Options

Attention Citizens, Please Be On Alert for an Escaped [Super Hero Movie Thread].

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    This is the review in question

It gives a pretty detailed summary of the first half hour or so, if you don't wanna know

I very much disagree with just about every criticism he has of it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I hadn't read an Armond White review in a while so I decided to look him up, and immediately choked on my soup
    Evans’s cartoon image lacks the uncanny moral resonance that distinguished the compassionate Superman in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel

I'm dying, send help

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    ah yes, "compassionate superman"

we have dismissed these claims

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    It's been figured out that Armond White is definitely doing a character, right?

There is no way a film reviewer just HAPPENS to line up perfectly with loving every bad movie and hating every good movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

There is no way a film reviewer just HAPPENS to line up perfectly with loving every bad movie and hating every good movie

Either that or he's a literal monster

He heckles during review screenings

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    When it comes to Two-Face, I actually prefer the version where he doesn't have multiple personalities and is just obsessed with duality or 50/50 chance. Where his bad side is presented as simply his own darker inclinations and not a separate persona.

Especially since obsession is the root for a lot of the big name Batman villains (Joker: Making people laugh or Chaos, Penguin: High Society, Riddler: Puzzles or proving he's smarter than someone else, Mr. Freeze: Nora, Harley: the Joker, Poison Ivy: Valuing plants more than people, Ra's: His perfect world order, etc.). It connects them to Batman on a specific level since in most interpretations he has his own set of obsessions.

Not to say the tired "Batman is just as crazy as his villains," just that they all have a core obsession that drives them and often prevents them from giving up. For Batman, his is simply to ensure another child in his city doesn't have to go through what he did in Crime Alley as a kid.

These obsessions are what makes these Batman villains the more dangerous (ie. try stopping Mr. Freeze when he's trying to do something he thinks will save Nora), but also opens some interesting possibilities (ie. Catwoman & Riddler having to redirect their obsessions for their time as good guys).

Going back to Two-Face, his coins flips are usually not between a good choice and an evil choice. It's usually between doing nothing or an evil choice. If you're going with him having a good personality and a bad personality, that doesn't make as much sense since the "Harvey Dent" personality shouldn't be indifferent. However, it does still work for a man who has taken a cynical view of chance and fate. It goes from "Do I do what my good personality wants or what my evil personality wants?" to "Does fate screw this person over like it did me?"

There are a few exceptions to this of course, like No Man's Land, but that works like the Riddler and Catwoman examples above. Two-Face was trying to get better at that time, and he shifted his view on fate from "screwing people over or doing nothing" to "helping people or doing nothing."

Besides, the Ventriloquist already covers the multiple personality thing better than Two-Face ever did. Though (going back to my other point), the Ventriloquist lacking a core obsession does tend to contribute towards him being a lower-tiered Batman villain.

On the flipside, the "Judgement Day" episode of BtAS was pretty rad, and couldn't be done without a version of Two-Face with multiple personalities.

Though on another note, I was actually surprised that The Dark Knight used the "obsessed with chance" version instead of the multiple personality version, since it seems the multiple personality version has been the more dominant one since BtAS.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I assumed he's being contrarian so whatever site he's on gets an increased views.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I totally disagree with those Two-Face opinions

Actually I guess with the obsession theory in general

• Options
    edited July 2014
    That's fine. It's my general preference.

I would be curious to hear why you prefer it your way though.

Lars on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Without the dual personalities, you wouldn't get Gordon requesting Dent as his defense.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    wcHfKWC.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The only major Batman villain with a psychologically debilitating obsession is Riddler, I think. And that's really his obsessive compulsive tendencies more than anything else.

Adherence to a theme isn't an obsession. It's a bit comic book, but it's not unheard of elsewhere. Serial killers are the obvious example, but there have been plenty of other criminals with signature characteristics or calling cards. Nor is devotion, necessarily. It can walk the line, but I think you are over-generalizing the concept of obsession to match your interpretation.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    those are some really good arrows

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Roger Ebert once labeled Armond White a troll and probably only wrote an apology because his syndicate told him to.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    53d2789beb0d2.jpg

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Is that
    The Vision
    ?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    that most certainly is

• Options
    I'm actually really surprised he has a cape

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The only major Batman villain with a psychologically debilitating obsession is Riddler, I think.

Maxi Zeus, the Ventriloquist and Zsasz all have pretty bad disorders.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I take my own issue with some of the Two-Face portrayal of personalities, because dissociative identity disorder really isn't that clear cut ever

But that's a totally different story

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    That looks like a surprisingly classic looking Vision up there.

Like i'm sure they'll do some kind of redesign, but i wasn't expecting them to even keep the color scheme!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Is that
    The Vision
    ?

obviously that is pietro's generic human father

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The only major Batman villain with a psychologically debilitating obsession is Riddler, I think. And that's really his obsessive compulsive tendencies more than anything else.

Adherence to a theme isn't an obsession. It's a bit comic book, but it's not unheard of elsewhere. Serial killers are the obvious example, but there have been plenty of other criminals with signature characteristics or calling cards. Nor is devotion, necessarily. It can walk the line, but I think you are over-generalizing the concept of obsession to match your interpretation.

Perhaps I am using the wrong word, but Mr. Freeze's feelings about Nora, Poison Ivy's about plants, Harley's about the Joker, Firefly with fire, and so on are not "calling cards." These are things that drive them. These are the reasons they do what they do. In most cases, their feelings about these things are why they are committing crimes. Most of their major goals revolve around either these things, or revenge for previously screwing up their goals with these things.

Even Penguin. He's intensely focused on the high society life that he feels he deserves. In the old days he was usually lashing out against high society for rejecting him, but nowadays he's figured out a way to force himself into that life with his nightclub and underworld dealings.

Lars on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Is that
    The Vision
    ?

obviously that is pietro's generic human father

yes, eric lensman, supervisor at the local magnet factory

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Vision!

:o

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    looks like they're going for the yellow red and green look instead of the all white

which, fuckin yeah

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Vision was my first favorite hero, and always held a special place for me.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I love how everyone is struggling valiantly against Ultron and Quicksilver is just running through them untouched

"missed lol"

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I love how everyone is struggling valiantly against Ultron and Quicksilver is just running through them untouched

"missed lol"
    That quicksilver afterimage on the left there appears to have sliced off a robot arm with the power of tron color streaks super speed

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The power of slick moves

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The slickest

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    looks like they're going for the yellow red and green look instead of the all white

which, fuckin yeah

Set reports indicate it may be the all white first and then switching to classic

• Options
    It took me a while to figure out who the guy in the middle right is until I realized it's just Quicksilver again cause he's so fast

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I am sure Avengers 2 is going to be good but I was honestly a little bit disappointed that it looks like they've just done the thing where there's a whole lot of cannon fodder enemies again.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    one Ultron does not make an age after all

several ultrons are known as an age of ultron

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    A gaggle of geese

A murder of crows

A blessing of unicorns

An age of Ultrons

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I am sure Avengers 2 is going to be good but I was honestly a little bit disappointed that it looks like they've just done the thing where there's a whole lot of cannon fodder enemies again.

Seems like a massive stretch based off a few preview images so far

Also remember Ultron Unlimited? The classic Ultron story where they fight the classic Adamantium Ultron and he kicks all their asses? There's an army of Ultrons in that as well, that the Avengers fight before they fight Ultron Prime (or whatever the fuck he's called)

• Options
    I find fighting a lot of fodder enemies way more interesting than the avengers maybe fighting him 3 times, getting tossed around the first two and then winning because friendship/mcguffin/masterplan etc.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah I am hoping that builds to a well-done setpiece conflict between a recognizably powerful human-scale foe. That's a thing that really only Cap 2 did well so far. Thor 2 was the most egregious offender in the department of not understanding how to make a fight interesting department for that last bit despite some fun stuff.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Also

it's kinda hard to do anything other than have a massive army of goons when you've got a team of 9 people

pretty hard to make interesting action scenes if it is all just DOGPILE ON ULTRON

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.