As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Call of Duty 5: Medal of Honor 5

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    intercept wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    sp1ttle wrote: »
    I second the motion of having a Korean War version. The Vietnam War had at least a Battlefield Vietnam, so why not have a CoD (or any decent war shooter) set in the Korean War?

The Korean War is one of the most under-themed games of the large World Wars, I think I've only ever seen one of them.

The problem with the Korean War, from a purely video game standpoint, is that it wasn't a terribly interesting war as far as wars go.

I mean, outside the initial conquering of virtually the entire peninsula by North Korean forces off the bat; Americans hopping over from Japan and moving the fight actually past Pyongyang before politics stopped the push to the Yalu. After that, the war shifted borders to more or less what we see today with a virtual stalemate for years. Sure, there were a few epic battles, but neither side made any progress for various reason, all political.

It just wouldn't make for a great video game to have an epic first act, then have your character sit there for 3 years in a trench while leaders make feigned attempts at cease fires and diplomacy; ending in an anti-climatic cease-fire agreement which is still in force today; seeing as how the Korean War technically still isn't over.

Anyway, it's a fascinating war from a historical and political perspective. It's just not the greatest war for entertainment purposes. And that statement sounded terrible.

MacArthur and the UN forces were nearly finished overtaking the entire peninsula, and he wanted to push into China and kept arguing with Truman that we should nuke China.

I think that was a pretty big deal. In terms of significant battles, I think the Choisin Reservoir was a pretty big deal. 300,000 UN troops managed to defeat six entire Chinese divisions after the initial shockwave.

It's a very significant war. The United States hates talking about it for several reasons:

1. We didn't win.

2. Ultimately we gained nothing from it directly, but Japan profiting enormously from the war. This was good because the United States was intentionally extremely lenient on Japan to create a strong, strategically placed ally to watch the USSR and Red China. But we don't like to talk about it because Japanese war crimes are a touchy issue for the US. We turn a blind eye to it because they're such important trade allies, and it's a bitter source of resent from China, South Korea and North Korea.

3. Even though we lost, we can get away with not talking about it or discussing it's significance in class because it was a policing action that received almost unanimous public approval. Everyone including the American public thought it was a great idea. That's why we were able to send so many troops.

We have to talk about Vietnam because it was extremely controversial and brought about less subtle changes. JFK was the guy who put is in there. Because of Vietnam Congress decided the ability for a president to declare war was too powerful, so we have the rule we go by today. A president may take an emergency military policing action to intervene in anything he sees as a threat, but he must notify Congress within 48 hours and it is Congress who decides to declare war. The second change was the age to vote. Previously you had to be 21, but people began asking why is it that we can send our 18 year old kids off to die in war but they can't vote for the people who send them to fight?

But coming back to the Korean War, I think you really underestimate how crazy that war was in terms of battles. And it would make a refreshing new commentary about war. The really sad thing is ultimately, these men literally died for nothing because of dumb politicians who couldn't play their cards right. The borders are more or less the same. The DMZ still stands there as a grim reminder of the longest ceasefire in history.

I think you didn't read what I said.
    Anyway, it's a fascinating war from a historical and political perspective. It's just not the greatest war for entertainment purposes. And that statement sounded terrible.

I could talk for days about the Korean War and its effect even up to today.

I'm just saying it'd make for a terrible FPS video game. Strategy game, maybe. Probably not an RTS though.

Also, for the discussion regarding making it like MASH; sure, you could...but you have to realize MASH (the TV show, which most people think of when they hear MASH, not the movie/book) was actually more about the Vietnam war than the Korean War, even though the show is still set in Korea. The politics and morality pushed were those of the period the show was being made in. That sounds critical but it's not. MASH is great, and a MASH game could be really fun.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Safety StickSafety Stick Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Imjin_River

That'd make for a fairly good level in a UK portion of the Campaign.

Plus Churchill Crocodiles.

Safety Stick on
    5075110276_cc4230e361.jpg
    My other sig sucks as well...
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    intercept wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    sp1ttle wrote: »
    I second the motion of having a Korean War version. The Vietnam War had at least a Battlefield Vietnam, so why not have a CoD (or any decent war shooter) set in the Korean War?

The Korean War is one of the most under-themed games of the large World Wars, I think I've only ever seen one of them.

The problem with the Korean War, from a purely video game standpoint, is that it wasn't a terribly interesting war as far as wars go.

I mean, outside the initial conquering of virtually the entire peninsula by North Korean forces off the bat; Americans hopping over from Japan and moving the fight actually past Pyongyang before politics stopped the push to the Yalu. After that, the war shifted borders to more or less what we see today with a virtual stalemate for years. Sure, there were a few epic battles, but neither side made any progress for various reason, all political.

It just wouldn't make for a great video game to have an epic first act, then have your character sit there for 3 years in a trench while leaders make feigned attempts at cease fires and diplomacy; ending in an anti-climatic cease-fire agreement which is still in force today; seeing as how the Korean War technically still isn't over.

MacArthur and the UN forces were nearly finished overtaking the entire peninsula, and he wanted to push into China and kept arguing with Truman that we should nuke China.

I think that was a pretty big deal. In terms of significant battles, I think the Choisin Reservoir was a pretty big deal. 300,000 UN troops managed to defeat six entire Chinese divisions after the initial shockwave.

It's a very significant war. The United States hates talking about it for several reasons:

1. We didn't win.

2. Ultimately we gained nothing from it directly, but Japan profiting enormously from the war. This was good because the United States was intentionally extremely lenient on Japan to create a strong, strategically placed ally to watch the USSR and Red China. But we don't like to talk about it because Japanese war crimes are a touchy issue for the US. We turn a blind eye to it because they're such important trade allies, and it's a bitter source of resent from China, South Korea and North Korea.

3. Even though we lost, we can get away with not talking about it or discussing it's significance in class because it was a policing action that received almost unanimous public approval. Everyone including the American public thought it was a great idea. That's why we were able to send so many troops.

We have to talk about Vietnam because it was extremely controversial and brought about less subtle changes. JFK was the guy who put is in there. Because of Vietnam Congress decided the ability for a president to declare war was too powerful, so we have the rule we go by today. A president may take an emergency military policing action to intervene in anything he sees as a threat, but he must notify Congress within 48 hours and it is Congress who decides to declare war. The second change was the age to vote. Previously you had to be 21, but people began asking why is it that we can send our 18 year old kids off to die in war but they can't vote for the people who send them to fight?

But coming back to the Korean War, I think you really underestimate how crazy that war was in terms of battles. And it would make a refreshing new commentary about war. The really sad thing is ultimately, these men literally died for nothing because of dumb politicians who couldn't play their cards right. The borders are more or less the same. The DMZ still stands there as a grim reminder of the longest ceasefire in history.

I think you didn't read what I said.

I could talk for days about the Korean War and its effect even up to today.

I'm just saying it'd make for a terrible FPS video game. Strategy game, maybe. Probably not an RTS though.

Also, for the discussion regarding making it like MASH; sure, you could...but you have to realize MASH (the TV show, which most people think of when they hear MASH, not the movie/book) was actually more about the Vietnam war than the Korean War, even though the show is still set in Korea. The politics and morality pushed were those of the period the show was being made in. That sounds critical but it's not. MASH is great, and a MASH game could be really fun.

You guys are forgetting the most important thing here. South Korea practically loves us. That's all that matters!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They just don't like our beef.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Nobody's saying the whole war would need to be chronicled. But I can imagine a game that shifts perspective back and forth, like COD4, between the besieged troops at the Choson Reservoir and Macarthur's landing at Inchon and advance to cut off the North Korean forces.

But I'd rather see something like the film Silmido. A what-if scenario where those special ops units were more successful in their infiltration and assassination attempts, touching off a covert war.
    Probably the best way to do a Korean war game would be to get the MASH license and then license the Trauma Center engine.

The MASH license wouldn't be that big a draw. But a modern-era battlefield medic game would be great. Maybe donate some of the proceeds to wounded veterans' charities. There'd be a bit of controversy, which would just raise the game's profile, and be an opportunity to talk about how the game promotes awareness of the many injured troops. And to beg the question, how is a simulation of the act of saving lives worse than cinematically depicting the violent acts which inflicted these wounds?
    I dunno, as someone born in South Korea, I'm extremely grateful that at the very least there was a South Korea at the end of the war.

And postwar South Korea was a huge success story. Thriving economy, high standard of living. To generations of South Koreans, it sure as shit was a victory.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Korea would make a pretty amazing FPS if you took the Australian perspective. The battle of Kapyong alone would make an epic campaign. With the withdrawl where four soldiers held the rear of the units pulling back against wave after wave of Chinese troops, several hundred at a time. FOUR! With one bren gun! Against HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS.

The battle of Kapyong would work pretty well in a CoD game, since the chinese forces would work perfectly with CoD unlimited spawning.

Zerg rush kekeke?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Caedere wrote: »
    Aren't alternating Call of Duty games being handled by Treyarch (boo, crappy) and then Infinity Ward (woo, awesome)?

So, this one I expecting to suck, then CoD 6 will be awesome.

Yep, CoD 6 is being made by (woo, awesome) Infinity Ward, and...rumor has it...

Its going to have a sci-fi theme (not joking)

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Morithain wrote: »
    Aren't alternating Call of Duty games being handled by Treyarch (boo, crappy) and then Infinity Ward (woo, awesome)?

Any source on that rumor? Sounds cool to me. As long as they keep the feel of a real war I don't much mind where/when the setting is.

Also I hear (not sure if its true) Infinity Ward was able to negotiate a contract making them the sole developer of the CoD series after 5. So bye, bye Treyarch.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The subtitle of this thread made me imagine Call of Duty 5 with "Medal of Honor 5" as the subtitle. It made my brain melt a little.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »

HOLY MOLEY
    Forza 3 to have 100 TRACKS! WOW!

edit: d'oh totp :(

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Grabbed the trailer for this off XBL today, and you know what? Doesn't look half bad.

Sure, I know, it's a trailer, it's supposed to sell the game, just sayin' ... it was a nice looking trailer. Very dark, sweet graphics, appeared really grim, really nailed the look of the Pacific. And flamethrowers!

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As long as they keep the bugs out of it this time (with 2 years development time, I'm more optimistic on that front), it shouldn't be half bad.

But if I'm ever in a squad of 7 guys who all squeeze through a single doorway only to get sniped right as I pass it and find that I can't take cover because the guy behind me is blocking the doorway... I'm gonna personally call Treyarch on the phone and inquire as to the nature of that shit.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Axen wrote: »

Any source on that rumor? Sounds cool to me. As long as they keep the feel of a real war I don't much mind where/when the setting is.

Also I hear (not sure if its true) Infinity Ward was able to negotiate a contract making them the sole developer of the CoD series after 5. So bye, bye Treyarch.

If they ever decide to do a sci-fi thing, I hope it's not "pewpew lazors" sci-fi. I'd like a near future type setting, with weapons outsde of what we currently have, but things that are actually in the concept stages today.

I said this before I think.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jackhammers (the shotguns), Gauss guns able to shatter your sternum,highly interchangeable rifles, maybe some kind of laser weapons, we supposedly have some now, oh and the PAIN RAY.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Kotaku and Joystiq both mentioned it:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/21/rumor-infinity-ward-giving-call-of-duty-6-a-sci-fi-setting/

http://kotaku.com/5018546/rumor-infinity-ward-working-on-sci+fi-title

Oh, and as for Infinity Ward getting exclusivity on the CoD franchise, 'fraid not :(

http://kotaku.com/382606/activision-denies-infinity-ward-cod-exclusivity

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    YES sci-fi COD would be great

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Infinity Wars making a new Call of Duty? That's good news. I imagine it will be listed as Call of Duty 5 and not, as you put it, Call of Duty 6. Treyarch isn't labeling it with a number, but a subtitle. After all, there have been plenty of Call of Duty games beyond 1-4.

Science fiction theme, though? God I hope so. I can only imagine how great a game Infinity Ward could put out in that setting, and the multiplayer!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kenninator wrote: »

If they ever decide to do a sci-fi thing, I hope it's not "pewpew lazors" sci-fi. I'd like a near future type setting, with weapons outsde of what we currently have, but things that are actually in the concept stages today.

A future without lasers is a future I want no part of.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Probably the best way to do a Korean war game would be to get the MASH license and then license the Trauma Center engine.

The MASH license wouldn't be that big a draw.

I'd think you be suprised. MASH's finale still holds the record for the most viewers, even though more people have TVs today.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Less than a minute, and that other trailer is half of it, but an extended trailer is out
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35412.html

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I'd think you be suprised. MASH's finale still holds the record for the most viewers, even though more people have TVs today.

Twenty-five years ago.

I dunno about you guys, but my parents don't play a lot of videogames.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    Kenninator wrote: »

A future without lasers is a future I want no part of.
    Caseless bullets is the future I am expecting for CoD. Lasers is just too farfetched.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Less than a minute, and that other trailer is half of it, but an extended trailer is out
    Ok that really was a kick arse trailer.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that actually was better than the shorter one. More of the "dark" aspects, which hopefully won't turn this into a huge controversial thing.

Some of the animations seemed a little off, like the guy flying through the air from the explosion, but I'm just being nitpicky now.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ...holy fuck, that trailer was amazing. I'm kinda super excited now.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wonder if the extended trailer is hinting that a Japanese character is going to be playable. They do have one of the narrators speaking Japanese.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Actually infinity ward will be back for 5 as I dont think this one is a numerical sequel, rather an offshoot like big red 1. I think Infinity ward bought the license to all numerical sequels of the series about 3-4 months back but I'm not entirely sure

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Actually infinity ward will be back for 5 as I dont think this one is a numerical sequel, rather an offshoot like big red 1. I think Infinity ward bought the license to all numerical sequels of the series about 3-4 months back but I'm not entirely sure

Yeah, one of the guys at Kotaku said that he's positive Activision is using the Resident Evil/GTA form of numbering their games so that World at War won't infringe on Call of Duty 4's sales, IE it won't urge people to completely forget about CoD4 and drop it immediately when World at War is released.

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    8 Screenshots, 2 batches of 4. Spoilered for huge. 1280 across.

Screenshots
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115711483.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115714592.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115717827.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115720311.jpg

call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115723092.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115725061.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115727170.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115729935.jpg

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Flyingman wrote: »

That doesn't look like Japan.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Buahaha.

I love that ambush sequence.

If that isn't in the game I would be so disappointed.

Sooooo disappointed.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    darksteel wrote: »

Seriously?

It isn't based in Japan.

Phillipines is more like it.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »

Seriously?

It isn't based in Japan.

Oh yeah, silly of me not to recognize the only urban combat of the Pacific Campaign. I guess I really don't know how my country looked like 70 years ago.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Seriously?

It isn't based in Japan.

Oh yeah, silly of me not to recognize the only urban combat of the Pacific Campaign. I guess I really don't know how my country looked like 70 years ago.

I think thats actually Germany in the pic there.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Seriously?

It isn't based in Japan.

I think thats actually Germany in the pic there.

Which is what I was getting at earlier actually. I had thought that this would be set strictly in the Pacific Theatre, so I was kinda surprised that there was Germanic architecture in the screen. When SirToasty said that it was probably the Philippines, I just assumed he was correct.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I was looking at the first picture. Which also doesn't look like Japan.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think it was in the other Call of Duty: World at War thread where it was revealed that part of the game will take place from the Russian perspective as they roll into Berlin.

SteevL on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Eurogamer preview I read earlier makes it sound like it could be good. Although the talk of "suicidal Japanese soldiers charging you with a bayonet" sounds a little like something that'll get picked up as "brainless AI charges straight at you".

Hmm.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Russia has also been announced as the other part of the campaign.

Link

"Leave your packs and bring extra ammo, Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) and Treyarch, announced today that they will be taking Call of Duty players deep into the South Pacific and European theatres this spring for Call of Duty: World at War™, a gritty fight that will pit players against enemies that know no surrender and show no mercy. Utilizing the Call of Duty 4®: Modern Warfare engine, Call of Duty: World at War throws out the rulebook of war to transform WWII combat through a new enemy, new tactics and an uncensored experience of the climatic battles that gripped a generation. As U.S. Marines and Russian soldiers, players will employ new features like cooperative gameplay, and weapons such as the flamethrower in *the most chaotic and cinematically intense experience to date."

*Fancy talk for heavily scripted, linear, ghost train ride shooter

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Screenshots
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115711483.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115714592.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115717827.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115720311.jpg

call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115725061.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115727170.jpg
    call-of-duty-world-at-war-20080622115729935.jpg
    Well hell. Them some pretty screens, them are.

Shoegaze99 on