As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 1&2 - Ahhhhhh yes, the "REAPERS".

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    Lorek wrote: »
    Has anyone tried talking with Liara about the Shadow Broker with Miranda there? Maybe I missed some detail disproving this, but I have a feeling that the Shadow Broker is Miranda's super rich and crazy father. I kept waiting for someone to bring up the Shadow Broker while she was around, but I didn't have her in my party when I helped Liara. Otherwise, I don't think he ever comes up in conversation when Miranda is around, and it's implied a couple places throughout the game that the Shadow Broker and Cerberus are not good buddies, and Miranda would certainly explain why.
    Miranda had nothing to contribute when I was talking to Liara the other day.

If the Shadow Broker was Miranda's father it's not like she would know anyway.

But I doubt he is. If he hasn't found Oriana yet, then he's clearly not as well connected as the Shadow Broker. Cerberus is good at hiding people, but it's almost impossible to hide from the Shadow Broker.

Besides, the Shadow Broker has been out there for a while now. Probably not a human or human-controller group.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    It's because the Thanix cannons provide range. A Collector vessel sitting behind a screen of Geth ships sniping Alliance vessels would probably light the sky up.

I like how you're just completely making stuff up to support your problem with a nonexistant plothole.

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »
    The Shadow Broker's probably a Reaper.

My problem with these theories is if...
    Harbinger and the Shadow Broker are Reapers, why the hell wouldn't you send them both in during the attack on the Citadel? They definitely would have won that battle with three times the firepower.
    Harbinger's still in dark space. You see him/it in the ME2 ending.
    If that's so then how does Shepard have that picture of the Harbinger reaper at the end? Regardless, why not send the collectors after the Citadel too? Could not have repelled one of those Collector ships, would be nearly as deadly as a Reaper.
    Supposedly after Harbinger reliquished control of the Collector General, the General sent the data on Harbinger to the Normandy as a final act of defiance. I forgot exactly where I read that though, but the ending does imply that Harbinger controlled the Collector General and through him, the rest of the Collectors.

Presumably, the Collectors from the base beyond the Omega-4 Relay are the only Collectors in existence. Besides the base, we only ever see one, maybe two of their ships. Both Normandys running into the same Collector ship? That's more than coincidence. And the only weapons you ever see are the massive forward firing weapon that it uses to destroy the first Normandy, and the Oculus fighters. Powerful, but limited enough that their modus operandi is to skulk around the fringes making backroom deals and abductions.

So I don't believe it would've made much of a difference in the Citadel battle.
    I know the Collector vessel we see is the same one that fights the Normandy both times, I just find it hard to believe that they only have one spaceship in the whole galaxy. And again, that thing vented and crippled the Normandy after a single shot. One of those opening up fire on Alliance Dreadnaughts at the battle of the Citadel? At the very least it would cause enormous casualties if not be a tipping point.

Edit to the above: They only stopped Sovereign after he was dead already. The moment Shepard defeats reanimated Saren aboard the Citadel, Sovereign goes noticeably limp and starts listing to the side. I think it's safe to say that if Sovereign remained intact and capable beyond that point, the fleet would not have defeated him.
    When I said it was limited, I meant that the Collector ships have a very serious drawback. Other than the Oculus fighters and the main gun, it has no other defenses. And the main gun can only shoot straight ahead. Sovereign had the ability to aim and fire in multiple directions at once.

I'm also fairly certain both Normandys were never designed for full-out combat. While a single shot from the Collector took out the first Normandy, I'm betting a shot from any Dreadnaught would do the same thing.

Besides which, I think the Normandy can take out the Collector ship even without the Thanix cannons. Downside is, if you do that, a team member might die and the ship takes serious damage. Same with the other ship upgrades.
    It takes half a dozen shots to take out the first Normandy

There was only one Collector ship

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's because the Thanix cannons provide range. A Collector vessel sitting behind a screen of Geth ships sniping Alliance vessels would probably light the sky up.

I like how you're just completely making stuff up to support your problem with a nonexistant plothole.
    Have you seen the vids from the non upgraded Normandy assaulting the Collector vessel? When using Thanix Cannons, the ship is capable of firing almost immediately. The problem with conventional weaponry is that the Normandy has to get close and takes a lot of damage doing so.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

He's a Reaper sympathizer.

GET HIM.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Have you seen the vids from the non upgraded Normandy assaulting the Collector vessel? When using Thanix Cannons, the ship is capable of firing almost immediately. The problem with conventional weaponry is that the Normandy has to get close and takes a lot of damage doing so.
    The Normandy isn't a warship. It was designed to be stealthy (which is why they got their ass kicked so bad the first time with the Collector ship. They assumed they were invisible, and by the time Joker realized they weren't it was too late

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

And yet it still destroys the ship. A single frigate destroys the collector ship, it wouldn't have made any difference in the fight at the Citadel at all.

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

The existence of Dreadnoughts makes this whole conversation moot. Their main guns can outrange anything the Collectors or Reapers have and will mess them up pretty badly.

There's more of them now too, since humanity isn't limited in how many we can have anymore.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

And yet it still destroys the ship. A single frigate destroys the collector ship, it wouldn't have made any difference in the fight at the Citadel at all.

Because it has nothing else to defend it. Supported with Geth Warships it would probably have helped a lot.

Regardless, I'm just going to drop it.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Normandy is a frigate. The Reapers are dreadnought-sized.

The Collector ship is classified as a cruiser, apparently.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The existence of Dreadnoughts makes this whole conversation moot. Their main guns can outrange anything the Collectors or Reapers have and will mess them up pretty badly.

There's more of them now too, since humanity isn't limited in how many we can have anymore.
    After all this time, there are less than 100 dreadnoughts in existence. Divide the age of the derelict Reaper by 50,000, and that's a potential estimate of the number of Reapers there are. And as before, each one is the size of a dreadnought. You talk of long range, but I'm pretty sure the Reapers have them too.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Suicide Mission spoilers
    Somethin that's been buggin me about it, it's not even really a suicide mission except the fact they may not return they dunno or not. But, much like Batman with time to prepare it goes pretty smoothly with everyone having a pretty damn good chance of survival. Can't wait to do my renegade run without any upgrades/loyalty and watch it all go to hell though.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Suicide Mission spoilers
    Somethin that's been buggin me about it, it's not even really a suicide mission except the fact they may not return they dunno or not. But, much like Batman with time to prepare it goes pretty smoothly with everyone having a pretty damn good chance of survival. Can't wait to do my renegade run without any upgrades/loyalty and watch it all go to hell though.

Well...if you prepare and do everything right...shouldn't you survive?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Collector ship stuff
    The forward main gun it normally shoots isn't it's only one. When it kills the first Normandy, you see it fire one of those beams from a different point on the bottom. It's a safe bet to assume it's weapons are like any other council ship. With a large main cannon forward facing, but with more, smaller weapons at different points for a bigger arc of fire.

Also yes the Collector ships is just a cruiser. At the battle of the citadel, a single extra cruiser would have done jack shit to tip the balance for the geth/reapers. Without the alliance, they already outnumbered and outgunned the citadel defense fleet. With the alliance, things were completely flipped. A single extra cruiser would mean there would just be an extra blown up ship. If they had a fleet*at least 5-10* of them, that is a different story.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did anyone else hear Tali refer to her drone as "Chiktikka Fastpaws"? :D

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Chiktikka Vas Paws.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh sweet jesus, insanity spoilers, yes things are different on higher modes, like
    fucking heavy mechs explode via NUCLEAR BLAST! well a blast like the one from the cain gun, at least the ones after freedoms progress.. the one on the prison ship just exploded like that in garrus's face but he still walked away like the badass he is, im going to have change my strats from now on..

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »

Dear god, does she really? That's fucking awesome.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh sweet jesus, insanity spoilers, yes things are different on higher modes, like
    fucking heavy mechs explode via NUCLEAR BLAST! well a blast like the one from the cain gun, at least the ones after freedoms progress.. the one on the prison ship just exploded like that in garrus's face but he still walked away like the badass he is, im going to have change my strats from now on..
    They only do that if you finish them with a headshot

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    really? on any mode? this is the first time ive seen it.. nice to know tho ill have to try that again the next time a bunch of them are being surrounded.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I hadn't heard that, but I have caught her saying "Good girl"

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

im pretty sure i heard her say "go for the optics, go for the optics!" too, it brought sweet tears of joy to my eyes.

drones and hamsters everywhere, rejoice!

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know, after picking up all the little model ship kits in the game. I would love to get my hands on a real scale model of a normandy to build / paint.

Bioware! Get on it! I'll give you moneys for it! Chop chop!

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So uh... Is it worth keeping the Cain around for bosses if I can only boost its ammo capacity to 190%? I mean, couldn't I do more damage with a max-ammo capacity missile launcher or collector beam as opposed to just one shot from the nuke-gun?

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    The Shadow Broker's probably a Reaper.

My problem with these theories is if...
    Harbinger and the Shadow Broker are Reapers, why the hell wouldn't you send them both in during the attack on the Citadel? They definitely would have won that battle with three times the firepower.

not to mention that
    if the shadow broker is a reaper, why would he try and sell sheps body to the collectors?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Personal pet theory about the Shadow Broker
    An AI that's self-perpetuated over a number of systems scattered all throughout the galaxy. It's not a Reaper, nor is it Geth, and it isn't malicious to organics, either. It was designed for information gathering, so it sees the best way for it to continue to survive is to be useful - indispensable, almost. No organic could have such a widespread network of contacts and proxies and be able to keep a handle on everything, and I like the idea that it is in fact one (synthetic) individual rather than a collection of organics running things.

Plus it's kind of got a Ghost in the Shell vibe.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    really? on any mode? this is the first time ive seen it.. nice to know tho ill have to try that again the next time a bunch of them are being surrounded.
    There's a chance of it triggering on a headkill.

It makes you wish jumping over objects would be a little more seamless.

Hoz on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So what's the easiest, most power-gamery class/build for an insanity run? I generally don't enjoy playing shooters on harder difficulty levels, but I could see myself going that extra mile for Mass Effect 2. But I don't want to make it more challenging than it needs to be.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    An AI that's self-perpetuated over a number of systems scattered all throughout the galaxy. It's not a Reaper, nor is it Geth, and it isn't malicious to organics, either. It was designed for information gathering, so it sees the best way for it to continue to survive is to be useful - indispensable, almost. No organic could have such a widespread network of contacts and proxies and be able to keep a handle on everything, and I like the idea that it is in fact one (synthetic) individual rather than a collection of organics running things.

I'm sticking with the "Its a series of people, some of whom we probably already know" thing, whoever/whatever it is, is going to be a large side-mission if it doesn't play into the story proper.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Personally, I side with the theory that the Shadow Broker is a network of individuals, not just one person.

And I think the Shadow Broker is incredibly dangerous. Working with the Collectors? Come on now.

Could someone remind me?
    Liara:
    Why does Liara hate the Shadow Broker so much?

No one seems to have responded to this.
    There's a dialogue option with Liara that's easy to miss. Turns out, after Shepard died, the Shadow Broker tried to acquire his/her body and sell it to the Collectors. Liara managed to intervene and gave Shepard's body to Cerberus instead, because they claimed that they could bring him/her back.

Liara regrets turning Shepard's body over to Cerberus, but she despises the Shadow Broker for being willing to sell it to the Collectors.

Edit: A video answering your question.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm sticking with the "Its a series of people, some of whom we probably already know" thing, whoever/whatever it is, is going to be a large side-mission if it doesn't play into the story proper.

Because if Star Wars has taught us anything, it's that the universe is a huge place consisting of about 15 characters.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is it possible to get to level 30 on the first playthrough?

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So what's the easiest, most power-gamery class/build for an insanity run? I generally don't enjoy playing shooters on harder difficulty levels, but I could see myself going that extra mile for Mass Effect 2. But I don't want to make it more challenging than it needs to be.

Really, all you need to know for Insanity is:

1. Kill flankers first (shotguns, melee, pyros, harbingers, etc). Retreat to get the hell away from them if you need to.
    2. Stay in cover.

And the main quests are pretty easy just following those two rules.

A few sidequests are harder, like the Eclipse one with the three heavy mechs. That one took a few tries.

I would recommend Infiltrator, because you can abuse cloak to throw off the enemies involved with rule 1, which are the only things that can kill you while in cover because everything else sits back and doesn't try to flank.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Galielmus wrote: »

Because if Star Wars has taught us anything, it's that the universe is a huge place consisting of about 15 characters.

Just seems like its building to a twist, like theres supposed to be some personal feelings there when it all comes together.
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Machismo wrote: »
    Personally, I side with the theory that the Shadow Broker is a network of individuals, not just one person.

And I think the Shadow Broker is incredibly dangerous. Working with the Collectors? Come on now.

Could someone remind me?
    Liara:
    Why does Liara hate the Shadow Broker so much?

No one seems to have responded to this.
    There's a dialogue option with Liara that's easy to miss. Turns out, after Shepard died, the Shadow Broker tried to acquire his/her body and sell it to the Collectors. Liara managed to intervene and gave Shepard's body to Cerberus instead, because they claimed that they could bring him/her back.

Liara regrets turning Shepard's body over to Cerberus, but she despises the Shadow Broker for being willing to sell it to the Collectors.

Edit: A video answering your question.

He also killed her friend while doing it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

If you import a level 60 character from ME1 and do every single quest in ME2 then yes, I got to level 29 on my first playthrough and I skipped a decent number of the side quests.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the comic covers all that, at least it will when all 4 parts are out.

and speaking of other media, the 3rd book, im starting to think its actually set after me2 rather then before, setting it before doesnt make much sense with what little info is given so far..

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not sure it was answered before, but what version of rank 4 powers should I concentrate on? Those that gives a bonus for/against one person, or those that affect multiple people (eg. ammo for squad or area effects)?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Exciting "plot hole rationale" type stuff:

Sovereign, Harbinger and the collectors didn't simultaneously attack the Citadel for a variety of possible reasons:
    1. Harbinger is in dark space, remotely controlling collectors (although the remote control aspect seems a bit far fetched, let's assume it's somewhat similar to TIM/Normandy's quantum entanglement communication).

2. Against a fleet the collector vessel would likely suffer catastrophic defeat. The ship was suitably pummeled by the ground-based defenses from the human colony (not really severely from what I recall, though). They may have a relatively powerful main gun, but their shields aren't inpenetrable. With the size of the fleet the Alliance brings to the battle the difference would be negligible (even before Sheperd's decision the human fleet rivals the turian fleet...and only the 5th Fleet is actually called in to defend the Citadel immediately).

3. The collectors may be the reapers back-up plan. They've been harvesting random species with genetic peculiarities for years, but only after Sovereign's defeat do they start harvesting whole colonies in an effort to build a new reaper.

4. As a complete alternative, Bioware may completely switch things around and actually have Sovereign be a giant dreadnought that Saren found that's not a reaper. The council was right all along to believe Sheperd was going reaper-crazy that early. Albeit this option is highly unlikely.

The seekers are a bit enigmatic, so there are any number of reasons they weren't used against the Normandy. Any reason against why they would avoid this is speculation at best. Some options are:
    1. Seekers don't work well in tightly confined spaces with an abundance of air-tight rooms.
    2. The collectors were concerned the ship's atmosphere would immediately be vented and their boarding parties wouldn't be able to do anything on-board.
    3. The Normandy's mass effect fields for producing artificial gravity prevent seekers from navigating properly.
    4. Paralyzing seekers were designed against human targets and the collectors were expecting a half-alien crew (which happened to be out on a mission).
    5. Seekers are expensive and the collector leader's not made out of money, leave him alone!

An alternative option for both potential plot holes: Bioware messed up their lore.

President Rex on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »

If you import a level 60 character from ME1 and do every single quest in ME2 then yes, I got to level 29 on my first playthrough and I skipped a decent number of the side quests.

if you complete ME2 you get a 15 or 25% bonus to XP gained.
    I did a second me1imp game and got to 30 waaaay ahead of the final stages of the game.

guys, i'm having an issue with this game.
    and the more i think about it the more it drives me spare.

how the hell do biotics actually do any of the listed things their abilities mention?
    mass effect fields could AT BEST render the mass of any object to zero.
    this does not (the codex even says so) accelerate the object in anyway shape or form.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Yeah I think you have to import a 60 and start at 5. I imported a 50, started at 3, and only missed 1 sidequest
    (stupid forged ID)
    ... but I only got to 28.

Once you have beat me2 twice or beat me2 with an import to get an achievement, you start with more resources and a 25% xp bonus. So the 2nd run you should be ok importing a 50 and starting at 3, or maybe even starting at 1.

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
This discussion has been closed.