As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[3D Dot Game Heroes] Dash Circuits are the new Chocobo Race

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Man it's not my fault that there are maybe three exclusives (counting this) worth playing on the PS3 and that it was more expensive than a night of hookers and blackjack until like last week.

Wow, wow, wow you're wrong

Demon's Souls, VC, 3D Game Dot Heroes, KZ2, Uncharted 1 and 2, LBP, Ratchet and Clank games, Resistance if that's your bag (it's not mine)

that's just off the top of my head too

Rent on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So it's pretty much all confirmed on the PSBlog. Even the $40 price tag. Jesus, Atlus. Well played.

Also, I managed to miss the whole custom character creation aspect which is really neat. No surprise that an online sharing element won't be integrated into the game itself, considering it'll just basically be "Make NES sprites" mode, but knowing that you'll still be able to Create and Share easily is really very nice.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I read about the US release this morning and was very happy. For some reason I thought this was going to be a PSN game, but I'm not sure why.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Man it's not my fault that there are maybe three exclusives (counting this) worth playing on the PS3 and that it was more expensive than a night of hookers and blackjack until like last week.

Wow, wow, wow you're wrong

Demon's Souls, VC, 3D Game Dot Heroes, KZ2, Uncharted 1 and 2, LBP, Ratchet and Clank games, Resistance if that's your bag (it's not mine)

that's just off the top of my head too

And unless you're a fucking jackass*, LBP counts for like five games.
    *someone that has tastes unlike my own

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    *Puts another notch on his list of Things I Need a PS3 For*

Sheep on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Any console have exclusivity on this?

Pretty sure this one is exclusive to PS3 only. Unlikely that's going to change if it sees European/North American translation.

God Fucking Damnit

Why would FROM do that? It's pretty unthinkable that Sony's paying them to make it exclusive and it's not like the 360 is difficult to program for.

As a PS3 owner, I'm glad to be getting a great looking exclusive.

This is a Japanese game being made by a Japanese company for (primely) a Japanese audience. The PS3 is pretty far ahead of the 360 in sales there so they want to sell a lot of copies without increasing the cost hence why it is not on the 360. Remember the US is always an afterthought for a game like this.

Hey, you. Guy who tried to destroy my dreams.
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Atlus just announced they're bring it stateside. May 11th, 2010.

SUCK. IT. Also, all hail Atlus, our new lords and masters.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow all those loading screens rule.

The Final Fantasy ones are great too. I love how the chocobo becomes a straight up chicken.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So what is this? NES Zelda with a unique graphical approach on the modern day systems? I fail to see what makes this so incredible. I hate to be the party pooper, but please fill me in on this. (<3 Atlus. I love me some Demon's Souls.)

Shens on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There was a time when I was worried that the PS3 wasn't going to see the quirky titles I loved the PS2 for. That time has passed. Now all I have to do is convince the guys downstairs to order copious quantities of copies of this - including the special edition, if there is one.

If there's a re-enactment of the Demon's Souls fiasco where they didn't order a single copy for launch then I'm going to choke a bitch.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man fuck that Ginormo Sword game.. I just spent half an hour playing it.. Waste of awesome time..

remlap13 on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I lost an hour to it last night. Couldn't figure out how to make the sword upgrader on the third map work. I could upgrade the weapon level but the sword didn't seem to increase in size at all when I used the other buttons.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I lost an hour to it last night. Couldn't figure out how to make the sword upgrader on the third map work. I could upgrade the weapon level but the sword didn't seem to increase in size at all when I used the other buttons.

Ya I was having the same difficulties.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »
    Man fuck that Ginormo Sword game.. I just spent half an hour playing it.. Waste of awesome time..

From the trailers, this is Ginormo Sword, but improved in so many ways.

Cannot wait.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »

From the trailers, this is Ginormo Sword, but improved in so many ways.

Cannot wait.

It's Zelda, but written by people who grew up playing Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, and other classics. Oh, and not-Link wields a Ginormo Sword.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    At $60 I would have been reluctant to jump on this. At $40? Count me in, right now.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone else notice how great the ps3's depth of field effects are at making things look miniature? I'd love to see a remake of the NES micromachines game on it sometime.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    At $60 I would have been reluctant to jump on this. At $40? Count me in, right now.

Atlus is just a company full of win

Now localise P3P. Now! I demand it! :P

WHY IS IT NOT HERE YET

Rent on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey Bursar, just wanna let you know I love you and all your mans that are with you. Thank you.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Because Growlanser is a massive project, of course, and it is a far, far more important endeavor than P3P.

(I can dream; you can't take that away Bursar!)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey Bursar, just wanna let you know I love you and all your mans that are with you. Thank you.

Really all that needs to be said.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I'll let 'em know. Usually we only hear from the crazies.
    Still, 3dDH is a game of few words but lots to do, and oh how it does them.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love Atlus so much

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bursar wrote: »

3dDH is a game of plenty of words. I'd say you spend about third of the game on the main quest, a third of the game on extras like Block Defense and the monster book, and you spend the final third running around like a chicken with it's head cut off just talking to people to finish sidequests.

Oh yeah, and the 5th dungeon is freaking brutal :(

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Updated the thread title to show game's NA release date.

Also: Tuna Sword!?

Tuna Sword!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Now I've seen everything.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wanted this game before, but Tuna Sword has made me need it.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Unfortunately, the fresh fish sword is small and weak.

If you guys have any questions about 3D Dot Heroes, I think I'm at around 80% finished with the game. I'm going to sleep so I won't be able to answer your questions until tomorrow.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »

3dDH is a game of plenty of words. I'd say you spend about third of the game on the main quest, a third of the game on extras like Block Defense and the monster book, and you spend the final third running around like a chicken with it's head cut off just talking to people to finish sidequests.

Oh yeah, and the 5th dungeon is freaking brutal :(

I meant that in a "Talk softly and carry a gigantic sword o' DOOOOM" way.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think the last game that let me wield tuna as a weapon was Dark Cloud.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

If you guys have any questions about 3D Dot Heroes, I think I'm at around 80% finished with the game. I'm going to sleep so I won't be able to answer your questions until tomorrow.

How many hours would you say you've spent on the game so far? And how many extra hours would you be looking at roughly to complete any side quests?

I'm not saying the game isn't going to be great value at $40US, but I'm curious how much value is going into that awesome price. We all paid $60 for Legend of Zelda: LTTP on SNES probably, and that was a game with great value, length and speed runs clock in around 2 hours or less. I'm curious to know about the overall length of the standard game, and then whatever additional side-stuff there is to complete.

Feel free to put all of that behind a spoiler when you get a chance, if you like.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    I think the last game that let me wield tuna as a weapon was Dark Cloud.

For me it was Phantom Brave.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This looks fantastic, but I wish that the water looked more like a fun house style ball-pit of pixels rather than liquid :p
    ::this is a blue dot joke::

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

How many hours would you say you've spent on the game so far? And how many extra hours would you be looking at roughly to complete any side quests?

I'm not saying the game isn't going to be great value at $40US, but I'm curious how much value is going into that awesome price. We all paid $60 for Legend of Zelda: LTTP on SNES probably, and that was a game with great value, length and speed runs clock in around 2 hours or less. I'm curious to know about the overall length of the standard game, and then whatever additional side-stuff there is to complete.

Feel free to put all of that behind a spoiler when you get a chance, if you like.

I've spent 14 hours, 48 minutes and 12 seconds so far. Probably around 4-5 hours of that time was spent just dicking around the world, exploring areas and searching for secrets. The last dungeon I completed was really hard though, and there are still two left, so I expect my clear time to go well over 20 hours.

There are three minigames: A tower defense game, a "dash" racing game and a breakout clone. Completing each of these games nets you a weapon (though, I haven't beaten any of them yet). There are a ton of sidequests, including timed ones, if you just walk around the towns talking to people after you beat a dungeon. Even though I'm late in the game, there are still places on the map I haven't found a way to get to yet.

Overall, I'd imagine that if you make an effort to do most of the sidequests, the game is probably a little over the 30 hour mark.

Also, the character editor rocks. I've been playing for the last few days as Torneko :)

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Please tell me the character editor includes weapon/weapon skins and that you've been beating the crap out of enemies with a giant sack of loot. :D

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Please tell me the character editor includes weapon/weapon skins and that you've been beating the crap out of enemies with a giant sack of loot. :D

No such luck. After all, how would that work when your sword gets all huge?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Makes me think of 30-Second Hero (WHY HAVEN'T YOU PLAYED THAT?)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I would if I had a PSP.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, the character editor rocks. I've been playing for the last few days as Torneko :)

Oh. Oh my.

That sounds ... so sweet.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Game finished at 20:45 mins, fast than I thought I would complete the thing.

Ok, so basically I feel that the game is good, but it has a few flaws. First of all, the most glaring thing wrong with the games is the loading. It seems like every minute or so the action is broken up for a loading screen. Sometimes you'll only move a couple of inches on the screen and BOOM, another loading screen. It is seriously annoying, and in the least the game could have given you an option to install it to the HDD.

Second of all, the game has very little sense of direction. To those of us whom are looking for a modern day version of LoZ, it's not a problem at all. Those did not experience Zelda in the late 80s are probably not going to be so happy with the emphasis on exploration in the game. Your next destination is flashing on the world map, like in LttP, but other than that the game basicaly encourages you to run around and do your own thing. Most of the nicer secrets I found involved me going off the beating path. There are still a few things I've discovered that I have no idea what they're supposed to do.

The game also has some pretty nasty slowdown issues in areas where there are a lot of special effects going on. It's actually not a big deal during boss fights, but in the fire dungeon it feels as if the PS3 is really straining to get all the fire effects.

Another problem is with the gigantic sword. The game is basically balanced around the smaller version of the sword. When the sword is big it's simply too powerful, and because of this it's pretty easy to hold on to it in jumbo form (at least in the overworld). This actually isn't a huge complaint, since in the dungeons I find it's hard to go long without getting hit, but still... I think the game could have done without it. Another problem with the weapons is that the mini-block king weapons kind of suck. Which is kind of understandable, yet kind of stupid. In the least I think they could have balanced the swords better so that at least when you temper it, it has effect on more than just the gigantic version of it.

Now overall I do feel the game was fun to play, but I would only recommend it to someone who is already sold on the basic concept. If you don't have nostalgia for the 8-bit era, this is probably not the game for you. The quest is long, and you can play it a second time in Hard mode and Sperlunker if you're up for the challenge. There are plenty of minigames, quests, parodies and exploration to keep you occupied. The game can feel very vanilla, with a generic overworld and not-so-interesting dungeon design. I felt very underwhelmed with the ending sequence to the game.

tl;dr

PROS:
    Nostalgic Zelda feel
    Stylistic graphics
    Great soundtrack
    Good bang for the buck
    Emphasis on exploration
    Entertaining dialog

CONS:
    NOW LOADING
    Sword mechanics don't quite work
    Game difficulty is erratic
    Feels generic at times
    Almost no originality.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There's a lovely theme for this game up on the Japan PSN, if anybody's interested. It's not dynamic, but it's nice looking all the same, and it's free. I couldn't tell you how to get to it, since I mostly just stumble around until I find what I'm looking for or give up, but it's there! Somewhere.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!