzzle is just a copy-paste of "see a blocked-off door on a rooftop and blow it up with gel to pick up a trophy sitting right inside the door", and a similar number where the puzzle is "block off a steam vent and walk/crawl past the vent to pick up a trophy that was just around the corner". the boss fights are also padded in that they have a little too much health (especially firefly, who ends up repeating the same dumb patter after you've brought him down a couple times), and countering or evading their specific moves can be kind of obtuse.

the upgrade trees are frustrating because all of the actually useful and fun upgrades are either gated off behind upgrades that are purely defensive and boring (e.g. eight different armor upgrades) or are locked off as rewards for beating specific villains later in the game. like the critical strike and combo disarm moves are really important and effective moves, but you won't get them until well past halfway through the game.

if origins were the only sequel to arkham asylum, it'd still be really impressive despite its flaws. there are parts of the narrative that were surprisingly effective: origins definitely makes better use of bane than asylum/city did (and i think the same could be said for the main villain, though that's more debatable). the crime scene puzzles are sometimes clever, and they're the only time that arkham batman actually comes across as a detective rather than just a monomaniac who wanders around obsessively collecting glowing green question marks. all in all it's definitely a less refined and more meandering game than city but it's still a good game, though the individual parts that are weaker can be really really frustrating when they do stand out.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i started playing endless legend on the rare occasion that I had free time last weekend.

I'm enjoying it. I think. I may have to up the difficulty a bit. It seems a bit, easy. But I'm still learning.

Still haven't gone back to my first game of Beyond Earth. But the Civ 5 bug is itching at me. My boss at work just started playing it and man, he's having a ball.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I have now purchased Euro Truck

the unshakeable logic for this was that I would actually be losing money if I didn't, it being only 3.75

Totally unshakeable

This discussion has been closed.