As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forza 2

BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
Forza Motorsport 2
release date: May 29th U.S.
developer: Turn 10 studios
publisher: Microsoft

what is it?: What began as microsofts answer to gran turismo (forza 1) has become a beast of its own. a "real life driving simulator" with an INSANE amount of customization.

how many cars?: over 300 heres the official car list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forza_2_Car_List

how many tracks?: 13, with a total of 65 different variations.
real world tracks: laguna seca, mugello, nurburgring, road atlanta, sebring, silverstone, suzuka, tsukuba circuit, and nissan speedway.
fictional tracks: maple valley, new york circuit, sunset peninsula, test track

hows the game engine?: sounds too good to be true. it runs at 60 fps, with 360 fps on the physics. this supposedly creates the most realistic driving experience yet in a videogame.

notables?: well, if youve got 4 xboxes, and 4 tvs, you can link them all together and create a full 360 degree driving view. also, the collectors edition of the game will come with 3 extra cars, and a 157 page booklet. the game will also fully utilize the 360 steering wheel, force feedback, rumble, etc. basically the only reason right now to buy a $150 peripheral.

pretties?: yes. below are screenshots.
847_0001.jpg
847_0001.jpg
847_0002.jpg
847_0001.jpg

edit: changed thread title, since its no longer april.

http://xboxyde.com/news_4286_en.html
a whole slew of screenshots from the latest preview build.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/785/785649p1.html
ign australia's newest hands-on preview.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
BaronVonSnakPak on

• Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So bought. I just hope I'm not still playing Pokemon for 7 hours per day when it comes out though.

bruin on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am so excited for this game. I haven't played a Forza before but this looks so shit hot. They have to get this fucking demo out like now.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    DulathDulath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The depth of field blurring is cool, but why are we still seeing jaggies? You'd think that anti-aliasing would have been a built-in hardware feature by now.

Anyways, all my dicks or cumming for PGR4 and this game. Who needs GT5?

Dulath on
    sig.PNG
    Disclaimer: Actual Google banner ad captured at www.serebii.net
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Dulath wrote: »
    The depth of field blurring is cool, but why are we still seeing jaggies? You'd think that anti-aliasing would have been a built-in hardware feature by now.

Anyways, all my dicks or cumming for PGR4 and this game. Who needs GT5?

In motion the jaggies aren't nearly as bad from what I've seen.

Also, 60FPS and 360 physics updates/second for the win.

bruin on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope they don't put that stupid race line in it like in the first Forza. People can complain all they want about the license system in GT, but I had more replay fun in the end with GT because it actually made me learn to drive rather than just staring at a green->red line. Plus not being able to turn it off in multiplayer just kind of ruined it. (Don't know if they later patched that, I got bored with my xbox and cancelled my Live sub a long time ago.)

Good game, stupid easy mode driving line epic fail.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
  • Options
    CriptCript Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    FightTest wrote: »
    I hope they don't put that stupid race line in it like in the first Forza. People can complain all they want about the license system in GT, but I had more replay fun in the end with GT because it actually made me learn to drive rather than just staring at a green->red line. Plus not being able to turn it off in multiplayer just kind of ruined it. (Don't know if they later patched that, I got bored with my xbox and cancelled my Live sub a long time ago.)

Turn it off?

Cript on
    Dirty+RNA.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Really? Weird. I never saw the line online .

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    found this video today that made me..... well.... you know..

http://www.media.allerinternett.no/km_fil/0/2343090.wmv

edit:

Uhh.... you COULD turn it off. So... you're nuts.

Also, they've added a new version of it to Forza2. It'll only show red arrows in corners, and only then when you're really going too fast.. it's apparently a lot less intrusive. So... :^:

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm torn, it looks great, and the physics and customisation look shit hot, but then, I want PGR4, maybe Colin McRae DiRT, maybe SEGA Rally... I can't own that many racing games, there is no point.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't been this excited about a racing game since GT3. Ohhh, I can't wait to mess around with the painting.

PS. mor pix plz

knigge on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm torn, it looks great, and the physics and customisation look shit hot, but then, I want PGR4, maybe Colin McRae DiRT, maybe SEGA Rally... I can't own that many racing games, there is no point.

Forza2 > McRae DiRT > SEGA Rally.

For the love of god, you CANNOT put McRae or Sega Rally in front of Forza2. That's just... blasphemy.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Forza2 > McRae DiRT > SEGA Rally.

For the love of god, you CANNOT put McRae or Sega Rally in front of Forza2. That's just... blasphemy.

Yessir!!

Just have to wait for reviews I guess, or maybe more screens of the others. Don't get me wrong, Forza 2 looks damned awesome, and I'm sure there will be lots of online shenanigans. I'm just holding out on more PGR4 info, I guess.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The LINE is what made my wife and I like Forza! We both enjoy racing games every now and then but are absolutely terrible at them. Forza helped teach us how to race instead of just giving me a car to crash into a wall. Plus, you know, turning it off. I did like their difficulty setting, you could tweak all kinds of things but the easier you made it on yourself the less rewards you would get. :^:

Accualt on
  • Options
    DulathDulath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm really quite surprised by DiRT. I played Colin McRae Rally 3 on the PC several years ago, graphics were great, physics fluid and dynamic... I may end up owning three racing games this summer :|

Dulath on
    sig.PNG
    Disclaimer: Actual Google banner ad captured at www.serebii.net
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    The LINE is what made my wife and I like Forza! We both enjoy racing games every now and then but are absolutely terrible at them. Forza helped teach us how to race instead of just giving me a car to crash into a wall. Plus, you know, turning it off. I did like their difficulty setting, you could tweak all kinds of things but the easier you made it on yourself the less rewards you would get. :^:

If you really want to learn how to drive well, get yourself a copy of Gran Turismo 1 with both manuals. The 2nd manual is a small guidebook on how to corner effectively and find the racing line. It's extremely in-depth and worth tracking down.

Failing that, pick up a copy of GT3 for $4 used. While the driving tips section of the manual is much smaller (1/2 a manual instead of a full separate manual), it's top-notch stuff written by the instructors from the Skip Barber School of Racing.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The problem with just "turning it off" was that I played pretty much exclusively online. And like I said, they may have patched it so hosts could turn it off, but when I was playing it (for a little while after release) you couldn't. So you could either leave it on, or be at a giant handicap trying to play for real while everyone else stared at a line on the road.

Plus when I stopped playing the game had degenerated into everyone using Enzos all the time.

If they patched it so you could turn the line off, great. But when I was playing you couldn't and it just made multiplayer get boring quickly.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Alright, I preordered it off Amazon, so I can get that car (I fell for it, I know, but I saved a few bucks). Has anyone else done this?

Also, has anyone heard of where to buy the limited edition? It's supposed to come with what, 2 or 3 cars? I don't know man. 10 bucks for a couple cars? Seems kinda outrageous to me.

knigge on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    3 cars and a 157 page booklet.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Meh, I say.

knigge on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    3 cars and a 157 page booklet.

What is this booklet you speak of?

bruin on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    other than the fact that its a booklet, and it has 157 pages, i have no idea.

i can speculate that itll either talk about:
    a- driving techniques
    b- the making of the game
    c- tuning the cars for the best performance
    d- combination of any of the prior 3 mentioned

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shit. Hearing about these collector's edition cars makes me pissed off. At least I got a $49.99 pre-order through amazon with free shipping. I'll probably just do what I did with crackdown and buy it from bestbuy upon release and then return the one I get from amazon. Yeah, it's kinda shady, but they won't mind.

How come in the video linked above the cars still make asphalt skidding sounds when sliding through dirt?

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man I hope that's a really early build or something. The damage displayed in the aforementioned video was bullshit. I want sweet wrecks but who am I kidding I'm going to play the shit out of this game.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    this is by far the game im most excited over this year. more than halo, more than bioshock, more than spore. i NEED this game.

although i still play forza 1 almost daily, however im not very good at it, its just fun to pick up and play. (i have the lines on most the time, only because im not that serious about it, learning the tracks is the hardest part, if you do that and you know what corners are coming up you really dont need the lines. until then though you're just driving blind.)

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Options
    coffin joecoffin joe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just driving along, having some fun.
    847_0008.jpg

coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I don't get it. :(

knigge on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This will be my next 360 purchase. Then I'll finally be able to show my roommates what I mean when I call their Need For Speed infatuation shite.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never owned a racing wheel before, but this game looks like it might push me over the edge and force me to by one. Does the wheel work for PC as well?

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    This will be my next 360 purchase. Then I'll finally be able to show my roommates what I mean when I call their Need For Speed infatuation shite.

This was going to be possibly my first 360 purchase ... but PGR3 took that spot today thanks to the compusa closeouts. It was a whopping $10 or so.

Funny thing is that I don't have a 360. It's going to be a pseudo gift for my roommate, but he doesn't play racing games at all.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    coffin, is that nurburgring?

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    coffin, is that nurburgring?

That certainly is. (and coffin appears MIA)

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Took a look at the car list.

WOO AE86

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    davidbarry wrote: »
    I've never owned a racing wheel before, but this game looks like it might push me over the edge and force me to by one. Does the wheel work for PC as well?

im not sure about the pc, but ive got the wheel and its a solid peripheral.

i downloaded a couple demos to see if it works with other games aswell and so far it works with:

pgr3 (takes some time to get used to)
    nfs: most wanted (this and carbon are both REALLY hard to play with the wheel, but its possible)
    nfs: carbon
    burnout (challenging, but better than the nfs')

honestly, though, i bought the wheel for forza, dirt, and sega rally. not only because all 3 look like 31 flavors of awesome, but also because the wheel came out before them and hopefully will be utilized the best.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    davidbarry wrote: »

im not sure about the pc, but ive got the wheel and its a solid peripheral.

If I can use the wheel for both Forza 2 and Live For Speed on PC, I'll be a very happy man. Perhaps it will require that USB adapter for the Wireless 360 controllers?

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Damn you! For a second I thought you changed the title because the demo had come out.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Damn you! For a second I thought you changed the title because the demo had come out.

sorry, once the demo comes out i'll change the title again.

i dont even care that its not the full game, i just want to play it that bad, and im really getting tired of pgr3. i dont know whos bright idea it was to make a racing game chalk full of shitty little mini game-esque events instead of, you know, actual races....

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Baron, I had the privilage of trying Forza 2 about 2 months ago on the super sexy 4 screen setup at turn 10 (wheel, pedals, seat, surround sound, all that jazz).

All the stuff about the absolutely insane physics system, the 60fps constant, the functionality with the wheel and pedals, perfect scale recreation of the real world tracks and damage models that leave debris on the track for the entire race, ALL of it was dead on accurate, even in the older build 2 months ago (and that build was 1 month old at the time). I can't claim to be a fan of sim style titles like Gran Turismo since the genre has NEVER appealed to me terribly much, plunging the console back towards mario kart, fzero, wipeout, and other bizarre pure fun racing games. Forza 2 however COMPLETELY got me hooked. Everything in that game works so incredibly well together that the fun, speed, and accurate representation of the cars and race just flow through to you.

I'm not worried at ALL about turn 10's efforts, and expect this to be a fantastic title all around. The only thing i'm unsure about is controller play since that's pretty much completely less immersive than the wheel and pedals, but that just remains to be seen. :D

The car customization and realtime stats like tire heat and wear, shock load bearing percentages, and all the other really high tech figures during races is awesome. Like have a personal trainer/machinery or something for your racing style and car.

tl;dr: Forza 2 is rad. :D

Polago on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    PolaGo wrote: »
    Baron, I had the privilage of trying Forza 2 about 2 months ago on the super sexy 4 screen setup at turn 10 (wheel, pedals, seat, surround sound, all that jazz).

All the stuff about the absolutely insane physics system, the 60fps constant, the functionality with the wheel and pedals, perfect scale recreation of the real world tracks and damage models that leave debris on the track for the entire race, ALL of it was dead on accurate, even in the older build 2 months ago (and that build was 1 month old at the time). I can't claim to be a fan of sim style titles like Gran Turismo since the genre has NEVER appealed to me terribly much, plunging the console back towards mario kart, fzero, wipeout, and other bizarre pure fun racing games. Forza 2 however COMPLETELY got me hooked. Everything in that game works so incredibly well together that the fun, speed, and accurate representation of the cars and race just flow through to you.

I'm not worried at ALL about turn 10's efforts, and expect this to be a fantastic title all around. The only thing i'm unsure about is controller play since that's pretty much completely less immersive than the wheel and pedals, but that just remains to be seen. :D

The car customization and realtime stats like tire heat and wear, shock load bearing percentages, and all the other really high tech figures during races is awesome. Like have a personal trainer/machinery or something for your racing style and car.

tl;dr: Forza 2 is rad. :D

i was hoping i could delay purchasing this until its price came down, but dammit sir you are not helping.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never played Forza 1, nor have I payed attention to Forza 2, but does this game have an in-car view? It doesn't make or break the purchase for me, but God damn do I love that view in Project Gotham Racing 3.

Edit: And dammit, PolaGo. You're going to make me buy a wheel controller now.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166