As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FREE PORTAL IS FREE - It's actually HL2:EP3 in disguise but don't tell anyone

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is absolutely awesome looking. I can't wait to "accidentally" kill my friend over and over again!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    During one of the live demos I saw, one of the players missed the jump onto the light bridge and fell into sludge and died. When you die, your portals disappear. As such, the light bridge disappeared and the other player died.

It was pretty funny.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently Portal 2 is going to have some "custom bot" pre-order bonus.

I'll guess that you'll also get it if you pre-purchase on Steam, just like with the L4D2 baseball bat.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just watched one of those still alive backwards vids on youtube.

I've been missing out!

New York, eat all the hostages!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    During one of the live demos I saw, one of the players missed the jump onto the light bridge and fell into sludge and died. When you die, your portals disappear. As such, the light bridge disappeared and the other player died.

It was pretty funny.

For the live demo I saw at PAX, they gave one of the controllers to a guy dressed up as Gordon Freeman. He was killed by the Valve guy. And lasered a few times.

Oats on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oats wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

It was pretty funny.

For the live demo I saw at PAX, they gave one of the controllers to a guy dressed up as Gordon Freeman. He was killed by the Valve guy. And lasered a few times.

:lol:

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just had a revelation. You know how Valve tried a multiplayer variet of Portal and it sucked. (Basically it was bombing run from Unreal Tournament, but you used portals to put peope into pits and stuff. Essentially it was only mildly amusing for 10 minutes.)

Of course it sucked, since it ignored the two really important bits of Portal: the puzzles and the story. Now, the obvious solution was to do a co-op campaign, but I had a thought:

What if they did a gameplay mode where a few people (I dunno how many) are on different teams: and there goals are to solve a specific team puzzle. Nothing super complex, since it's going to be repeated ad nausum anyway. The compative element comes from using the resources and shifting the level itself to open up the solution to puzzles, which would often be in contradictary ways for each team. For example: One team may need to focus a laser into a certain point on the map to open up a door, but the laser cuts through a tunnel the other team needs to get through, so while the first team is scrambling to get that portion of the level done, the second team are concerned with disrupting that laser so they can continue on with their goal.

Basically each team would be scrambling to complete stages of a puzzle (or maybe one team is just trying to prevent them from completing the puzzle) while the other team tries to disrupt them. It would be complex as hell, and require a LOT of balancing and testing, but I think through refinement it could generation something awesome and VERY unique.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Guess what time it is, it's time for new Portal 2 videos!

EDIT: Maybe I should actually have watched that before watching. There doesn't appear to be any actual new info or footage.

Peewi on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the whole thing reeks of ambition. I am excite.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh my god

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man.

Oh man.

I can't wait.

Drake on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    After the first trailer, I always go on media blackouts for games I'm highly anticipating. I like to keep everything I can a surprise.. but you guys are making it really hard to resist those videos with posts like that. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    KaennethKaenneth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What I'd like to see:

Carrying a single Weighted Companion Cube through the entire game should be an optional (and hella difficult) achevement; like L4D2's Gnome. If you fail to bring one into a test chamber that requires one; one is provided; so it's not required, but as a way to make challenges more interesting...

If it is an 'Orange Box' type deal, have Gordon and Chell's paths cross, but not meet; such as Gordon using a pair of portals that vanish just afterwards (as Chell would be deploying new ones elsewhere). Or Gordon crossing a wobbly steel beam over a chasm-o-death which falls down just after he crosses; while Chell enters a room with no visable ceiling with some deadly device she has no hope of surviving but suddenly a huge steel beam falls from the sky crushing/blocking it.

That is, the Characters (and players, when first playing one game) would have no idea why/how these things are happening at first.

Progressing to where the enemy is talking about 'the other one' and the player, in both roles, takes deliberate actions to help the other. Fleeting glympses of each other (during moments when the other wouldn't be under player control; like Gordon knocked out, temporarally captured; or Chell hurtling through the air into a portal.

Oh and G-Man is actually Chell's Dad. :lol:

Kaenneth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Those on youtube yet? :P Stupid filter.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The G-man is Chell and Gordon's child

Eli is his grandson

Robman on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dr. Breen is their nephew. Welcome to Half-Life.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know we really ought to change the thread title. That deal ended a long time ago.

subedii on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dr. Breen is their nephew. Welcome to Half-Life.

And John Freeman is Gordon's brother. Enter Full Life Consequences.

Drake on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kaenneth wrote: »
    What I'd like to see:

Carrying a single Weighted Companion Cube through the entire game should be an optional (and hella difficult) achevement; like L4D2's Gnome. If you fail to bring one into a test chamber that requires one; one is provided; so it's not required, but as a way to make challenges more interesting...

If it is an 'Orange Box' type deal, have Gordon and Chell's paths cross, but not meet; such as Gordon using a pair of portals that vanish just afterwards (as Chell would be deploying new ones elsewhere). Or Gordon crossing a wobbly steel beam over a chasm-o-death which falls down just after he crosses; while Chell enters a room with no visable ceiling with some deadly device she has no hope of surviving but suddenly a huge steel beam falls from the sky crushing/blocking it.

That is, the Characters (and players, when first playing one game) would have no idea why/how these things are happening at first.

Progressing to where the enemy is talking about 'the other one' and the player, in both roles, takes deliberate actions to help the other. Fleeting glympses of each other (during moments when the other wouldn't be under player control; like Gordon knocked out, temporarally captured; or Chell hurtling through the air into a portal.

But we have no idea when/how/if Gordon and Chell are going to cross paths at all. It isn't unlikely, really, but I don't see why Gordon would be in an Aperture facility.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Plus Portal 2 takes place like a hundred years in the future.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They're throw Gordon into some subspace rip/cryogenic freezing/stasis chamber for the century in between.

What? This is Half-Life we're talking about here. They've done weirder things.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KaennethKaenneth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Kaenneth wrote: »
    What I'd like to see:

But we have no idea when/how/if Gordon and Chell are going to cross paths at all. It isn't unlikely, really, but I don't see why Gordon would be in an Aperture facility.

I was thinking on the Borealis.

Kaenneth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have the stupidest Grand Unifying Valve Universe Theme ever.

After they gave up on the whole elite team of mercenaries thing, RED and BLU got into developing SCIENCE! in the hope that the SCIENCE! could be used against each other.

RED founded Black Mesa. BLU founded Aperture Science.

You may now facepalm.

Put the RED logo ontop of the BLU one.

Look at the result.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I have the stupidest Grand Unifying Valve Universe Theme ever.

After they gave up on the whole elite team of mercenaries thing, RED and BLU got into developing SCIENCE! in the hope that the SCIENCE! could be used against each other.

RED founded Black Mesa. BLU founded Aperture Science.

You may now facepalm.

Put the RED logo ontop of the BLU one.

Look at the result.
    Sorry, what am I supposed to be seeing here?

Also, Portal 2 delayed. Again.
    VALVE ANNOUNCES SHORTEST DELAY IN VALVE HISTORY

Valve today announced that Portal 2 -- the sequel to the ground-breaking title that won over 30 game of the year awards, despite missing its original ship date -- will now be available the week of April 18th, 2011. This two month slip not only marks the shortest delay in Valve's proud tradition of delays, it represents the approaching convergence of Valve Time and Real Time. Though this convergence spells doom for humanity, it will not affect the new Portal 2 release date.

For more information, please visit www.thinkwithportals.com

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Portal 2 does not obey your puny time-space continuum laws!

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    April is too far away!

And it crosses over April first. That is a dangerous time for game announcements.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    I think we should all forget about Episode 3 and start thinking about Half-Life 3. Gabe Newell said the entire point of Episodic content is to be able to release a new one every 1-1.5 years. It's been over 3 years since Episode 2 now, so I really think they must be working on something substantial.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    I think we should all forget about Episode 3 and start thinking about Half-Life 3. Gabe Newell said the entire point of Episodic content is to be able to release a new one every 1-1.5 years. It's been over 3 years since Episode 2 now, so I really think they must be working on something substantial.

I thought we knew for sure that Episode 3 is on the way, as in, it will exist.

Then we also knew for sure that HL3 will exist as well...

I just want more Half-Life and I don't care how we get it.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been playing through HL2 again here at work. They reeeeeeeeally need to up their game on the storyline front. It's amusing to me that their two least "story-based" games, Portal and Left 4 Dead, have infinitely more character and story to follow than HL2.

To be fair, HL2 still blows me away with some of the detail they put into it. I remember thinking it was the most amazing looking game of all time when it first came out. Now... well... not so much. But it's still impressive.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    I've been playing through HL2 again here at work. They reeeeeeeeally need to up their game on the storyline front. It's amusing to me that their two least "story-based" games, Portal and Left 4 Dead, have infinitely more character and story to follow than HL2.

To be fair, HL2 still blows me away with some of the detail they put into it. I remember thinking it was the most amazing looking game of all time when it first came out. Now... well... not so much. But it's still impressive.

I still remember the first time messing around with the physics using console commands. Making barrels fly around was so cool!!!

Now it had better be standard or the game flops, apparently.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fire up Half Life 2, open the console, activate cheats with "sv_cheats 1", and then type "shake".

Best console command ever.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Mr. EyeballMr. Eyeball Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Haha, oh man, Valve. You're the only one that can make me laugh with a 2 month delay of one of my most anticipated games of 2011.

Mr. Eyeball on
    vryplntwwereahisdeath.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I still remember the first time messing around with the physics using console commands. Making barrels fly around was so cool!!!

To be a fair, a lot of time has passed since the Source engine came out. While it's still great for mods, that doesn't change the fact that physics are often more elaborate in other shooters.

That, and thousands of exploding barrels are....pretty much the oldest physics trick ever.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Jelly JigglerJelly Jiggler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fire up Half Life 2, open the console, activate cheats with "sv_cheats 1", and then type "shake".

Best console command ever.

I'm not at home right now what does this do?

Jelly Jiggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

To be a fair, a lot of time has passed since the Source engine came out. While it's still great for mods, that doesn't change the fact that physics are often more elaborate in other shooters.

That, and thousands of exploding barrels are....pretty much the oldest physics trick ever.

Exploding barrels are still awesome though. I love watching guys fly around from 'splosions.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

This is very true, I miss those days...

Wait, they're still here!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It shakes the level? I dunno, I tried it a couple times but it didn't do much. I'm also facing off against the striders outside of the old government building, so I doubt it affects them much.

Fawst on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

This is very true, I miss those days...

Wait, they're still here!

I never get tired of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO_1fIjME5E

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I like this one:

As for Portal 2, I told my friend earlier that the delay is great for me. It gives me time to buy a computer that can run it :P

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I like this one:

As for Portal 2, I told my friend earlier that the delay is great for me. It gives me time to buy a computer that can run it :P

Isn't rik rolling a bannable offense around here?

Undead Scottsman on