As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    When you consider inflation, wasn't the NES originally around $400 and the SNES around $330?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcyslT8U0Pw

Google says $100 then is $208 now.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    That video says "1988" right in the title, which is 3 years after the NES debuted in the US. Wikipedia says the launch bundle's price was $299. That's like $671 today.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Which is why everybody I knew had a used NES. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The Deluxe System was $249 and launched with a metric ton of accessories and games. 2 controllers, light gun, ROB, duck hunt, and gyromite. All that inflated would be like a bazillion dollars. The Control Deck was included an extra controller and Super Mario Bros.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    As someone who was buying SNES and games at launch, I always feel that the inflated costs over time feels strange. My SNES with Super Mario World cost 130 Irish pounds in 1992, about 240 euro now.

I mean, the Wii launched for about 260 euro, which barely hits 270 in today's money, relatively more expensive than my SNES.

That seems OK, but saying a NES costs 500 bucks in today's money seems way off. Something is up there. It reminds me of Australians who complain Nintendo screws them in price but when exchange rates are taken into account, they pay pretty much what I do.

I had written more, but Wikipedia shows a NES with Super Mario Bros at launch for 100 US dollars so that says it all. I wish I'd done the research before I'd typed all that on a goddamn smartphone.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Basically, either every console generation before the current one and maybe the previous one was a massive ripoff, or the entire industry is engaged in a slow suicide pact.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The consumer technology industry is really weird. Inflation goes up, just like with everything else, but the actual value of the components goes down a lot faster than other products. The two sort of end up balancing each other out, so as other products seem to get more and more expensive all the time, the price of the latest tech ends up being remaining pretty constant.

It won't be long before an apple costs as much as Apple. :P

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    After a bit of time with it, I'm completely fine with the card inventory system in Color Splash. There's actually a couple of subtle features to help reorganise that people probably aren't taking advantage of. Finding cards is actually a little mini-game in itself since shy guys will steal cards if you're too slow.

I' also really enjoying the variety in level design. I just finished the haunted hotel, and even though I'm not yet halfway through the game, there's already been lots of funny and interesting scenarios.

The only thing that has really annoyed me was the insta-death scenarios (i.e. "Princess").

In general, this is rocketing up there to be amongst my favourite Wii U games. (... and to think I originally wrote it off as a rushed filler game to get through to the NX)

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    All I want is a Nintendo system I can plug into my TV that has an accessible controller. I miss Nintendo. I miss colorful, fun, happy games. I miss stomping on goombas. I want something I can play with my niece and nephew down the line, that will invoke the same kind of warm, happy memories in them that I have of my childhood.

I mean, shit, most of what I watch on Twitch are retro games, or things like the new Paper Mario (which looks brilliant, BTW). I'm tired of headshots, and dreary drab super cereal slogs (totes cereal), and all the rest of modern gaming.

Yeah, I'll play the new Dishonored when it comes out, and things like that, but I'm looking forward to something completely different. I remember playing hours of Pro Wrestling, Blades of Steel, and the various Marios when I was a kid. I remember the Christmas I got my SNES, and the handful of games I played over and over and over again (Hyperzone gets no love, and that's a legit shame). I want that again, those feelings. It's partly why I'm hoping they'll make a mini SNES box like the NES box that's supposed to be coming out this year, but it's also why I have all my fingers and toes crossed for the NX. I want to love Nintendo again, without waggle and touch (at least, without touch for anything but menus), etc. Just a pure gaming experience that's bright and happy and free.

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Actually, we here in Aus still get absolutely reamed on Tech costs and we were paying literally double when our dollar was at parity with the US dollar a few years ago.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    After months of waiting, Nintendo finally comes out this week and announces the NX...

...and is immediately ignored when Rockstar announces the Red Dead sequel shortly after.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I guess that would be good incentive for Nintendo to do what they can to get Rockstar on board.....

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I guess that would be good incentive for Nintendo to do what they can to get Rockstar on board.....

Red Dead Redemption: Chinatown Wars!!!

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh god, could you imagine the internet salt if Nintendo Bayo'd the next Red Dead and it was NX exclusive?

It would be delicious.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh god, could you imagine the internet salt if Nintendo Bayo'd the next Red Dead and it was NX exclusive?

It would be delicious.

The general response to Bayo 2 was "That sucks. I've waited years for this game, and sacrificed more than one goat, and swore I would pay as much as $500 for it, but if it's on a Nintendo system then I guess I'll never play it."

I'm hoping Nintendo are funding BG&E2, just to see if the reaction is the same.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I hope they money hat 4-5 long-dead/dormant franchises to exclusive NX status just to see if they can set a record for most blood vessels ruptured at a time. I think this will do:
    • BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

It would be delicious.

NX: It makes salt!

That would be the new meme animated gif.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I hope they money hat 4-5 long-dead/dormant franchises to exclusive NX status just to see if they can set a record for most blood vessels ruptured at a time. I think this will do:
    • BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

Bonus points if they can keep Dyack away from Eternal Darkness 2.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    • BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

Bonus points if they can keep Dyack away from Eternal Darkness 2.

Given that the dude has rendered himself unemployable by fucking around with other people's money, I doubt that will be a problem.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

It would be delicious.

This seems to imply an alternate universe version of Nintendo, one that cares about moneyhatting for western game support and actually pays attention to what's popular on competing platforms.

post.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I don't know if Nintendo could spend that much money

Now a timed exclusive, on the other hand...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Nintendo moneyhatted three games for Wii U, Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I'm not counting Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third because those were already mostly developed before Nintendo stepped in and offered to help finish them off in exchange for exclusivity.

So three games, all from Japanese developers, one of which is about a sentai hero team that takes place in Japan, another of which is a Musou game, and another of which is a JRPG about J-pop idols that takes place in Japan and never got an English dub.

I think it's safe to conclude that Nintendo was not aggressively competing for the western market. They seem to be determined to remain relevant in their home nation, even if it means tanking the rest of their business. I often question if it's an actual strategy or just an extremely misguided sense of nationalism.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Splatoon I'd say was a game trying to appeal to western gamers since we prefer FPS games a lot more than Japan. I kind of want to say Code Name STEAM was also just from setting and style but that might just be more of Japan and their love of using historical figures in funny ways.

edit: Nevermind, we were talking money-hatted games here

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Splatoon is the kind of cool I didn't think Nintendo was capable of, and a direction I was hoping they were going to continue exploring. Unfortunately, we only got this taste right before the year of silence happened, where we're left to guess what Nintendo's next direction is with the NX.

Although both Zelda and Pokemon seem fresh and cool, so that's definitely a good sign for the future.

post.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Splatoon is the kind of cool I didn't think Nintendo was capable of, and a direction I was hoping they were going to continue exploring. Unfortunately, we only got this taste right before the year of silence happened, where we're left to guess what Nintendo's next direction is with the NX.

Although both Zelda and Pokemon seem fresh and cool, so that's definitely a good sign for the future.

It's amazing how organically it managed to handle all of the memetics. I'd say that it could justify the existence of Miiverse entirely on its own.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    To be fair, the Smash Bros. Miiverse stage is also pretty cool when it isn't just plastering vulgarities all over your screen.

Like a lot of Nintendo ideas, Miiverse is a great idea that needed to be implemented just a bit more thoroughly to be really fucking great, and instead was just kind of...a thing???

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    All I know is that I'd love it if my home menu wasn't littered with comments I don't care about from people I don't know.

• Options
    DarmaniDarmani Registered User regular
    After months of waiting, Nintendo finally comes out this week and announces the NX...

...and is immediately ignored when Rockstar announces the Red Dead sequel shortly after.

Huh this happened? Where? When?

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Darmani wrote: »

Huh this happened? Where? When?

It's just a humorous 'could-happen' scenario. Rockstar posted an image that may or may not have anything to do with Red Dead earlier.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    • BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

Throw in exclusivity for new Mega Man and Konami titles for good measure.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    • BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

Sounds like a monkey's paw scenario.

"Metal Gear Survive 2: exclusive to NX!"

"Capcom and Inafune bury the hatchet to bring Mega Man to the NX, running on the Mighty No.9 engine!"

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Wasn't there already a Soul Reaver 2? I think there was. What was the one where you played as both Kain and Raziel? Defiance, I think? I'd like another one of those.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    • BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

The grand revival of Bomberman!

:(

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    • BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

The grand revival of Bomberman Act Zero!

BombermanActZero_USBOX_Mrated.jpg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Oops I'm a dummy fake twitter account.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    edit; people can lie on the internet!?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Bogus twitter account... sorry about that... it took me a minute to notice.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    That's a fake twitter account.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

• BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

But wait, there's more!

Jet Force Gemini 2
    Quest 2
    F-Zero NX

Basically just all the games from the N64 era. :razz:

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
This discussion has been closed.