As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FREE PORTAL IS FREE - It's actually HL2:EP3 in disguise but don't tell anyone

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I'm a little afraid that, with all of the new things they're adding to the game, there's going to be too much to keep track of.

Given the masterful rate at which they introduced new elements in the first game, I wouldn't worry too much. Didn't you go through like three or four puzzles before even getting the second part of the portal gun?

Also, remember how the companion cube originated. When they first tested that level, it was just a normal cube, and people were trying all sorts of ridiculous things to try and circumvent the puzzles because they'd assumed the cube wasn't important and left it behind. Thus, the companion cube was born.

Also remember how reflexes didn't actually matter much at all until the latter part of the game. I'm sure part of the reason the game is being delayed is so that they can smooth out the learning curve.

Just replayed it last night; you don't get the second part of the gun until Chamber 10.

The videos kind of remind me of the expert videos from New Super mario Bros. I'm sure normal people don't have to play it that crazily to succeed.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    You can continue on like nothing happened. But you should get an achievement for doing an optional, ridiculously tough portal jump to save the cube mid-air before it falls into the pit. I would love that
    Something that could be quite mindfucking would be the idea of
    a battered and charred Companion Cube continually popping up in the test chambers, each time of which you have to use it as a sacrificial lamb of sorts in even worse and worse ways, and every time it retains all the unique decals it gets from being shot and battered around and shit. That it's not just a companion cube but the companion cube and that you're only able to survive by heaping loads and loads of horrible abuse upon the thing could lead to some mighty interesting reactions, not to mention dialogue if the game could detect certain specific instances of what you did to the poor thing.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    You can continue on like nothing happened. But you should get an achievement for doing an optional, ridiculously tough portal jump to save the cube mid-air before it falls into the pit. I would love that
    Something that could be quite mindfucking would be the idea of
    a battered and charred Companion Cube continually popping up in the test chambers, each time of which you have to use it as a sacrificial lamb of sorts in even worse and worse ways, and every time it retains all the unique decals it gets from being shot and battered around and shit. That it's not just a companion cube but the companion cube and that you're only able to survive by heaping loads and loads of horrible abuse upon the thing could lead to some mighty interesting reactions, not to mention dialogue if the game could detect certain specific instances of what you did to the poor thing.
    GLaDOS ties the companion cube to a railtrack, and if you don't free it, the train car bumps into it slightly with a soft *donk*

Nuzak on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kupi wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Who's Rat Man?
    It's sort of the name some fans gave to whoever it was that was leaving messages and blood-stained signals for you all over the facility.

We never did find out who they were, or whether they managed to escape or what. We just knew that they had been a lot of the places you had gone, and they left messages in strategic place trying to help you (or maybe just anyone) in trying to escape.

This individual may or may not have also been the one scrawling messages about companion cubes and otherwise going crazy with cabin fever in those hidden rooms with graffiti all over them. We don't exactly know how many test participants there have been before Chell.
    Or if Chell is just getting cycled through the test a billion times.

Actually, (new video spoilers)
    GLaDOS seems to have settled that debate. In one one the videos she says she hasn't killed you yet, which implies that Chell clones have not been running the gauntlet and getting killed over and over.

Aydr on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aydr wrote: »
    Who's Rat Man?
    It's sort of the name some fans gave to whoever it was that was leaving messages and blood-stained signals for you all over the facility.

We never did find out who they were, or whether they managed to escape or what. We just knew that they had been a lot of the places you had gone, and they left messages in strategic place trying to help you (or maybe just anyone) in trying to escape.

This individual may or may not have also been the one scrawling messages about companion cubes and otherwise going crazy with cabin fever in those hidden rooms with graffiti all over them. We don't exactly know how many test participants there have been before Chell.

GLaDOS seems to have settled that debate. In one one the videos she says she hasn't killed you yet, which implies that Chell clones have not been running the gauntlet and getting killed over and over.
    How does that imply clones exactly? It just implies that all the other test subjects died earlier and GLaDOS assumes that your fate is sealed as well. It is just taking longer to kill you.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's just one interpretation, I'd say.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Who's Rat Man?

How does that imply clones exactly? It just implies that all the other test subjects died earlier and GLaDOS assumes that your fate is sealed as well. It is just taking longer to kill you.
    That's what I'm saying... I said it implies that clones HAVEN'T been running the gauntlet, AKA they were other subjects that were killed rather than just Chell over and over.

Aydr on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, it's still debatable.
    Chamber 19's design suggests every test subject eventually falls into the fire. There have been test subject fatalities, unless Chell was the first person to occupy the test chamber in its current form. (It's still plausible the wall writings happened when the test chamber was in a different, non-lethal configuration.)

These previous test subjects may have been other independent people, or they may have been Chell clones.

If they were Chell clones, maybe the language Glados uses means she has never killed this specific Chell clone -- a weaker assertion -- or it means she has never killed any Chell clone -- a stronger assertion that lets us make inferences.

So a better summary would be "either there are no Chell clones who have been test subjects, or Glados was saying "never killed you before" in the weaker sense that only refers to her current clone, not all clones.

Also for some reason I feel like if Chell has clones, she should have exactly six clones. I don't know why. ;-)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Who's Rat Man?

That's what I'm saying... I said it implies that clones HAVEN'T been running the gauntlet, AKA they were other subjects that were killed rather than just Chell over and over.
    I never said Chell died. Just that she's been doing this over and over and over. You've seen the new ending, right? Cehll gets dragged off by one of the drones that was waiting for her to "assume the party submission position" (or whatever). My pet theory is that Chell is the only test subject (left), and everything up to and including destroying GLaDOS's shell is part of the trial.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would think that
    having clones run the tests over and over again would be a fairly poor way of getting data, unless the test chambers changed from clone to clone, and Chell was chosen or created for a very specific purpose due to her level of ability (similar to the guy from Idiocracy) and they are just taking massive amounts of data on one subject.

I like to think of it more like in Cube, where it's just a bunch of really, really unlucky people who get chosen to go through the test chambers. It is sort of implied during the game that Chell is there because of something she did in the past.

But I'm like 0/1 on Portal theories so far - I thought that the "Enrichment Center" was actually the ever-changing internal area of the Borealis (the areas outside of the test chambers with their rusty rails and metal stairways made me think "cargo freighter" much moreso than "scientific complex"), and that the destruction of GlaDos was the reason that the Borealis teleported mysteriously, and that the parking lot and trees that you see at the end of Portal were part of the drydock that was described to have teleported with the Borealis.

But then Portal 2 shows screens of Jungles and stuff, so that pretty much shot my theory all to hell.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    InigoInigo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just watched all the portal 2 trailers at http://www.gametrailers.com/game/portal-2/12821

Im sooo psyched!

Inigo on
    notbad4puppies2copy.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's a video of Portal 2 from gamescom.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRxafex-1Ec

It contains both some new and some previously shown stuff. Also, it appears that the voice for Wheatley has changed.

Peewi on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can get behind this Wheatley. If anything, his voice sounds more authentically English.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Game looks super fuckin' rad.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the release date

2/9/11

2+9 = 11

11 11
    ( ) ( )
    it's two portals
    if you squint really hard and have bad eyesight

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I like the release date

2/9/11

2+9 = 11

11 11
    ( ) ( )
    it's two portals

*Headasplode*

Also, it will make a very nice late Birthday Present for me.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    New voice of Wheatley is Stephen Merchant (co-writer of The Office, and involved in most of Ricky Gervais's stuff). Also had a minor role in Hot Fuzz.

Good call.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, considering that the original voice was placeholder done by a Valve employee...

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, time to hit the media blackout button.

subedii on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, so I'm new to this whole Portal thing. I just bought Still Alive for 360 a couple weeks ago and have done every challenge except for trapping myself to the point where GLaDOS has to help.

So... there's a different ending? How does that work?

You have a name other than "Subject *unintelligible French-sounding stuff*," who must be the pride of "Subject *more unintelligible French-sounding stuff*?"

WTF is the Borealis?

Is there stuff in the PC version that the 360 version got gypped on, or is this all "you didn't read enough, brah," style not-an-uberfan failings on my part?

Fawst on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    Wait, so I'm new to this whole Portal thing. I just bought Still Alive for 360 a couple weeks ago and have done every challenge except for trapping myself to the point where GLaDOS has to help.

You have a name other than "Subject *unintelligible French-sounding stuff*," who must be the pride of "Subject *more unintelligible French-sounding stuff*?"

WTF is the Borealis?

Is there stuff in the PC version that the 360 version got gypped on, or is this all "you didn't read enough, brah," style not-an-uberfan failings on my part?

The Borealis is only talked about in Half Life 2: Episode 2 so if you haven't played it you wouldn't know about it. It's a big boat owned by Aperture Science that mysteriously disappeared, along with the docks it was anchored at. And as for how they know the main character's name is Chell, I don't have a clue.

Also, I'm with subedii in that I think it's time I stopped reading anything about it until it gets released.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gah, I guess I should actually play through The Orange Box version of HL2. My PC can't handle it. I played through HL2 when it launched at approximately 15fps or less. NEVER AGAIN!!!

EDIT: And your avatar fucking rules.

Fawst on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »

WTF is the Borealis?

The Borealis is only talked about in Half Life 2: Episode 2 so if you haven't played it you wouldn't know about it. It's a big boat owned by Aperture Science that mysteriously disappeared, along with the docks it was anchored at. And as for how they know the main character's name is Chell, I don't have a clue.

Also, I'm with subedii in that I think it's time I stopped reading anything about it until it gets released.

- Different ending: In the lead up to the Portal 2 announcement, Valve issued an innocuous update to Portal that introduced some mysterious radios around the levels (this was only on the PC version, for obvious reasons it would've been difficult to achieve the same effect on the 360 / PS3 at the time). It was all part of a pretty awesome ARG they cooked up. The radios transmitted messages in morse code, as well as some other sound files. There were also some other new files in the directory that bore analysing. Translating the files led to a few discoveries, namely a some weird pictures (when the sound files were played back through a TV? Something along those lines), and eventually the telephone number to a BBS associated with Aperture science, which started spitting out ASCII art that looked suspiciously Portal related, and that people started analysing like crazy.

- Eventually Portal 2 was announced, and the actual ending to Portal 2 was slightly modified. Not much, just a little, you can see the change on youtube if you want to look it up.

- We know her name is Chell from the end credits. And also because the official Prima guide refers to her as Chell.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also Chell = Shell, as in a shell for the player

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    and the models filename if I am not mistaken.

The common theory is that she's an android.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like the release date

2/9/11

2+9 = 11

11 11
    ( ) ( )
    it's two portals

I like how your random avatar showed me a blurry one along with this post.
    LewieP wrote: »

Please don't start that. People have argued about that before. It was stupid.

Peewi on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

That is a theory, and a theory with almost nothing to back it up.

august on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, she's obviously a human.

LewieP on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the release date

2/9/11

2+9 = 11

11 11
    ( ) ( )
    it's two portals
    1111 is the code to the intelligence in TF2.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I like the release date

2/9/11

2+9 = 11

11 11
    ( ) ( )
    it's two portals
    1111 is the code to the intelligence in TF2.

Newellllllllllllllllllllll

edit:

1\1ewe11

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

OH NO YOU DI'N'T!!!!

El Guaco on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

How does she survive until Portal 2 then?

Just sayin'.

Actually the reason I came here was to say the thread title is wrong and stuff.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    AzadIsCool wrote: »

Just sayin'.

Do we know with all certainty that it's the same main character?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Just sayin'.

Pretty sure, also she was put in status in the new ending of Portal 1. I swear to got I will personally track down and shoot anyone that starts the android thing again.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Just sayin'.

"It's been a long time. How have you been? I've been really busy being dead. You know...after you murdered me? Okay look, we both said a lot of things that you are going to regret. But I think we should put our differences behind us. For science. You monster."

How many people could this possibly be directed at?

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Magic.

Alternatively: the game's writers decide that Aperture Science has cryogenic technology. Or time-warp stuff. Or whatever the G-Man uses.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Or it just took a long time for anyone to find Chell's charging station.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Klorgnum wrote: »

Magic.

Alternatively: the game's writers decide that Aperture Science has cryogenic technology. Or time-warp stuff. Or whatever the G-Man uses.

Took a Sloooooooooow portal

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Or it just took a long time for anyone to find Chell's charging station.

Blacked for you wanting to bring chaos and anarchy to this thread.

Or just making a joke.

But seriously, do not bring up that android stuff Ever Again

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Apparently Gametrailers TV is going to show some Portal 2 stuff, including a teaser for the co-op.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-321-gametrailers-tv/703139

Peewi on