Options

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    GalCiv has shields being the main defense against beams.

I don't think it's as simple as "one type is good against shields", though. The technologies we've already seen indicate that projectiles, missiles, and beams all have a set of variants which fill different roles. I think autocannons were mentioned in a Blorg stream as being really good against shields, and then you have mass drivers which are armor piercing despite armor presumably being the main anti-projectile defense. Plasmathrowers also chew through armor, while Disruptors break down shields and they're both energy weapons. And there's at least one variant of missile that slips through shields.

It seems like there'll be a 'base' weapon type, but if you thematically don't want to use projectile weapons because you love the Star Trek style beam-and-missile combo? You'll still be able to counter enemies that outfit themselves with heavy shields and point-defense screens by equipping your ships with the proper variants.

I really hope that's how it actually works out in practice. A lot of the race ideas I've had bias heavily towards one or two weapon types, and it'd be nice if I really could stick to, say, energy weapons the whole time and just research variants to fill in the weaknesses.

EDIT: On quick review, yeah, there's also range to consider. I completely forgot about that.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I think it's safe to say there's going to be variants of just about every sci-fi ship weapon/defense ever at some point here. I expect the high level techs will fill multiple roles at the same time.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    There's going to be ship AI to take into account too. So your ships will attempt to attack in certain ways depending on what time of computer you load them up with.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I hope Stellaris has and or eventually gets the ship cross reference system from Sword of the Stars.

For those not in the know, the game kept track of every type of ship you encountered from each empire. It told you what weapons/systems your ships have witnessed the other empire's ship using (complete with the ship class name).

So if you wanted to go to war with the Bropire you'd check your reference tab on them and learn that their ships mainly use ballistic-keg weapons and have mondo-shields (along with any subsystems your fleets may have noticed).

That way you know to fit your fleet with weapons, armor, and shields to counter those ships.

If you encountered another Empire's ship and don't see it do anything then the reference for it will be a bunch of big '?'.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Axen wrote: »
    I hope Stellaris has and or eventually gets the ship cross reference system from Sword of the Stars.

For those not in the know, the game kept track of every type of ship you encountered from each empire. It told you what weapons/systems your ships have witnessed the other empire's ship using (complete with the ship class name).

So if you wanted to go to war with the Bropire you'd check your reference tab on them and learn that their ships mainly use ballistic-keg weapons and have mondo-shields (along with any subsystems your fleets may have noticed).

That way you know to fit your fleet with weapons, armor, and shields to counter those ships.

If you encountered another Empire's ship and don't see it do anything then the reference for it will be a bunch of big '?'.

You can certainly see the enemies loadouts when you encounter them, but I don't think there's any ability to keep track of this in game.

Though with the ease of customisation it's entirely possible for the next set of ships you encounter from an empire to be completely different from the last. This is of course assuming that AI opponents have the ability to do so; humans certainly will.

I think this has the potential be one of the most tense things about multiplayer. If you can scout out an opponents fleet in advance, you'll be rock to their scissors by the time they come knocking on your door. Leading to all sorts of shenanigans with hiding fleets, double bluffing with attacks and whatnot.

UGGGHHHH, HYYYYYPE.

Campy on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Blegh, I hate ship customization and loadouts on pretty much every space civ I have played. I want to create an empire, not micromanage armaments for max armor destruction.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Blegh, I hate ship customization and loadouts on pretty much every space civ I have played. I want to create an empire, not micromanage armaments for max armor destruction.

Given how Paradox games usually go, I would imagine that the higher tech/bigger fleet with the better admiral will win the vast majority of the time regardless of the details of weapon loadout and such. Hopefully it only REALLY matters if the fight is more or less equal, and what kind of Grand Strategist fights an even fight? :)

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    One thing I noticed from the Blorg Friends stream was the ability to dump your ships in port, click an upgrade all and the game would attempt to put your best tech on the ship. Might have to finagle power distribution a bit but it should help out with quickly upgrading designs.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »

Given how Paradox games usually go, I would imagine that the higher tech/bigger fleet with the better admiral will win the vast majority of the time regardless of the details of weapon loadout and such. Hopefully it only REALLY matters if the fight is more or less equal, and what kind of Grand Strategist fights an even fight? :)

There's an 'auto-complete' button which will customise your ship's loadout with up-to-date stuff for you.

and in the last blorg stream they showed that weapon/defence loadouts definitely matter. They had one neighbour to the west who they beat up pretty thoroughly because their ships turned out to be optimised to fight against that neighbour's stuff so the Blorg won that that part of the war because the enemy wasn't able to rebuild its fleet.
    But the neighbour to the south had different stuff on their ships, and utterly trounced a Blorg fleet of roughly equal strength and barely took a scratch while doing it. So they had to redesign their fleets to counter the new enemy.
    The Blorg also won their first war entirely because they'd researched shields and the guys they fought had weapons weak against shields so the Blorg utterly annihilated them

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    I believe Mass Drivers are the shield eating weapons, lasers eat armor, missiles have the greatest range but can be shot down.

We havent seen any carriers/fighters in the Blorg streams at all.

Yes we have, they made a cruiser variant that functions as a small carrier(the Cruise Ship). Fighters can attack opposing ships as well as shoot down missiles and enemy fighters/bombers, bombers can only attack ships but do more damage. Both are vulnerable to point defense weapons.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    A question for those that are more familiar with the games than I am, but what would be the major distinctions/differences between Stellaris and Distant Worlds?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    CesareB wrote: »

There's an 'auto-complete' button which will customise your ship's loadout with up-to-date stuff for you.

and in the last blorg stream they showed that weapon/defence loadouts definitely matter. They had one neighbour to the west who they beat up pretty thoroughly because their ships turned out to be optimised to fight against that neighbour's stuff so the Blorg won that that part of the war because the enemy wasn't able to rebuild its fleet.
    But the neighbour to the south had different stuff on their ships, and utterly trounced a Blorg fleet of roughly equal strength and barely took a scratch while doing it. So they had to redesign their fleets to counter the new enemy.
    The Blorg also won their first war entirely because they'd researched shields and the guys they fought had weapons weak against shields so the Blorg utterly annihilated them

That's too bad. I hold out hope that the numbers are such that the Blorg would have beaten the "southern" enemy even with a less than optimal loadout IF they had a notable size advantage or tech lead.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    A question for those that are more familiar with the games than I am, but what would be the major distinctions/differences between Stellaris and Distant Worlds?

Stellaris doesn't do the whole 'private sector' thing at all. You won't have swarms of little AI freighters, miners and passengers ships zipping around space trying to keep your economy afloat. On the other hand, Stellaris's diplomacy and population AI looks a lot more sophisticated than anything in Distant Worlds. Paradox has a really well thought out system in their games where wars can be fought for limited goals, and you have specific things you need to do in order to negotiate a peace deal that favors you. Populations will will form factions, demand specific things, and potentially rebel to gain independence. You will have planets and sectors that form their own cultures

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    If anyone manages to mod in a Victoria style economy to stellaris I would be in grave danger of never playing another game for the rest of my life.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ai-personality-modding-template.923770/
    Its gonna be possible to mod in different AI personality types (including new Fallen Empires)
    ##### Types:
    # honorbound -> Cares about honor and martial prowess above all else
    # capitalist -> Cares about trade and material profit above all else
    # hegemon -> Cares about the superiority of their own empire above all else
    # ideologue -> Cares about combating opposing ethoses above all else
    # isolationist -> Cares about maintaining their isolation from other empires above all else
    # federation_builder -> Cares about bringing different species together in a federation above all else
    # propagator -> Cares about the propagation of its species above all else
    # purifier -> Cares about purifying the galaxy of other species above all else
    # explorer -> Cares about exploring the galaxy and making scientific/spiritual discoveries above all else

##### Behaviours:
    # conqueror -> Will they conquer planets from other empires?
    # subjugator -> Will they vassalise other empires?
    # liberator -> Will they liberate conquered empires?
    # opportunist -> Are they more likely to attack someone already embroiled in war?
    # uplifter -> Will they uplift and enlighten other species?
    # infiltrator -> Will they infiltrate primitives?
    # dominator -> Will they invade primitives?
    # slaver -> Will they enslave pops?
    # purger -> Will they purge alien pops?
    # robot_exploiter -> Will they use robots for menial labor?
    # robot_liberator -> Will they give rights to robots?
    # migrator -> Will they want to migrate to other empires?

##### Modifiers:
    # aggressiveness -> Chance of declaring wars
    # trade_willingness -> At 1.0 willingness they will accept a deal that is equally good for both sides
    # bravery -> Affects the chance that they will pick rivals & war targets of similar strength instead of picking on the weak
    # military_spending -> Affects mineral & energy budget that goes to navies and armies
    # colony_spending -> Affects mineral & energy budget that goes to new colonies

GaryO on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    "They will attempt to make friends by any means necessary."

"Hi. Wanna be friends?"

"Give me your planet."

"Ok."

---

"Hi. Wanna be friends?"

"Give me your technology."

"Ok."

---

"Hi. Wanna be friends?"

"Give me resources."

"Ok."

--- Decades Later ---

"We've made friends with everyone. We have open borders with everyone... move in the bioweapons."

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    For bonus points, the bioweapons don't kill. They just cause "inexplicable" sterility.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Isnt that the plot to some scifi movie or tv show?

Friendly aliens come and help earth but they also slowly sterilize us.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

Maybe a Stargate SG1 episode?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Yup that was it: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Aschen

Friendly tech race that uses bio weapons to slowly depopulate allies until they can just take over.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Blorg stream up! Blorg continue their quest to reach Sol.

• Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else feel like they need one of those "Make Space Great Again" hats in order to play this game properly when it launches?

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Dissent wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like they need one of those "Make Space Great Again" hats in order to play this game properly when it launches?

No; it's amusing but that hat looks too similar to Trump's stupid hat at a glance that I'd never wear it anywhere, and what's the use of that?

488W936.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm just gonna wear my Trump hat. I can't read the hat while wearing it, so the experience will be the same from my perspective.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    I hope one of the earlier DLC's is the space version of CKII's merchant republics. Running a pan-galactic corporation sounds like fun. They could even add in a private sector mechanic with it like DW has, and owners of the DLC could take control of that private sector instead of the public one.

I'm sure the first DLC will be the ability to play as pirates though.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I'm just gonna wear my Trump hat. I can't read the hat while wearing it, so the experience will be the same from my perspective.

I feel like an authentic Trump hat would give -5 intelligence when worn though

• Options
    For anyone that missed the stream, The Blorg's new federation is called The United Frienderation of Pal-nets.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Smurph wrote: »

I feel like an authentic Trump hat would give -5 intelligence when worn though

In truth it gives +10 to triggering power. Favored weapon : chalk.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Yup that was it: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Aschen

Friendly tech race that uses bio weapons to slowly depopulate allies until they can just take over.

I especially love how it ended for the Aschen.

• Options
    I totally forgot about this, and the guys playing glossed over it(maybe deliberately), but something interesting was spotted during the last Stellaris stream.

They briefly traveled across an unclaimed black hole system, and there was a barren planet orbiting the black hole. So apparently black holes in this game can potentially have planets orbiting them.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    that is, in fact, exactly how it ended for the Aschen!

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Some of the main Paradox Twitch/Youtubers (Quill, Arumba, et al) have their advanced release, although media embargo is in effect until May 5. Looking forward to the multiplayer game in London Tuesday/Wednesday of next week.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I've been playing around with that race creator tool but haven't followed any of playthrough media (don't want to spoil the game too much). Can someone break down what a couple concepts mean? +Core Worlds, +Research Alternative and +Leader skills?

I'm thinking about Indirect Democracy, Direct Democracy or Research Directorate and while other things like -upkeep and +tolerance are pretty 4X standard the above aren't.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Presumably +Core Worlds means you have a larger home sector full of loyalists. I'd expect +Research Alternatives to give you an extra option when choosing research and +Leader Skills just makes your leaders better.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Hmm maybe I can find a wiki to carefully comb through, get a feel for the relative values.

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been playing around with that race creator tool but haven't followed any of playthrough media (don't want to spoil the game too much). Can someone break down what a couple concepts mean? +Core Worlds, +Research Alternative and +Leader skills?

I'm thinking about Indirect Democracy, Direct Democracy or Research Directorate and while other things like -upkeep and +tolerance are pretty 4X standard the above aren't.

Core Worlds: If you've ever played CK2 its basically your demesne. You can only control a certain number of planets directly(5 by default), all the others have to go into sectors. You can set a focus for the sector(mineral, energy, science) and can tax them 25-75%(except science which you get all of). The big thing I've noticed is you can't build space ports at planets in sectors, so all of your ship production is done at your core worlds.

Research Alternative: Think of the tech tree as a deck of cards. Whenever you choose a new tech to research it deals you 3 cards and you choose 1 to research while the others are shuffled back into the deck. So extra research alternatives would help with finding a specific tech you want faster.

Leader Cap: There are 4 types of leaders. Governors(provide bonuses to planets/sectors), Scientists(provide bonuses to research and man your science ships), Admirals(provide bonuses to your fleets), and Generals(Provide bonuses to your ground troops). There seems to be a fair number of techs that increase your leader cap so have the bonus as part of your government would basically be like starting with a free tech or two.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    We can't really accurately weigh the different starting traits and governments since they also change which techs might show up and your options for dealing with events and anomalies.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

No clue if that means you need psionics to unlock Jump) Drives, or if that's just one path to tearing a whole in reality.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sounds like navigating the warp to me.

This discussion has been closed.