As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diplomacy] JPP01 - Game Called: Italy Wins!

JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Critical Failures
Diplomacy!

Please read all of this post if you would like to play. Diplomacy is a strategy game for seven players and a gamemaster. It is sometimes compared to Risk but has key differences — all players move simultaneously, only one unit can occupy a territory at once, no dice are rolled, and defenders always win ties. The conduct of back-channel negotiations, alliances, and the dreaded backstab are key elements of the game. We will be playing the standard turn-of-the-century Europe map (see below), but if this goes well and I don't end up totally burnt out by the end of it, I might consider a variant in the future. Due to time constraints I will only be running one game at a time.

A good introduction to the rules of the game is here; if you read nothing else, read this. Prosthetic Conscience has also run two games on the forums already which you might want to read through (please note I have added some rules regarding communications that he did not specify in his own games — again, read this whole post). Hasbro's official rules are here (pdf) and there is also Wikipedia. See also the Diplomacy Archive FAQ.

Added: Rules clarification about coastal movement.

The Diplomacy Archive and the Diplomatic Pouch have a wealth of articles from the long history of the hobby. I highly recommend reading through them, not only to get some ideas for strategy for yourself but also to be aware of what your opponents might be up to!

Deadlines

The game will start 10 PM, Sunday February 10th. Please do not send any game messages prior to this. This is the planned schedule of seasons (note that all times are Eastern Standard Time zone).
Spring1901 — Ends 10 PM Wednesday Feb 13th
(Spring retreats) — (N/A)
Fall 1901 — Ends 10 PM Saturday Feb 16th
(Fall retreats and builds) —Ends 10 PM Sunday Feb 17th
Spring 1902 —Ends 10 PM Tuesday Feb 19th
(Spring retreats) — Ends 10 PM Weds Feb 20th
Fall 1902 — Ends 10 PM Friday Feb 22rd
(Fall retreats) —10 PM Saturday Feb 23rd
Winter 1902 builds — 10 PM Sunday Feb 24th

...etc.

This may not end up being an ironclad schedule, depending on the need for retreats and builds, but I will always post reminders in the thread and will do my best to keep seasons falling on the same days of the week, despite the odd number of days. Whenever possible I will post maps displaying the orders and their resolution later the same night; if this is for some reason not possible, I will endeavor to let you know. Players should probably be aware that the game will likely run for at least a month, and can potentially last much longer.

Sending Orders

I won't repeat all the rules of the game here — the links listed above do a far more thorough job than I could — but if anything is at any time unclear on how orders work please post a question in orange or (if you don't wish to be publicly identified as the questioner) PM me. It is highly highly recommended that you familiarize yourself with the complete rules of the game before play begins — particularly how bounces and supports work, since these tend to cause the most confusion. My Diplomacy experience is not massive so I will appreciate any polite corrections and your patience in the event of an error on my part.

All orders should be sent to me, JustPlainPavek, via PM on this forum, with the subject line "JPP01 - [Season Year] Orders from [Country]". You may send your orders in either complete or abbreviated form:

Complete:
Army Munich moves to Burgundy
Army Ruhr supports Army Munich's move to Burgundy
Fleet North Sea convoys Army Denmark to Belgium
Army Denmark moves to Belgium through Fleet North Sea's convoy
Army Sweden holds

Abbreviated:
A Mun moves to Bur
A Ruh supports A Mun to Bur
F Nth convoys A Den to Bel
A Den moves to Bel via F Nth convoy
A Swe holds

The abbreviated form is, with a few exceptions (which are noted on the map below) the first three letters of the province name. Looking at the map in Prosthetic Conscience's games, I just noticed that this map actually uses different abbreviations in a few cases from his; past players, please note.

If you fail to write your orders correctly, they will not be counted; if you type the wrong abbreviation, or try to support a place you can't reach, or fail to specify exactly where you are convoying through, then too bad. (You will want to take particular note in specifying the coasts of St. Petersburg, Spain and Bulgaria when moving fleets through them.) "Forgetting" to write correct orders may sometimes work as a strategy, but it may make your allies suspicious.

You may send as many sets of orders as you like up until the deadline. I actually recommend you send a placeholder set of orders first thing in the new season, just in case you aren't able to get back to the game before the next deadline. However, please note that I will delete all but the last set of orders sent without reading any of the previous ones. Thus, if you decide you want to make changes to a previous order, you must write your full set of orders in a new message if you wish for them to all take effect. If you fail to specify an order for a unit, it will Hold by default. Late orders will not be accepted.

If you fail to send any orders for two consecutive turns, your country will undergo bloody revolution and a new ruler will take your place from the reserve list. The game can be time-consuming and we all have lives outside this, but if you feel you cannot continue to play, don't leave your allies hanging; turn your position over to one of the reserves. In the event that all players cannot make a deadline (for a holiday, for example) we can announce a temporary postponement.

Lastly, please refrain from discussing build orders during the build phase. You may conduct other PMs as usual, but directly asking another player to build at a particular location during this time is forbidden, since in normal live games the build phase takes place instantaneously and those kinds of negotiations would have to have taken place beforehand.

Communications

This game is not called Diplomacy for nothing — most games involve a large amount of discussion behind the scenes. There are three principal modes of communication in the game (not counting the sending of orders to the GM detailed above):
  • Person-to-Person PMs — You are welcome to PM (or IM, or e-mail) other players as much or as little as you like during the game. You may "cc" or "bcc" more than one participant in your message, however "ccing" your Orders to anyone other than the GM is forbidden. This is strictly to preserve an element of uncertainty in the game, and you are welcome to write other players separate messages describing what your orders were (or what you claim them to be). Similarly, using screenshots / image captures of other players' messages is forbidden, but forwarding a message to another player is allowed, since the text can conceivably be altered prior to sending.

You do not need to cc the GM on regular PMs between each other. If, however, you receive a message which violates these rules, it is your responsibility as a player to report it immediately — this is the only instance in which the use of screenshots (to document the offense) is acceptable. Players who violate these rules risk losing their position in the game to a replacement ruler.

• Posting to the Game Thread — Players are welcome to post as much or as little on the public game thread as they like. Just remember that orders are sent to the GM, not posted here. It's probably not a good idea to call out your enemies in public, but then again maybe it's all a ruse to confuse your real enemy?

• Third-Party Participation — Players can enlist other forum members as mouthpieces to carry messages, anonymously or under a false flag, to the rest of the game's participants that the player himself might not want to be caught saying. It's advisable not to use people from the reserve players list to carry these messages, as they may well be joining the game at some later point. If mouthpieces post to the public game thread, they must identify themselves as a mouthpiece by posting in cyan text; the same applies for PMs. (You can add a little flavor by posing as a Swiss newspaper or American war correspondent or whatever, if you'd like.) Mouthpieces are under no obligation to answer honestly if asked who fed them their message, but the player who taps them to assist is requested to please notify the GM privately by PM prior to the mouthpiece's first message, just so I'm aware that their participation is legit.

Outside observers are also welcome in the thread, but please do not impersonate a mouthpiece messenger if you have not in fact been enlisted in that role by an active player.

Mouthpieces

The following players have either been enlisted as or volunteered their services as mouthpieces. Their non-cyan posts should be treated as normal commentary, however.
  • INeedNoSalt

Player Roster

Signups are currently full, but reserves are still open! There is a decent chance at least one or two reserves will get some action this game, so if you're following along in your armchair at home, why not sign-up as a reserve should your general-ing become needed?
  • England: Varcayn
  • France: Gumpy
  • Italy: visiblehowl
  • Germany: Stew_Stick
  • Austria: Papillon -- In Exile, Game Over!
  • Old Turks: Infidel -- Palace Coup, Inactive!
  • NEW Turks: Mad Jazz
  • Old Russian Tsar: TheLawinator -- Deposed in Revolution, Inactive!
  • NEW Russian Revolutionaries: Kayne Red Robe

Reserve

I will take a reserve of two to five players; if anyone drops out or undergoes revolution, you will be able to sub in for them and attempt to lead their country to victory as your own.
  • RESERVE ONE OPEN!
  • Reserve Two
  • Reserve Three

The Turning of the Years

Starting Map:
JPP01-Spring1901start.jpg

Questions? Let me know if anything's unclear. Reserves are still open!

JustPlainPavek on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, so the hope is to start this game this Sunday, but obviously if we don't get a full player roster by then, things will get pushed back. If you really think you're up for it and we're really desperate for players, I might be able to take one active player from each existing Diplomacy game, but I'd rather not have two people from the same outside game in this one, just because that can complicate negotiations etc. A few people are real close to being eliminated in some of the other games though so if you want to sign up here, I don't think that would be a problem.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nice OP, seems to get some of the points across better than my own ;)
    Just glad this game is continuing, I love it and hopefully it becomes something of a regular on these forums

I won't be signing up, but just posting to support. I like your mouthpieces idea, might keep the thread more alive outside of turn postings. And the idea of reserves was something that never crossed my mind, due to my GM nubiness

Will be watching this one

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks! Yeah, watching the other game threads it's impossible to tell what's going on behind the scenes, but I do want to emphasize the importance of communications and negotiations in this game. Here's hoping for good turnout and no need for bloody revolutions!

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask this question, but I figured it should be a public question.

Prosthetic Conscience: Are you planning on running an Awesome/Win All-Star game? i.e. the top 7 countries from both games? If so, I'll definitely be participating in that. If not, I predict that the Team Win game will be over within 2 weeks, so I'd like to sign up for this game.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd like to volunteer as a mouthpiece.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, visiblehowl I'll put you down as tentative at the moment — I could see your game potentially deadlocking for more than two weeks, but as long as you feel you're able to handle both games, I'm not going to turn you away. Assuming seven more people don't beat you to it, I'll take your official !signup whenever you're ready to give it.

INeedNoSalt, noted. Though if Team Awesome decides on an Axis win, I hope you'll consider signing on here, if nothing else as a reserve.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm tempted to sign up, but with my current record with forum games I feel that I will suck. That and I never played diplomacy before.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, no-one dies round one in this game, if you're worried about that. And if things are going bad, you can always try throwing in with someone else. The game is admittedly not for everyone, but I don't think it is too hard to pick up the basic rules -- if you have questions about play, I'd be happy to answer them. And the strategy articles mentioned above are a good place if you really have no idea where to begin with whatever country you draw.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm tempted to sign up, but with my current record with forum games I feel that I will suck. That and I never played diplomacy before.

The Team Win game was my first time playing Diplomacy too. You should check out the Team Win thread to see how I did. :P

(Hint: I'm yellow.)

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd be up for an all-star game. :) Awesome has kinda died off. :|

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up

I thoroughly enjoyed the Team Win game and I hope I'll have as much fun with this. :)

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    There's one!

If Team Awesome keeps going, I could take one of the three active players for this game, maybe the other two in reserves. If you settle on an Axis draw, feel free to sign up here. I don't know that Prosthetic Conscience was planning on an All-Star game but if he is that's cool too...

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Screw it! I'll play

I'd want to be Germany if I didn't know that I'd be gangbanged. Something along one of the sides would be nice.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Awesome. Five more, and we'll see what countries the random number generator pulls out of the hat.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'll play, preferably a new country for me. (Not Germany)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Screw it! I'll play

I'd want to be Germany if I didn't know that I'd be gangbanged. Something along one of the sides would be nice.

Psht, you don't get to choose.

Mostly my biggest turn-off with Diplomacy is that I'm pretty sure it's not balanced at all. Italy for example is in a shit position.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think that's accurate to the real world.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    too bad accurate and fun aren't interchangeable ideas.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign-up

I'm not an overly experienced Diplomacy player, but its a fun game; even if you do get Italy.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, countries will be randomized, but I'd say Infidel's odds of getting Germany twice in a row would be rather low.

From what I've read of the strategy articles, the consensus seems to be that most countries are pretty balanced, but Italy is the exception to the rule. (I've played Italy in the past and can definitely commiserate.) It's not impossible to win as Italy — plenty of people have written strategies articulating how you might going about this — but you are playing at a bit of a geographical disadvantage. One proposed correction to this I've read is replacing the starting Army in Rome with a Fleet; I'm open to the idea, if other people wanted to try it.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Balance is overrated.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    From what I remember reading about the game, Russia has the best win percentage.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, and Germany second I believe. But then look at the two games that have been played here and you'll see that Russia flamed out in both of them, and Germany is dominating in one and about to be eliminated in the other, and you'll see that nothing is predetermined in this game.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And yet, Russia was the first country eliminated in both of our games.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think there's generally a lot of examination of Diplomacy in terms of opening moves, win percentages, etc. but unlike Chess, Risk, or whatever the game isn't locked into those few facets because of the whole diplomacy aspect. Example being I got bowled over in a recent game I played as Russia because I got hit by both Turkey and Austria while England (although probably not in league with the first two) hit my top.

Russia starts with an extra unit, which gives them an advantage from the start, but if they try to go gungho by themselves, and the other players are at least self-aware, they'll realize what's happening and try to prevent it.

On the note of an all-stars game, I'll wait until the two games are completely finished and then throw out some PMs to the top players. Sign up for this game if you wish, and it'll be your decision if you want to play two games at once. If you choose to pass by the invite I'll drop down to the next player below you (going from most SCs/units to lowest). It'll go ahead if I have enough people from both old games willing to play.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !Sign up

Also, from what I've read Italy's strategy is to convince everyone else it's in a horrible position, and so should be ignored.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Alright, two spots on the roster left right now. Unless Infidel you'd prefer I put you on the reserve list if Prosthetic Conscience will be doing the All-Star game at some point in the next few weeks?

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This game has 3 day cycles for move orders right? I should be fine with two games.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    More or less every three days, yeah. The fall moves will be slightly shorter (two days for fall, three for spring) after the first year to accommodate for builds, but since spring immediately precedes supply center captures it tends to be the more dynamic season anyhow.

If people don't mind seasons falling on different days of the week, I have no problem just making it three and three, but I think the regularity of the calendar helps people stay on track.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If that's the schedule, I'll be fine with two games as well.

Have I officially !signed up yet?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, visiblehowl, I can sign you up. But the prospect of you and Infidel both playing in a Prosthetic Conscience All-Star game simultaneous to this one (albeit not for another couple weeks, probably) could potentially complicate your actions, alliances, etc, in either game. ("Stop attacking me over there and I'll help you out here", etc). I'm not saying it would happen but it makes me a little leery. I don't want to turn away a player and I also don't want to steal you away from Prosthetic Conscience's game, whenever that gets started. If you're both planning on joining the All-Stars once it happens, would one of you settle for a reserve spot here? Or is there some other potential solution I'm missing?

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I can promise that I will make no such collusions with Infidel, because that would be gamebreaking in nature.

I mean, you don't really know me, but what little reputation I have is one of being pretty honest. You can ask pretty much anybody who's played Phalla with me.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I realize I may be worrying needlessly here; but then this is a game where backstabbing your allies is all but encouraged. Still, I'm going to assume that the rest of your opponents would be a strong corrective measure were something like this to occur. We've almost got enough to play here and I'm itching to go. I'll take you at your word, unless there are any strong objections from the rest of the group.

That means one spot left for the player roster! Reserves still welcome afterwards, but it looks like we may well be able to kick this off this weekend.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just because I'd backstab in Diplomacy doesn't mean I'm dishonest in real life. :P

Besides, I've done remarkably little backstabbing in this game...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, sorry, I don't mean to imply that anybody's dishonest outside the game, just that the game itself can encourage, uh, tricky play. But as long as everyone can keep a cool head about it, there should be no worries. After all, the best response to a backstab is to take it, smile politely, and crush them mercilessly next game. <3

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !Sign up

Lets hope the new robotic nation does better then Robo-Germany

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Muhahaha!

Edit: Oh Shitz!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And there's seven!

Ok, I will roll up nations and post them shortly. To give everyone a chance to get situated with their country, I will say let's refrain from sending out any game messages until 10PM tomorrow. That should give people a time to check this thread, maybe read up a bit on the country if they want, and start thinking about opening strategy. Fall 1901 will last till 10PM Wednesday, but you can send in orders any time before then.

I will still encourage people to sign up for reserve spots; if my experience with Diplomacy is any guide, there is a pretty good chance that at least one or two players will drop, giving you a chance to lead a revolution against them and take control as rightful ruler of the nation.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    To be clear: is this 10 pm EST or PST?

Man, I hope I'm England or Spain.

Or Russia.

...Or Turkey.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    EST.

JustPlainPavek on