Options

Deus Ex: HR spoiler-wary people stay out

BullioBullio Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
The old, spoilertastic thread if you want to look through it for some silly reason.

deus_ex.jpg

Wikipedia, go!
Deus Ex is a cyberpunk-themed action role-playing game developed by Ion Storm Inc. and published by Eidos Interactive in the year 2000, which combines gameplay elements of first-person shooters with those of role playing games.

Set in a dystopian world during the 2050s, the central plot follows rookie United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition agent JC Denton, as he sets out to combat terrorist forces, which have become increasingly prevalent in a world slipping ever further into chaos. As the plot unfolds, Denton becomes entangled in a deep and ancient conspiracy, encountering fictional recreations of organizations such as Majestic 12, the Illuminati, and the Hong Kong Triads throughout his journey.

A GOTY edition with multiplayer was released later, and is the version up on digital distros. A PS2 version (Deus Ex: The Conspiracy) was also released with prerendered movies for the intro and the endings, among other changes. See the spoiler.
DeusEx.jpg

But before you do, you may want to consider the following.

Shifter mod does a bunch of tweaking to the game to make it better, and reinstates some lost/cut content.

The High Definition Texture Project aims to update DX's textures to look more modern. The version here is not finished, but what's in it looks good. Many people bitch about the game looking ugly, but these people suck. Also, this can be annoying to get working with the Steam version. See here for info/fixes.

Unreal engine D3D10 renderer adds D3D10 support for Unreal Engine games. You get fancier shadows and a bunch of other stuff that I know little about.

New Vision aims to replace all of the game's world textures with high res versions. Currently in beta, but again, what's there looks good.

This Ultra High Quality mod basically does the same as HDTP and the D3D10 renderer (I think), but looks like it's tweaked somewhat. Don't know much about it since I only found it while looking for vids for this OP.

If the game runs too fast for you, look here. Those with widescreen monitors see there, or here.

BioMod changes mod behavior, auto item switching (lockpicks for doors needing them, etc), regen is more Halo-ish, among other things. [strike]Currently in beta[/strike] No longer in beta? Thanks to our very own Lork for cooking this up!

There are also custom campaign mods, though I have no experience with them. Probably the most well known is The Nameless Mod, which is rather spiffy (or so I've been told).

Misc, very important, stuff. And a very helpful walkthrough.

logo.jpg

This is the sequel. It is not as good as the first one. These are objective statements.

Wikipedia, again.
Invisible War takes place twenty years after Deus Ex, in a world being rebuilt after a catastrophic event called The Collapse. Following a terrorist attack that destroys the city of Chicago, the player assumes the role of Alex D, a trainee at the fictional Tarsus Academy, whose support is sought by several organizations. As the game progresses, the player learns of conspiratorial factions which seek to drastically change the world.

It was launched on PC and Xbox simultaneously. It's more action/FPS oriented than the first game, no doubt due in part to being designed for a console.

To get widescreen enabled, check here.

There are a few interesting utilities here, including a settings tweaker and a surround sound fix.

Also, a unified texture pack that collects a few different custom high-res texture packs can be found here.

DX3_Logo21.png

More info has come out since E3, but not a lot new regarding the plot. Most of what we know about the plot has been derived from the various trailers that have been released (see below). The game is sounding very promising so far (promising meaning much more reminiscent of DX than IW). Again with the Wiki.
The game takes place during the year 2027, 25 years before Deus Ex. Nanotechnological augmentations have yet to be developed and biomechanical augmentations are the current state of the art. The main character, Adam Jensen, is a private security officer with a company that specializes in these augmentations. He witnesses a chilling attack on his company, and "the conspiracy begins."

The events in the game will lead to the formation of UNATCO from the original game.

There's a whole bunch of art and info in the form of an FAQ over here.

Eurogamer (among other sites) has a batch of screens, some of which are from in game (but most likely all gussied up).

Trailers in spoiler. Yes, those are PS3 and 360 logos at the end of the E3 trailer. Special edition and pre-order details.
deus.jpg

The special edition (dubbed the Augmented Edition) will be $10 more and include the stuff pictured above. Overall a very standard special edition. Europe, NZ, and Australia also get a "very special (ie more expensive) Collector's Edition" that includes everything in the limited edition plus an Adam Jensen figure (most likely the fancy NECA one).

The game is available for pre-order at various locales, and is continuing the trend of exclusive seller content. GameStop gets a special bonus mission featuring a DX character. If you don't want to know who it is, don't click the spoiler below (or the link above). Europe limited edition pre-orders include all of the retailer pre-order bonuses in one tidy package.
tracertong.jpg
Other places get weapon packs.

PC people may feel free to pre-order wherever they want as the PC version is using Steamworks.
A prequel novel titled Deus Ex: Icarus Effect written by James Swallow (one of the game's writers) is out now. It actually sounds like an above average game-related novel.

Get on a path to a better you with Sarif Industries today!

The PC port is shaping up to actually be good and not a lazy copy/paste of the console version. Some of the PC-specific features include it's own HUD, save options (quick, normal, and I guess checkpoints as well?), Steamworks, DX11, AMD Eyefinity, full mouse support (like scrolling through menus and in-game reading material), various graphics options, and remappable controls. PC specs in the spoiler.
Minimum PC Specs:
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 with DirectX 9.0c
Processor: 2 GHz dual core
RAM: 1 GB RAM (Windows XP) / 2 GB (Windows Vista and Windows 7)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8000 series or ATI Radeon HD 2000 series or better
Required Disc Space: 8.5 GB

Recommended PC Specs:
Operating System: Windows 7
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 or Intel Core 2 Quad or better
RAM: 2 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5850
Required Disc Space: 8.5 GB

steam_sig.png
Bullio on

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For some reason I love the music in the E3 trailer. I'm glad I picked up the Deus Ex Steam deal. I'm enjoying them a lot (yes, even IW).

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I finished another run of DX the other day, and I noticed something in the credits...

KDhJy.png

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    For some reason I love the music in the E3 trailer. I'm glad I picked up the Deus Ex Steam deal. I'm enjoying them a lot (yes, even IW).

They put out that track for free download

It is pretty darn good

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

It is pretty darn good

Awesome! I'm definitely going to use it for my next Shadowrun campaign. :lol:

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

It is pretty darn good

I listened to it soemthing like twenty times in a row.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Got a link for the download? Can't seem to find it.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shadowen on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »

It is pretty darn good

I listened to it soemthing like twenty times in a row.

Same.

Playing through Deus Ex again. I'm underwater right now. Always enjoyed this place. Nice music. Then again, I say that about all of Deus Ex except Vandenberg.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So my official stance on human revolution is cautiously optimistic. How about you guys?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So my official stance on human revolution is cautiously optimistic. How about you guys?

Pumped as hell.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm reasonably excited!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looking forward to it. Still cautiously optimistic, but recently that caution is slipping and tilting towards full-blown optimism. I know I have to throttle that back, but I am definitely feeling that there is a statistically significant chance of this kicking a lot of ass.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm pumped as fuck for Deus Ex 3, with Square Enix behind the game, the developers have been given a bigger budget and enough time to make it decent. From what I saw of the behind the scenes footage, it looked excellent.

Also Holy shit at that DX10 renderer, gonna try that when I get home.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Pumped as hell.
    That may come back to bite me in the ass. Don't care. Stoked.

Monger on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I suppose now is as good a time as any to finally get those New York City pictures off my phone and show some comparison shots of some Deus Ex places and the real-world counterparts.

Only had them around for six months or so.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    So I finished another run of DX the other day, and I noticed something in the credits...

KDhJy.png

woahhhhhhh

donhonk on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I suppose now is as good a time as any to finally get those New York City pictures off my phone and show some comparison shots of some Deus Ex places and the real-world counterparts.

Only had them around for six months or so.

Awesome.

I recall the dev team used street maps and digital satellite imaging for all the areas, so it would be awesome to see the areas for real.

Also Holy shit @ gabe Newell testing.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll try to put these in a semi-logical order, but I also may not care enough to try too hard. All the real-world photos were taken on a Blackberry so prepare to be completely un-amazed by their quality.

And this should all be okay for uploading here (it's through Photobucket anyway), but 56k beware, these are still fairly large.

Anyway, the dock:
    dedock02.jpg

rldock02.jpg
    Statue entrance:
    destatueentrance01.jpg
    destatueentrance02.jpg

rlstatueentrance01.jpg
    rlstatueentrance02.jpg
    rlstatueentrance0102.jpg
    Statue lobby area:
    destatuelobby03.jpg
    destatuelobby01.jpg
    destatuelobby02.jpg

rlstatuelobby03.jpg
    rlstatuelobby01.jpg
    rlstatuelobby02.jpg
    Outside statue:
    destatuebase05.jpg
    destatuebase04.jpg
    destatuebase02.jpg
    destatuebase01.jpg

rlstatuebase05.jpg
    rlstatuebase04.jpg
    rlstatuebase02.jpg
    rlstatuebase01.jpg
    Castle Clinton
    declintonoutside02.jpg
    declintonoutside01.jpg

rlclintonoutside01.jpg
    rlclintonoutside02.jpg
    Some random extra shots, mostly for scale:
    The stairs outside the statue base:
    statuebaseEXTRA.jpg

Entrance to Castle Clinton:
    rlclintonentrance01EXTRA.jpg

Actually inside Castle Clinton:
    rlclintoninside01EXTRA.jpg
    Also, the Pigeon Which Will End the World:
    rldeathbird01EXTRA.jpg
    Yes, it's obviously not a pigeon. It's a turkey, for those who've never seen one outside of being tasty on a platter.
    The real-world counterparts are actually much, much smaller than the game version, but otherwise the devs did a really great job of recreating everything. I particularly like the fact that the statue lobby actually does have a convenient hiding spot directly beside the lobby stairs. Also, the bizarrely creepy appearance of the uber-camera over the statue entrance is awesome, though I'm fairly certain it was added after the game was made. And there is even a desk in the expected spot, though no laser grid and holding area behind it. I know. I checked.

I suppose stuff like this is why the level design in Deus Ex feels so great. Rather than designing levels for a game, they basically made areas like the real world and then put a story and game inside them. It was extremely weird to be walking around these places and know their general layout despite never having actually visited them before. It was like a Deus Ex theme park except with more rain.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    donhonk wrote: »

KDhJy.png

woahhhhhhh
    His visit actually had a pretty sizable (heh) effect on the development of the game. Warren Spector wrote about it in a Deus Ex postmortem he did for Gamasutra. Which I might add, is an excellent article that is well worth reading if you're at all interested in game design, or Deus Ex.

By the way, I just released a new version of BioMod with some significant changes to the skill system and a new kind of grenade. And that concludes our regularly scheduled plug.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's awesome. I remember seeing a Castle Clinton comparison shot a while back somewhere but the rest are great too.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Monger wrote: »

Pumped as hell.

"simplifying the game for the mass consumer" is what we need to hope never happens. No mass effect 2ing this game please.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Oh thank you so much, OP. I was excited to play this game, only for my character to sound like a human cockroach scurrying quickly whenever I walked. Now I see what the problem is and can download the solution. Awesome.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Should I install the shifter mod or stay away from any gameplay mods for a first playthough?

Tertiee on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's awesome. I remember seeing a Castle Clinton comparison shot a while back somewhere but the rest are great too.

Does the real castle clinton have docks hidden behind a candy machine nearby?:P

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What, no UNATCO HQ pictures?

Dartboy on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Should I install the shifter mod or stay away from any gameplay mods for a first playthough?

I recommend not installing it for your first run through. You'll appreciate the changes made by the mod more after having played through the game vanilla first and will have more reason to replay it. The only mods I would recommend on a first run are the graphical overhauls and the D3D10 renderer. The dated graphics don't bother me (I actually like the look of the game a lot), but for some people they're a big turn off.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Awesome pics Ninja Snarl, If I walked on that dock all that would be going through my head is "Sonnovabitch Paul better give me a GEP gun"

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »

Pumped as hell.

"simplifying the game for the mass consumer" is what we need to hope never happens. No mass effect 2ing this game please.
    Let's be fair, here. The first Mass Effect game was mechanically horeseshit broken. The second game was a very good move for that series. Bioware just happened to have forgotten to put the other half of the skill tree into it. And the other half of the equipment. And to playtest the difficulties above normal. And to correctly price the DLC.

At any rate, this is not that and this looks shit hot.

Shit.

Hot.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lork wrote: »

KDhJy.png

woahhhhhhh
    His visit actually had a pretty sizable (heh) effect on the development of the game. Warren Spector wrote about it in a Deus Ex postmortem he did for Gamasutra. Which I might add, is an excellent article that is well worth reading if you're at all interested in game design, or Deus Ex.

By the way, I just released a new version of BioMod with some significant changes to the skill system and a new kind of grenade. And that concludes our regularly scheduled plug.

Awww man right as I get to Area 51 I get a reason to replay it again. Those changes look really good, and that's on top of how awesome BioMod is. Once I finish the game I'll give you some feedback, because this mod is soooo good that you need to hear about it more often :mrgreen:

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lork wrote: »

KDhJy.png

woahhhhhhh

Awww man right as I get to Area 51 I get a reason to replay it again. Those changes look really good, and that's on top of how awesome BioMod is. Once I finish the game I'll give you some feedback, because this mod is soooo good that you need to hear about it more often :mrgreen:

Yeah BioMod is awesome. Not only are the passive aug's a welcome reduction in tedium, but the mantling system is inspired.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm reading the biomod readme, and absolutely everything sounds incredible.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tell us about the new Athleticism skill. We don't start out slower than in vanilla do we? Was it a pain to implement?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As far as the Mass Effect stuff goes, Mass Effect skills really only affect how you fight your battles. You had a single conversation-related skill, but otherwise everything was about how you were going to fight when the guns came out. This goes for both ME1 and ME2. For DE, the skills (augs included) affected the entire way you approached the world. One combination could let you avoid nearly all combat while another slightly different one could make you perfect for wiping out everyone, quietly or not. For ME1/ME2, the skills are almost exclusively about making you better in combat rather than letting you choose how to approach a level. You could tailor how you wanted to fight, but you're always going to have to fight.

And ironically, ME2's abbreviated skill system more closely resembles DE1's skills than ME1's does. Lots of ME1's skills should've just been part of leveling up and the fifty million increments required to get anywhere was an awful system. DE1 has only a handful of levels for everything, but each level is dramatically improved over the last. I much prefer that approach to upgrading skills than pouring points into a skill and barely being able to notice a difference.

As long as DE3 has skills and abilities which change the way you actually play the game rather than just the way you fight inevitable fights, I'd much rather the skill system being oriented around fewer dramatic improvements than dozens of slightly perceptible ones.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lork, I could kiss you.

In fact, I will. Later.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dangit, stop making BioMod sound so cool, I don't have access to my gaming PC pretty much all this week.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Abandoned my other playthrough just to try BioMod/Shifter out. So far it's awesome, but the second guard I knocked out dropped an aug upgrade canister. I mean I'm not complaining, but is that normal?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

KDhJy.png

Best version of Deus Ex 3 to be the PS3 version, CONFIRMED.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Abandoned my other playthrough just to try BioMod/Shifter out. So far it's awesome, but the second guard I knocked out dropped an aug upgrade canister. I mean I'm not complaining, but is that normal?

I believe you got extremely lucky.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Vegan wrote: »

KDhJy.png

Best CONSOLE version of Deus Ex 3 to be the PS3 version, CONFIRMED.

Everyone always misquotes him

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Awesome pics Ninja Snarl, If I walked on that dock all that would be going through my head is "Sonnovabitch Paul better give me a GEP gun"

The only way the sense of deja vu could've been stronger was if I'd been able to see the place at night. Completely bizarre experience to have due to playing a video game.

Ninja Snarl P on