As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] The Haunting of Kincep Mansion - What Dwells in Yonder Stable?

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My apologies to you all, I've been unvailable to update the thread over the weekend. But am doing so now!

Smoove, Daig racks his memory and while there are some varieties of wolves that could grow as large as the ones Gaston described (and assuming he's not exaggeratin) none are native to this area and none possess the regenerative qualities he mentioned.

"So then lads, when do we leave?"

Kelor on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "We leave as soon as everyone is able, if not sooner..." replies the eager Deva, as he inspects his gear (and sword) one more time, making sure he was prepared to face a beast matching Gaston's description. This would be fun, he mused to himself.

Satisfied with his own preperations, he turns to Gaston (as well as to the rest of the group), crossing his arms. "Well, ready when you lads are!", he says, a wry smile forming on his lips.
    !Ready

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Krikkit pressed his palms together and bowed. "Great kobold philosopher Funkooshus say, 'the time is always now,'" he sqeaked solemnly. He turned his oddly cherubic lizardfice up, looking quizzical. "Actually, I think he was talking about eating. 'The time is always now for eating!' Or was he talking about making traps?" The little monk shrugged away his thoughtful cast and nodded firmly. "Still applies!"

Saurfang on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Scary stories are the best stories! We should go find these wolves and give them a scary story to tell their friends in exchange for the one they gave you!" squeaked the Gnome up at Gaston. "I bet we can come up with a good one" he continued, patting the strap holding the sheathed blade on his back.

!Ready

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "That's the attitude lad!" Caught up in the moment, Gaston forgets any pain in his wrist as he finally gets a chance to enact his revenge. "Well then, what are we waiting for? Lefou, get my bow!"

Appropriate.

Kelor on
  • Options
    PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    !ready if somebody comes get me :(

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I will have a further post up tonight, so I you have time to do any last minute shopping before Gaston drags you to the Kincep Estate.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The crowd follows you along the streets of Jastonbury till you reach the outskirts, from which it is a short walk to the gates allowing entry to the estate.

Two of the Duke's guards stand by the gates, exchanging nervous looks at the band of adventurer's advancing towards them. They do recognise Gaston however and each begins to elbow the other while conversing in whispers loud enough that you can head them as you approach.

"Iss him, I tells ya. Iss him!"

"Yeah, but you know the capt'n specifically said he couldn't go through."

"Iss Gaston though, hiss practic'ly famous! Hiss suppos'd to 'ave wrestled a boar the size of wagon 'imself! Iss in the pub!"

"The capt'n though, he said 'on no accounts' was he to be let in!"

"You can't stop 'im! The poor man is besieged wiv grief! Ee'll root out whateva got Jaime and the boys."

"Strict instructions by the capt'n himself. And 'ee got 'em from the Duke!"

"Jus' let the man go past, those blokes with 'im look plenty tough."

"Look at them titchy ones though, they're kids!"

"Gaston wouldn't bring 'em wit' him if he wouldn't be able to look after 'em. Jus' turn about and look the other way."

"All right, all right, it's your soddin' fault if the capt'n 'ears about this though."

The two guards assume a pose of studied ignorance and each faces away from the other as you arrive.

"You clod, iss locked! Unlock it for 'em quick like!"

The second guard stumbles over the gate and fumbles with the key until it is unlocked, the steps aside, having managed to not look at you throughout the exercise. Gaston claps each on the back as you go past, rattling their armour. As you walk past each is standing stiffly upright, fairly thrumming with happiness and once you are past the gates the whispering continues.

"Eee touched me! Thass practically a handshake! Wait till we tell the boys back at the keep! We'll be famous too!"

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You pass the gates as the sun is beginning it's descent and inside the path disappears, vines and scrub choke the trees on either side disolving into a gnarled thicket of weathered apple trees. Nowhere can you see a straight or healthy bough in the lot.

The ground is a matted with fallen leaves, limbs and twigs that have fallen from their parents and rotted fruit scatters the ground. In fact, you can only see a few straggling weeds poking out among them, so wide spread is the refuse.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No exploring? Okay.

Hidden throughout the orchard are rusted tools, buckets and the occasional ladder, all lying in wait for a unwary traveller to trip over. Two areas attract your attention, a grouping of outlying buildings to the right of the hill around the overgrowth and a what could be called a track in only the most generous of terms that appears to make it's way up towards the mansion.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah nothing major i bought some arrows.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ronen scanned along the path the group walked on, till he spotted the outlying buildings.

"If there are bandits, or giant wolves (or whatever) here, 5 gold pieces say that they might've posted a guard or two yonder buildings."
    he says, as he points towards those buildings.

"I suggest we start there, if only to make sure we don't leave them the option of attacking us from behind. What say the rest of you?"

Ronen votes to check out the outlying buildings

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Hmmm, Ringo is making sense. If it'll ease anyone's mind I can sneak on over there and have a look see." As Daig spoke the words he was already smearing his face with mud from the ground. "Don't want anything getting the drop on us."

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Krikkit nodded. Then he started speaking in a strangely stilted way, counting something on his fingers.

"Kobolds are sneaky
    Too; When in shadows I am
    Very hard to see."

The little reptile bowed solemnly, then beamed at his comrades, looking for approval.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Foghorn looks at Krikkit looking concerned " Little buddy i say little buddy are you alright? You started talking all jibberish we got i say we already got a boy that ain't got all his marbles.If this beast we are hunting is really that dangerous i recommend we don't split. Split up that is."

I'm up for whatever the group consensus is.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Francis likes sneaking, don't you Francis?" said the Gnome, reaching behind his back to pull the creature from a space clearly far to small to actually contain it. "He can go with you maybe? Dig under the door?"

Francis in active mode and ready to follow people wherever.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Allright, me and the kobold will take a look." Daig addresses Krikkit, "For this mission you will be Kingpin and I'll be Digeridoo. Callsigns keep the enemy from identifying us if they intercept our communications. Lets go, Kingpin."

Daig begins his trip to the outbuildings, rolling quickly from cover to cover and throwing indecipherable hand signs to Krikkit along the way.

Stealth to a good vantage point near the outbuildings:
    1d20+16 = 24
    Perception to see what I see when we get there:
    1d20+18 = 26
    I dont exactly know how group stealth works, so just let me know if there is anything else I need to know.

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    The outlying buildings seem too short by a couple of feet, until you realise that due to the fertilisation of the rotting fruit has helped the scrub grow and held the dirt together, raising the height of the ground here.

The buildings themselves contain more odds and ends, rusted pieces of distillation equipment and a few cracked and cobwebbed bottles that smell faintly of cider. The growth further along the orchard seems less prolific and the sloping path up the hill and across a stream offers another alternative to the rough track farther back to reach the mansion proper.

Group stealth is pretty much everyone making a check. You can aid others making checks but everyone makes one as you go along.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Kingpin" takes his commitment to stealthiness seriously. Becoming as a shadow, Krikkit is soundless and almost invisible. When he is inevitably stepped on by his companions, he makes no sound. Must not be seen...ow, my face.

Kingpin tries to signal to Digeridoo, indicating that he likes the look of thr sloping path.
    stealth: 1d20+18=34
    Perception: 1d20+10=19

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Does this group stealth check only apply to Daig and Krikkit (since they volunteered to scout it out), or is the whole group moving to the buildings?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Gnome is only moving close enough to stay in control of Francis, and Francis is moving underground (burrow 2) so I kinda need a map...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I was assuming that Daig and Krikkit went up, and are now reporting back their findings.

Daig motions his approval back to Krikkit and slowly returns to the group. When they arrive back to the waiting party, Daig reports, "Didn't see anything nasty up there. Theres another path, though. Me and Kingpin think it looks marginally safer than the straight shot." With that he spits on the ground, probably a little too close to Gaston's shoe for comfort.

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I thought the 2 boys were going to scout and we big loud folk are waiting ?

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They did, Smoove was just asking how group stealth worked. Daig and Krikkit just checked out the place by themselves.

There appear to be two ways there though, one is up the path and the other through the orchards.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So whats the plan, gents? I vote for the sloping path through the orchard. Krikkit seemed to like that way, too.

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I vote on that too. Rhough it is tempting for Ronen to continue with the previous trail, if we can save any survivors, then he'll grudgingly resist the challenge to move onward, and tkae the more safer path.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Gnome cares not where The Gnome goes so long as The Gnome gets to hit things, or at least throw Francis at them, when we get there.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay then guys, give me a ready! and a direction so we can start rescuing princes and killing dudes.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    !ready
    As Daig surmised, Krikkit opts for the sloping path.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    !Ready

What Saurfang said!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    !Ready

Sloping path I guess.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    !Ready
    Sloppy path.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    born !ready for the even the slopiest paths

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Picking your way through the rotting fields you begin to make your way through the overgrown orchards. As the hill slopes upwards you spy a platform standing two feet above the ground. Approaching you realise it is another buried outbuilding but the dirt piled up around the sides is higher than any of the others, most likely from debris coming down the hill.

Just before the stump of a building a gully cuts into the ground. A stream runs at the bottom and thorny vines have flourished around it, inch long thorns protruding from the trunks. Bridging the gap is a sad and decrepit looking wooden footbridge, weathered and rotted looking. Daid steps forward, testing it's weight beneath a foot.

The planks hold and you make it across though they squeak and creak ominously underfoot when a sharp howl echoes through the air.

Alright gentlemen, roll me some perception!
    OrchardAmbush-Round1Prep.jpg

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Perception vs howl.: 1d20+7 18 Also, Francis is active and should be next to the Gnome.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Looks like IT found us. Good! I hate to keep the bastard waiting!" replies the careful, though still entusiastic, Swordmage to the sharp howl...

"Only question is... where is it coming from?"

Perception Check: 13 D:

Edit: Can Ronen also unsheathe his sword right about now? Or do I have to wait for (the inevitable) battle?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You have time to ready a weapon as you hear the howl, yep.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    Then yeah, definitely doing that.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kelor wrote: »

Yeah, What Rose said. I'ma drawin' my sword!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Krikkit slaps his walking staff into his open palm, holding the stick at an angle in front of him. It's surprisingly menacing.

Perception: 1d20+10=30

Saurfang on