As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 1&2 - Ahhhhhh yes, the "REAPERS".

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So...Archangel and romance...
    I'm going with Garrus on my renegade run, seems like a good fit. I actually really like the writing and it kinda comes off as fun and genuine. And there are some corny jokes (like to savor the last shot). I just have one problem with it.

HE'S A HORRIFYING TWO FACE FROM SPACE!

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So...Archangel and romance...
    I'm going with Garrus on my renegade run, seems like a good fit. I actually really like the writing and it kinda comes off as fun and genuine. And there are some corny jokes (like to savor the last shot). I just have one problem with it.

HE'S A HORRIFYING TWO FACE FROM SPACE!
    I cracked up when talking to Mordin about it and he basically told me "Don't swallow or you'll go into anaphylactic shock."

Dunxco on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Trimble87 wrote: »
    imho Kelly was a throw away character that will have little to no importance in 3 if you do manage to save her. Do what you need to do: side quests, loyalty missions, anomally's and dont worry so much about it :). personally I think it makes the game that much more powerful if its Kelly that is harvested instead of some random person with no meaning to you. Makes the first scene back in the empty ship that much more powerfull.
    It'd be funny if, for not saving her, you get a super paranoid Personal Assisstant in ME3.

CowShark on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Where's all the dude fucking.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok what the fuuuuck
    No one died on the last mission, I kept the Collector base then felt really bad about it afterwards.

So today I deleted my No One Left Behind save to go back to the one before and take the non-idiot decision. I do basically everything the same, bar taking Miranda and Thane as my final boss team rather than Jack and Legion. Everything goes off great except THIS time Mordin dies on the way home for no goddamn reason?

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "Shoot the tubes!"

"Shoot the damn tubes!"

That cracked me up.

And TIM is a fucking idiot for
    Wanting to keep the Collector base intact. A dead Reaper still managed to indoctrinate the entire Cerberus team and turned them into Husks/Abominations/Scions. God knows that would happen to people on the Collector base, full of Reaper juice and who knows what else. For someone who claims to want to protect humanity, he makes some really bad decisions.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Relationship:
    Ended up going with Miranda, but thinking I might switch over to Tali if only to see how much that'll piss off Ashley McXenophobe in ME3.

When I made the choice, it was cool to see that Ashley's picture is placed face down in the Captain's quarters now.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I think I eff'd up on the final mission
    by choosing Samara instead of Jack as the barrier person. That's the only think I can think of. I mean, Jack just inexplicably died...don't even now how it happened, just a shot of her dead on the floor
    I've saved everyone choosing Samara.

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    Trimble87Trimble87 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    by choosing Samara instead of Jack as the barrier person. That's the only think I can think of. I mean, Jack just inexplicably died...don't even now how it happened, just a shot of her dead on the floor

Ive saved everyone by doing Jack and Samara. Im really not sure what all the factors are for keeping everyone alive.

My roomate (100% renegade) went through 10 different ways and destroyed the ship at the end each time... Morinth died each time. We went through once with all the same decisions and kept the base... no one died. My theory is that if you are a renegade all the way through the game and then decide to blow up the ship (which in my mind is the paragon choice) someone dies. Only thing I could come up with.

Trimble87 on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ...I was reminded of "Shoot the tubes, dogmeat!"

But that's probably just me.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So, I'm thinking towards my insanity playthrough boyos. I'm leaning heavily towards revisiting the Adept and using heavy warp ammo. I thought a sentinel would be a good choice, but on my playthrough I felt it was kind of...boring. I haven't done a vanguard yet, but that playstyle seems like it would get eaten alive.

So any other classes I should consider for an insanity run? Good extra skill would also be a help.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They need to put in a difficulty level above Insanity or buff the enemy AI. It was too easy, since the only things that can ever kill you while you're in cover are shotguns, melee, heavy mechs, and Harbingers, because they're the only things that actually try to flank you.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "Shoot the tubes!"

"Shoot the damn tubes!"

That cracked me up.

And TIM is a fucking idiot for
    Wanting to keep the Collector base intact. A dead Reaper still managed to indoctrinate the entire Cerberus team and turned them into Husks/Abominations/Scions. God knows that would happen to people on the Collector base, full of Reaper juice and who knows what else. For someone who claims to want to protect humanity, he makes some really bad decisions.
    That depends. He may be fully aware of the risk and plans to simply send expendable research teams to the base, making sure to never to place anything or anyone really important there. If something goes horribly wrong, then the only thing he's lost is a bunch of people who he was expecting to sacrifice anyway, and he still gets the research if it was stored offsite.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So to help reduce the pain of having to still wait for ME2, I started a renegade playthrough of ME1. I never noticed how many arbitrary NPCs you can murder through conversation. I think the first time through I killed like 2 maybe 3 side characters. I'm only like a quarter of the way through and it seems like every conversation I start ends in me putting a gun to their forehead.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Ive saved everyone by doing Jack and Samara. Im really not sure what all the factors are for keeping everyone alive.

My roomate (100% renegade) went through 10 different ways and destroyed the ship at the end each time... Morinth died each time. We went through once with all the same decisions and kept the base... no one died. My theory is that if you are a renegade all the way through the game and then decide to blow up the ship (which in my mind is the paragon choice) someone dies. Only thing I could come up with.
    Pretty sure there is also a time factor on the last boss, the faster you kill him the better chance of your weaker guys living. I had one run through where the Doc died, but I picked almost identical choices and killed everything much faster and he lived. /shrug

Sirson on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Moar endgame shennigans:
    Nope, I was renegade the whole way through. At the final choice, I decided to blow up the base. My jerkshep was really a xenophobic homicidal maniac shep. No one died, but then again, everyone had loyalty and I was always nice to the humans in my crew. And the sun for TIM was blue, even though I was max renegade and barely a bar into paragon (homicidal xenophobic jerkshep still <3's mankind).

Furthermore, everyone talking about Mordin dying. Has anyone considered this is because he's ~50 years old and a Salarian? I mean, the guy has had a tough life and is well beyond his prime. He has resolved some major issues in his life, accomplished a lot. The ol' man's ticker probably finally just gave out.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got around to finishing my replay of ME last night. Forgot how ridiculously good of an ending that game has.

Later I get to finally start ME2. Weee

Ranced on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just this once
    everybody lives. Well except like half the ships crew. But who cares about them. This is gonna be my cannon save for sure.

Really though, at the end they should've had a line along the lines of 'Play this right/choose the right people and we can all make it out alive' or something. Highlight the fact that it's not like numbers ones stay behind with the nuke.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Just this once
    everybody lives. Well except like half the ships crew. But who cares about them. This is gonna be my cannon save for sure.

Really though, at the end they should've had a line along the lines of 'Play this right/choose the right people and we can all make it out alive' or something. Highlight the fact that it's not like numbers ones stay behind with the nuke.

sooo
    You're telling me that I can't choose to have all the characters with a penis(save for Garrus) die because of my choice? I mean I picked Kaiden to die at the nuke part strictly because he lacks a vagina. I want my Shepard to be a pimp of badass ladies. Especially now that Tali is sex-able :winky:

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Is the achievement that says "Keep your team alive through the suicide mission" hidden? If the achievement exists, obviously it's possible. Why also have some character in the game break the fourth wall? (There's only two who MIGHT have been there when you had someone sit on the nuke, and would therefore have a reason to say anything....)

quarthinos on
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Galielmus wrote: »

Moar endgame shennigans:
    Nope, I was renegade the whole way through. At the final choice, I decided to blow up the base. My jerkshep was really a xenophobic homicidal maniac shep. No one died, but then again, everyone had loyalty and I was always nice to the humans in my crew. And the sun for TIM was blue, even though I was max renegade and barely a bar into paragon (homicidal xenophobic jerkshep still <3's mankind).

Furthermore, everyone talking about Mordin dying. Has anyone considered this is because he's ~50 years old and a Salarian? I mean, the guy has had a tough life and is well beyond his prime. He has resolved some major issues in his life, accomplished a lot. The ol' man's ticker probably finally just gave out.
    Heh it's true, I've already gone on the record as saying Mordin is in my least likely to have a main role in ME3 list. Homeboy dies waay to easily at the end.

Sirson on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just this once

Isn't it kind of obvious though?
    Like,
    they say repeatedly, this is a suicide mission and all of them might not make it back. Just because every other game doesn't mean it, doesn't mean ME2 needs to go out of the way to make it clear. It is pretty insisstent that your preparation for and decisions during the mission lead to survival/death of everyone.
    And no, the achievement for everyone surviving the suicide mission isn't hidden.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    quarthinos wrote: »

Is the achievement that says "Keep your team alive through the suicide mission" hidden? If the achievement exists, obviously it's possible. Why also have some character in the game break the fourth wall? (There's only two who MIGHT have been there when you had someone sit on the nuke, and would therefore have a reason to say anything....)
    I was actually pretty disappointed that you could keep everyone alive. I didn't realise it was possible beforehand, and went into the final mission fully expecting a bloodbath. The fact that I only lost Legion (who can't really die anyway, with the whole geth collective consciousness thing) made the "suicide mission" idea seem a bit hollow. Still, the whole thing was utterly intense while playing it thinking that anyone could die at any second.

My second playthrough I'm probably deliberately not going to prepare so people are dropping all around me and the whole mission feels suitably epic.

Kester on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Just this once

Isn't it kind of obvious though?
    Like,
    they say repeatedly, this is a suicide mission and all of them might not make it back. Just because every other game doesn't mean it, doesn't mean ME2 needs to go out of the way to make it clear. It is pretty insisstent that your preparation for and decisions during the mission lead to survival/death of everyone.
    And no, the achievement for everyone surviving the suicide mission isn't hidden.

Plenty of people don't check the achievements for spoiler reasons.
    And the constant banging on about the fact that it's a suicide mission implies people are going to die. That line wouldn't need to be fourth wall breaking per se. It's very easy to assume all the talk of choosing the right people is choosing who to send to die. Not to do the job.

Leitner on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kester wrote: »

I was actually pretty disappointed that you could keep everyone alive. I didn't realise it was possible beforehand, and went into the final mission fully expecting a bloodbath. The fact that I only lost Legion (who can't really die anyway, with the whole geth collective consciousness thing) made the "suicide mission" idea seem a bit hollow. Still, the whole thing was utterly intense while playing it thinking that anyone could die at any second.

My second playthrough I'm probably deliberately not going to prepare so people are dropping all around me and the whole mission feels suitably epic.
    When Legion dies he has a line about attempting to archive his conciousness and not making it. He's as dead as a geth can be.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I guess I can understand that... But if M$ allows achievements to be hidden, why don't the devs hide the spoily ones? Or is it only PS3 trophies that do this?

edit: I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just asking a question about the possibilities of the X360 which I don't own.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jeedan wrote: »

When Legion dies he has a line about attempting to archive his conciousness and not making it. He's as dead as a geth can be.
    Huh, he never said that on mine. He took a shot to the face and Shepard shouted "Legion!" and then that was that.

Kester on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I'm thinking towards my insanity playthrough boyos. I'm leaning heavily towards revisiting the Adept and using heavy warp ammo. I thought a sentinel would be a good choice, but on my playthrough I felt it was kind of...boring. I haven't done a vanguard yet, but that playstyle seems like it would get eaten alive.

So any other classes I should consider for an insanity run? Good extra skill would also be a help.

Sentinel can keep Tech Armor up and do very well but my best luck for an insanity run so far has been Infiltrator with Barrier. If you can consistently headshot, organic enemies become a joke.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I guess I can understand that... But if M$ allows achievements to be hidden, why don't the devs hide the spoily ones? Or is it only PS3 trophies that do this?

edit: I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just asking a question about the possibilities of the X360 which I don't own.

Yea it's up to the dev's to hide achievements. Plenty of games have hidden ones, but a lot of people don't like that because they have no idea what has to be done to get those achievements. So they go online and look it up, which kind of kills the point of hiding it.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    T4CT wrote: »

Sentinel can keep Tech Armor up and do very well but my best luck for an insanity run so far has been Infiltrator with Barrier. If you can consistently headshot, organic enemies become a joke.

Infiltrator's what I'm running with on my veteran playthrough. My only problem is that it seems a bit fragile of a class and that sometimes things take a long time to go down even with the widow. I'll heavily consider it though.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    T4CT wrote: »

Infiltrator's what I'm running with on my veteran playthrough. My only problem is that it seems a bit fragile of a class and that sometimes things take a long time to go down even with the widow. I'll heavily consider it though.

Even on Insanity, a cloaked Widow headshot will one-shot every normal enemy on the final mission, three-headshot Harbingers (Warp Ammo SMG the Barrier down and you can one-headshot his Armor), and 4 shot Scions.

And you can abuse the cloak to get out of sticky situations involving Husks and Heavy Mechs being a little too close for comfort.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bundle that with Barrier and you can survive a while. Dominate isn't Abadan idea either to create shock troops.

T4CT on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know, the Vanguard charge is really really fun to play with but even in the early game it gets you killed a lot.

Vorcha Pyros, for example were the bane of my existence.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Am i the only one that got a little unnerved during Zaeed's mission when
    Instead of saving the refinery workers you let them die, an when you walk through the refinery you can hear them screaming.

oh an i love this game.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Instead of saving the refinery workers you let them die, an when you walk through the refinery you can hear them screaming.

oh an i love this game.

Which is exactly why, even on a mostly Renegade run, I can't choose that option.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trimble87Trimble87 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

oh an i love this game.

Loved that on my second play through. Really adds weight to the situation.

Trimble87 on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I don't get your problem. You can lose anyone and everyone. It is all
    based on your decisions before and during the mission. If you make a poor choice, wait too long, or don't prepare you lose people. I am not sure what changed? You did well on your first playthrough. You moved quick enough during the missions to save everyone. You prepared well. You choose good leaders and infiltrators. What more do you want of them?

If you do everything right, ME2 rewards you with perfect survival in impossible odds.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ7r80IOxtE

1:45 in. Oh man total mindfuck. Plus it makes the asari work better as a species.

Leitner on
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just realized that
    Liara is the only character who is guaranteed to still be alive in ME3. That's pretty crazy, I wonder how they'll handle that. It also lends credence to someone else's theory that Liara will be really important in the third installment and that part of the game will involve tracking down the shadow broker.

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was on Illium last night and I listened to the whole thing.

Asari creep me the hell out now because of that.
    Because now I'm wondering what they really look like, and if what I'm seeing is the real thing and not some mind control trick.

Havelock on
This discussion has been closed.