As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Curious Urge to Milk Women, Seduce Crops, and Plant Farm Animals

AroducAroduc regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
61PE4NF8D4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yo, Harvest Moon. I gots me the itch to get my farming on.

Ahem. The last one I played was Rune Factory, which I didn't really enjoy much because I hated the combat. Before that was Magical Melody, FoMT, 64, and SNES 'afore that.

Things I like:
Specific Goals/Time limit
64's 2.5 years and done was great. I know other people like the idyllic farming, but I call them weak. Farming is for badasses who want/need to squeeze out every last second of every day. MM's note system was an acceptable substitute. FoMT's "Sit around for 99 years to unlock the last thing" made me very very angry.

Not Being AWL
Good god, that was horrible.

Actual farming
Screw you, Save the Homeland and Innocent Life. Also, to a lesser extent, screw you, FoMT's Harvest Gnomes. I don't like knowing that I have you there to take away the best part of the game.

So what's the latest/greatest Harvest Moon that's come out since MM? Sell me on it. Or if Rune Factory 2/Frontier improved their engine/combat enough to not be tedious, sell me on that. I do not currently own a Wii, but I've been seriously considering purchasing one lately. Alternatively, I see another one is due out at the end of July for the DS. What's the scoop on that?

Also, Karen's the best girl.

art12.jpg

This is not open to debate.

Aroduc on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How are the Harvest Moon games for the DS?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm enjoying Tree of Tranquility, but it is starting to wear thin. A lot of the things that I was initially excited about -- like cooking -- ended up being much more banal and uninteresting and ... scripted, for lack of a better term, than I thought. The NPCs and town were also really meh. I mean, I like them, but I dunno, maybe I'm just no longer satisfied by getting two statements from any given person in any given game-day. Mass-producing 80 of a min/maxed item choice and giving them 1/day to max the romance gauge was also even more tedious than usual because of stupid inventory management and the cumbersome loading.

I'm not radically far into the plot of the game, there's still a lot of villagers that I didn't gain access to, but I doubt I'll get there soon. I'm getting a DS soon, and I'll probably pick up Sunshine Islands I think it's called? I've heard only good things, and Harvest Moon is just better as a portable imo.

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    most important reason to marry karen: if you don't she ends up with rick

Jars on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    also when are we going to get gay/lesbian romance, get on it Natsume

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Friends of Mineral town for the win.

Clearly the best.

Jintor on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    also when are we going to get gay/lesbian romance, get on it Natsume

I see you've never played Harvest Moon DS Cute.
    You can get it on with the harvest fairy!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh God, my addiction. Alright, here goes.

Since you're near guaranteed to find it cheap, you could look into Harvest Moon DS. It's a pretty good game, gives you some clear goals (I don't know about a time limit, per se), has a crew of characters that I haven't seen in the other games (but I haven't played them all, so they might be recycled) and introduces a couple 'new' things. (Farm customization, I.E. where you put your buildings, and lets you use different building materials. Has ducks as farm animals, starts you with a Dog and Cat like the GB games), but comes at a fairly hefty price.

See, the reason why HM DS is so cheap (I got mine for....$10 or $5 at Best Buy a couple years ago) is because it is incredibly buggy. There's a random chance that, when you save, the next time you load, it just won't load. I think it has to do with movement being on the screen, but I don't know for sure. That's only one of the big bugs in it, as well. (Another being that sometimes, during Winter, the game will just give you the max amount of money you can have. For....no reason.)

I don't know if the 'Girl' version fixes that (or if you'd be interested in playing that, anyway), so can't speak for it.

If you have a PSP, you could also get "Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl" which is actually, unabashedly Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (plus Girl version) ported to the PSP. They're basically a different version of FoMT, though, for better or worse.

Aside from that, it's been a rough go for HM games. Island of Happiness is out there, but I've not played it (and I think it got a sequel?) so I can't speak for it, and the PSP just got "Heroes of Leaf Valley" I believe, which is actually just Save the Homeland more or less ported. (so stay away from it.) I enjoyed Rune Factory, but have some issues with it as well, and haven't picked up RF2 or Frontier, so I can't really sell you on those, either.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's due to Harvest Moon that I have a glasses fetish.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've never found a Harvest Moon I liked past the SNES one.

Granted, I haven't looked very hard.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I don't know if the 'Girl' version fixes that (or if you'd be interested in playing that, anyway), so can't speak for it.

Harvest Moon DS Cute fixes all the major bugs and is widely considered to be one of the best Harvest Moon games overall.

To be honest I only played the buggy one, my sister has the girl version and loves it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2010
    How about Sunshine Islands? I hear it has a witch.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tree of Tranquility is pretty fun. It has a lot of nice things that I hope are in every HM from now on, but overall, I'd say it's probably 3rd or 4th on my favorite list.

If you didn't like RF1, I'm not sure if you'd like RF2 either. I mean, it basically expands upon everything in RF1 by a lot. RF2 is a really good game and has a lot to do, but if you don't want to spend half your time in combat, then don't get it.

I haven't tried Animal Parade, mainly because I heard it didn't fix the one problem I had with ToT, which was the loading times in some areas. Gets down right ridiculous sometimes.

I'd say the best Harvest Moon is probably Back to Nature for the PS1. Harvest Moon 64 comes close, but the increased events of Back to Nature make it come out on top. Not to mention that HM64 was buggy and had terrible down time any time you paused it on your farm.

Also, I haven't liked any of the DS iterations so far of Harvest Moon. Hopefully they can make something good soon.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There was a Harvest Moon (original) SS LP on Something Awful a long time ago

It was absolutely excellent, featuring cameos by various Robot Masters from the Mega Man series

Rent on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't even know why I like Harvest Moon (or rather, FoMT, which was the only one of the ones I've played that I absolutely loved). I played Rune Factory 1 and 2 and thought they were decent, but they didn't capture me the way FoMT did.

Jintor on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I suppose newer HM games improved the stamina system?

I absolutely hated how in the SNES version you'd tire out pretty much at 10am in the game and had no way of either regenerating it or increasing your max stamina.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tree of Tranquility, at least, didn't really fix that at all. I had 3 stamina boosts, and I could still empty my stamina within two or three hours on the farm. Then I'd go to the Hot Spring, get the full refill, and be done emptying it a second time by, yeah, 10AM. After a while I was uninteresting in doing things like seeing NPCs give me the same scripted dialogue so I would just go to bed at 10AM, which is the tipping point at which my interest starts to wane in any given HM game.

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I absolutely hated how in the SNES version you'd tire out pretty much at 10am in the game and had no way of either regenerating it or increasing your max stamina.

Rune Factory gives you two ways of healing stamina. Not sure about others.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It would just make complete sense that as time passed by, you'd become stronger and would be able to do more tasks per day, but you're always as weak as day 1. I tried to fill the SNES version's whole lot farm with crops and a pasture, after spending several days prepping the farm, it was a big hit to realize that there was no way I'd be able to keep it running.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember working my little man until 11:59 pm in FOMT on the first day so I don't think there was any stamina issues like you described.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tree of Tranquility, at least, didn't really fix that at all. I had 3 stamina boosts, and I could still empty my stamina within two or three hours on the farm. Then I'd go to the Hot Spring, get the full refill, and be done emptying it a second time by, yeah, 10AM. After a while I was uninteresting in doing things like seeing NPCs give me the same scripted dialogue so I would just go to bed at 10AM, which is the tipping point at which my interest starts to wane in any given HM game.

You must not have found all the power-ups. ToT let you increase the bar to more than twice as long from your starting point.

I was able to do all my normal farm work and barely dent the thing.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Friends of Mineral town for the win.

Clearly the best.
    Oh my goodness. I spent a good chunk of my life playing FoMT. It is the best. The original comes in at a close second, though.
    Xagarath wrote: »

Rune Factory gives you two ways of healing stamina. Not sure about others.
    In the original, couldn't you either eat berries you found or go to the hot spring? Or am I thinking of a different one?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    In the original, couldn't you either eat berries you found or go to the hot spring? Or am I thinking of a different one?
    Berries increase your maximum stamina and could be acquired in various ways. I think there were ten total. The hot spring would restore your stamina to its current maximum. If you never found any berries the game would be an exercise in misery by the midpoint but I really don't see how you could fail to find at least a few.

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Almost every game has ten Power Berries to find. A couple have Blue Berries which get rid of sickness and fatigue.

There are a couple of games with only 5 Power Berries, but usually the way you acquire some berries is the same (i.e. Get to the last floor of the mine, randomly dig it up on your farm, ect.).

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    From what I hear about the games, pretty much every aspect of gameplay sounds incredibly unfun. It seems like people like them, though.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Berries increase your maximum stamina and could be acquired in various ways. I think there were ten total. The hot spring would restore your stamina to its current maximum. If you never found any berries the game would be an exercise in misery by the midpoint but I really don't see how you could fail to find at least a few.

Hmmm... I did find a few, but didn't they just get your stamina to max, and not actually make it last longer?

Not sure about that, but the hot spring though, it didn't fill you up at all, it would only get you like 25% of your stamina back.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2010

Hmmm... I did find a few, but didn't they just get your stamina to max, and not actually make it last longer?

Not sure about that, but the hot spring though, it didn't fill you up at all, it would only get you like 25% of your stamina back.

You could jump in them repeatedly to gain back more stamina you know. And no, they gave you +10 stamina for every berry (started at 100).

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, your final tally on Stamina after all ten is usually 200 points.

Before the games had meter, you could tell how much you had left by expressions.

The first one signified 50%, next one was 25%, 10%, and 0% I believe. After the last one, all stamina is converted directly into fatigue, which eventually leads to sickness with enough points.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What have you done.

I will now have to play Harvest Moon for the SNES again.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The regular town music in SNES Harvest Moon is addictive.

The only reason I can't stand to play that game anymore is how dead the first autumn/ winter is and how fucked the framerate is in a barn with full cows. The bell tree and a good pasture fix that problem for 3/4s of the year.

HM64 is the perfect mix of simplicity and complication for me. 3/4 year planting, three animals, rewards for making friends, short mine, green house, time limit. It's the only N64 game I really need on the VC now.

BtN/FoMT are great, but the added complexity is a bit too much.

I don't hate AWL really and find it the best non traditional game. It's much better than the one with the robot or StH. I love the classic tracks and GBA connectivity, and that game has incredible sunrises and sunsets.

Most of the modern games have been bad to ok. Rune Factory is easier, less tedious HM mixed with a bit of gauntlet. Island of Happiness would be great if it had dpad controls. The last Wii one was decent.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No outpouring of love for 64? Man, for shame. It might not've had some of the fancy features found in the later game, but everything about it just clicked together so perfectly, NPC dialogue especially (barring the trademark spelling errors, of course). The second and third GBC ones were pretty nifty, too.

Shit just started gettin' weird after FOMT came out, though, like the devs just went "take what we've got, multiply it by 100, and make shit unlock only after a shitton of grinding by the player". DS' control setup burned me something fierce, RF1 got me interested, but then I lost interest with FR2 what with the whole
    taking control of the main character's 6-year-old child and continuing shit from there
    bit, blech.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rune Factory Frontier for Wii is pretty great.

It is currently my goal in life to become the town pimp.
    jothki wrote: »
    From what I hear about the games, pretty much every aspect of gameplay sounds incredibly unfun. It seems like people like them, though.

It's one of those situations where the whole is greater then the sum of its parts.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2010
    Pata wrote: »

It's one of those situations where the whole is greater then the sum of its parts.

Most of the fun comes from the fact that days are so short, especially at the start. There's always something else that you wish you had done and then you're juggling eighteen different things at once etc etc. It's a lot less fun (at least for me) if you try to take it easy instead of min/maxing the fuck out of everything and still knowing at your heart of hearts that you're failing somewhere.
    Most of the modern games have been bad to ok. Rune Factory is easier, less tedious HM mixed with a bit of gauntlet. Island of Happiness would be great if it had dpad controls. The last Wii one was decent.
    Supposedly the latest DS one (Sunshine Islands I think?) does, hence why I asked. Nobody's played it?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked the SNES version, but Natsume nailed it with Back To Nature. A Wonderful Life and Another Wonderful Life were okay- apart from the bugs- and the fact that we had to pay a hundred bucks total for essentially the same game.

Tree of Tranquility was pretty good, but I'd have liked to see a Back To Nature-quality game with Tree of Tranquility- type events.

The only ones that Natsume dropped the ball on were the original Game Boy Harvest Moon titles. They were horrible.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Magical Melody had a chance to be an all time great game but it had two major problems.

One- Characters only had about one and a half lines of dialogue per friendship/affection level. I guess this has to do with their being so many damn characters in it but they could have done better.

Two- Not enough festivals and events.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love harvest moon but until I got a psp my best choice was FoMT for the GBA. I liked the game, but they took out hothouses! I was so pissed.

I got a psp go and got the rehash of the psx harvest moon. Back to nature I think. Its pretty great. They just put out another one for psp called Hero of Leaf Valley. Pretty sure its a rehash of save the homeland from PS2 but with some stuff added. Haven't checked it out yet.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    FoMT is the best game in the series, period. PSP's version of BtN is terrible but it's still a pretty good game.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Save the Homeland was so terrible. I'm glad I got it for twenty bucks instead of full price... but still.

I forgot about Magical Melody when I was talking about stuff earlier. Such a good game. Lots of stuff to do and very remniscient of BTN/64 era.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's an end of the era sort of game with tons of people from HM1 and Save the Homeland in it. I also kinda like the live in town, use common land thing it had going for it. If they had fixed my two major problems with it it would probably have been the second best console HM.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »

Most of the fun comes from the fact that days are so short, especially at the start. There's always something else that you wish you had done and then you're juggling eighteen different things at once etc etc. It's a lot less fun (at least for me) if you try to take it easy instead of min/maxing the fuck out of everything and still knowing at your heart of hearts that you're failing somewhere.

Seriously, how the heck are you people enjoying those games? Pretty much every single thing I hear about them makes them sound worse, even when you're actively praising them.

jothki on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FoMT is the best game in the series, period. PSP's version of BtN is terrible but it's still a pretty good game.

How is it terrible? It has hot houses and fish farming. I found FoMT lacking after growing up on harvest moon 2 for the gameboy color.

Shogun on