As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] atop a Skyscraper

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    That being said, you can run from a machete. You can't run from a bullet.

Eh. Most handguns used in crimes aren't particularly accurate.

Unless the shooter is arms-length away with the gun drawn and aimed at you (in which case you're pretty fucked either way) - they are probably going to miss or at least not hit something vital.

Much rather end up in the ER with a bullet in my ass than for getting stabbed a half dozen times or hacked at with a machete.

the accuracy of the gun matters at ranges of 100, 200 metres

people do suck at shooting though

I wouldn't bet on not hitting anything vital, though

very few parts of your body don't have anything vital in them (ass is one)

Your chances are probably better at surviving a bullet than a few knife stabs though. Even point blank.

depends greatly on the bullet and the knife.

Since the discussion is about crime / being murdered, it's fair to say a .22, a .32, or a 9mm.

I'd almost certainly bet on getting to the ER with a hole from that in me than a couple stabs of anything longer than a hobby knife.

Most people typically stab/slash a few times. Usually only shoot once. I don't have the statistics to back that up, but if I was going to shoot someone I'd probably stop at 1 unless I really wanted that person to die. Stabbing someone to get their wallet might take a few to bring them down.

I doubt someone's tugging around a .44mag to shoot you with in the hood though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

wtf

that shouldn't be considered assault

that should be considered education

If I were Judge King of The World, Kanye would get a two week minimum security prison "time out" and the nameless douchnozzle would be prevented from bringing a civil suit.

I'd add a mandate that the douchenozzle is only allowed to have children with minorities.

wait where do I sign up for that

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I want to run an RPG again.

Please dissuade me from trying, tia.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    let's be fair, though

swords are for nerds

hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, nerd

This was so well done.

I am in awe.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    like there are two types of bullets

the ones that don't go all the way though, which are bad times because you have lumps of lead stuck inside you

and the ones that have enough energy to go through and will cause exit wounds that'll be bad times

worse than a stab wound? impossible to say since that depends on a million variables

but point is bullets don't leave you with a pencil diameter hole through you and two small holes on either side

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

wtf

If I were Judge King of The World, Kanye would get a two week minimum security prison "time out" and the nameless douchnozzle would be prevented from bringing a civil suit.

I'd add a mandate that the douchenozzle is only allowed to have children with minorities.

wait where do I sign up for that

NO GINGERS ALLOWED

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    when I watched the wire I just thought I could do these hits so much better, because I know the basic fact of a gunfight:

whoever throws the most bullets in the general direction of the enemy wins. Firepower is everything.

So, fuck glock nines, get me a machinegun.

Fun fact. For most urban drug dealer types machine guns and things are difficult to acquire. Or at the very least not worth the investment because of jail time and a possible need to throw it away forever.

Yay assault weapons ban. Sorta.

well, for everyone, even in america machineguns are a rarity

a pistol seems good for like, walking up, shooting one dude

hm

car bombs, is what I'd do

Hmm. Good luck gathering the ingredients without quickly incriminating yourself.

what?

i have a legit reason for buying 40 2 liters of diet coke and 200 packets of Mentos

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Gun wounds tend to be more fatal, with plenty of references.

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/1997/02/24/knives-00006/

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i mean

no one ever says, "shouldn't have brought a gun to a knife fight"

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    knife stabs are usually shallow

a bullet goes straight through you, as a best case scenario

dont bullets fragment?

and the ones that don't stay inside cause exit wounts far larger than the entry wounds

Depends on the caliber. A 9mm pistol is probably going to embed itself in your body without going too far. Also shock wave/shattering damage is rare unless the caliber is super high or it gets lucky and hits a bone right off the bat and ricochets inside you, or the 9mm is literally pressed up against you, from what I remember. Bullets are not as dangerous as most people think they are, but they're still deadly, but man fuck blades, I'd rather take a bullet any day.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bullets have a p standard amount of damage they cause which is releative to the size/velocity of the round

knives are variable, are you stabbing or slashing? are you twisting the blade?

• Options
    I want to run an RPG again.

Please dissuade me from trying, tia.

for every RPG you run you must first have a conversation with a girl at least three times

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    when I watched the wire I just thought I could do these hits so much better, because I know the basic fact of a gunfight:

whoever throws the most bullets in the general direction of the enemy wins. Firepower is everything.

So, fuck glock nines, get me a machinegun.

Fun fact. For most urban drug dealer types machine guns and things are difficult to acquire. Or at the very least not worth the investment because of jail time and a possible need to throw it away forever.

Yay assault weapons ban. Sorta.

Wife was watching an NCIS:LA reruns yesterday. They had a bunch of gang bangers who were showing off all the AK-47's a weapon smuggling ring got them (the entire point of the episode was to break the ring).

Seriously. This is the US. You can buy an AK variant at just about any gun store, and it's not rocket science to modify them. Definitely easier than smuggling a crate of them into the US.

The reason criminals rarely use those types of rifles in crimes has very little to do with availability, and more to do with the amount of heat using automatic weapons brings vs. the benefit of automatics.

There are restrictions to availability that prevent those sorts (see: felons) from picking up an AK variant at a gun store. So they end up in the hands of gun nuts and NRA types far more often.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    There's a blog that takes screenshots of code from movies and analyzes them. I thought it would be good for a laugh if the coders doing it were funny and picked humorous examples and kept it light.
    Regarding your post about the TV series Person of Interest, Season 3, Episode 12.

The code on the screen uses Fortran language features that were NOT available in 1980. Some were introduced in Fortran 90 which was released as a standard significantly after 1990. The code sample it uses is actually from a site dealing with a variant of Fortran called F that is based on the Fortran 95 standard.

Sadly an epic fail.

Oh my god nerds. Oh my god no. This is not an "epic fail" that is not a failure at all, that is admirable that it's real code and a language that was generally popular in the 1980s. This blog is the worst.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I find it funny that the knives are worse arguments tends to lean in favor of worst case scenario, whereas their arguments saying guns are not as bad favor the best case scenarios

is that confirmation bias

it's some kind of bias

is it knifey stabby bias

I have no idea

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i mean

Isn't a knife way better than a gun in close quarters, though?

Like, sure, let's say you're far from your target and he only has a knife, shooting him is easy, but if you're close to each other...

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Gun wounds tend to be more fatal, with plenty of references.

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/1997/02/24/knives-00006/

Those are some really cherry picked references there, though. Even the orthopedic in the US. Yeah no shit a gunshot wound to the spine is going to cause neurological damage, where's the knife studies for that?

• Options
    bullets have a p standard amount of damage they cause which is releative to the size/velocity of the round

what if you're doing some of that Wanted shit where you like bend the arc of the bullet and stuff

fun fact: i forgot the name of the movie so i googled, "that stupid movie where the guy bends the arc of the bullet" and it worked

• Options
    I find it funny that the knives are worse arguments tends to lean in favor of worst case scenario, whereas their arguments saying guns are not as bad favor the best case scenarios

it's some kind of bias

is it knifey stabby bias

I have no idea

you're right but it can go either way depending on what the person making the statement is trying to prove

it's hard to argue that guns aren't more dangerous than knives because you dont need to be in arms reach to use it

plus there's a reason soldiers don't have swords anymore

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

bullets are extremely variable in what bone/soft tissue/velocity/range/caliber/type of bullet they strike a body with

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Casual, how much of this is facts and how much is the fact that the UK is kind of out of its mind panicked about knife crime?

Edit: dang I totally messed up who was on which side of this argument. I like my mistaken first impression still.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

wtf

Meh! Nameless dude gets whatever was in Kanye's wallet at the time of the assault, and told to watch his fucking mouth next time.

Kanye is admonished by the Court for kicking his ass in the lobby instead of behind a closed door somewhere.

• Options

it's some kind of bias

is it knifey stabby bias

I have no idea

Meh, maybe?

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    thisisthinprivilege is, next to salon, the greatest thing the internet has ever given us oh my god

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    like there are two types of bullets

the ones that don't go all the way though, which are bad times because you have lumps of lead stuck inside you

and the ones that have enough energy to go through and will cause exit wounds that'll be bad times

worse than a stab wound? impossible to say since that depends on a million variables

but point is bullets don't leave you with a pencil diameter hole through you and two small holes on either side

Casual. Friend. There are far more than two types of bullets. It's pretty clear that you are coming from a position without a lot of firearm knowledge (which is okay!) just wanted to point it out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I had a bit of a traumatic incident in a McD's back in 2011. I've only eaten there once since, and that was out of necessity. It was awful.

Last time I ate at McD's was almost a year ago when I had a bacon and egg bagel when we went to my son's band and drill competition for cadets. Regretted it for the rest of the day. Ugh...stomach was not happy with me at all.

Myself and a friend once spent an entire night in a 24 hours McD's because we forgot to book accommodation for a trip.

O_O

K, this I need to hear the story on.

@Gonmun

there's not much of a story. We traveled over to Engerland for a day of a metal festival, and at about 9pm we realised that we had no accommodation and roughly £20 between us (We pre-booked out train tickets, so we didn't need to bring cash with us). We got the bus back into town and went into the McD's. We saw the sign advertising that some McD's were 24 hours, so we stayed in that one and hoped. We were in an alcove which was apparently outside of the view of staff/security guards and once every two hours or so whoever wasn't asleep would get a cup of tea. We stayed there through three staff changes. The place got pretty hopping at about 4am because a much of Muslims partaking in Ramadan came in before sun up and had a feast.

At about 7am, we left to go to the just opening Starbucks across the street, followed by going to the cinema to sleep through the longest movie they had available (Which was the last Harry Potter).

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    there's two types of bullets

the ones which have killed me

and the ones which haven't

statistically, zero percent of bullets are in the "killed me" category

meanwhile I have been cut by knives multiple times in the kitchen

knives: the real killer

simonwolf on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    guns should check their privilege they don't know the shit knife stabbers have to go through

• Options
    I mean as far as "types" what he's referring to, he's not wrong. Either the shot/slug exits you or it stays inside. It may be designed to bounce around or fragment etc, that's true. But it either stays inside or exits.

He's not wrong.

• Options
    i mean

Like, sure, let's say you're far from your target and he only has a knife, shooting him is easy, but if you're close to each other...

It's complicated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    There's a blog that takes screenshots of code from movies and analyzes them. I thought it would be good for a laugh if the coders doing it were funny and picked humorous examples and kept it light.
    Regarding your post about the TV series Person of Interest, Season 3, Episode 12.

The code on the screen uses Fortran language features that were NOT available in 1980. Some were introduced in Fortran 90 which was released as a standard significantly after 1990. The code sample it uses is actually from a site dealing with a variant of Fortran called F that is based on the Fortran 95 standard.

Sadly an epic fail.

Oh my god nerds. Oh my god no. This is not an "epic fail" that is not a failure at all, that is admirable that it's real code and a language that was generally popular in the 1980s. This blog is the worst.

I went from "i must check this out" to "ahh hell, nah!" in the space of about two sentences.
    What a missed opportunity.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Horrible source control corruption problem: solved!

Or at least driven around.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Fiancee about to leave for wedding dress shopping

self esteem in this house is at a whole new low :(

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    i mean

Nope. Knife fighting is hard. Really hard.

Think about the difference. A gun had to be pointed at a persons important bit for a split second but a knife has to get all the way past a persons guard while they are trying really hard to stop it.

Also, (fake) knife fighting is a ton of fun if you ever get a chance to try it.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Those are some really cherry picked references there, though. Even the orthopedic in the US. Yeah no shit a gunshot wound to the spine is going to cause neurological damage, where's the knife studies for that?
    Thus far, I'm not seeing any non-cherries.

Every scholarly article I've found thus far has been in favour of stab wounds having a lower mortality rate than gun shot wounds.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I watched Anvil!: The story of Anvil a couple days ago. How great is it that because of that documentary the band found some success.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ELLLLIIEEEE GOOOUUUULDINGGGG!!!!!

WHY IS YOUR VOICE SO AWESOME?!?!?!

• Options
    p0IRDau.jpg

Types of bullets, ordered by caliber. 9mm is the 2nd one IIRC.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

Sadly an epic fail.

Like what's even the purpose of a blog like this? Are they going to find a code where the programming is context correct and get a raging hard boner and glimpse the sublime? No, they're just going to go "well they didn't fuck THAT up" and then look for something else to be snotty about. Miserable.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    knife fighting is easy

you tie your hand to the other guy's hand

you dance for a bit in a warehouse

then everybody dances

This discussion has been closed.