As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    So I was given this game as a gift recently and decided to give it a spin. The world I started on was a hot, dusty hellscape with lots of rock arches and uneven terrain. I didn't stay long. The second world was a frozen heap with mountainous terrain and evergreen forests. I'm leaving soon. The sentinels can have it. I'm taking a bit of gold with me before I leave though. Speaking of, I was mining this big pillar of gold with a rocky core that went deep underground. Apparently I delved too greedily and too deep because I fell through the world and got stuck. Half hour of mining down the drain. It did not stop me from plundering this world's resources.

BUoXLZ5.png

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Doing the extreme sol achievement (again) and it looks like you could just stay in doors and keep the menu open, it'll keep the world running in real time which means the Life Support meter will keeep draining, easy to keep tabs on. NOICE! This'll go nicely with the Community marathon I'm running. ONWARDS TO SEASON 2!

• Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    You'll be streets ahead of most with that achievement.

• Options
    BladeX wrote: »
    You'll be streets ahead of most with that achievement.

I fucking love that I get that reference now :D

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I love caves that look like a monster's mouth.
    9g6eAU7.jpg

And here's a nice shot.
    HNOtcMX.jpg

So I notice that after I play for an hour or two, the game starts to get really slow. Is this something I can fix by tweaking the settings, or should I call it quits after I notice it happening?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The red teeth really make that one.

Yeah, it's a memory leak of some kind. I'm sure you could quit and boot back in if you wanted but kind of breaks the flow.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    90 minutes in the Sol Survivor and the ticker hasn't budged from 30.6 at all. This is going to take a while.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    fnhp6vobvhnv.jpg

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I played an absolute ton of this today. Had it on all morning to grind out The Sentinel trophy, and then just... dug in and kept playing for the next seven or so hours. It was amazing. Chasing the trophies is (a) giving me both short-term and long-term goals; (b) allowing me to spend as much or as little time on a planet as I feel comfortable spending, without feeling like I'm wasting time or rushing, whatever my speed; (c) giving a little more weight to the otherwise pointlessness that discouraged me a bit at launch.

Goal right now is to get to 2 million credits, pop that trophy, and then upgrade my ship in a big way. Then I can dedicate a little more time to space combat and stuff. All the while, warping, warping, warping.

Edit: Getting to a non-hostile planet is such a breath of fresh air. It's like landing on an enormous playground. I can exhale and just head in any direction. I'm suddenly feeling very positive and like I'm getting my money's worth with this game, even pre-additional content.

Edit2: Also, in all of those hours of play, no crashes! Glad that's been fixed, because they were brutal.

Edit3: I really like the way they tied the trophies to the in-game milestone system. So you don't have to get to the center of the galaxy to get the Platinum. Just... kind of considerate of them, considering that forcing players to really push towards the center would have diminished some of the enjoyment/importance of the ride.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    I absolutely love the variety of planets even if some stuff does repeat. The atmosphere of the nicer ones compared to the nasty ones is noticeable even in screenshots, sunrise, sunset and night time seem to get the best shots and I love the colour palette.

NEYj
    QqiR
    x1pE
    Big Things enabled shots:
    avtd
    Super hot planets:
    98A9f
    Hard to see in the picture but this is a giant Canyon on a barren hot planet:
    e10D

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    fnhp6vobvhnv.jpg

What I love about this is that you didn't just make 1 eye and rotate a copy, you made 2 seperate eyes.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So I'm on a terrible, acid-drenched hellhole of a planet.

It's such a bad planet that the memory leak that causes things to get choppy after an hour or so is happening after only 10 minutes.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    So I noticed that the planet I was on, while not being particularly interesting in most respects, did have a big mountain on it. The peak was hollow, with some cave type stuff under it.
    275850_20160905160737_1s.jpg
    Later, when the weather cleared:
    275850_20160905161633_1s.jpg
    I couldn't get a good shot of the surrounding landscape because it kept storming during the day, but trust me: it was pretty tall.
    275850_20160905161000_1s.jpg

It took me a good 15 seconds to glide back to the bottom of it, spending chunks of it in free fall, pulsing the jetpack to get over ledges and stuff.

I also decided to check out the last planet before heading out to a blue star. Again, not much of interest, but it was very purple.
    275850_20160905204335_1s.jpg

275850_20160905204318_1s.jpg

• Options
    I have watched 11 episodes of Community and STILL NO EXTREME SURVIVOR ACHIEVEMENT OH MY GOD WHY IS IT NOT DROPPING!?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I have watched 11 episodes of Community and STILL NO EXTREME SURVIVOR ACHIEVEMENT OH MY GOD WHY IS IT NOT DROPPING!?

Because you touch yourself before you go to bed

• Options
    That's not even relevant, quit being silly!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Are you a Ginger? Maybe the game knows you have no sol.

• Options
    Takes so long. 8 hours, I think? I had it running for a few hours one night to get it to 8ish sols, then for many more hours the following day while making and eating breakfast, doing laundry, leaving to run errands, etc. I really don't even understand the point of that trophy.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I really wish you could rotate the models around in the discoveries page like you can rotate pretty much everything in the Skyrim inventory page.

Named a creature WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAAACCCCEEEEE. But can't rotate the model to get a good screen grab of the face.

Edit: the point of the trophy is like Pokémon, gotta catch em all.

BladeX on
  • Options

I just meant... why is there a trophy for surviving for THAT long in an Extreme environment? Cheesing it is basically the only way to get it, unless you want to deal with some unbearably un-fun and probably nearly impossible play. Making it... 8 Sols or something would make it less outrageous.

Overall, though, as I've said: kudos to Hello Games for tying the trophies to the in-game accolades list and for making them attainable just through normal play, for the most part.

• Options
    Ah misunderstood sorry, no idea. Every game seems to have at least one really stupid achievement/trophy, I get challenges but as you said it's unbearable unless you cheese it. Also agree that it's cool the achievements tie into in game accolades.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Any idea what was on the 1.08 patch that was pushed over the weekend?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    GMaster7 wrote: »

I just meant... why is there a trophy for surviving for THAT long in an Extreme environment? Cheesing it is basically the only way to get it, unless you want to deal with some unbearably un-fun and probably nearly impossible play. Making it... 8 Sols or something would make it less outrageous.

Overall, though, as I've said: kudos to Hello Games for tying the trophies to the in-game accolades list and for making them attainable just through normal play, for the most part.

I dunno, I got it from running across a radioactive world with high-alert sentinels (with tons of titanium pouring in to refresh my rad protection) and gravitino balls, as well as vortex cubes in the cave systems when I was bored of dealing with the bots and radioactivity up top. I'll be leaving that planet with over 40 million units, I started there at around 1 mil.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I dunno, I got it from running across a radioactive world with high-alert sentinels (with tons of titanium pouring in to refresh my rad protection) and gravitino balls, as well as vortex cubes in the cave systems when I was bored of dealing with the bots and radioactivity up top. I'll be leaving that planet with over 40 million units, I started there at around 1 mil.

I was on a planet like that, and it was fun to evade/fight the sentinels, and I made a bunch of dough, but I wouldn't want to be there for 8ish hours, and I would be in constant fear of dying and losing hours of progress towards that trophy. Like, it'd be a crippling fear, and I wouldn't leave that underground area. Maybe that's just me. Or maybe... are the sols the same on every planet? Or are they shorter on some planets? Maybe you didn't spend 8 hours there.

As usual, no wrong way to play and I commend you for doing it legitimately. The way you've described it does make it sound like the trophy isn't quite so pointless or out of place.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

I was on a planet like that, and it was fun to evade/fight the sentinels, and I made a bunch of dough, but I wouldn't want to be there for 8ish hours, and I would be in constant fear of dying and losing hours of progress towards that trophy. Like, it'd be a crippling fear, and I wouldn't leave that underground area. Maybe that's just me. Or maybe... are the sols the same on every planet? Or are they shorter on some planets? Maybe you didn't spend 8 hours there.

As usual, no wrong way to play and I commend you for doing it legitimately. The way you've described it does make it sound like the trophy isn't quite so pointless or out of place.

I have every BP other than the Atlas V3 Pass. So I have all 3 shield bumps and all three radioactive bumps on my suit, as well as full life support as I can. Also, I have a 24 slot gun, so I can kill anything with relative ease. And while the sentinels are super active, they're only drones (no roaming dogs or walkers, unless I grab one of the gravitino balls, then it summons a dog). And the caves were/are coated with the cubes, so either way, I'm making bank.

I have no fear of death in this game. I've died . . . twice? Total. As long as I keep stocked up, and keep my shields up and all that, I'm good to go. If all else fails, running works.

For me, it was all about finding the perfect set-up to pull off making money while earning that set of trophies.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

That's like, a third of a spaceship!

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Here (Reddit) is the best info we have so far. No official notes yet.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I think the achievement itself is bugged. You are not supposed to stay on the same planet for 8hours, it's supposed to be an accumulation of all the extreme planets you visit.

• Options
    So I was mining a pillar of emeril(oh sweet emeril) and up 'til now the sentinels on this moon had ignored me. I'd be mining away and a sentinel would float past my shoulder and take no notice of my wholesale strip mining operation. Well all of the sudden they got pissed. Apparently I delved too greedily and too deep(again) only this time I had awoken something in the dark. I could see the icon for one but it was underground somewhere. It called for help. Help came. No worries. I have a grenade launcher. Ho! Ho! Ho! Er....all the sudden some drone dog thing shows up. Well he got grenades to the face just like the rest. I guess they didn't like that because this guy showed up next.

C2CBBF0ED9A9590898C1ECF44A9BE61CD7176314And that's when I decided to get out of Dodge.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Here (Reddit) is the best info we have so far. No official notes yet.

Seems they made it worse somehow? I mean I know it's reddit so they like to complain... But nothing of importance came out of that patch.

• Options
    Is there a mod that makes the talking to alien menus and such move faster?

• Options

Oh man. That drove me absolutely nuts. Just show me the buy/sell menus immediately! I hate waiting the 10 or so seconds for them to finally be visible.

• Options

Oh man. That drove me absolutely nuts. Just show me the buy/sell menus immediately! I hate waiting the 10 or so seconds for them to finally be visible.

Yea, it's driving me crazy! I also installed a colour blind mod as I didn't even know the dots on the animals to scan changed colours if you've discovered them, now undiscovered animals have a small triangle exclamation mark when you pull up your analyser.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Oh my gosh, how did you liiiiive.

It looks like there was a mod using NMSE called Fast Dialogue that accidentally caused some dialogue to disappear completely and thus was taken down.

Not sure of the extent of the problem, but maybe you can still find it online somewhere?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    That low flight mod with hover mode is just what the doctor ordered. Now I just need a mod that gets rid of milestone popups(without breaking the game) and gets rid of that zoom out thing that happens when you click a save point.

I'm still looking for a working warp drive or the plans to make a dynamic resonator. I haven't seen one for sale anywhere yet. I'm stuck in the first system until I find one.

Edit: Found the resonator. Now I just need to scrape together some iridium.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I like the zoomout, it gives you some insight into the surrounding area.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    The ships that land in the space station or at trading posts will have different items in stock, so if you get desperate you can maybe wait around there? You're supposed to be able to buy one once you need it, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Also, just in case: the doors to your left when you exit your ship in the space station will have a trade terminal behind them. Maybe it's there?

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, how did you liiiiive.

It looks like there was a mod using NMSE called Fast Dialogue that accidentally caused some dialogue to disappear completely and thus was taken down.

Not sure of the extent of the problem, but maybe you can still find it online somewhere?

A lot of "I think I scanned that guy....maybe I should be safe" *scan* already discovered. SHIT.

• Options
    Got the survivor achievement! Then found this crystal formation in space, finally.
    CrvTdTFXYAA3hSx.jpg

Neat!

• Options
    Got a planet where I immediately found a trade outpost, it has Gravitino Balls on the surface, a giant cave network nearby with a ton of Albumen Pearls and for the first time is a perfect 19C instead of a bazillionC like these planets usually are.