Options

Dead Space 2: We're stuck again on a station with necromorphs? Sucks to be them.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm about 20 minutes in.

This game
    is fucking
    awesome.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow I just read about Hard Core difficulty. That's an achievement for the big boys.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Wow I just read about Hard Core difficulty. That's an achievement for someone as mentally disturbed as Isaac Clarke.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My first play through will be on the highest unlocked difficulty, and my second on hard core.

Because I like to torture myself.

adytum on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    My first play through will be on the highest unlocked difficultly, and my second on hard core.

Because I like to torture myself.

:^: same here.

Not so much the torturing part, but I enjoy the tension, and the challenge. That and Dead Space gets better as it gets more difficult.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Impossible was the perfect difficulty in Dead Space, actually. So it's not really torture.

Torture is me choosing to play every CoD title only on Veteran.

adytum on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is Hard Core unlocked when you beat the game on Hard or on any difficulty?

Oh, you can add me (BFicky) to the PS3 list. Even though I won't play the single player until I play Extraction first, I'll try the multiplayer right away.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Impossible was the perfect difficulty in Dead Space, actually. So it's not really torture.

i actually thought Hard was better than impossible, if only because on impossible the necros' resistance to your tools got a little immersion-breaking, especially since your equipment was designed to slice rock. Hard managed to keep the threat level while making sure your upgraded tools still retained a satisfying punch.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited January 2011

i actually thought Hard was better than impossible, if only because on impossible the necros' resistance to your tools got a little immersion-breaking, especially since your equipment was designed to slice rock. Hard managed to keep the threat level while making sure your upgraded tools still retained a satisfying punch.

I did Impossible + One Gun and didn't have too much trouble. Not having the line gun was a pain a few times, though.

adytum on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I did Impossible + One Gun and didn't have too much trouble. Not having the line gun was a pain a few times, though.

This is how i did it, with the plasma cutter, didn't run into any issues really.

deveric on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

oh, i did impossible with just the plasma cutter too. it's certainly doable, it's just not as fun. you learn how to take down a necro with just 4 shots, but then you try new game plus on impossible and upgrade the crap out of the line gun and....it feels disappointingly weak, even at max damage. to be clear, the plasma cutter isn't the problem, but i hate how nerfed the crowd-control guns feel on impossible.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has anyone found out what the "bonus" for completing the Iphone game is ?

If the newly announced DLC is an "on disk" deal like with Bioshock 2, I have a nice middle finger for such practices.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    my position: if it's on-disc, it better be free.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For those of you who haven't played this yet, they ramped up the difficulty in this one.

I'm playing on normal just to see what it's like for my first go around, and I've had to reload a fair number of times due to sheer necromorph badassery.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I think in my first 2 hours I've racked up more deaths than my entire first playthrough of DS1

Some of them are kind of cheap, though
    When you get the stasis module, if you don't use it on the slasher that busts in at the exact right moment he one-hits you

Green on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How're the suits looking so far?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm running my first playthrough on survivalist, and it feels just right.

I'm on Chapter 6 and still in the engineer suit, which is basically the level 3 Dead Space 1 suit. Overall the graphics for the game are great, but different than Dead Space 1. The textures aren't quite as nice as DS1 because of the sometimes huge scale of the levels in DS2.

And if anyone can figure out how to force anti-aliasing in DS2 I'd like to know. I'm running maxed with the in-game AA on and everything looks really good, but there's still a little bit of jagginess.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm running my first playthrough on survivalist, and it feels just right.

I'm on Chapter 6 and still in the engineer suit, which is basically the level 3 Dead Space 1 suit. Overall the graphics for the game are great, but different than Dead Space 1. The textures aren't quite as nice as DS1 because of the sometimes huge scale of the levels in DS2.

And if anyone can figure out how to force anti-aliasing in DS2 I'd like to know. I'm running maxed with the in-game AA on and everything looks really good, but there's still a little bit of jagginess.

assuming you have a nvidia card and the latest drivers

you want to google and download Nvidia Inspector

then turn off AA in the game options, and force it on in Nvidia Inspector's driver-level elevated settings

i don't recall the compatibility mode offhand, but most of what i needed to know was found here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3836002

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damnit, just read the last half dozen pages, and this thread is a rehash of the first Dead Space thread.

Which is to say that despite being at my bandwidth cap for the month and not really being able to justify a full price game purchase right now, I'm really tempted to get this. If I make it past the weekend (during which said bandwidth will reset) without getting it, I may be at least a bit surprised.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nooooo!

Amazon has my Collector's Edition marked as delayed. That's not right :(

gjaustin on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hour in

holy shit.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    zealot feels way easier than whatever the level below impossible was in DS1

the only part i'm having trouble with is because i'm sitting in a room that i'm supposed to be in in Chapter 2, and nothing is happening

T4CT on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah Im on chapter 3 and this us just fantastic also the multiplayer is fantastic if anyone on ps3 is looking for a team mate add me

My PSN is bloodyroarxx

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Noble Six ActualNoble Six Actual Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, guys.

In honor of my OP, from so long ago, and it's thread title, I demand this one be changed to:

"NO, REALLY THIS TIME. RE4 + SCIENTOLOGY IN SPACE."

Noble Six Actual on
    XBL: JerichoTwoFour / PSN: ZeroFourThree
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sirialis wrote: »

If the newly announced DLC is an "on disk" deal like with Bioshock 2, I have a nice middle finger for such practices.

Yeah the iTunes page says you have to register the iPhone version to get the unlock, how do you do that?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah the iTunes page says you have to register the iPhone version to get the unlock, how do you do that?

guessing you tie it to your EA account?

T4CT on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    T4CT wrote: »

Wait I found it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    anyone know what the unlock IS?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Wait I found it.

did this end up being good?

i have an iPod and an iPad and I'm thinking about buying it.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Wait I found it.

did this end up being good?

i have an iPod and an iPad and I'm thinking about buying it.
    I'm ten min or so into the game itself, so far so good. Haven't fought a single Necro yet, but the graphics and controls are solid thus far. This isn't all that watered down from the console experience. I don't know what the unlock is yet, I have to start up Dead Space 2 to see, though I did get a free node for the iPod version just for registering.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i imagine its nodes and credits or a suit or both

i'd really like it to be a multiplayer suit but that's just me

might have to pick it up i suppose

T4CT on
  • Options
    TuroktopusTuroktopus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pick this up at Best Buy about an hour ago.

I tried to exchange Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition - a $40 game I got for free from the buy 2 get 1 deal free last week for a copy of Dead Space 2 and just pay the difference for it. Well turns out some manager goon was working the customer service desk and refused to exchange it since "the deal was no longer going on" and some BS about it being on the receipt. Plus I couldn't do that since "it was a new release".

I said that rather than me call the corporate number and bitch to just meet me half way and match a $20 gift card deal that Kmart was running. He tried looking it up online and couldn't find it but just ended up giving it to me anyways. Turns out it was a free 1600 MS point card/$20 PSN card, I had heard about it from CheapAssGamer but didn't know the exact details.

So in the end I got the PS3 version of Dead Space 2 which includes the HD version of Extraction and a $20 gift card. Plus I got the points for the Reward Zone Gamers Club so that'll pretty much get me a $10.

You win some and you lose some.

Anyways sorry about the rant, I'm about 30 minutes into it and I like it so far.

Decided to play on easy mode so I can just focus more on the detail and story first. Then I'll go through and play it on the hardest one.

You guys know that to play DS2 online you have to sign up for a EA Account and put in a serial number?

Good lord what next, DNA samples?

Turoktopus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I just got home!

As mentioned online content requires a key.

Booo EA.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The good news is I can confirm that Extraction comes with the PS3 version.

adytum on
  • Options
    Noble Six ActualNoble Six Actual Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The multiplayer is really fun, if only to get to play as the Necromorphs and eat faces.

I forsee some good XBL parties full of PA folks coming up.

Noble Six Actual on
    XBL: JerichoTwoFour / PSN: ZeroFourThree
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought Necromorphs could only form out of dead tissue! What was up with that first scary part? Just an excuse to look awesome I guess. [/nerdrage]

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Welp, the Kmart near my work (which I will now lovingly refer to as KrapMart) still didn't have Dead Space 2 out yet. Have to try the one near my house after work, and if they don't have it I may just break down and use some Best Buy gift cards that I have and see if they'll price match it :P

Does the package have any sort of markings on it to suggest this ("Limited Edition" perhaps), or is it pretty much a guarantee that they all have it?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is the game too dark for anyone else? I feel like it shouldn't be this dark. It isn't fun not seeing where i'm going/not being able to shoot at anything.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Welp, the Kmart near my work (which I will now lovingly refer to as KrapMart) still didn't have Dead Space 2 out yet. Have to try the one near my house after work, and if they don't have it I may just break down and use some Best Buy gift cards that I have and see if they'll price match it :P

Does the package have any sort of markings on it to suggest this ("Limited Edition" perhaps), or is it pretty much a guarantee that they all have it?

It does in fact say LIMITED EDITION on the top of the front cover, and there is a blue box on the bottom that says it includes Dead Space Extraction. I'm sure now that all the first-run copies will be the same.

I just made it to the first save point and that's a hell of a way to start a game.

Cantido:
    it was an infector, they were the same in Dead Space 1, making the process almost immediate.

adytum on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    Is the game too dark for anyone else? I feel like it shouldn't be this dark. It isn't fun not seeing where i'm going/not being able to shoot at anything.

Mess with the brightness....after you've messed around with the flashlight..

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767