Options

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So uh...I came home to two boxes today. I was only expecting one.

As it turns out, Target accidentally sent me two Dedede Amiibos.

88qcrFwl.jpg

Seriously. I only bought one, and my card is only charged for one...the packing slips appear identical. Weird, I wonder how that happened.

gM6vrug.png

I've read a lot of reddit posts about target fucking up their orders by sending doubles. They must just suck :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So uh...I came home to two boxes today. I was only expecting one.

As it turns out, Target accidentally sent me two Dedede Amiibos.

88qcrFwl.jpg

Seriously. I only bought one, and my card is only charged for one...the packing slips appear identical. Weird, I wonder how that happened.

gM6vrug.png

I've read a lot of reddit posts about target fucking up their orders by sending doubles. They must just suck :P

Sadly Target got my order right.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Man...I just want all the kirby dudes and Metaknight and Dedede are sold out online. Fuck this shit. This is like Nintendo putting Earthbound on the Wii U instead of the 3DS. Why do they not want my money!? (or release Mother 3 for that matter)

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Well, someone is trading me for a Rosalina, and it's looking like that's going to be the hardest to get a hold of out of the store exclusives, except for maybe Shulk, so that's a positive.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well, someone is trading me for a Rosalina, and it's looking like that's going to be the hardest to get a hold of out of the store exclusives, except for maybe Shulk, so that's a positive.

Wow, for a Dedede? Take that shit. I still think Dedede isn't going to be super rare after a couple weeks (like Sheik).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    at least Rosalina was the easiest to guarantee to get one when it came out

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Wow, for a Dedede? Take that shit. I still think Dedede isn't going to be super rare after a couple weeks (like Sheik).

Hey, trade for what you like.

I bet once an Animal Crossing Wii U game comes out, Villager (and other AC peeps) will be easy to get. Or at least easier than the non-existent Villager. I would probably debate trading a Rosalina for him. I have two on me, one for trading (I'd trade the other for someone I really wanted).

Animal Crossing Mario Kart DLC is out in May. E3 is June 16-18. Perfect time to announce AC Wii U and their first 5-7 Amiibo. Give me 2-4 Villagers (2 girls, 2 guys), Isabelle, KK Slider, and Nook to start. And then later they can be all, "Hey, Redfield! We are gonna release a Bam Amiibo." SWEET. The best would being able to have your character made (although I guess customizing fixes that).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options

Was it? I wasn't able to get to a store on its release date and by the end of my workday they were long gone.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

Was it? I wasn't able to get to a store on its release date and by the end of my workday they were long gone.

I was over a friend's house during release morning and we checked two Targets. Both had plenty of her. I should've grabbed more. I grabbed 3 (one for a friend, one for a teammate, and one for myself - teammate didn't need it, so I now have two to potentially trade).

They had a ton of Shiek and Toon Link as well those days.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    out of the retailer exclusives

Lucario at Toys R Us was a clusterfuck by all accounts, with cancelled orders, stores not getting but a couple extras, etc.
    Metaknight at Best Buy was stand in line an hour before open at minimum or you were screwed. Stores were sold out in minutes.
    Rosalina varied from minutes to end of day for selling out.
    Shulk was preorder only, no extras sent to stores. BUT Gamestop did a second wave of preorders when it released for an estimated May shipping. so that is promising for restocks.

Also for the current wave, it appears right now only Ike and Dedede are rare. all the others seem to be getting decent restocks. Hopefully the other 2 will be fixed as shipment passes through the west coast finally.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Waited outside of Toys R Us for the Lucario launch. Store didn't get enough extras for walk-ups.

Same story for Meta Knight.

Wasn't able to get to a Target for the Rosalina launch. Gone by the end of the day.

Missed out on the original Shulk pre-orders. Was on the highway on the way home from work when the second wave pre-orders went up.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    out of the retailer exclusives

Lucario at Toys R Us was a clusterfuck by all accounts, with cancelled orders, stores not getting but a couple extras, etc.
    Metaknight at Best Buy was stand in line an hour before open at minimum or you were screwed. Stores were sold out in minutes.
    Rosalina varied from minutes to end of day for selling out.
    Shulk was preorder only, no extras sent to stores. BUT Gamestop did a second wave of preorders when it released for an estimated May shipping. so that is promising for restocks.

Also for the current wave, it appears right now only Ike and Dedede are rare. all the others seem to be getting decent restocks. Hopefully the other 2 will be fixed as shipment passes through the west coast finally.

I've seen Dedede pop up in a LOT of places the last two weeks. He sells out instantly, but the frequency he's showing up says to me they have more stock than it seems.

Anyways, Shulk is being re-printed in May. I have heard people report that TRU are getting random restocks of Lucario (not many, but there seems to at least be *some* supply out there). Ditto (but less frequently) for Meta Knight (also I fully expect if he's really rare they'll reprint him for Kirby). I haven't heard of anyone getting a Rosalina beyond release date. And I'm honestly not sure they'll reprint her either since they're clearly working on a SMB series version - it makes more sense for Nintendo to just put a bunch of those out instead.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Yea. I remember watching Twitter during Rosalina and people were all "I waited over an hour and didn't get one!" and "My Target got only X in!" as I was all "Uh, they had too many at the two Targets I went to. I bought three today."

I really want to get into the customization game.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Rosalina definitely varies. Went into my Target the day of around noon and snagged the last one. Employee tells me and my friend they aren't getting anymore.

Anyone else camping walmart website? All of a sudden my brother wants the gold amiibo. Trying to get it for him since hes been through some rough times lately.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I think Rosalina was probably the most plentiful of the store exclusives, just not evenly distributed between stores. A handful of people online reported the first Target they stopped at was out, but the second one had 20+ still. I was able to buy a Rosalina the day after she came out even. Whereas there is only 5 Best Buys in my entire state and the only one on the entire southern two-thirds of the state got 10 Meta Knight total.

I really should buy the Smash Mario before he's completely replaced with Mario Mario.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    My daughter's 2nd favorite Mario series character is Rosalina, a very close second behind Daisy. Our local target got 3 Rosalinas, which were gone before the doors opened >< and there are no other Targets within an hour drive, not that it mattered as those sold out at opening anyways.

Trying to explain to a 6 year old why one of the biggest video game companies in the world can't make enough things for people to have is... challenging. Fortunately she isn't the 'oh I didn't get this new toy ahh its the end of the world' types, but I know it would have made her day to get one. Hopefully they won't screw us on the Mario Party version, but hope and Nintendo don't mix well.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

When I was getting my Rosalina, there was a guy behind me that asked if he could get 4 since he had kids. He had such a douchey smirk. It's prob that guy!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
      Rosalina will be back on the shelves. Just be patient.

• Options
      FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
      Those pictures are upsetting, I am upset.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
    • Options
      Did this guy hijack a semi?!

• Options
        I hate that guy.

• Options
        SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
        edited February 2015

Every store got a decent ammount and knew how many they had a week in advance. All one had to do was get in line early enough with that info. (Early on a Sunday, more convienient for most people)

Best Buy and TRU, if you could pull enough teeth to get into from them, often left out vital info - "we'll have 8" and not "we'll have 8 and 7 of them are preorders" and then they opened late morning on a Friday.

And, of course, shulk was basically impossible to get without a preorder (something gamestop still fucks up on a regular basis, despite being the one useful function their store provides)

SaraLuna on
      • Options
        cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
        McFlynn wrote: »
        I hate that guy.

That the same dude who was interviewed and managed to seem even WORSE than the hoarding pictures indicated?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      • Options
        edited February 2015
        I think Rosalina was probably the most plentiful of the store exclusives, just not evenly distributed between stores. A handful of people online reported the first Target they stopped at was out, but the second one had 20+ still. I was able to buy a Rosalina the day after she came out even. Whereas there is only 5 Best Buys in my entire state and the only one on the entire southern two-thirds of the state got 10 Meta Knight total.

Every store got a decent ammount and knew how many they had a week in advance. All one had to do was get in line early enough with that info. (Early on a Sunday, more convienient for most people)

Best Buy and TRU, if you could pull enough teeth to get into from them, often left out vital info - "we'll have 8" and not "we'll have 8 and 7 of them are preorders" and then they opened late morning on a Friday.

And, of course, shulk was basically impossible to get without a preorder (something gamestop still fucks up on a regular basis, despite being the one useful function their store provides)

First thought is that if Nintendo could have doubled or tripled the stock of the exclusives, they would have made far more money.

But how much of the demand is simply because they're scarce? Amiibos really seemed to take off once those first three were found to be discontinued. Its clear there are serious scalpers out there and they might be contributing to shortages, but people are buying at the inflated scalper prices. If someone is willing to pay 60 for a Rosalina, they're definitely willing to buy it at 13.

If Nintendo could have intentionally shorted wave 1 (to jump start the craze) but had boo-koo stock of the later waves, they might have really cleaned up.

McFlynn on
      • Options
        BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
        Every time I know of a "date" when a store is getting a shipment of them I see scalpers it's sick

• Options
        edited February 2015
        cloudeagle wrote: »
        I hate that guy.

That the same dude who was interviewed and managed to seem even WORSE than the hoarding pictures indicated?

I dunno. I was being vague, but I went ahead and googled the username in the Meta Knight picture.

It's a guy who posts on a Canadian deals forum (I'm a little familiar with it because my preferred ereader/ebook company is canadian) and I've clicked through a couple different posts. I saw at least one post where he went on at length about defending scalpers. He doesn't mention that he is one, of course.

McFlynn on
      • Options
        BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
        Defending scalpers is a idiot's quest

• Options
        See, I can understand the urge to grab an extra to sell if you happen to be in a store with a rare one. It's only human.

But that giant couch of Amiibos is nuts.

• Options
        That's usually what I do. Then I give em to folks who miss out or trade for ones I want

• Options
          Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
          I see that couch of Metaknight and King Dedede not being appreciated on my desk and I want to just run screaming to his house "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuu...." and finish the "CK YOU!" as I dive through his window and liberate them to distribute to all the non-scalper girls and boys....after claiming one of each for myself of course.

*is salty he probably wont get a metaknight*

• Options
          TimFiji wrote: »
          That's usually what I do. Then I give em to folks who miss out or trade for ones I want

I actually kept my Little Mac in box juuuuuust in case he became rare quick (he did), but I'm holding onto him for insurance in case, say, Ganondorf becomes store exclusive. I'm too old for this shit.

• Options
          skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
          I just want a Meta Knight to compliment my Kirby and Dedede Amiibo.

Nintendo Console Codes
          Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
          PM Me if you add me!
          HAIL HYDRA
        • Options
          I kind of think we are done with store exclusives other than these variant figures like Gold Mario. It just makes more sense to do them that way. Plus I'm sure most retailers are pissed at Nintendo for getting such low stock of their exclusive.

• Options
          I wonder if Meta Knight became the Best Buy exclusive because someone from BB's marketing was like "give us the dark blue one!"

Could've been Lucario but I bet TRU knew to pay for a pokemon.

• Options
          RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
          But what about Silver Mario?!
          Also this is unhealthy. I keep checking the Gold Mario page every 5 minutes. :(

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
        • Options
          Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
          Finally! Got a Sheik. There were 3 just laying there in Toys R Us.

Steam: kaylesolo1
          3DS: 1521-4165-5907
          PS3: KayleSolo
          Live: Kayle Solo
          WiiU: KayleSolo
        • Options
          wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
          Capt Howdy wrote: »
          Finally! Got a Sheik. There were 3 just laying there in Toys R Us.

supply chains are just weird. I literally haven't been to a bestbuy or future shop here in canada in the last 3 weeks that didn't have Shiek in stock. I bought her the first time I saw her becuase I thought she would be rare but nope.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
        • Options
          TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
          I think Nintendo should be firing some VPs and stuff soon if they don't get all these supply issues (even with things like GC controller adapters) fixed. At some point, they have to realize that they are hurting themselves that they have people who want to buy their stuff, but the impression to the customer is "fuck you". Eventually people are going to give up. Not to mention, they've allowed 3rd parties to encroach and make money off them (in the case of the GC adapters, there's tons of 3rd party solutions now).

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
        This discussion has been closed.