Options

I HEAR THE [CHAT] ECHOING TONIGHT

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    ludious just drinks pre-made skinny girl margaritas on the rocks

Bud Lite lime-a-rita

Us not buying that pallet of Bud-A-Rita variety pack beer is my biggest regret from that weekend.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Vanguard wrote: »
    as to my stance on roger ebert

yes, he watched a lot of movie and was clearly familiar with the history of film

i feel that there were a handful of films he was extremely disingenuous towards and this contradicts his supposed "objective" to watching and review movies

couple that with being the loudest mouthpiece in film criticism and i think he is a problematic figure

also, any review which measures are on a scale (be it stars, thumbs, numbers, tomatoes, whatever) is inherently garbage

You can ignore the score at the end. It doesn't make all the words in front of it irrelevant. Yes scores are terrible. No they don't mean the whole review is awful.

And for fucks sake you can't review movies for as long as Ebert did without having some odd opinions every now and then. He wasn't a machine spitting out objective evaluations, he was a dude reviewing movies. Hardly 'problematic'. Whatever flaws he had were massively outweighed by his virtues as a critic. Give the dude some due.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Also everyone agree with this post so I can make the next [chat]!

Fair warning, it will probably be about sports.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    I know I'm late, but Atomika likes fewer movies than Ebert.

It's true. I don't like many.

But I hope springs eternal.

Well, just to balance out the neigh sayers. I really like the movie you wrote up for the Instant Watch Movie dealio. Young Adult. That was a good movie that I would never have seen if not for your liking it.

Aw! Thank you!

That makes me feel helpful and awesome!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    How do I explain to my friend that being a 24 year old with 9 grand in the bank doesn't make her poor and that when she says she has no money to me it is insulting?

let her know that she is currently worth 13 grand more than me

shh-shh-shh, no, let's not count debt because that makes us sad

i'm not that bad off

my main concern is having minus 50e in my current account until i get paid on thursday because i can't afford nice things like food o

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Bud Lite lime-a-rita

Us not buying that pallet of Bud-A-Rita variety pack beer is my biggest regret from that weekend.

animedad.jpg

• Options
    I'm reviewing GotG for a local culture website. I'm going to love the movie and then slate it in print JUST BECAUSE.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    as to my stance on roger ebert

yes, he watched a lot of movie and was clearly familiar with the history of film

i feel that there were a handful of films he was extremely disingenuous towards and this contradicts his supposed "objective" to watching and review movies

couple that with being the loudest mouthpiece in film criticism and i think he is a problematic figure

also, any review which measures are on a scale (be it stars, thumbs, numbers, tomatoes, whatever) is inherently garbage

You can ignore the score at the end. It doesn't make all the words in front of it irrelevant. Yes scores are terrible. No they don't mean the whole review is awful.

And for fucks sake you can't review movies for as long as Ebert did without having some odd opinions every now and then. He wasn't a machine spitting out objective evaluations, he was a dude reviewing movies. Hardly 'problematic'. Whatever flaws he had were massively outweighed by his virtues as a critic. Give the dude some due.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Seriously.

My anti depressants make me go from "lying in bed sobbing because the world is too hard" to "lying in bed playing video games because the world is too hard". Other than depression, none of the issues I have been diagnosed with are being treated because doctors are afraid I will become addicted to them.

I am tired and I will gladly take addiction at this point.

It has taken me about 8 years but finally I have gathered up the will and energy to bother enough people so that I might get all the right drugs and treatment I need.

It is particularly difficult because while the depression is being managed by my antidepressants, my energy level is still through the floor 9 days out of 10, so motivating myself to do the things that need to be done is really hard.

I wrote all of this in a letter which I then distributed to my family and my doctors though, so they understand now that while doing a given thing may seem easy, it can be the hardest thing in the world for me because my brain is a jerk and so I am gonna need some help.

Hmm...yeah maybe letters would be a better avenue for me.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    How do I explain to my friend that being a 24 year old with 9 grand in the bank doesn't make her poor and that when she says she has no money to me it is insulting?

convince her to sink it all into scratchers

then her problems will be realer

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Well you can say "no, I have no money. You have money."

not that I'd entirely agree that just 9 grand in the bank makes you not-poor but that's with my CoL in mind I have no idea what it's like where you are

There's no easy way to broach this topic.

Each person has a different set of problems, even if it was their own choosing.

I guess I would say 9k isn't a whole lot of money. She's one bad bone break away from being poor.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Ugh stupid delivery people delivering to the campus mail room instead of directly to our office for big packages.
    Just had to carry three packages plus our department mail across campus.
    the boxes were cutting into my hands so bad they started turning purple
    bluhhhhhh

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I would like to clarify that I was not criticizing the use of or dependence on medicine, psychiatric or otherwise.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I come in and get told I need to talk to this potential new hire, he wants to know about my job. So I'm a little confused but I sit down and talk with him. He tells me he's always dreamed of what is basically a sales engineer position. My first thought is good god why, and my second thought is maybe he needs to aim higher. It's a fine job but for one's dream job you should stretch a little more.

I talk with him and he's a smart guy but he's got no technical background at all but he's very interested in eventually doing my job. So I lay out the potential path for him. And I'm quietly pointing out some of the things he thinks will be interesting are things our sales people do already. But he's basically gonna have to walk a kind of shitty path to get there. So we'll see what happens.

But what is the deal with people gunning for my job of late? I'd be worried if I thought any of them would be a replacement for me but it's just weird.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Bud Lite lime-a-rita

animedad.jpg

It's so easy to drink too, so everyone probably would have opened and sipped on one between cocktails. The look on your face of a huge group of people in your home drinking lime-a-rita would have been priceless.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Spiro has actually been kind of helpful with my anxiety, and I am getting more of it today.

Not sure if that is helping due to hormonal things, or if it is because I almost certainly have hypertension, or both.

Man the second I was on spiro I felt so much better about everything

Best antidepressant ever

• Options
    In fact why wait till the movie is out? I might as well write a review about how it sucks now without watching it!

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'm reviewing GotG for a local culture website. I'm going to love the movie and then slate it in print JUST BECAUSE.

Again, I get where you are coming from, but this is a thing that is done in both directions. It's a fundamental part of clickbait. Be contrary or outlandish to get hits.

• Options
    i think my main problem is score inflation

especially with games

"7/10, mediocre game"

70% IS NOT MEDIOCRE YOU FUCKS

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

i'm not that bad off

my main concern is having minus 50e in my current account until i get paid on thursday because i can't afford nice things like food o

yeah me neither. My debt doesn't matter as long as I'm studying, anyway, so who cares.

Also, I know that feel. I'd ship you a can of beans if I had any to spare but I need mine to be fed until I get paid on friday.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I had 3 beers last night and I feel horrible this morning

I wasn't even drunk!

this is an outrage

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    i found myself disagreeing with the movies ebert liked pretty often. i guess we just had different preferences. when he and gene siskel did their movie show, i generally found myself more in agreement with siskel.

i always appreciated his perspective on films, though. he had some interesting insights and he was a neat person.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Spiro has actually been kind of helpful with my anxiety, and I am getting more of it today.

Not sure if that is helping due to hormonal things, or if it is because I almost certainly have hypertension, or both.

Best antidepressant ever

oh god you guys are the spiro cartel too?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

convince her to sink it all into scratchers

then her problems will be realer

Bitcoin

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I come in and get told I need to talk to this potential new hire, he wants to know about my job. So I'm a little confused but I sit down and talk with him. He tells me he's always dreamed of what is basically a sales engineer position. My first thought is good god why, and my second thought is maybe he needs to aim higher. It's a fine job but for one's dream job you should stretch a little more.

I talk with him and he's a smart guy but he's got no technical background at all but he's very interested in eventually doing my job. So I lay out the potential path for him. And I'm quietly pointing out some of the things he thinks will be interesting are things our sales people do already. But he's basically gonna have to walk a kind of shitty path to get there. So we'll see what happens.

But what is the deal with people gunning for my job of late? I'd be worried if I thought any of them would be a replacement for me but it's just weird.

What are the chances a higher up is trying to find out how hard it would be to replace you, or, find a way to replace you for cheap?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Haha holy crap amateur hour.

So Walmart's number one selling sku is 4011 which is bananas. Any store that will always sell the most by volume.

Store manager came in this morning and got on the radio...

"How come we don't have almost any bananas on the shelf I told you guys earlier to take care of the banana issue why didn't you guys do it?"

I chuckled mostly because I have no way to be caught in the crosshairs of that problem.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

not that I'd entirely agree that just 9 grand in the bank makes you not-poor but that's with my CoL in mind I have no idea what it's like where you are

I guess I would say 9k isn't a whole lot of money. She's one bad bone break away from being poor.

Also highly relevant is: what is she making?

without income yes 9k makes you poor

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »

Again, I get where you are coming from, but this is a thing that is done in both directions. It's a fundamental part of clickbait. Be contrary or outlandish to get hits.

I keed. I will be amazed beyond words if I don't love every fucking minute of it. I'm certainly looking forward to a big, fun space adventure with lasers and aliens and spaceships and everything.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

e.g. thought catalog

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEN4hcZutO0

Thought this was pretty cool and humbling. It's a shame they can't get easy access to chocolate where they live.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

especially with games

"7/10, mediocre game"

70% is mediocre under american grading

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

especially with games

"7/10, mediocre game"

worst game ever. will literally give you cancer. 11/10 - IGN

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Bud Lite lime-a-rita

animedad.jpg

It's so easy to drink too, so everyone probably would have opened and sipped on one between cocktails. The look on your face of a huge group of people in your home drinking lime-a-rita would have been priceless.

i think id laugh and just die on the inside as I sweat and bolted between the living room and the kitchen to make more dranks.

• Options

i'm not that bad off

yeah me neither. My debt doesn't matter as long as I'm studying, anyway, so who cares.

Also, I know that feel. I'd ship you a can of beans if I had any to spare but I need mine to be fed until I get paid on friday.

so long as i can cobble together enough money to go drinking/karaoke with this girl on saturday, i'll live

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

What are the chances a higher up is trying to find out how hard it would be to replace you, or, find a way to replace you for cheap?

Pretty slim. This guy would be at least a year away from maybe doing my job assuming he busts his ass on nights and weekends. And management doesn't seem interested in him doing it but more just indulging his interest.

• Options

Also highly relevant is: what is she making?

without income yes 9k makes you poor

Yeah to save up 9k, you've got to be pulling down some serious dough, or, have been saving for a while.

9k as a single person is easy if you've got 50k a year and a low CoL. You could probably do 15k a year or more on that kind of income.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I had 3 beers last night and I feel horrible this morning

I wasn't even drunk!

this is an outrage

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/seniorshealth.html

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Seriously.

My anti depressants make me go from "lying in bed sobbing because the world is too hard" to "lying in bed playing video games because the world is too hard". Other than depression, none of the issues I have been diagnosed with are being treated because doctors are afraid I will become addicted to them.

I am tired and I will gladly take addiction at this point.

It has taken me about 8 years but finally I have gathered up the will and energy to bother enough people so that I might get all the right drugs and treatment I need.

It is particularly difficult because while the depression is being managed by my antidepressants, my energy level is still through the floor 9 days out of 10, so motivating myself to do the things that need to be done is really hard.

I wrote all of this in a letter which I then distributed to my family and my doctors though, so they understand now that while doing a given thing may seem easy, it can be the hardest thing in the world for me because my brain is a jerk and so I am gonna need some help.

Hmm...yeah maybe letters would be a better avenue for me.

I have found they are really the only way I can communicate my problems constructively to my family, and a real time-saver with doctors/ mental health professionals. I can communicate clearly through my writing, whereas I have a lot of anxieties and guilt / pride issues when trying to discuss things face to face.

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »

Best antidepressant ever

oh god you guys are the spiro cartel too?

Have you considered spiro recently? Let me give you this pamphlet....

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i found myself disagreeing with the movies ebert liked pretty often. i guess we just had different preferences. when he and gene siskel did their movie show, i generally found myself more in agreement with siskel.

i always appreciated his perspective on films, though. he had some interesting insights and he was a neat person.

I had a few here and there where I wasn't disagreeing because he liked things I did not or vice versa but because I disagreed completely with his interpretation and thought he was not watching the same movie as me

but mostly his reviews had a lot of interesting insights and where worthwhile to read (even though I do wish he'd just not write the first half where's he's just summing up the movie plot because a plot summary is never interesting)

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.