Options

Yellow [Chat]

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    I've never heard a Taylor Swift song.

I'm not sure I have ever heard a Kanye West song.

Oh, Neco

My sweet summer child

Go on youtube and watch "Shake it Off"

It'll be in your head all day

OK

I have heard a Taylor Swift song now.

I thought she was country.

she used to be

then she realized once you go all-in to that crowd, you can't really ever come back.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Tay Sway isn't just some pop star. She is actually one of the most successful artists of all time. 1989 is already the biggest album in over a decade.

no she's still just a pop star

record sales don't turn her into some transcendent being

I mean he's talking about success though. Record sales are a totally legitimate measure of success

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Katy Perry's "This is how we do," while carrying a catchy beat, is possibly one of the most inane songs I've ever heard.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Katy Perry's "This is how we do," while carrying a catchy beat, is possibly one of the most inane songs I've ever heard.

It was released as a single over a year after the first single from the album was. That seems...not right

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Eating breakfast and get a text from my work senpai.

Something with the stuff from last night wasn't right.

Work on it for 20 minutes. Drive to work and finish it. Call and talk to him. Send him a different set since I was told something else. I figured we were just doing an ordering thing.

I am so sick of these stupid maps.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

Oh, Neco

My sweet summer child

God damn it.

Reported to NATO, they'll try you for this crime against humanity.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Another day applying for jobs. Waiting for the axe to drop.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    mac's swedish accent is amazing

also 100% accurate

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2015
    1989 is already the biggest album in over a decade.

This doesn't seem to be true. The Fame sold 15,000,000 worldwide. 1989 has no worldwide figures on wiki that I can find but they comments on commercial success put it nowhere that.

Bogart on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere is one of my favourite names for propaganda concepts ever

it's so gloriously cumbersome

The runner up has to be Democratic Peoples Republic of [Anywhere]

It's one of those truisms of political naming conventions; the more allusions to freedom and prosperity within the title, more fascistic the ideology.

the united kingdom works in the same manner

Really? What in the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" implies freedom and prosperity? "United"? Well what about the USA in that case?

• Options
    I probably have heard Taylor Swift but I don't like pop music. Wasn't a fan really since third grade. And Katy Perry is permanently tied in my head to whip cream shooting bras.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere is one of my favourite names for propaganda concepts ever

It's one of those truisms of political naming conventions; the more allusions to freedom and prosperity within the title, more fascistic the ideology.

Really? What in the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" implies freedom and prosperity? "United"? Well what about the USA in that case?

Pretty sure they're talking about the "united" part.

(i.e. not united at all with fractional countries hanging together, as opposed to the suggested unity that few other countries mention)

• Options
    And Adele annihilates that with 30,000,000 sales for 21.

• Options
    We all know the greatest danger is United People's Republic of Glorious Canuckistan.

Worst ever I say.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Oh, Neco

My sweet summer child

OK

she used to be

then she realized once you go all-in to that crowd, you can't really ever come back.

As someone who listens to a bit of country, no.

She was not country. She was always stupid, derivative, targeted pop with a little bit of slide guitar.

She sucks, is the point I'm trying to get across here.

• Options

oh fuck things have been taken seriously

what do i do :(

• Options
    Leitner wrote: »

(i.e. not united at all with fractional countries hanging together, as opposed to the suggested unity that few other countries mention)

also ain't no king

though there are several doms

• Options
    Leitner wrote: »

Maybe, but Unity as a concept does not really overlap in my mental Venn Diagram with freedom and prosperity. Maybe if it was peace.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    HA5YlMll.jpg

DemonStacey is that you

That's rad as fk.

But is if were me, that would totes be a wolfy and not a lion.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Though damn. Taylor swifts record sales are kind of insane. Completely dwarfs katy perry

See. In 10 years, Katy Perry will be that person you remember some songs by. Tay Sway will still be an institution. Beyonce is probably the right comparison.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

It was 2014's best selling album despite being released October 27th, and had the biggest opening week in over a decade. That's probably what SKFM is referencing. But in terms of overall sales it's tough to compare, not knowing how digital sales are being counted, etc

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    1989 is already the biggest album in over a decade.

This doesn't seem to be true. The Fame sold 15,000,000 worldwide. 1989 has no worldwide figures on wiki that I can find but they comments on commercial success put it nowhere that.

1989 is much newer than those albums. I wonder how it is trending vs them. It definitely had the bigger release.

• Options

oh fuck things have been taken seriously

what do i do :(

Start a proxy civil war in a neighbouring country to distract the population and crush internal dissent.

• Options
    Taylor Swift seems to more successful in selling records than Katy Perry but not as good as Lady Gaga or Beyonce. And no-one is as good as Adele.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

having the top selling album in the US in two consecutive years with the same album is super impressive

• Options
    I kind of like Adele's music. The lady has some major singing chops.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    it's cool that we can say wrong things and then qualify them later

it's like we're kanye!

• Options
    OK, biggest opening week, sure. Biggest album of the last decade? Nooooope.

I can't really see it beating Adele's 21, though. 30 million sales is insane. Or The Fame, actually.

• Options
    i have no idea how the Sunny guys got this week's episode past standards and practices

• Options
    Hmm, just off the phone with my Mum: Her eldest Brother was diagnosed with suspected angina around Christmas, and went in for a dye test yesterday to confirm it. Upon which he was immediately referred to hospital in need of bypass surgery.

Intellectually it's probably good they found this out on this side of a heart attack (i.e. he hasn't had one), but it's still worrying that he needs such surgery and will be hospitalised for a month.

Also we're kinda surprised. My mother's family has had fairly good cardiac health unless the individual was a heavy smoker.

• Options
    Taylor Swift seems to more successful in selling records than Katy Perry but not as good as Lady Gaga or Beyonce. And no-one is as good as Adele.

Hmm

The fame has sold 4.5 mil US since release 5 or 6 years ago, 1989 broke 4 mil in 12 weeks

I can't find worldwide swift numbers yet. I would imagine gaga and especially Adele had better sales overseas than t swizzle but swift is looking like an all-timer when it comes to US sales

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2015

It was 2014's best selling album despite being released October 27th, and had the biggest opening week in over a decade. That's probably what SKFM is referencing. But in terms of overall sales it's tough to compare, not knowing how digital sales are being counted, etc

Her choice to completely back out of spotify means that some percentage of the millions of people who get their music fix that way may have broken down and purchased her album off of iTunes/Google Play/Amazon instead.

Also, further info from wikipedia
    The album was a commercial success, debuting at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 and selling 1,287,000 copies. In doing so, the album had the highest sales week since 2002, and made Swift the first artist to have three albums sell one million or more copies in a week. 1989 eventually became 2014's best-selling album and in the week beginning January 18, 2015, the four millionth U.S. sale of the album was registered.

She sold 4 million copies to people in the USA in less than 4 months, and did something apparently no artist - not the Beatles, not The Stones, not Madonna, not Beyonce, not Gaga - has been able to do.

It's kind of nuts. The girl is 24? 25? And at least from all accounts has a pretty decent head on her shoulders and hasn't succumbed to the booze/drugs/rehab cycle many megastars end up in. Whole lotta career ahead of her at this rate.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Ok 1989 just crossed 6 million worldwide in roughly 14 weeks

I dunno how much sales fall off as time goes by but I'd say it's got a pretty great chance of beating The Fame's 15 mil. Adele.......don't know

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Hmm, just off the phone with my Mum: Her eldest Brother was diagnosed with suspected angina around Christmas, and went in for a dye test yesterday to confirm it. Upon which he was immediately referred to hospital in need of bypass surgery.

Intellectually it's probably good they found this out on this side of a heart attack (i.e. he hasn't had one), but it's still worrying that he needs such surgery and will be hospitalised for a month.

Also we're kinda surprised. My mother's family has had fairly good cardiac health unless the individual was a heavy smoker.

Hope your uncle pulls through o.k. RMS.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus are the same person in my head.

This is what it is like to be old. I'll start calling my laptop a Nintendo soon and voting ukip

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    omg @gooey

man rescue dog!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6mSOarqsE

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    the Nielson list of the top selling albums of the 00's is nuts
    1. The Beatles, 1,11,499,000 units sold
    2. ‘NSYNC, No Strings Attached, 11,112,000 units sold
    3. Norah Jones, Come Away With Me, 10, 546,000 units sold
    4. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP, 10,204,000 units sold
    5. Eminem, The Eminem Show, 9,799,000 units sold
    6. Usher, Confessions, 9,712,000 units sold
    7. Linkin Park, Hybrid Theory, 9,663,000 units sold
    8. Creed, Human Clay, 9,491,000 units sold
    9. Britney Spears, Oops! … I Did It Again, 9,185,000 units sold
    10. Nelly, Country Grammar, 8,461,000 units sold

Norah Jones? Creed? Nelly?

The fuck, America?

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I haven't listened to much new music in the last 5 or so years. I'm definitely becoming an old.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

Oh, Neco

My sweet summer child

OK

she used to be

As someone who listens to a bit of country, no.

She was not country.

http://youtu.be/GkD20ajVxnY

wut

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ok 1989 just crossed 6 million worldwide in roughly 14 weeks

I dunno how much sales fall off as time goes by but I'd say it's got a pretty great chance of beating The Fame's 15 mil. Adele.......don't know

Adele's album is a monster. It has one of those "perfect storm" cross-audience, records I doubt we will see beaten for a very long time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.