As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Raiding] is way too easy

• Options
    SerpicoSerpico Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heh, we're more "stay for hours or don't even bother attempting". After doing marrogar we didn't even bother with Deathwhisper and went straight to Gunship, then didn't try Saurfang either.

We tried a somewhat similar strat, with ranged on either side of Festergut and clumping into a pile each, but we hadn't thought of the switch legs thing at that point so our melee did very poorly. We did have trouble with people outranging healers on most strats with most healers in melee, and healers getting gassed and people dying from lack of heals when we had most at ranged.

Festergut was the first boss we went to and we stayed there all evening. We'll have either 1 or 2 more raids this week, so who knows what'll happen - we're probably gonna just go straight to Rotface and make sure he dies at least.

Serpico on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How the hell do your melee maintain that kind of dps on Putricide with all the running to the adds? I hate that when i was ret since I'd have no corruption stacks on it, and they'd be gone on the Prof when i got back.

We personally tank Putricide roughly where the green add spawns, so that might be part of their success.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Healing vs Ranged DPS

I'll use fire mage vs raid healer/holy paladin in a fight where only one tank is active at a time

Fire mage: Watches 2 debuffs (scorch/living bomb), one proc, pops trinkets and cooldowns as appropriate, uses instant casts when he moves (3-5 bars depending on UI)

Healer: Watches 25 health bars

/discussion

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You should probably compare against a melee character too. :P

I vote feral druid.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I play a feral druid, and it's still less stressful to John Fucking Madden -- shred positional requirements on frequently-turning bosses and all -- than it is to heal.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can't speak for stress level, since I haven't healed in years. I expect some dps (kitty cats in particular) have a helluvalot more shit going on though, than a healer. If it comes down to it, the issue between healers and dps is once again relegated to the difference between having immediate failure, and delayed failure of the raid (as well as a bigger pool).

End on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    End wrote: »
    I can't speak for stress level, since I haven't healed in years. I expect some dps (kitty cats in particular) have a helluvalot more shit going on though, than a healer. If it comes down to it, the issue between healers and dps is once again relegated to the difference between having immediate failure, and delayed failure of the raid (as well as a bigger pool).
    It really depends how you quantify "shit going on." Maybe in terms of numbers of little details, sure, it's worse for DPS. But those little details also rarely have a major impact. If I lapse for a second as a DPS, oh no, my overall DPS for the encounter drops by maybe 50. That's rarely a difference maker vs. lapsing for a second as a healer, where that will often mean the difference between someone dying or not.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, yeah, I did say healers have to worry about immediate failure, didn't I?

End on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    forty wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    It really depends how you quantify "shit going on." Maybe in terms of numbers of little details, sure, it's worse for DPS. But those little details also rarely have a major impact. If I lapse for a second as a DPS, oh no, my overall DPS for the encounter drops by maybe 50. That's rarely a difference maker vs. lapsing for a second as a healer, where that will often mean the difference between someone dying or not.

There's a whole catalog of dps mistakes which are paid with healer mana and time, rather than on their charts; that is things analogous to standing in the fire. As a raid healer I occasionally feel like I am jumping hoops to make up for other people's mistakes.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    my 10m has officially ran out of gas on Sindragosa. We just can't seem to do P3 at all. So annoying.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How the hell do your melee maintain that kind of dps on Putricide with all the running to the adds? I hate that when i was ret since I'd have no corruption stacks on it, and they'd be gone on the Prof when i got back.

We personally tank Putricide roughly where the green add spawns, so that might be part of their success.

We tank Putricide in the middle ring, slightly away from whichever add is going to spawn. Whenever there's a couple seconds off of the unstable experiment timer for the green ooze, melee peels off and stacks around the green ooze. That way, if a melee is picked, enough damage is absorbed. If a range is picked, we have a chance at killing it before it reaches him.

On brown ooze, range starts right away while melee gets a few more whacks on the boss until it picks the target.

I think it's a dangerous way of doing things, specially once P2 hits and Malleable Goo enters the fight. The closer the boss is to the green ooze, the easier it is for a Goo to hit melee at the same time as a melee is picked as the target of the green ooze.

Still, I'd take people who dodge Malleable Goos and Bombs over people with high DPS. Would avoid stupid wipes.

Celian on
    PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    SerpicoSerpico Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Celian wrote: »

We tank Putricide in the middle ring, slightly away from whichever add is going to spawn. Whenever there's a couple seconds off of the unstable experiment timer for the green ooze, melee peels off and stacks around the green ooze. That way, if a melee is picked, enough damage is absorbed. If a range is picked, we have a chance at killing it before it reaches him.

On brown ooze, range starts right away while melee gets a few more whacks on the boss until it picks the target.

I think it's a dangerous way of doing things, specially once P2 hits and Malleable Goo enters the fight. The closer the boss is to the green ooze, the easier it is for a Goo to hit melee at the same time as a melee is picked as the target of the green ooze.

Still, I'd take people who dodge Malleable Goos and Bombs over people with high DPS. Would avoid stupid wipes.

If you tank Putricide where the Green Ooze spawns the melee won't get hit by malleable goo for the same reason they don't get hit while dpsing Putricide himself. The extra dps from a few more seconds on target + cleaves makes a really big difference.

Of course, if you can kill him it matters little, might not be worth changing strategies if you can consistently one/twoshot him.

Serpico on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Serpico wrote: »
    Celian wrote: »

If you tank Putricide where the Green Ooze spawns the melee won't get hit by malleable goo for the same reason they don't get hit while dpsing Putricide himself. The extra dps from a few more seconds on target + cleaves makes a really big difference.

Of course, if you can kill him it matters little, might not be worth changing strategies if you can consistently one/twoshot him.

I may be misremembering the timers on this, but I believe there is a possibility he can toss Malleable Goo right after the melee get knocked back from the first explosion.

The real danger is in cases where the green slime picks a melee dps first, then as melee are scrambling to follow the green ooze to the next target (which at this point is probably right in the middle of the ranged camp) Putricide tosses the goo into the raid.

Nobody on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you have good, non-retarded DPS, you can really speed up the fight by staying on the green side. On 10 man you should be able to kill the green ooze before it blows up once, and on 25 before it blows up a second time. This gives you a ton of extra time to DPS putricide, often pushing him to P2 before the first brown ooze even spawns, and to P3 quick as well. Gives your abom (your top DPS) a lot of extra time on Putricide as well.

The sooner you get this strat down, the easier heroic mode and the achievement will be.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You can also speed up the fight by having your rogues vanish each tear gas!

Thomase1984 on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ive always saved my Vanish for a green gas cloud. Hmm..

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    If you have good, non-retarded DPS, you can really speed up the fight by staying on the green side. On 10 man you should be able to kill the green ooze before it blows up once, and on 25 before it blows up a second time. This gives you a ton of extra time to DPS putricide, often pushing him to P2 before the first brown ooze even spawns, and to P3 quick as well. Gives your abom (your top DPS) a lot of extra time on Putricide as well.

The sooner you get this strat down, the easier heroic mode and the achievement will be.

wait, Abom is top dps? Ours can barely keep up with getting enough energy from eating puddles and slowing the blobs. They have almost no time to hit anything. And yeah, my group is super melee heavy. Usually only 2 range (hunter, mage/lock) most times.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The fight is lots easier if you have someone awesome in the abom.

Is anyone else working on Lich King right now? It's starting to remind me of the old days. We've put in several whole nights on him now (three? four maybe?) and we have finally seen the second Remorseless Winter. People whining when we don't kill a boss in an hour or two irritate me. CLEARLY YOU WEREN'T THERE FOR ARCHIMONDE. Or Kael'thas. Or Illidan. Like, fuck. This is the last boss of the expansion. Yeah it sucks that people fail at Defile but ... there's a lot of mechanics to learn, many phases, it's not supposed to be a one-shot.

riz on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    riz wrote: »

Is anyone else working on Lich King right now? It's starting to remind me of the old days. We've put in several whole nights on him now (three? four maybe?) and we have finally seen the second Remorseless Winter. People whining when we don't kill a boss in an hour or two irritate me. CLEARLY YOU WEREN'T THERE FOR ARCHIMONDE. Or Kael'thas. Or Illidan. Like, fuck. This is the last boss of the expansion. Yeah it sucks that people fail at Defile but ... there's a lot of mechanics to learn, many phases, it's not supposed to be a one-shot.

I blame it on too many months of ToCr and Ony.

Nobody on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Tuesday night is MC, Wednesday night is Vael attempts- I mean, dick around and do nothing with 28 people because people aren't showing up to do Vael.

We're still working on Sindragosa Phase 3, but I am really excited to start learning the Lich King. Whole reason I came back was for that fight and punching Arthas in his smug mouth.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    NambkabNambkab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Abom pilot being awesome drastically makes putricide easier. Our abom pilot is usually doing ridiculous dps in P1-P2.

People failing at defile is literally the fastest way to wipe on Arthas. We had a couple early attempts where the people failing at it got dropped by valks (at the time we had valk issues) and they got to listen as we actually lived deep into valk phase simply due to no bad defiles. When we killed him I was amused at how many people said, "Oh wow that wasn't nearly as bad as we made it out to be!"

To Serpico: How did fester go last night?

Nambkab on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I wish. I swear our server is out for us. Only one guild managed to get Arthas just this week and it took them 27 wipes (according to their logs). Grats to them :) I think they even had other people transfer from other servers to help them get the kill.

But you right, the over all mentality of raiders is everything should be dead within 3-4 attemptsish. Anymore then that people either give up or whine. Give it 2 weeks and the fights will be nerfed sadly.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The first time we got to P2 Arthas in 10man, a lot of our group didn't understand that the part of Defile that radiated faintly was considered to be a part of Defile too, not just the blatant black part. So they tried to just stand on the edge, in it, the whole time.

Literally the entire platform was covered. Literally, the whole thing, Defiled.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Key to defile is to be on the outer ring moving with 1 sec left on defile cast so it dumps on the outer edge, if you're moving forward when this happens you won't touch it and it won't expand. Tthen you collapse back in for Valk. DK/Boomkin trivializes Valks as they can spam roots/chains of noob and keep it in place on top of Arthas for the splash damage.

Yeah, seeing someone tard it up and have defile cover the entire platform is an amazingly bad sight to see.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Ruby Sanctum

A powerful war party of the Black Dragonflight, led by the fearsome Twilight dragon, Halion, have launched an assault upon the Ruby Sanctum beneath Wyrmrest Temple. By destroying the sanctum, the Black Dragonflight look to crush those that would stand in the way of their master’s reemergence into Azeroth and to ultimately shatter the Wyrmrest Accord – the sacred bond that unites the dragonflights.

The battle that is to come will surely deal a crippling blow to the Red Dragonflight, however, it is up to you to stop this unprecedented offensive and defend the Ruby Sanctum. First you must face the assault of Halion's servants, Saviana Ragefire, Baltharus the Warborn, and General Zarithrian, before squaring off against Halion the Twilight Destroyer, a new and deadly force in this realm.

The Ruby Sanctum will feature 10- and 25-player content, Heroic difficulties and all-new rewards! Stay tuned for more information as we get closer to its release.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Halion? what kind of dragon name is that

Naphtali on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A Twilight dragon name?

Bigity on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hal + "male black dragon suffix"

duh

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This sounds like VH:the raidining

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    puff, the twilight destroyer

I wonder if its going to drop gear on par with ICC10/25 ilvls or go up even another tier or half tier

Naphtali on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    This sounds like VH:the raidining

Sounds more like OS: The rehash.

I'm just wondering if there's a new mount involved.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if you just get the black drake/twilight drakes again but this time, with armor!

(recolored malygos mount)

Oooh, maybe they could throw in another two-headed dog boss while they're at it.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    puff, the twilight destroyer

I wonder if its going to drop gear on par with ICC10/25 ilvls or go up even another tier or half tier

It'll probably be on par, they said there wouldn't be another tier of content, which means there probably isn't another tier of gear.

This is more like an Onyxia, an accessory to the current tier

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A higher tier than ICC would trivalize the shit out of ICC which I hope isn't their goal.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    A higher tier than ICC would trivalize the shit out of ICC which I hope isn't their goal.

Nah I think the gear level wil be the same.
    The buff we
    ll be getting in ICC soon will be enough to trivilize it.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What is this buff I keep hearing about? Maybe my group will finally make it past the plagueworks.

Samphis on
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Serpico wrote: »

Yeah I thought about that one, I just never paid close enough attention to the bomb timer in P2 and how it coincides with the green ooze spawn. I'd be worried to have bombs spawn at the same time as the ooze and melee have to move out, but then a melee gets picked as the target. It's all very RNG... but I can definitely see the merit in doing it that way. Might try and convince our RL to give it a whirl! Thanks.

Celian on
    PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Samphis wrote: »
    What is this buff I keep hearing about? Maybe my group will finally make it past the plagueworks.

Increased damage healing and health by 30%, datamined abilities on arthas showed 30% and its said to be a stacking buff so I would assume 30 to be its highest starting at 5 and increasing every 1-2 weeks.

But thats just my guess.

Also it wont help bad guilds who die to 1 shot mechanics.

polloface on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It'll be nice to beat festergut by more than 10 seconds though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's highly doubtful Ruby Sanctum will trivialize it. It's going to be like Onyxia, where it runs parallel to ICC like it did with TOC.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.