As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chaos] Chaos in the Old World - Game 2 - Slaanesh Victory

DarianDarian Yellow WizardThe PitRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Critical Failures
pic490400.jpg

GAME RECAP
CitOW-g2-animated.gif

Welcome to Chaos in the Old World, Fantasy Flight Games' boardgame take at Games Workshop's famous fantasy IP. In this game, players take the role of one of the four Ruinous Powers of the universe. Speaking of which, I believe this calls for some introductions.

Celebrim, as Khorne
Khorne loves long walks on the battlefield and nights alone with the recently deceased. He enjoys handywork, and has even so constructed a throne for himself from nothing but the skulls of the living. He's always on the lookout for new blood - in the most literal sense possible - earning him the title of "The Blood God." If Khorne were a flavor of ice cream, he would be Berserk Banana.

Kias, as Nurgle
The other white meat! Or in this case, possibly white pus. Nurgle, now with 300% more pestilence! This is Great Unclean One with the new Nurgle Treatment, and you won't believe it! Have you ever been traveling around, and all of a sudden you wish you had brought your horrific ailments with you? But how are you going to fit it all in your bags? Well that's easy with the new Nurgle (or as we should say, the Old Nurgle)! Watch as it spreads the epidemic over the entire countryside as you pass. And if you order now, we'll throw in this free plaguebearer. Call now!

Mr Rose, as Tzeentch
asplannedrd3.jpg

Rius, as Slaanesh
"Working for Khorne? It's ok, I guess, but I worry about my future prospects. You know how I'm probably going to die? Not enough blood left in my neck. You know how those Slaanesh dudes over there are probably going to die? Too many orgasms.
You can see my consternation." - Khorne Thrall

As the Prince of Pain and Pleasure, some might say that Slaanesh 'goes both ways.' His followers don't quite have a 'lust for battle,' but enjoy the 'corruption' of the aristocracy. He finds subtle usurping 'invigorating,' and sometimes even so much that he just has to release his 'keeper of secrets.'

----

This will be a Play-By-Post game of Chaos in the Old World. It will give priority to those who have not yet played the game, but if you have played, please feel free to sign up. I may purposefully include a veteran in the game to keep it moving more smoothly, for instance.

Please, sign up, announce interest, and declare which Ruinous Power you'd prefer to play.

[RULES]
[FAQ]

OP stolen shamelessly from Rend; board graphics courtesy of MrBlarney

Darian on

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    From Rend: A QUICK TUTORIAL ON CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD

-The Turn Phases-

The Old World Phase
    This phase is much like the crisis phase in BSG, the infection phase in Pandemic, or the "Bad Stuff" phase in any cooperative board game. Except this game isn't so much "cooperative" as it is "petty". Each turn, events will take place in the old world, and this is when they happen.

Every turn one old world card will be drawn, and its effects will be resolved. If there are any choices to be made, the power with the least threat will make those choices. (Threat is determined by who has advanced their victory dial the farthest)

Note: There are only 7 cards in the Old World deck. If the cards have been exhausted, the game ends at the end of the turn. If nobody has achieved a victory condition, the Old World has won- and all players lose.

The Draw Phase
    During this phase, each power draws 2 cards, except Tzeentch. Tzeentch draws his hand up to 5. Also, this is when each player refreshes their Power Points to however many applicable.

The Summoning Phase
    This phase always starts with Khorne, and goes:
    Khorne
    Nurgle
    Tzeentch
    Slaanesh

Starting with Khorne, each player may either summon 1 figure or play 1 chaos card. In order to do so, you spend Power Points. The cost for figures is the circled value on your power's card. Then there are also attack and defend stats, which will be explained in further detail in The Battle Phase.

Chaos Cards each have a cost directly following their name in your Google Doc. Additionally, if the cost of your card is followed by M, that means there is a magic symbol on it. If you play that card onto a region, that region gains 1 magic symbol.

Chaos cards are played directly onto one of the nine regions. Each region only has room for 2 cards, but they are cleared at the end phase after all effects are resolved.

If a player chooses neither to summon nor play a card, he passes and his power points go to 0. He may not play again this phase.
    Additionally, if a player reaches 0 power points for ANY REASON, they may not play again this phase, EVEN IF THAT PLAYER HAS 0-cost cards or effects. Once you reach 0 power points, you are out of the turn phase, and are skipped until the next turn.

If you have no figures on the board, figures may be summoned to any region. If you have at least one figure on the board, you must summon to that region or an adjacent region. Figures may be summoned either from your reinforcements, OR from the board itself. There is no discount for summoning figures from the board, it simply allows you to move figures instead of summoning new ones if you wish. You may summon a figure from a region in order to place him in an adjacent region even if none of your other figures are adjacent to that region (ie, a single figure can "walk" across the entire map alone).

The Battle Phase
    In this phase, dice are rolled. All combat is considered simultaneous, however, hits are chosen in the Order of Play (Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh). Each figure with at least 1 attack power rolls a number of dice equal to that attack power. Any dice of 4 or better are hits. The player then designates those hits among any enemy figures in the region.

You may not allocate more hits than necessary to kill an opponent.
    You must allocate all hits.

Any figures which are killed will die at the end of the phase. However, unless the hits which killed it happened before normal dice are rolled, they may still return fire.

The Corruption Phase
    The Corruption Phase takes place in 2 steps. Domination, and Ruination

In the Domination step, each player's domination value is calculated for each region. This value is equal to the PP cost of any chaos cards that player has played on the region, plus the number of figures (number, not attack power) that player has in the region. If this number exceeds the region's resistance (which is the number by the region's name), and that player has the highest domination score, that player dominates the region and gains Victory Points equal to the region's number.
    If two players are tied for first, or if the top player is tied with the region's resistance, no VPs are awarded. Additionally, no VPs are awarded for ruined regions.

In the Ruination step, each cultist a player has in a region adds one Corruption Counter to that region. If a region should reach 12 or more corruption counters, it then becomes ruined.
    When a region becomes ruined, it indicates that the Chaos has taken it over so completely that it is no longer even recognizable. It is now a hellish, daemonic wasteland. First, one of the 5 ruination cards is flipped (the cards go in order, so the values are the same from game to game). Each player who put a corruption counter on the region THE TURN IT WAS RUINED gains a small amount of VPs instantaneously, decided by the card. Then, the player with the most and the second most Corruption in the area gain a large lump sum of VPs as well. After the region is ruined, NO VPs will EVER come of the region again.
    If two players are tied for first, they add the first and second place values together and split them. If two players are tied for second, they split second place. If there is no second place, and only one player has counters, the second place VPs are wasted.

If, at the end of the turn, all 5 Ruination cards have been flipped, the game ends and the player with the most VPs wins the game.

The End Phase
    During the end phase:
    1. Hero Tokens are resolved - meaning that in any region with a hero token, the daemon with the highest threat in that region must sacrifice one figure, as the hero kills it.
    2. Resolve Old World cards - If a card on the Old World track asks for a resolution during the end phase, this is when it happens.
    3. Score Ruined Regions - this is the step when ruination is scored, as opposed to the corruption phase.
    4. Advance Threat Dials - If you have fulfilled your victory dial condition at least once, you turn your dial one click. If you have fulfilled your condition more times this turn than any other player, you turn your dial two clicks. This dial gives various rewards, including Upgrades, VPs, and control of the tokens on the board.
    5. Check for Game end
    The game end conditions are checked one at a time, in this order:

Dial Victory
    Victory Point Victory
    All 5 ruination cards drawn (most VPs wins)
    No cards in the Old World deck (All players lose)

In the case of a dial victory tie, the player with most VPs wins. If they are tied, the victory is shared.
    In the case of a VP victory tie, the player with the highest threat wins.

How do I gain victory points?
    Gain victory points in 4 ways:
    1. Dominating regions at the end of the battle phase
    2. Helping to ruin regions by placing corruption counters on them
    3. Ruining regions and having most or second most counters on the region
    4. Sometimes, by advancing your victory dial

The most reliable points come from Domination, while the quickest points come from ruining regions.

How do I advance my dial?
    KHORNE: Gain 1 advancement token for each region in which you kill an opposing player's model this turn
    NURGLE: Gain 1 advancement token for each populous region in which you placed 2 corruption counters with cultists this turn
    TZEENTCH: Gain 1 advancement token for each region with 2 or more magic and/or warpstone tokens in which you placed 2 corruption counters with cultists this turn.
    SLAANESH: Gain 1 advancement token for each region with at least 1 hero or noble in which you placed 2 corruption counters with cultists this turn.

Every player with at least 1 token gains 1 click on the victory dial. Each turn the player who gained the most tokens this turn gains an additional click on the victory dial. In the case of a tie, neither player gets 2 clicks.

How do I...
    Questions answered.

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Useful information:

STANDARD REGION ORDER
    1. Norsca
    2. Troll Country
    3. Kislev
    4. The Empire
    5. Bretonnia
    6. Estalia
    7. Tilea
    8. The Border Princes
    9. The Badlands

PLAYER MATS:
    Khorne
    pic545594_md.jpg
    Nurgle
    pic545599_md.jpg
    Tzeentch
    pic545604_md.jpg
    Slaanesh
    pic545592_md.jpg
    Errata: Dial advancement for two corruption, not one.

DIAL ADVANCEMENT BONUSES:
    pic544561_lg.jpg
    Khorne: 9 clicks
    Nurgle: 10 clicks
    Tzeentch: 8 clicks
    Slaanesh: 7 clicks

AVAILABLE UPGRADES:
    Khorne Upgrades:
    Upgrades:
    Power of Blood - +1 PP per turn
    Deluge of Ferocity - Draw 3 cards instead of 2 each turn
    Bloodsworn - Stats: (1/1/1)
    Bloodletters - Bloodletters strike first and inflict casualties before opponents return fire
    Bloodthirster - Counts as 3 figures for domination value

Nurgle Upgrades:
    Power of Pestilence - +1 PP per turn
    Provender of Ruin - Score 3 VP each time a region is ruined
    Lepers - A Leper's cost is 0 if placed in a region where you have no other figures. A given leper may only be summoned for free once per round.
    Plaguebearers - When an opponent kills one of your plaguebearers in battle, inflict one hit on any figure in the same region belonging to that opponent
    Great Unclean One - Immediately place two corruption tokens in a region when you summon a Great Unclean One there

Tzeentch Upgrades:
    Power of Magic - +1 PP per turn
    Deluge of Magic - Draw to 6 cards per turn instead of 5
    Acolytes - When summoned from the board instead of your stockpile, an Acolyte may bring a Warpstone token if present from its origin to its destination
    Horrors - When you summon a horror, you may place it on an empty card slot in that region. Only you may play cards to that slot while the horror remains.
    Lord of Change - A Lord of Change has 2 magic symbols.

Slaanesh Upgrades:
    Power of Pain - +1 PP per turn. If you have power of pain and power of pleasure, total +3
    Power of Pleasure - +1 PP per turn. If you have power of pain and power of pleasure, total +3
    Seductress - New stats (1/0/2)
    Daemonettes - In battle, Daemonettes can only be hit on a die result of 6
    Keeper of Secrets - At the beginning of the battle phase, choose any cultist or warrior in this region. Control it until the end of the round or until your keeper of secrets is killed, whichever comes first.

HOW TO MAKE A BATTLE ROLL:
    Delmain wrote: »
    Hey guys, helpful IC tidbit here.
    Roll Xd6.hitsopen(4,6). It'll reroll 6s and then count all the dice 4 and above and give you a convenient number of hits.

Darian on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    !Signup. I'd love to try this out.

Blood for the Blood God!

Celebrim on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    !Sign up

I've been thinking about picking this game up, be great to have a shot at playing it beforehand.

Me, I love Grandfather Nurgle, and he loves me!

simonwolf on
    edited November 2009
    I'll be leaving sign ups open through my game night tomorrow, then contacting the chosen players on Saturday morning, EST.

Darian on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    !Sign UP

Tzeentch
    is here, in turn order, just as planned...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am signing up from my phone, I want in so hard. The unknowable mysteries of tzeentch are my preference, followed closely to rap everyone else through their pants for slaanesh.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Siggity-Sign

Tzeentch > BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD > Nurgle/Slaanesh

Delmain on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I've never played before, but I'd like to, especially since I saw some folks playing at my FLGS. I'm quick to pick up unfamiliar game concepts; should I read the instructions and then sign up?

I think I will >.>

Rius on
    edited November 2009
    You can also read through the first pbp game, still in progress. And heckle them. I hear the Khorne player over there didn't manage to get even one kill the first round.

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    I just read through the instructions and they're much less complicated than the look of the game itself made me think they were. I'm going to watch the Bears game right now, but I'll definitely sign up formally and pick a power later tonight =)

Rius on
    edited November 2009
    In general, you can win by gaining victory points (through dominating and ruining regions) or by getting dial advancements (different for each god; meeting your criteria at least once is one tick, and if anyone gets more tokens than all the others, they get a second tick that round).

Khorne is best at dial advancement (relatively easy to kill enemy figures)
    Nurgle is best at VP accumulation (cheap figures for dominating)
    Slaanesh and Tzeentch are more balanced and can win via either mode

Each god also has their own set of spells and upgrades available to help their cause.

The back of the rule book has some tips for each of the gods (and how to deal the other gods).

Darian on
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This should be fun! Sign me up if I can sneak in.

I actually introduced this game to my local game shop, so I am familiar with the rules, gameplay and such. However, given my work schedule, the folks I introduced the game to went out, picked up their own copies, and have since played a ton more games than I have fit in :P

I prefer Slaanesh (the only one I have played with, actually, none of my friends want to be the prince of pleasure), but I am game to take any god.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

edited November 2009
    Signing up!

I'd like to play Slaanesh but would be happy with any of the Old Gods, honestly.

Rius on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll sign up.

No preference on who to be, though. I'll take whatever.

I should probably note, though, that all images be hosted on image shack if I am to play. If this is too much a hassle, just let someone else play. I honestly don't mind at all.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If we get 4 people for the google wave version and I can play in that instead, I'll go ahead and withdraw from this one so someone else can play.

Delmain on
    edited November 2009
    Sign-ups are closed. I'll keep Delmain in the mix, since the Wave version isn't ready to go yet. I'm finishing up the player aids and my spreadsheet now, but should be able to announce the players sometime this afternoon.

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Sending PMs now to confirm participation.

edit: All PMs out; awaiting response. Once you accept, please introduce yourself in the thread in character, after which I will place the starting tokens and we can begin the game.

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Greetings my young siblings, I am grandfather Nurgle. My children will walk across this world, spreading pestilence, disease, and glorious rot to all corners of the old word. It will amuse me to watch you struggle against the inevitability of infection, and your corpses will become the foundation for evolved maladies that will assure my victory!

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

edited November 2009
    Humans are such curious creatures. Capable of withstanding nearly limitless pain and nearly unending pleasure... But they do have their limits. I find them, and surpass them, and it is glorious. What are your limits, pray tell?

Rius on
    edited November 2009
    Heh. Heh. Heh.
    Oh, don't mind me, I just looked up how you die; it wasn't funny enough, so I changed it for you.
    Now which version do you want to know? Maybe I'll even tell you...

Mr_Rose on
    edited November 2009
    While we wait for Khorne to check in, you may take a look at the starting layout of the Old World tokens.

CitOW_Game2Round0.jpg

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    From atop my throne of skulls, I witness that the world has once again become fat and weak. A culling is in order. Blood will flow. The strong will remain and my chant will fill the air...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Celebrim on
    edited November 2009
    And so it begins...

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Old World Phase:

Divine Inspiration
    Choose any Peasant token in play and replace it with a Hero token.
    Discard this card instead of adding it to the Old World track.

As lowest threat, Nurgle decides which Peasant will find a new calling. Once this decision is made, Khorne is active for the first summoning round.
    CitOW_g2r11.jpg

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Hmm, sorry for the delay, plague work and all. I believe the peasent int he empire is our new hero.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

edited November 2009
    Let us see if the Estalians can earn my favor.

Blood Frenzy - 0 - At the beginning of battle in this region, you roll two battle dice here and apply any resulting hits before regular battle dice are rolled

Targetting Estalia

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Celebrim on
    edited November 2009
    CitOW_g2r12.jpg

Round 1
    A new hero arises in the Empire after his family is killed by marauding orcs.

Khorne whips residents of Estalia into a Blood Frenzy
    Nurgle?

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Note: As we did in the previous game, please give your PP remaining at the end of each action, even when it does not change.

Banter is encouraged; keep your game action posts in FULL COLOR but feel free to heckle each other, make deals, etc. However, all communication with other players is to be kept in thread; no secret PMs except to the host.

7/7 PP remaining for Khorne.

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Kislev looks like a tempting target, especially for our little brother, or was it sister, depends on its mood I suppose.

My plague will claim the land before my sibling is able, I am sending one of my cultists to Kislev

5/6 PP left

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

edited November 2009
    Ah, little Bretonnia, so far behind the times...lets keep it that way, shall we?

Temporal Stasis in Bretonnia

5/6 PP remain.

Mr_Rose on
    edited November 2009
    When playing cards, please quote the full text; the other players only have their own cards listed on their player sheet. Also, in the interest of fairness, while discards are public when they are made, you are not permitted to make a list of discarded cards in an attempt to figure out exactly what an opponent has left, nor are you permitted to seek out a list of all the cards/effects in any opponent's deck.

(M) Temporal Stasis - 1 - The cost for your opponents to summon figures to this region, and play Chaos cards in this region, is increased by two.

Slaanesh to act

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    I've just gotten home and am a little too tired to play my first move, heh. I will tomorrow morning at 8:30am central or so and will be able to post pretty much all day =)

Rius on
    edited November 2009
    Clearly Slaanesh has been sniffing too much of his own incense... :P

Mr_Rose on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Khorne Dogs, get your Khorne Dogs.

Pamphlets. Pamphlets. Can't tell a Slaaneshi cultist from a Nuln school girl without your pamphlets...

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited November 2009
    Slaanesh's whispers spread in the minds of the petty aristocracy in Tilea, promising pleasure and power. The region quickly begins to fall under his dominion.

Insidious Lies - 1 - For each Noble token and each Hero token in this region, add two to your domination value here. Played to Tilea.

Slaanesh = 5/6 PP remaining.

Rius on
    edited November 2009
    So, who among us has or hasn't played before? This is my first game and while I am pretty sure I have a grasp of the mechanics and which god plays for which goals, I'm clueless about the power cards of other gods. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be too much of a disadvantage.

Rius on
    edited November 2009
    I have not played before, so I apologize in advance for not knowing what I'm doing.
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Celebrim on
    edited November 2009
    I have played a few games before, but never as Nurgle. I learned the other gods cards by being a victim to them.
    Celebrim wrote: »
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

This, right here, means you know exactly what your doing :P

They really did a nice job making the gods' character come through in play style, and really, as Khorne, your number one goal is to kill things. You can even make your cultists kill things, which no one else can do.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

edited November 2009
    Seems like we'll be on a decently even footing then =)

I'm reading through the other game again now that I understand each gods intentions.

Rius on