As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] The Haunting of Kincep Mansion - What Dwells in Yonder Stable?

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Paging bladecruiser?

Saurfang on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have PM'd Bladecruiser, I checked and it said he'd been active on the boards as of yesterday at least. If I don't get a reply by the weekend I will find out if any of our other strikers from the recruitment stage are still interested in joining.

My apologies for us being stuck treading water for so long.

Kelor on
  • Options
    PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Happens.I'm sticking with this awesomeness.

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Id be lying if I said this post was for any reason other than putting the thread back on the first page solely for my own viewing convenience. also Daig...something...something....the war...

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1cap6yETA

Mr Rose is going to be joining us in battle, cracking skulls as The Dreaded Gnome! I had PM'd Bladecruiser a few days ago and never heard back from him, though he's posted elsewhere in the meantime and I assume we're not going to hear back from him.

Now there are two ways I figure we can do this. Either we have Tetter forfeit and run into the distance with shame at his loss and The Gnome steps in for round three or we magic him in and continue from where we are at the moment as he was in it the entire time. As you'll see, the Gnome packs a solid athletic's skill to boot.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As the crowd begins to grow impatient at the bullywug's 'warm up' routine, a cry appears to come from outside, followed by a loud crash as the bar door swings open violently, followed by a black-and-white blur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSywtiAirKE

"Francis! FRANCIS! NO! Come back here!" can be heard emanating from the small figure apparently pursuing the blur heedless of obstructions, be they furniture or patron, until finally knocking over the contest table and coming to a halt by bouncing off Gaston, who now has a badger for a hat.

"Can I have my badger back, mister?" said The Gnome, looking up from the wreckage of the table with the wide-eyed stare of the innocent.

Bluff: 24 to convince them they really are dealing with a broadly innocent if mischievous almost-child.
    Which they are, when you think about it properly....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Welcome to the group Rose!

Ronen looks forward to knocking some heads with the tiny man-child!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Welcome, Mr. Rose! Glad to have you aboard. Also I totally vote for Tetter fleeing..

Krikkit catches the eye of the newcomer--at actual eye level--and a broad, wobbly grin spreads across his face. "We are going to be friends."

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Good to have you aboard Rose.

Foghorn leans towards Ronen " I say, I say I think this kid is couple sandwiches short of a picnic".

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Welcome, good sir Gnome.

"Uh, a Gnome. Never trusted little folk myself," Daig explained to Foghorn. "Once, back in the war I was taken prisoner by a tribe of pygmy giants. They pulled out my lungs and left me for dead...bastards..."

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Ronen eyed the little man.

Who's this man? Didn't he see they were in the middle of something here!

Here's hoping he's actually all business and no talk; I just can't stand fools that proclaim themselves the best, but get beaten so easily.
    , the Deva mused to himself.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Hello new friend!" pronounced The Gnome, as he reached over to grasp Krikkit by the wrist in a surprisingly powerful warrior's handshake. "Do you think you could help me get my badger back?" he continued, turning his face to look at the offending creature, saying "Francis! Get down from there before you catch rabies or something!"

NB; whatever my character sheet says at the moment, The Gnome does not have his scimitar and shield equipped. They're slung, as is his wand, but within easy reach.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In the uproar of the diminutive warrior's entrance, Gaston shrewdly glances to either side of the crowd. Seeing both they and the Bullywug opposite him are engrossed in the creature's scrabbling for some sort of rodent he gathers his strength and slams Tetter's fist to the table surface.

Caught off guard by the turn of events at the table the crowd breaks out in cheers for their local hero. Disengaging himself, Gaston stands with arms clasped together over his head in victory.

"Now then, which of you boys wants to step up to finish this? The good people here are parched of thirst from all this and need a drink to clear their throats!" Gaston plays the crowd through long experience and the crowd responds delightedly.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Foghorn goes forward until he faces Gaston and starts poking him in the chest. " This boy here has crazy strength.Pay attention, I'm talking you ain't listening boy. This will be our final fighter" Foghorn turns to the Gnome and whispers " Son you beat this Gaston fella we can get your badger. And find your sanity later. That's a joke son. Pay attention son. Now you go and break his arm."

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gaston's face falls at the kenku's words. "This boy challenge Gaston? I would feel bad for breaking the lad's arm. Come now, surely you're not so cowardly as to send a boy to do a man's job?"

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "One thing I've learned, its how to smell fear...and right now you are reaking of it, Gastrop. Scared the boy might beat you?"

Insight check:
    1d20+16 = 36

Daig turns from Gaston to the crowd: "The mighty Gestron is afraid of the skinny, beardless dwarf child!"

Finally Daig whispers to the gnome, "Allright, son, you've got him running scared allready, press your advantage! When he leasts suspects it, give him the ol' fork in the eye!"

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    "Gaston is afraid of nothing! Come then boy! But don't say I didn't give you a chance to back down."

To your

Gaston clomps his way back to his chair and readies himself to arm wrassle while one of the barmaids faints at the prospect of the doom imminent to the poor boy's arm.

Round 3 progress: One success, no failures.

Primary Skill:
    Round 1 - Athletics (DC: 27) Five successes before three failures. Clear!
    Round 2 - Athletics (DC: 26) Five successes before three failures. Failed.
    Round 3 - Athletics (DC: 25) Five successes before three failures.

Secondary Skills:
    Diplomacy (26)
    Bluff (26)
    Intimidate (26)
    Insight (23) Used
    Streetwise (24)

The next Athletics check currently receives a +2 bonus.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Ooh! Games! I love games! How many broken bones counts as a win?" squeaked the Gnome, suddenly turning a disturbing grin on Gaston that made it look as if he really meant it...

Intimidate: 1d20+17 29

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Krikkit isn't so great at the remaining support skills. Would you allow an Acrobatics check to catch Francis the badger in order to calm the Gnome down and prepare him for wrasslin,' Kelor?

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Same here (with regards to support skills). Ronen will just watch how the match goes.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Go for it Saurfang. Need to have the gnome's mind at ease so he can concentrate on his match.

DC23: You can make as many of those as you need to till you catch the badger with a successful one.

This is the mental image I get from Mr Rose's last post.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Round 3 progress: Two successes, no failures.

Primary Skill:

Secondary Skills:
    Diplomacy (26)
    Bluff (26)
    Intimidate (26) Used
    Insight (23) Used
    Streetwise (24)

The next Athletics check currently receives a +4 bonus.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Hokay, you ready silly big man?" squeaked the Gnome, before grabbing Gaston's poor doomed hand in a bone-crushing grip.

Athletics: 1d20+15+4 32
    EDIT: Uh. Firefox just crashed on me, stupid betas. Looks like Orokos registered two rolls there; gonna use the first one since it includes the modifier.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A look of horror dawns on Gaston's face as the gnome in the opposing chair begins to slowly bend his arm backwards to the table top. Gathering his own not inconsiderable strength he attempts to push back against the midget tide.

Round 3 progress: Three successes, no failures.

Primary Skill:

Secondary Skills:
    Diplomacy (26)
    Bluff (26)
    Intimidate (26) Used
    Insight (23) Used
    Streetwise (24)

The next Athletics check currently receives a +0 bonus.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    We seem to be in a bit of a tight spot here as far as 2ndary skills go...maybe we can hav Foghorn step in with a bluff?

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Foghorn turns to the crowd and starts swinging his arms wildly as he explains " This here boy is a legend in my parts. This here is a legendary warrior known in every part of the world. Except here apparently. So i say take a note and cheer for the right man. The boy is the right man if you're not the sharpest knife in the pile. And i am a person you can trust people :winky: ."

Bluff check:
    1d20+21: 28

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The words echoed in Krikkit's head: "Do you think you could help me get my badger back?" I will not fail my new friend. Francis the badger was a blur of motion, scurrying around on tavern tables and peering out from between the legs of spectators. The kobold assumed a meditative posture, widening the stance of his legs with his bony palms pressed together in front of him. He inhaled deeply through his wheezy nostrils and closed his eyes, calmy concentrating.

Suddenly, there was a moment too fast to see, and at the end of it, Krikkit had a pair of chopsticks in one hand and a badger in another. Slurping up the shrimp on the end of the chopsticks, the little reptile-man grinned. "Badger is safe and sound!"

Badger-catchin' acrobatics: 1d20+16=24 success!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mind now at ease, The Gnome focuses his attention at full upon his erstwhile opponent and his opponent's normally firm jaw goes slack as he proceeds to steadily force Gaston's arm to the tabletop.

The spectators cheer in triumph as a loser has finally been decided to pay for drinks, their dismay at Gaston's loss somewhat offset by the sight of the barkeep filling up flagons of ale. Disengaging from the barbarian, Gaston rises and nods to Lefou who gives a sigh and pulls a money pouch from his belt and mopes over to the bar keep. Gaston, still not particulary gracious in defeat stands in front of his chair cradling his wrist with his other hand as the crush of visitors moves away from him towards the bar.

Skill challenge complete!

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Now, why were we doing that again?" said the Gnome to his new friends, before spotting that Krikkit had Francis. "Francis! You found him!"

Yay victory! But the Gnome's question goes for me too; what are we doing exactly?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The story kicks off on page three, but the gist of it is that you've been hired by Duke Nelson to investigate Kincep Mansion, where he suspects something has gone amiss as many people have begun disappearing over the last few months, culminating in the heir to the throne, Prince William vanishing last night en route to Jastonbury.

The Captain of the Watch has had you brought back to the city and had suggested you have a word with Gaston, who so far has been the only person to survive one of these attacks.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Now I say now that the last of our champion here has broken your hand Gayson,Jason or whatever your name was can we have the information we came here for." Foghorn gestures at Lefou. " Boy come here and write what this hunter says." Foghorn pulls up a chair and sits down like he owns the place. "We're listening"

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Oh yay, story time! I love stories!" proclaimed the gnome. "Especially true ones!" he continued with a disturbingly needle-toothed grin at Gaston before pulling a mostly intact stool from the wreckage of his pursuit of Francis, who seemed to have disappeared again.

Intimidate: 1d20+17 27 One last menace to make sure he gets it right, yes? Also, Francis is now in passive mode.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Not broken, just sprained I think." Eyeing the innocent face of the deceptively strong gnome, Gaston's face sets grimly and he indicates to move closer to the hearth where you won't be as easily heard by the bar room's residents.

"It's an ugly business. It was just over three weeks ago, I went hunting that night with a few of my friends. Men I'd grown up with from boyhood. We didn't bring torches with us to avoid scaring away the game but it was a clear night with no clouds and plenty of light so that wasn't an issue.

"We'd gone to the woodlands south of Jastonbury and I took two bucks, one with eight points, another with a dozen." Gaston looks over to make sure the group is suitably impressed by this feat, then resumes his tale. "We were following a game trail when I spotted a third and was looking down the arrow when it bolted. I turned to yell at the others for scaring it off when some sort of beast came flying out from off the trail behind us and slammed into poor Claude."

Gaston pauses for a moment, then makes his way to the bar to get a stiff drink to fortify himself. (And you know he's worried when HE'S buying his own drink.)

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Could you possibly describe this beast? Any features that you could discern from it?" Ronen asks the hunter, he himself quite curious about the creature.

This could be the next challenge the Swordmage was looking for...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    While Gaston is gone to the bar, Daig fills the group in on the time that he nearly took a 12 point Ogre in single combat. He then explains that an Ogre's "points" are measured by counting the ears he keeps as trophies around his neck. "I would have had him, had my old neck wound not flared up. A long time ago I took an arrow through the windpipe...neck's never been the same since...Elf bastard..."

Daig hardly notices Gaston's return, as his neck has seemed to suddenly be bothering him.

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    "It was a wolf. The biggest wolf I've ever seen. The biggest wolf you'll ever see. Big as a draft horse and teeth the length of your forearm. It ripped Claude's throat out while it was sitting on him and turned over to us. That's when the howling started, all through the trees around us. Marc and Philippe dropped the wagon we were carrying the bucks in and started running down the road, I hit the beast with an arrow in it's shoulder that it barely noticed and followed the others.

"There we a short way down the road and I caught up quickly, I could hear the beasts behind us, their panting, the growls and howls behind us. There was a tree up a ahead, a huge oak with low branches that I pointed towards and we began run faster towards it. Then I heard Philippe scream just as we began to make our way up the hill. I reached the base first and made a stirrup from my hands for Marc and hurled him up the tree then swung up to the lowest branch just as they reached us. They'd slowed for a moment to kill Philippe and that gave me the time to get the, I felt it's jaws snap shut as my feet left the ground.

"They couldn't get to us just then, we were too high up, so while they were grouped about the trunk I took another arrow and shot one through the leg. Eventually I emptied half my quiver into them, but the blasted things healed as fast as I could hurt them. Then one of them somehow managed to get up into the tree next to us and jumped across, grabbing Marc by the arm and dragged him down onto the ground. The fall didn't just hurt Marc though, I heard bones snap as it hit the ground and it didn't move. I shot another three arrows into it to make sure, then a few minutes later it picked itself up with my arrows still in it and started feeding what was left of Marc." Gaston slugs back the last of his drink before continuing.

"I was worried at this point, if they could climb trees who's to say what else the beasts could do? So I climbed up to the highest point on the tree that could bear my weight and waited the damned things out. Fortunately they upped and left four or five hours later. Not that that means anything to Claude, Marc and Philippe."

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Krikkit nodded in sympathy. "These beasts are truly powerful. We must find a way to still them forever."

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Foghorn jumps from the chair and puts his wing(?) on Gaston's shoulder. " Listen Caston we will bear this problem for you and will bearly have to lift a finger." The kenku walks away dramatically snickering while heading for the exit. Passing by Krikkit he whispers " I will be at the fletcher little buddy.Need some arrows.When we can go please come get me."

Huh.. forum doesn't recognize the world fletcher. [Middle English fleccher, from Old French flechier, from fleche, arrow, of Germanic origin.](I'm smart.)

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gaston rubs his lantern jaw with one hand as he looks at you all together, then begins to pace back and forth. "Everyone around here knows there's something strange going on at the Kincep place. Since the attack I've tried to get onto the grounds a half a dozen times but Captain Tee has posted guards there to stop anyone going in. But if you have permission to go there then I'm going too. The guards won't notice and extra person and I want one of those beasts to stick up on the mantle."

The colour having returned to his face after a stiff drink Gaston stands. "Besides, the mighty Gaston will is the greatest hunter in these parts. Why, once I took down an rampaging ox with a single punch." He flexes several times to show off his array of bulging muscles.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nature Check to see if Daig knows what Gaston is talking about.
    1d20+16= 28

Assume, if Daig knows anything, he shares it with the group in adequately dramatic fashion.

Smoove Operator on