As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] The Haunting of Kincep Mansion - What Dwells in Yonder Stable?

• Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OOC: What does a pitcher of ale cost in a tavern? Ronen figures he could buy a drink for the hunter to get him out of his brooding and 'loosen his lips' a little...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daig walks up to the hunter, nearly tripping over Krikkit. He puts his Githzerai finger right in the braggard's chest and says "First off, no self-respecting man of the hunt puts on that kind of frilly show. Second, I doubt the truth of your claims regarding eggs eaten as a child. Third, start talking about Kincep manor, we got real business. Business that involves less choreography, and more kill-eography. Third-and-a-half, what do you know of the local insectae...I got bit by something on the way over here and it itches like the dickens. Fourth...well, I forgot where I was going with this, but you just answer the first three and a half and I'll let you know if I remember"

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just as the song ends but Foghorn not realizing it is suddenly quiet he says loudly enough it booms through the whole tavern:

"This I say this Gaston fella is as big as an ox and just about as smart." Understanding what just happened, Foghorn smiles widely and backs up very close to his party. Behind everyone.Where it's safe.

OOC: I might want to buy some more ammunition i will post when i figure what i want.

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The huge bullywug tromps in behind everyone else, and stops just behind Foghorn. He twists his torso around and watches the goings on, wondering if all of the townspeople are like this all the time. He grins and he hopes that they are, as they are incredibly entertaining to Tetter.

When Foghorn makes his declaration, and then retreats, he bumps into Tetter and the bullywug steadies him and grins around the room at everyone that happens to look his way. He leans sideways and watches around the party at the hunter's reaction.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Like the rest of the party, Ronen was also watching the discussion between the bounty hunter and the dark haired hunter with utmost fascination.

He had to admit, these townfolk know how to entertain themselves. Which wasn't a bad thing in Ronen's book. After all, he just can't stand dull folk.

But they were on a job, and he hoped that the hunter would be compliant to Daig's method of 'friendly' interrogation.

OOC: I'm fine with what I got.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll update after I knock off work this evening guys.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "You doubt Gaston? Every man here can vouch for it. Lefou here..." He indicates the portly man nearby. "Has grown up with me since childhood and tell you every word is true. And old man Benjamin here.. "He grabs him in an affectionate headlock. "has watched me grow since I was knee high."

"So....unless you're man enough to arm wrestle me I think you'd best keep your mouth shut." The rest of the bar echoes with cries of agreement and derision while the three buxom barmaids swoon over Gaston.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ronen was ecstatic when he heard the word 'arm wrestle' coming from the hunter, as though the man flat-out challenged them, and a sly grin and gleaming eyes replaced his otherwise calm features on his face.

The swordmage moved over to the hunter and gave him a slap on the man's back. "I like your style, good Sir! Never backing down from strangers! That takes courage! Gaston was your name, right? And you said you challenged us with a game of arm wrestling, you say? Is that an outright challenge? If so, I will gladly accept it! If myself or my associates win, you'll buy everyone here a ale on the house, as well as answer our questions unconditionally! If not, well, I'll let you decide your own terms and conditions. What say you?"

Ronen offered an open hand to the hunter, waiting for a handshake to come to an agreement.

The Deva rarely backed down from a challenge, and once a challenge was issued to the Deva, he'd never back down at all.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Gaston breaks out with a smile at Ronen's challenge and spits on his hand before smacking hands with the Deva. "Excellent! Lefou, two chairs and a table!" As Lefou dashes off Gaston continues. "And once you lose you do the same, a round of drinks to my friends here and you all help me with a problem I need to deal with. I'll even be sporting and give you a few tries, best of three!"

Lefou returns, dragging across two stools over to the closest table, before being kicked aside by Gaston, who then proceeds to pick one up. "Chairs Lefou, chairs! Get me my chair and another, not these flimsy things!" and snaps it in half. "We need something that'll hold a man's weight!" Lefou eventually manages to drag up two suitable chairs. The tavern's patrons crowd the area and passers by who heard the exchange outside(and given the volume of Gaston and Ronen's voices this isn't particularly suprising) begin to ring the area.

As Gaston and the group settle the terms the barmaids parade through the room with large boards held above their heads with a intricate one drawn on on it and the band in the corner begins to play while the room once more breaks out into song.

Gaston rips off his shirt revealing an identical one beneath made out of some sort of irridescent material, flexing his arms as if pretending to yawn. Running a hand through his mane of thick black hair he flicks it to one side, snaps his head away from the party and struts over to the table, the crowd cheers and parts before him as he makes his way to the front of his chair.

Clearly this is a fairly common occurence here.

Gaston indicates the band playing in the corner "The boys know most tavern songs friends, so ask them for whatever you want."

Skill challenge!

It has many names. The noble sport! The sport of true men! The sport of champions!

Yes! Arm wrestling!

This will be a straight forward challenge. Man to man. Two egos enter, one leaves!

Technically it'll be made up of three parts, since it's the best of three matches against Gaston. As most of the party has athletics trained (and Daig is high enough he's competitive) you'll be rolling Athletics vs Gaston's. Even if you can't contribute to the wrassling side of things, an intimidate check to silence a loud patron, insight or streetwise check to find any of Gaston's weaknesses, a diplomacy or bluff check to attempt to turn the crowd in your favour would help whoever is competing.

Say Ronen is arm wrestling Gaston first. Each of the party can make a supporting check before he makes the Athletics check, which if successful will count towards the success total and gives Ronen a +2 to his roll.

At least one success must be the Athletics check.

Most importantly, if you're competing you need to pick out some intro music for the band to play as you make your way up to the table!

Primary Skill:
    Round 1 - Athletics (DC: 27) Five successes before three failures.
    Round 2 - Athletics (DC: 26) Five successes before three failures.
    Round 3 - Athletics (DC: 25) Five successes before three failures.

Secondary Skills:
    Diplomacy (26)
    Bluff (26)
    Intimidate (26)
    Insight (23)
    Streetwise (24)

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OOC : Well Whoever has the highest athletics go against him i will manipulate the crowd with my charming self.

Bluff vs the crowd 1d20+21: 35

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So, are there going to be 3 of us wrasslin' or 1 person wrasslin 3x? Not that Daig would sit down for it anyway, just confuzzled. Daig will, on the other hand help out with a little insight on the matter.

Insight: 1d20+16 = 26

"I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say we are gonna sit the Wurlybug or the Diva down to best the fop?" the bounty hunter asks as he addresses the group. Daig slinks over to Tetter and Ronen and discretely fills them in on what he was able to glean from his face time with Gaston.

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    OOC: Well let's see:

We got Daig with a +10 on athletics
    Foghorn's at +9 (so he's much better off influencing the crowd)
    Krikket has a +12 on athletics
    And Tetter and myself have the highest athletics score of +17 each.

Since Ronen called out Gaston, it seems only fitting that he should go first.

Also, how do I roll for athletics during this? Will I have to roll each athletics check seperately (leaving some breathing room for others to roll), or will I have to roll all 5 checks to see if we succeed or not?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [strike]Tetter's pretty excited now that a physical challenge has presented itself, and he'd probably be able to best Gaston in the first round, considering his athletics is 17. However, Ronen provided the challenge in the first place, so Tetter will leave it up to the deva if he wants to face the hunter.

So, whatever you decide TiamatZ, I'll wait for you to post and either do an Aid Another or sit down and put the sparkle master to shame.[/strike]

Intimidate (Aid Another): 1d20+18 24

The huge bullywug looks back and forth between the deva and the hunter, anticipating something fun happening. He grins widely and involuntarily croaks loudly. The sound booms through the room and the Tetter blinks at everyone's reaction to him. One more loud croak and the bullywug steps to the side, understanding that the challenge was made not by him, but by the deva, and honor required the deva to meet the challenge himself.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Krikkit narrows his eyes and concentrates on the boastful hunter, looking more constipated than wise. However, the kobold's senses are uncanny, and Gaston's weaknesses are laid bare to the monk.

Insight: 1d20+10=27

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    One at a time, three separate matches. As man a man as Gaston is, he only has two arms.

Any successful aid checks you make last for a full match. So say Ronen is going first, once he's made his way to the table and it starts, you make your athletics checks with appropriate modifiers. I'll chime in with my bit after that and then we'll move on to the next person.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I thought the guys who are not wrestling were going to make the supportive checks? Cheering raising moral distracting the oponent etc. Or will the actual wrestler make all the 8 checks?

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, to clarify.

Say Ronen is arm wrestling Gaston first. Each of the party can make a supporting check before he makes the Athletics check, which if successful will count towards the success total and gives Ronen a +2 to his roll.

At least one success must be the Athletics check.

Primary Skill:

Secondary Skills:
    Diplomacy (26)
    Bluff (26)
    Intimidate (26)
    Insight (23)
    Streetwise (24)

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ronen scoffs at Gaston's glittering attire.

"Son, just who do you think you are trying to impress with that get-up? Eight year old children? This is ARM WRESTLING, where your muscles do the talking, and not your clothes!"

The Deva walks up to the band and whispers something into their ears. As he walks away towards the awating Gaston and the 'ring', the band started playing. It was an oldie the Deva thought, but one that would surely hope set the mood for this upcoming challenge.

Both men offered each a handshake before the duel, as it was customary to say good luck to your opposition, at least where Ronen came from. Once the pleasantries was over, they both sat down and locked hands. And then the games begin...

The first few moments were straining to the men: Veins on the arms started bulging at the force the two men provided; neither one of them intent on giving up their ground. The Deva remembered Daig's advice and was able to hold his position firmly...
    Athletics Check: 25 + 2 from Daig's insight bonus = 27 1 Success

Whew, close one!

Also, Iwe still have another successful insight check and another successful BLuff check. Do I use those as modifiers as well in the next rolls?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Staring steadily at his opponent Gaston replies to Ronen. "Clothes make the man boy! We'll see how you do, it's early yet." Returning his attention to the table, he focuses on pressuring the Swordmage who has managed to hold his own thus far in the match.

Cranking it up!

Shouts of encouragement ring out from the crowd, but Foghorn seems to be swaying some of the crowd, as some begin to turn cheer for the Deva. The band switches up as they continue, cranking up the noise to be heard over the crowd.

Four successes, one failure. Your use of Bluff and Insight skills will reset at the start of the next round. And yes, you can use those modifiers for your next roll.

Primary Skill:

Secondary Skills:
    Diplomacy (26)
    Bluff (26) Used for round one.
    Intimidate (26)
    Insight (23) Used for round one.
    Streetwise (24)

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "If clothes made the man, I would have consider you a street entertainer than an actual hunter at first sight.", Ronen retorted to the boastful hunter. He had to admit, gaston was holding his own in this match, and respected his strength. But in any challenge, even in arm wrestling, only one person or party would come out victorious.

And the Swordmage wouldn't back off now.

Ronen watched as his allies try to sway the crowd. Motivated by Krikkit's wisdom (by searching for any weaknesses of the hunter), and the Kenku's ability to persuade and influence the crowd, the Deva applied this newfound power, and applied extra pressure to his right arm. Gaston's left arm was slowly tipping to the right, and the Deva could not help but grin.

"Feeling nervous yet, Gaston?"
    Athletics roll: 36 + 2 bonus on Krikkit's insight = 38
    Athletics roll: 29 + 2 bonus on Foghorn's Bluff = 31

OOC: Anyone else want to roll some support rolls, or should I just keep going on with rolling athletics?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Round one complete after 5 successes and one failure!

Gaston's hand is forced, slowly, down onto the table my the Swordmage which elicits cheers and shouts of disappointment from the crowd followed by the ring of coin changing hands. He scowls for a moment, before shaking his head and shaking Ronen's hand. "You're tougher than you look."

"It's still not over though, which one of you is next?"

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Krikkit continues squinting at Gaston, but the kobold's scrunched-up face draws a laugh from the giant human, startling him.

Insight: 1d20+10=13. Poop!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Okay, who's testing their luck next? Tetter?

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Not me I have terrible athletic ability.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Personally I think Tetter or Krikkit should go next, since they are the only ones with athletics scores greater than 10 (though I would suggest Tetter 1st, since he has the higher athletics of the two).

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd agree, Tetter stands a much better chance--although it'd be hilarious if Krikkit manages to best Gaston.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pictures the burly and masculine Gaston being beaten at arm wrestling by a scrawny, tiny Kobold. :)

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Back from my trip.

Bladecruiser, I just need a post of you stepping up and some intro music.

Otherwise I will trawl youtube for something malevolent and terrible and you will rue it.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Daig grabs Lefou and throws his arm around the little man's neck. He begins talking to him about his time in the war, and telling him harrowing, if unbelievable, tales of survival. He ends simply with "...so tell me about this Gaston...he got any good war stories?"

Daig will try to glean any info he can to Lefou's response.
    Insight check: 1d20+16= 18
    ...which is apparently very little

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Tetter glances about the room after waiting a few moments to decide if he should go ahead and step up now. After debating with himself, he came to the conclusion that he might as well get on with it. He trundles up to the band and gives them a rough description of what they should play. The band lead nods and signals the rest of them to start.

The huge bullywug reaches back behind him and grasps the hilt of his axe when the music starts playing, much to the surprise of those around him. He lifts the axe over his head and begins to spin it around in the air, passing within inches of some of those nearest to him, varying the speed as the music plays to provide quite a spectacle. The show is made all the more impressive as the crowd realizes that he's doing this with only one hand.

Intimidate: 1d20+18 32

When the music finally nears the end, Tetter flings the axe up towards the rafters where it flips end over end and crashes down into the floor next to him, hilt up, the instant the music stops. He crosses his arms over his chest and croaks loudly "I'm next!"

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Very well, sit down little.....uh.....man." Gaston gestures for the bullywug to join him at the table. Planting elbows on the table once more they begin their duel. Having finished Tetter's song, the band kicks up again with a song that makes the crowd go silent for a moment.

It's the imposter king!

Whispers of 'the imposter,' 'King Michael,' and the like whisper about, but they can't resist the catchiness of the tune and work the level up to a roar agains as Tetter and Gaston strain against each other.

Gaston has regained some confidence and is beginning to make some head way against his opponent, backed once more by a significant portion of the crowd.

Round 2 progress: One success, two failures.

Primary Skill:
    Round 1 - Athletics (DC: 27) Five successes before three failures. Clear!

Secondary Skills:
    Diplomacy (26)
    Bluff (26)
    Intimidate (26) Used
    Insight (23)
    Streetwise (24)

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lefou continues to gabble at Daig, who vaguely registers something about a 18 antered deer and other outlandish feats of Gaston's prowess, which proves to be useless. The headlock seems to do nothing to deter him, you assume his treatment at the hands of Gaston has mostly innured him to it.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, now you guys are finishing up with the long weekend let's get some rolls happening to beast up Tetter's Athletics check some.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I could do an Insight check, but I'm afraid I might botch it up (we have two failures so far).

Also, Ronen's not much of a conversationalist (He likes to take action than talk his way around things), so CHA-based skills aren't so useful.

I'd rather wait for another of Tetter's athletics before I'll consider Insight.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    " This Gaston fellow cant even i say cant even spell victory.Our little frog fella is the man that will win this." Foghorn's voice booms through the tavern and every person there hears him....

Bluff check : 1d20+21: 28
    And a large part of he crowd starts cheering for Tetter.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Should I go for another insight check at this juncture? My odds aren't great on it, so I've been holding off since we already have 2 failures this round...

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, I've got a cousin staying with me from interstate till the beginning of next week. If we can get this round finished by then that'd be great.

Probably best to let Tetter make his Athletics check, since he'll be rolling at +21 and only needs a 26.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So I says to Maybelle, I says...

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I think Tetter is having the before arm wrestling jitters.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Krikkit hummed to himself as he watched the combatants square off. Having failed to divine anything of use from an examination of Gaston, the kobold contented himself with composing haikus, a practice he often used to meditate.

The hunter is big
    But the frog man is bigger
    I think he will win

Saurfang on