Options

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    The bottom is blocked so it can't be scanned, this prevents people from using an NFC reader to scan them into their phones and have a virtual collection.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's a strip of magnetic tape on the bottom of the plastic that stops them being read. But there are videos that show how to discreetly open the bottom of the box if you still want to keep it presentable.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    PacMan1979 wrote: »
    Very nice! I wanted to keep them in the boxes, but I like having them on display more. I'm curious, can you register the Amiibo on the Wii U Gamepad/New 3DS while they are still in the packaging?
    Can't do this. Each amibo base has a little metal foil square blocking the RF signal taped to the bottom of the packaging. I suppose you could shake it up and free it from the base of the plastic and then it might work without actually opening it.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'm hoping they do the amiibo card thing they were talking about sooner rather than later.

I have no interest in the figures but wouldn't mind getting some of the in game functionality, and I definitely don't want to have to transport figures around with me to use them for n3DS games.

I figure it wont be long before someone comes out with a little device that can record and replay the various signals for each amibo. That way you scan it once and it 'records' whatever its sending in a little library.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So the Gold Mario amiibo is Walmart exclusive
    REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Mario has always been golden in the minds of his fans. On March 20, Nintendo will launch the Super Mario amiibo—Gold Edition, a shiny gold-colored Mario figure that arrives on the same day as the Mario Party 10 game for the Wii U console. The Super Mario amiibo—Gold Edition will be sold exclusively at 3,000 Walmart stores in the U.S. at launch at a retail price of $12.96.

Nintendo’s amiibo are interactive toys that come to life in compatible games in different ways. This new golden figure represents the third Mario amiibo. The other two Mario amiibo are:

The original ‘fireball’ Mario from the Super Smash Bros. series.
    A new ‘wave’ Mario from the Super Mario series available on March 20, for a limited time bundled only with Mario Party 10.

The new gold-colored Mario amiibo is compatible with multiple games that support amiibo. For example, Mario Party 10 features a new amiibo Party mode that players can only access by tapping their compatible amiibo figures on the Wii U GamePad controller to customize them and bring them into the game as board pieces. Players can also save items to their amiibo, then use them strategically. Or players can train their amiibo to supercharge its stats and expand its abilities in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. The full list of compatible games and amiibo can be found at http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility.

For more information about amiibo, visit http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Nintendo updated their Amiibo page with Golden Mario.

I am more curious if having the golden plumber unlocks a golden themed board and token for MP10 or a golden FP for smash. If not then I have no real reason to get em if he functions just like Super Mario and Smash Mario.

Basically I'd want Golden Mario to unlock something unique the others can't, to give me that incentive to own him.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So he is at the Hell Known to Men
    Meh still my goal is the Fire Emblem ones

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

My hero! I snagged one!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Sold out.
      Clocked in at 15 minutes.

• Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

....aaaaaaand it's gone.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      TairuTairu Registered User regular
      And nothing of value was lost

• Options
      McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
      Geez, good thing I didn't actually want him.

• Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      Yea, I didn't want it either. But my god, that was fast. :rotate:

Brainiac 8 on
      3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      A lot of people are out there saying they didn't really want him, but pre-ordered 2 anyway. They've gone amiibo crazy.

• Options
      BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      They should have put the new Mario amiibo in blind packaging, and advertise a chance of getting a golden Mario.

BronzeKoopa on
    • Options
      ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
      Looks like mega man and sonics are getting pretty good restocks at gamestop. Same with sheik and toon link.

Also God damn 15 minute sellout

• Options
      MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
      Just get those NFC cards made already, Nintendo.

• Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      And the Gold Mario is already up on ebay and selling for crazy amounts. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      ZythonZython Registered User regular
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      And the Gold Mario is already up on ebay and selling for crazy amounts. :P

It's going to be worth its weight in etc.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
      Steam: pazython
    • Options
      NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      They should have put the new Mario amiibo in blind packaging, and advertise a chance of getting a golden Mario.

the packaging should look like a ? block around the amiibo

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • Options
      SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      Naphtali wrote: »

the packaging should look like a ? block around the amiibo

I bet if you went through this and like, the 3DS thread, you'd find a zillion recommendations for awesome stuff like this. Stuff Nintendo will never do, because...uh...reasons?

• Options
      Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

Do it like the Funko blind bag figures for like MLP, Adventure Time, DC, Marvel. Sealed box with a sealed bag inside. Box shows all the types and their rarities in that wave. G. Mario would be like the 1/24 chance while the others are like 2/12 chance.

• Options
      edited February 2015
      Not sure which I am more depressed at.
      The fact that it's just a recolor.
      The amount of listings on EBay.
      or people are actually BUYING it from said listings on EBay.

Riokenn on
    • Options
      I forget, did the gold Skylanders stuff do anything different in the games, or were they just gold?

• Options
      -Abel--Abel- Registered User regular
      I really hope Nintendo releases a crap ton of these Golden Marios. Not because I want one, but so that people will stop pre-ordering every damn Amiibo that is announced in hopes of making a profit on it.

• Options
      MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Do it like the Funko blind bag figures for like MLP, Adventure Time, DC, Marvel. Sealed box with a sealed bag inside. Box shows all the types and their rarities in that wave. G. Mario would be like the 1/24 chance while the others are like 2/12 chance.

Blind boxes are the absolute worst.

• Options
      edited February 2015

Gogogogogogo part 2 (aka back in stock)

Warlock82 on
      Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Geez, Warlock. You're a machine!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options

Gogogogogogo part 2

aaaand it's gone part 2. Had it in my cart for three seconds.

• Options
        edited February 2015
        Sorry, would have posted it a few mins sooner but something about this building blocks my 4G signal so everything is slow as hell.

Either way, keep checking I guess. Clearly they had more to put up after the first wave so maybe it'll go back up again.

I've been hounding reddit which is how I noticed.... Still waiting for Wave 4 pre-orders :P

Warlock82 on
      • Options
        Guess if you're on the hunt for a gold Mario, I'd suggest setting up a Walmart account now rather than later.

• Options

Gogogogogogo part 2 (aka back in stock)

Gogogogogo part 3 (going in and out of stock as Walmart is cancelling orders over 2)

• Options
        TayaTaya Registered User regular
        I want a gold Mario but I don't think I'll lose sleep if I can't get one.

I hope I hope I hope Walmart.ca does preorders at a reasonable time of day and limits orders to one.

• Options
        ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
        It will let me put it in my cart, but then is saying its out of stock.

• Options
        God, I don't even want but I still tried adding it to my cart.

Amiibos are evil.

• Options
        -Abel--Abel- Registered User regular
        McFlynn wrote: »
        God, I don't even want but I still tried adding it to my cart.

Amiibos are evil.

I did the same thing. I don't know what's wrong with me. 95% of me has no interest, but 5% is like "DO IT OR YOU'LL NEVER GET ANOTHER CHANCE FOR GOLD MARIO!"

• Options
        HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
        Desire:
        I want all the Amiibos.

Problem:
        Nintendo. Manufacturing. Scalpers.

Solution:
        Wait until someone gets married or realizes they blew their tax return on Amiibos. Buy entire collection for cheap.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
      • Options
        maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
        edited February 2015
        So uh...I came home to two boxes today. I was only expecting one.

As it turns out, Target accidentally sent me two Dedede Amiibos.

88qcrFwl.jpg

Seriously. I only bought one, and my card is only charged for one...the packing slips appear identical. Weird, I wonder how that happened.

gM6vrug.png

maximumzero on
        FU7kFbw.png
        Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
      • Options
        skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
        Cloning. Must be cloning.

Nintendo Console Codes
        Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      This discussion has been closed.