As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Listen:
    I'm guessing it's near future then, because wasn't the TARDIS still "slaved to [Clara's] timeline?"

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    What are you referring to?

Because that was only when she had her hands stuck in the jimmyjabber.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I figure te time lords lived outside if time.

They are from the ancient past though. Rassilion fought the vampires and those spider things before Earth even existed.

Idk when the doctors time is, but I assume once they're time lords they are basically outside if the regular flow of the universe.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    OmnibusOmnibus Registered User regular
    The "safeties were off" so the TARDIS could go to any time or place regardless of the amount of paradox it could generate. You're messing around with the Blinovitch Limitation Effect at your own peril.

In the New Adventures, the (now dubiously-canon) novels that showed up following the original cancellation, Gallifrey was the far distant past, with a sort of "it's nigh-impossible to change the past, but easy to change the future" deal. Of course, the Time Lords' native time is incredibly far back, so almost any fooling around in time is in, what to them, is the future.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I thought Timelords were the first sentient species, like literally the first in the universe and their society was established billions of years ago.

Obviously there is some wonky timey whimey stuff going on with regards to "when is the Doctor from?", and I have no clue how to answer that.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    K so far this season the overarching storyline consists of:
    - A weird lady in "heaven" welcoming recently dead people who were in contact with the Doctor/Clara into her realm
    - Robots who are trying to escape Earth and reach the Promised Land

And this most recent episode definitely did not close the case on the "watchers/shadows/things under the bed" which I think will eventually feed into the above themes.

Has anyone put together a theory as to how this all connects?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm pretty certain the case was decidedly closed in Listen.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    Then what was that thing on the bed?

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

I think the point was, honestly, that it doesn't matter.

• Options
    One of the other kids being a dick

sig.gif
  • Options
    I can buy both of those reasons.

I can also see Moffat pulling a switcheroo on us and having it tie in later to the overarching plot this season (or even next season).

• Options
    It could; while Moffat did say 'no series-long mysteries', we know that Moffat purposefully lies. :P

That could just mean that everything is resolved in Ep 12 instead of 13.

I'd just say that there wasn't any clear connections to the already established meta from the first few episodes overtly. I'm sure a lot of the little things will play in later...just not the thing under the covers.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    It could; while Moffat did say 'no series-long mysteries', we know that Moffat purposefully lies. :P

That could just mean that everything is resolved in Ep 12 instead of 13.

I'd just say that there wasn't any clear connections to the already established meta from the first few episodes overtly. I'm sure a lot of the little things will play in later...just not the thing under the covers.

I mean, isn't the Paradise/Heaven stuff already a season-long mystery at this rate.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Moffat says a lot of things, and he blatantly lies.

EDIT: He said no series long mysteries, but here we are with the Paradise stuff. I'm sure it'll just be slightly less than series long, and that's how he'll still get to say he wasn't lying.

I don't say this to criticism him, it's just part of the whole Doctor Who game, but he plays it well.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I think Moffat later specified that he meant multi-series arcs and that the usual single series arcs would stay around.

Edit: This was probably the interview excerpt I had in mind. "Yes [there are over-arching plotlines], but at the same time 90 percent of every episode is a stand-alone adventure."

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I'd love if they dropped the overt multi-series arcs.

I think it's great to do a 90% stand alone, 10% tie in, and then wrap it up, for the most part, each season.

There'll obviously be some loose threads, things that you can catch over the course of seasons (Face of Boe, sound of drums, etc), but while I generally like the style of Moffat more than Davies, one thing RTD did better was keeping each season contained within itself.

Except Rose. But I'm not sure any more can be said on that, that hasn't already. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Back in the 90s, there was a VHS release of the incomplete 1979 serial Shada where the missing scenes were covered by linking narration delivered by a silver-haired Tom Baker as he wandered around the old Doctor Who exhibit at MOMI. And he's pottering about, credited as Tom Baker, but narrating as if he is the Doctor and this is just him telling this story that happened to him years back.

As soon as I watched The Day of the Doctor, the Curator and Shada VHS Tom Baker became one and the same in my head canon. I don't know how or where they fit, but they're the same person/incarnation for me.

Edit: Yet another possibility is that the Curator is actually Tom Baker. Like, real life Tom Baker who's somehow slipped into the Doctor Who universe.

At times I'm fairly certain that Tom Baker and Dr Who are the same person in Tom Baker's head canon.

He's not alone.

I have two in my head. The vague tall weird googly eyed space wizard with the longest scarf you ever did see that I caught occasional glimpses of as a kid on the ABC (I never watched a full episode or serial).

and a mad man in a box, who is My Doctor.

Seeing those two face to face made my day.
    Who, knows?

Capaldi may or may not become the third.
    I really admire his acting. He does a lot of really subtle and frankly amazing things in every episode that impress me greatly. As for his overall total impression of a Doctor, well he doesn't really have one yet imo.

Grumpy and funny old stick insect at this point.

But every now and again, in every episode, for a brief moment, there's magic in the air, as the wizard shines through.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

Clara. Duh.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I haven't really followed the behind-the-scenes stuff since the handover to Moffat, but I get the impression that he had grander plans in mind for his persistent mysteries and they ended up just not coming off the way he had wanted, either through external factors (budget cuts/the alleged feud with the BBC/whatever) or a failure of execution somewhere along the line.

And in a sense that's a shame, because I certainly enjoy watching interesting mysteries that patiently unfold over a span of years. But this is also a show that could probably benefit from learning to just work on shoring up its weaknesses and improving the median quality of its episodes rather than racing from high point to high point and just coasting on all the spots in between.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Half of RTD's myths and arcs I very much doubt he actually meticulously planned out in advance. More like he just had a bunch of dots that could easily be connected with a line to form a picture. Which I'm not disparaging, it's pretty genius writing, in a "flying by the seat of your pants" sort of way.

Like for example, the entire arc involving Donna and her family. She was just a one-shot planned for The Runaway Bride. And Wilf was just a random guy in Voyage of the Damned. Then they bring Donna back because they liked her. They wanted to bring her father back too, but the actor died, so they bring back Wilf 'cuz they liked him too, and spun it that he was her grandfather. And then they totally whip up a "faux" arc on how and why the Doctor kept running into these specific people that continues on to the Metacrisis bit, and even all the way to 10's regeneration.

Ain't no way he actually planned all that. He just had a bunch of pieces, filled in the blanks in between, and boom, multi season arc.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, that describes pretty much all TV writing ever almost I'd assume.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    so I jumped on Dr Who for the first time, brought on cos Peter Capaldi played one the best tv characters ever imo in the thick of it. And so far?

Yeah I'm enjoying it, it's a good show, I mean it's certainly 'family entertainment' and I didn't find the most recent epidosode scary in the slightest. I like the way, from what I can see, it tells lots of different types of stories with vastly different tones and genres. So yeah decent, not a must watch for me but a fine show.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    TIL that as far back as 1964, newspapers were printing rumours and speculation about stuff like companion departures and when the Daleks were coming back. There was even one newspaper that was reporting at the end of 1965 that Hartnell was leaving, complete with a quote from Hartnell apparently confirming it and a quote from Hartnell's agent emphatically denying it.

I'd always thought this was a more recent thing.

• Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    so I jumped on Dr Who for the first time, brought on cos Peter Capaldi played one the best tv characters ever imo in the thick of it. And so far?

Yeah I'm enjoying it, it's a good show, I mean it's certainly 'family entertainment' and I didn't find the most recent epidosode scary in the slightest. I like the way, from what I can see, it tells lots of different types of stories with vastly different tones and genres. So yeah decent, not a must watch for me but a fine show.

Just out of curiosity, where did you start?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »

I highly suggest going back and watching at least Matt Smith's run.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/nick-frost-to-guest-star-in-doctor-who-christmas-special
    Frost is joined by Natalie Gumede, Faye Marsay, Nathan McMullen, and Michael Troughton, whose father played the second incarnation of the Doctor.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hah!

Has Sean Pertwee ever appeared on Doctor Who? He'd make a good villain...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Looooooots of slow-mo

• Options
    Yeah, not a fan of the editing in this one. It's trying to be a heist movie and it's not really doing it.
    Good looking monster tho! It's animatronic by the looks of it, and a good one.

Man, Twelve failing to save people and not seeming to give a shit looks to be a theme

Also a fan of Capaldi's theme music. Getting a good listen in this ep.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I enjoyed that a whole lot. Slick, fun, twisty and good looking.

Nice final line as well.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Okay, I liked it.

Doesn't mean I can't nitpick, though.
    The fact that there's a storm explains why they couldn't just land the Tardis in the vault at the time they were robbing it, fine.
    And they were robbing it at that time because the storm is the only way to open the vault.
    How does it explain why they couldn't land the Tardis in the vault at any other possible time?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah this was kind of just...forgettable.

Lacked wit and good character moments.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    That is my favourite episode of this series thus far.

• Options
    I thought it was the cheapest looking episode so far, really bothered me seeing the same corridor with different colour filters as different floors (or just changing for the sake of it...) and the cuts from scene to scene were just off. I swear they've had a significant budget cut. Or maybe they're struggling with a full series production schedule after doing short years for a while?

I mean it's a show that has had to make do with wheelie bins and egg whisks as threatening objects, but Series 5 through to Day of the Doctor had some great production values, and they've just plummeted this series. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Liked the episode, didn't like the editing/the whole visual look actually. Had no personality. And this wasn't entirly because of the low budget.

C2B on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    My favourite this season for sure. I've not enjoyed this season too much so thats not saying much but eh, at this point I'll take anything.

Next episode looks fun though. Except for the insufferable boyfriend. But still fun!

• Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    I really liked that. Proper good fun. Also I'm impressed how there is yet to be an episode I haven't enjoyed.

2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I got the ending from the get go, the Doctor would never involve himself for something as petty as valuables. But it was a fun quick romp. cheap production values I agree, but the episode didn't need them. It was the interactions that made it work.

And Clara in that suit.... woof.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only thing I'm not a fan of that they've been doing over the last few episodes is how the Doctor is sorta adopting Strax's schtick. Why are you taller, why is your face painted, why are you all eyes. I dunno, it just sorta grates after a little bit.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Enjoyed this but I'm pretty sure the writer of this episode lacked any original ideas.
    He also needed an editer.
    And also apparently couldn't google the name "delphox"

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
This discussion has been closed.