As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    baronfel wrote: »
    anyone have a clip to the end tag/evil abed section people are talking about? My DVR cut off last night just after Abed entered the Dreamatorium :(

http://www.hulu.com/watch/343171/community-evil-abed#s-p1-sr-i1

Yeah, I would have done that, but I'm at work so Hulu is blocked.

• UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Yeah I was a little weirded out by the visuals too. Just kind of random, I wonder if it's going to be a thing now.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Ego wrote: »
    So is this the first time it's confirmed for sure that:
    Brita and Jeff are sleeping together?

Also, loved the ending. EVIL ABED.
    I don't think they are currently sleeping together, I think Britta was referring to when they were hooking up regularly back in season 2.

Do you not remember this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCw_myVGu0

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I don't think they are currently sleeping together, I think Britta was referring to when they were hooking up regularly back in season 2.

I would not be surprised if they have random drunken hookups sometimes.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ratings dropped down from 2.2 to 1.7, but it was still NBC's highest rated show of the night.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

I would not be surprised if they have random drunken hookups sometimes.

Depending upon the availability of parking.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    This episode was solid. I laughed out loud a bunch. Everything Troy said was awesome if not always funny.

Every since his 21st birthday Troy has seemed to be the only normal person in the group.

I loved "No interventions! You guys need to stop intervening! Seriously, you have a problem."

As well as some of Jeff's narcisism jokes. His "I explained that really well." to kick things off was great.

This episode was great. I am getting sick of the weird visuals (expanding hearts, the images inside jeff including annies boobs last week). But overall, I love it. It also seems like both this and 30 Rock decided to say fuck it and just do whatever they want and not worry about ratings. All the while yelling "were doing what we want and we know you wont watch this!"

616610-1.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Abed as Jamie Lee Curtis had me rolling (and it definitely took a minute or two to get who he was).

At this point, I'm not sure I could distinguish a real Moby if I saw one in the wild.

oh the abed thing was torture because I was sitting there saying "I'm supposed to know who he is! it's a reference to past episodes!" but I couldn't put my finger on it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I am so excited about the idea of... (most recent episode spoilers)
    An Evil-Abed influenced ongoing character arc for Regular Abed. I'm pretty sure that the recent trailer for this "season" included another shot of a goateed Abed, so there should be more to come. So excited.

Also was this another one of those instances where this episode is clearly out of order compared to last week? They were doing all the "Welcome back from break!" at the beginning of this episode instead of last episode. Or I guess they could be in order and the original intended air dates got all bamboozled by the hiatus.

Kid Presentable on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    But wait!
    Isn't Abed genre-savvy enough to know never to trust a version of himself with a goatee?!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    kid presentable I assume it's because of the hiatus but you could be correct.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    After further thought, these episodes are probably in order and the hiatus just messed up the timing. Otherwise there would be a very severe case of "reset button" going on after the ending of this week's episode, which would be disappointing. I want some payoff next week.

This episode was 311, the wedding episode was 312. They flipped them.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

As much as I hate it when shows do that, I get why they did here. The wedding episode was both better and more relatable than this last one.

• Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    I really loved this episode. I'm finding this half of the season a lot funnier than the first half so far.

2LmjIWB.png
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm going to give my at-the-time good impressions:

"Wait! Hello?" "Hello."

"...I have a heavy flashlight for them!"

"That's not relevant," and "LOOK AT HIS SHADOW!"

"Jeff is in grave danger. Hey hey!"

The Moby lookalike who was a Moby lookalike in HIMYM. A psychotic murderous Moby lookalike.

"This is crazy. And inaccessible and maybe too dark."

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Musicool wrote: »
    "This is crazy. And inaccessible and maybe too dark."

New thread title?

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051750

Hopes are high for a fourth season of Community after every other show on television seems to have failed.

Taramoor on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

Troy and Abed's behavior makes absolutely no sense in the wedding episode after this one.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm saying it's not consistent from a character development standpoint.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited March 2012
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Troy and Abed's behavior makes absolutely no sense in the wedding episode after this one.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm saying it's not consistent from a character development standpoint.

Not necessarily. This episode had Troy introduce the idea that his behavior isn't always "right", and the wedding episode had them make an attempt to be normal. This could be seen as a failed attempt to "correct" himself after learning this.

Also, the ending scenes with Abed in this episode could be more a foreshadowing of future problems, rather than a sudden seismic shift in behavior. The fact that Abed didn't respond to Troy in the same way at the end of this episode could be more him trying to process what just happened in that moment, rather than "things have now completely changed forever".

Ultimately, I think it can work either way.

Captain Tragedy on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    tumblr_m1cbz1ZHYV1qedzbdo1_500.jpg

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was weird or bad... I thought it had some season one feel to it actually. it did go off the track a little at the end however.

I don't mean that it was weird in the sense of being implausible within the show's universe, since obviously that zombie episode tops everything.

But zombies are something we've seen on other shows, and I can explain the premise to someone else and they'll more or less know what to expect.

But
    "addiction to celebrity impersonators" and "Winger turning into a narcissistic version of the Incredible Hulk," not to mention the ending, are two ideas that are just so outlandish that I can't imagine explaining the episode to someone who hasn't seen the show.

But running a chicken fingers mafia or being stuck in a KFC spaceship simulator or... is not outlandish?

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Would have been happy to give up the rest of Community for not having to wait a month for more Parks and Rec. Especially after last night's episode.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited March 2012
    I didn't think it was weird or bad... I thought it had some season one feel to it actually. it did go off the track a little at the end however.

I don't mean that it was weird in the sense of being implausible within the show's universe, since obviously that zombie episode tops everything.

But zombies are something we've seen on other shows, and I can explain the premise to someone else and they'll more or less know what to expect.

But
    "addiction to celebrity impersonators" and "Winger turning into a narcissistic version of the Incredible Hulk," not to mention the ending, are two ideas that are just so outlandish that I can't imagine explaining the episode to someone who hasn't seen the show.

But running a chicken fingers mafia or being stuck in a KFC spaceship simulator or... is not outlandish?

They're outlandish, but they were also presented as film parodies and those are both common and, by virtue of using familiar source material, easier for most people to grasp.

Like, I'd actually say that the My Dinner With Andre episode is more inaccessible than the KFC episode simply because more people have seen Apollo 13 than My Dinner With Andre. A dinner is more mundane than a shuttle launch, but the idea of a person who's so detached from reality that he can only approach normality by imitating fiction is harder to wrap your head around than a spoof on a blockbuster film.

By the same token, the fact that the most recent episode relies on an understanding on Abed and doesn't have a basis in some familiar pop culture touchstone (like Apollo 13 or Goodfellas) makes it especially weird.

Robos A Go Go on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    After failing to gain admission with his Burt Reynolds celebrity costume, Pierce should have said he wasn't impersonating Burt Reynolds, he was impersonating Chevy Chase.

emnmnme on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    After failing to gain admission with his Burt Reynolds celebrity costume, Pierce should have said he wasn't impersonating Burt Reynolds, he was impersonating Chevy Chase.

I was thinking the same thing, but that would be a little too blatant. I'm not sure Chevy Chase actually exists in the Community universe.

But

They're outlandish, but they were also presented as film parodies and those are both common and, by virtue of using familiar source material, easier for most people to grasp.

Like, I'd actually say that the My Dinner With Andre episode is more inaccessible than the KFC episode simply because more people have seen Apollo 13 than My Dinner With Andre. A dinner is more mundane than a shuttle launch, but the idea of a person who's so detached from reality that he can only approach normality by imitating fiction is harder to wrap your head around than a spoof on a blockbuster film.

By the same token, the fact that the most recent episode relies on an understanding on Abed and doesn't have a basis in some familiar pop culture touchstone (like Apollo 13 or Goodfellas) makes it especially weird.

I'm not sure that most of this criticism wouldn't apply equally to any show which requires the viewer to be invested in watching it consistently and understanding the characters. I know that this was not a hallmark of older sitcoms, but it has become increasingly common with modern shows like arrested development or the office.

But

I'm not sure that most of this criticism wouldn't apply equally to any show which requires the viewer to be invested in watching it consistently and understanding the characters. I know that this was not a hallmark of older sitcoms, but it has become increasingly common with modern shows like arrested development or the office.

I'm not criticizing it, and in fact I preferred it to last week's episode (which I said was kind of safe but made sense as an episode to welcome new viewers).

No, fat chevy chase.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

No, fat Steve Martin.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Taramoor wrote: »
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051750

Hopes are high for a fourth season of Community after every other show on television seems to have failed.
    Though a multicam sitcom with a more traditional structure, "Big Bang" shares with "Community" characters in a college-set world, an unadulterated fondness for pop culture and an appeal for young-male demos. Harmon said that research has shown that "Big Bang" and "Community" have a "huge overlap" in audience, in the neighborhood of 30%.

What the fuck?

Given the big ratings drop when Community's up against new BBT, that's not really a surprise.

Given the big ratings drop when Community's up against new BBT, that's not really a surprise.

I literally don't understand how anyone could like both shows. One is clever and original and has higher, single camera production values, and the other has a studio audience and is on par with Reba as far as the writing goes.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I literally don't understand how anyone could like both shows. One is clever and original and has higher, single camera production values, and the other has a studio audience and is on par with Reba as far as the writing goes.

Both shows feature nerds and make constant references to things that nerds might enjoy, like Doctor Who or Dungeons and Dragons or Magic: The Gathering.

Taramoor wrote: »

Both shows feature nerds and make constant references to things that nerds might enjoy, like Doctor Who or Dungeons and Dragons or Magic: The Gathering.

I don't cook or use meth or have any interest in the subject matter, but I love Breaking Bad. The subject of a show seems like one of the least important parts. Writing, production, and acting are all that I care about. I guess a lot of people feel differently? FWIW, it literally never occurred to me that Community would be a show for nerds, especially based on the first season.

edited March 2012
    I just imagine that BBT is so absurdly popular that there's bound to be crossover between its audience and the audience of any other show.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2012
    Big Bang Theory (putting aside the issue of quality and just looking at it commercially) is one of those monster shows that comes around every once in awhile that just manages for whatever reason to attract a gigantic amount of people across a lot of demographics, including, apparently, people who also are into shows like Community.

EDIT: What Robos A Go Go said.

Captain Tragedy on
    Big Bang Theory (putting aside the issue of quality and just looking at it commercially) is one of those monster shows that comes around every once in awhile that just manages for whatever reason to attract a gigantic swath of people across a lot of demographics, including, apparently, people who also are into shows like Community.

Is it really that popular? I literally never hear people talking about it, vs shows like the office that everyone I know seems to watch. But then I am consistently amazed that NBC is the last place network since it is the only network I watch anymore, and that CBS is first place since I have not watched anything on it in over a decade (I don't remember ever watching anything on it, actualy) and I never hear people talking about any CBS shows.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Big Bang Theory (putting aside the issue of quality and just looking at it commercially) is one of those monster shows that comes around every once in awhile that just manages for whatever reason to attract a gigantic swath of people across a lot of demographics, including, apparently, people who also are into shows like Community.

Is it really that popular? I literally never hear people talking about it, vs shows like the office that everyone I know seems to watch. But then I am consistently amazed that NBC is the last place network since it is the only network I watch anymore, and that CBS is first place since I have not watched anything on it in over a decade (I don't remember ever watching anything on it, actualy) and I never hear people talking about any CBS shows.

It's the most popular comedy on television by a huge margin, and I think it passed NCIS as the most popular show on TV. Hell, a repeat on TBS won its timeslot a couple nights ago.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    I don't even know what NCIS is.