Options

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Man, absolutely nothing about the Droid 2. I generally hate touch-screen only phones, but it's time for a new phone and I want a fancypants Droid. Can I bring myself to unhate touch-screens enough to get a Droid X?

I was in the same boat when I picked up my Droid 1 (I guess we have to make that distinction now). Honestly though, after about two weeks of having access to both I stopped using the physical keyboard altogether and wish I had gotten a screen-only. The Droid X looks great; if I had gobs of cash lying around I would upgrade. As it is, the D1 is still only 7-8 months old... tech is moving too fast. :(

Michael H on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    Man, absolutely nothing about the Droid 2. I generally hate touch-screen only phones, but it's time for a new phone and I want a fancypants Droid. Can I bring myself to unhate touch-screens enough to get a Droid X?

I was in the same boat when I picked up my Droid 1 (I guess we have to make that distinction now). Honestly though, after about two weeks of having access to both I stopped using the physical keyboard altogether and wish I had gotten a screen-only. The Droid X looks great; if I had gobs of cash lying around I would upgrade. As it is, the D1 is still only 7-8 months old... tech is moving too fast. :(

Anyone who is eligible for an upgrade any time in 2010 is able to take advantage of that upgrade immediately for a Droid X. Don't know if that helps or not.

Yeah, I agree that tech is moving fast. Normally I don't pay attention because my phones have a 2-3 year lifespan, but I'm jumping the gun this time.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So the 2.2 source is online apparently, means we can expect froyo on the desire etc soon.

Alegis on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    2.2 is headed for the original droid in july now, according to droid life

hooraayyy

Snork on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Snork wrote: »
    2.2 is headed for the original droid in july now, according to droid life

hooraayyy

Now to see if Motorola manages the 2.2 update like the 2.1. It says July there but for all we know it might not hit until September.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    no kidding D:

Snork on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And so ends my journey to get a Nexus. The reason I kept getting cockblocked was because they don't offer it to Family Plan members. You know how much they hate saving me money.

If anyone recommends me an alternative I can get from t-mobile directly, I'm open to suggestions.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    And so ends my journey to get a Nexus. The reason I kept getting cockblocked was because they don't offer it to Family Plan members. You know how much they hate saving me money.

If anyone recommends me an alternative I can get from t-mobile directly, I'm open to suggestions.

you could buy a nexus full cost and put it on your family plan (I'm assuming you don't want to, though)

The myTouch Slide is a nice phone, and it will probably the first of Tmo's current line-up to recieve 2.2

The Samsung Galaxy S is running a 1Ghz hummingbird processor, and has a SuperAMOLED screen, but it's not out yet.

The Samsung Behold II is not very great at all, but it is free with activation/full upgrade now, if I remember correctly, and finally being updated to 1.6

Evander on
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So is there a better music-syncing iTunes-esque program besides the ass-tasticly slow DoubleTwist?

Since I found the wonderful Google Listen for podcasts, only the loss of a decent sync program is keeping me from replacing my iPod completely.

Well, a 32GB microSD couldn't hurt... ;)

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    So the 2.2 source is online apparently, means we can expect froyo on the desire etc soon.

The cynic in me doubts this very much.

Edit: Sidenote - Anyone with an HTC Desire having weird things happen with the Auto Backlighting option? Like, I was just running through some vocab cards with my phone laying on my desk, and the screen would dim then brighten again every so often. Really obnoxious >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nope, doesn't brighten up here unless I press the button. I don't think it switches on when I get a message (have pop-up notification enabled through handcent) but I could be mistaken.

Alegis on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    So is there a better music-syncing iTunes-esque program besides the ass-tasticly slow DoubleTwist?

Since I found the wonderful Google Listen for podcasts, only the loss of a decent sync program is keeping me from replacing my iPod completely.

Could you help me with Listen? I love it, but I dont think it's working.

The only podcast I have right now is the Adam Carolla podcast. I searched Carolla, found the most recent episode, and hit "queue". Then I hit "Subscribe". Its set to update every 8 hours.

Two days go by, and there's nothing new in my queue. Just the one episode I manually downloaded. Searching "Carolla" again gives me the 2 newest, and still says "Subscribe" under it.

Ive never used RSS stuff (its the one aspect of the internets that I really just never got on board with. I am so overwhelmed by it.), so I have no idea if Im telling it to subscribe to ONE episode (which would make sense that no others ever appear), or what's going on.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nope, doesn't brighten up here unless I press the button. I don't think it switches on when I get a message (have pop-up notification enabled through handcent) but I could be mistaken.

Hm... maybe it's the optical trackpad somehow?...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I haven't been able to find one that managed to sync my music, playlists, and album art. Doubletwist just managed to be completely useless because it couldn't find any of my preexisting playlists at all, and won't allow me to point it directly to the files that contain them. So I'm writing my own open source one.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Anyone who is eligible for an upgrade any time in 2010 is able to take advantage of that upgrade immediately for a Droid X. Don't know if that helps or not.

Yeah, I agree that tech is moving fast. Normally I don't pay attention because my phones have a 2-3 year lifespan, but I'm jumping the gun this time.

How would I know if I'm eligible? I just left Sprint to sign up with Verizon in February.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

My desire will brighten up (for a few seconds) when I plug out the charger, so if it happens during it being plugged in I assume the problem is your power supply giving irregular bursts.

optical pad here doesn't wake up my phone when the screen's gone black (only that power button on top does)

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

How would I know if I'm eligible? I just left Sprint to sign up with Verizon in February.

Log into your account and find the upgrade phone section. It should list when your account is eligible. If you just switched in February you probably aren't.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Log into your account and find the upgrade phone section. It should list when your account is eligible. If you just switched in February you probably aren't.

10/23/11... looks like I'll just hold out for Droid 4.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

Could you help me with Listen? I love it, but I dont think it's working.

The only podcast I have right now is the Adam Carolla podcast. I searched Carolla, found the most recent episode, and hit "queue". Then I hit "Subscribe". Its set to update every 8 hours.

Two days go by, and there's nothing new in my queue. Just the one episode I manually downloaded. Searching "Carolla" again gives me the 2 newest, and still says "Subscribe" under it.

Ive never used RSS stuff (its the one aspect of the internets that I really just never got on board with. I am so overwhelmed by it.), so I have no idea if Im telling it to subscribe to ONE episode (which would make sense that no others ever appear), or what's going on.

hmmm that's interesting.

I only just got it yesterday but:

1. When you subscribe, it adds them to your google reader account. If you have a google account, you have a reader account, but you might now have set it up. Try going to reader.google.com and see if the podcasts are showing up there.

2. Make sure you have enough space for podcasts to download on your SD card.

just some quick thoughts. Maybe someone who's had the program longer can be of more help

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've been using Listen for a while, and it's still very much a Google Labs project, emphasis on the Labs. I've experienced the same issue with several podcasts, while others update just as they should. Updating to the most recent version (if you haven't already) has reduced the number of times this happens, but at this point I think it's not-quite-perfect. :\ Sometimes doing the manual refresh will work, but if not I would just find the most recent and add it to your queue.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So, I think I've finally persuaded myself to just suck up my hate for touchscreen only phones and pick up the X. I usually don't like to buy first gen of anything, because there's always some problems that end up being corrected with a reissue 6 months later. What are the most anticipated problems that the X might have?

Edit: Holy shit.

droid-vs-iphone-001-hands.jpg

More behind spoiler.
    droid-vs-iphone-005-top.jpg

droid-vs-iphone-004-top.jpg

droid-vs-iphone-002-top.jpg

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's pretty awesome.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm almost terrified by it. It's so huge.

I mean, with a bulge like that in your pants you might worry about drawing attention or having it become uncomfortable.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm almost terrified by it. It's so huge.

I mean, with a bulge like that in your pants you might worry about drawing attention or having it become uncomfortable.

I mean, it's huge, and looks menacing compared to an Iphone. But if you watch a video of it being reviewed, it isn't that big I suppose. I was still shocked when i saw photos of it because of how HUGE it looks. I'd have to really play with this in person to actually form an opinion, but I'd say that this thing might be too big. And the camera thing doesn't bother me at all, just the fucking L x W.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Interesting, google can remotely delete applications from phones
    http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/06/exercising-our-remote-application.html
    Every now and then, we remove applications from Android Market due to violations of our Android Market Developer Distribution Agreement or Content Policy. In cases where users may have installed a malicious application that poses a threat, we’ve also developed technologies and processes to remotely remove an installed application from devices. If an application is removed in this way, users will receive a notification on their phone.

Recently, we became aware of two free applications built by a security researcher for research purposes. These applications intentionally misrepresented their purpose in order to encourage user downloads, but they were not designed to be used maliciously, and did not have permission to access private data — or system resources beyond permission.INTERNET. As the applications were practically useless, most users uninstalled the applications shortly after downloading them.

After the researcher voluntarily removed these applications from Android Market, we decided, per the Android Market Terms of Service, to exercise our remote application removal feature on the remaining installed copies to complete the cleanup.

The remote application removal feature is one of many security controls Android possesses to help protect users from malicious applications. In case of an emergency, a dangerous application could be removed from active circulation in a rapid and scalable manner to prevent further exposure to users. While we hope to not have to use it, we know that we have the capability to take swift action on behalf of users’ safety when needed.

This remote removal functionality — along with Android’s unique Application Sandbox and Permissions model, Over-The-Air update system, centralized Market, developer registrations, user-submitted ratings, and application flagging — provides a powerful security advantage to help protect Android users in our open environment.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    On the one hand it seems a bit big brotherly. On the other hand they say they'll only use it for actually malicious software. On the third hand, because I am a mutant, they then used the feature to remove an app that, while not what it represented itself as, did not pose any security risk at all. Hmm. In the end I'm going to say that I trust Google a bit more than I trust most companies to not fuck around here.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On the one hand it seems a bit big brotherly. On the other hand they say they'll only use it for actually malicious software. On the third hand, because I am a mutant, they then used the feature to remove an app that, while not what it represented itself as, did not pose any security risk at all. Hmm. In the end I'm going to say that I trust Google a bit more than I trust most companies to not fuck around here.

There really should be a prompt that comes up "Hey, we've found out that app x is trying to f you in the a. We're gonna remove it. Cool? [Yes] [No]"

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited June 2010

There really should be a prompt that comes up "Hey, we've found out that app x is trying to f you in the a. We're gonna remove it. Cool? [Yes] [No]"

Agreed. The device owner should have control over it in some way.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Seems like they're treating it as an emergency option. ie. in cases in which no sane person would actually want that shit on their phone.

They're being very open about it at least. I suppose you could just reinstall the app if you have the installer somewhere.

Alegis on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jonxp wrote: »

I haven't been able to find one that managed to sync my music, playlists, and album art. Doubletwist just managed to be completely useless because it couldn't find any of my preexisting playlists at all, and won't allow me to point it directly to the files that contain them. So I'm writing my own open source one.

MediaMonkey will sync music and playlists. I have album art embedded in my files and it handles those fine. Don't know about when they're in separate files.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Seems like they're treating it as an emergency option. ie. in cases in which no sane person would actually want that shit on their phone.

They're being very open about it at least. I suppose you could just reinstall the app if you have the installer somewhere.

Right, that's what they're supposed to do. But then they use it to uninstall an app that was not doing anything damaging, nor capable of doing anything, but which misrepresented its purpose.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »

MediaMonkey will sync music and playlists. I have album art embedded in my files and it handles those fine. Don't know about when they're in separate files.

Is it faster less of a headache that doubletwist?

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So the Samsung Galaxy S - any thoughts? It isn't on the market here yet but it will be soon

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I've never used doubletwist to sync, but MediaMonkey is pretty fast and powerful. You can pick what you want to sync, where you sync it on the SD card and if you want to delete files on the device that have been removed from the PC (with an exemption list). It seems to sync as fast as iTunes did with my Touch.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

That's my problem, they're all separate files. I'll give it a shot though.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

My desire will brighten up (for a few seconds) when I plug out the charger, so if it happens during it being plugged in I assume the problem is your power supply giving irregular bursts.

optical pad here doesn't wake up my phone when the screen's gone black (only that power button on top does)

Hm... bad phrasing on my part.

Like, I have my phone sitting in front of me, flat on the desk. I'm using AnkiDroid on the phone to run through some Japanese flash cards, and without touching the phone at all, the screen darkens a bit, then brightens again. It doesn't turn off and then on, it just gets dimmer, then brighter. I'm using the Auto Backlight option, so the phone manages screen brightness, but should it really be brightening when I'm not moving it at all? o_O

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I've never used doubletwist to sync, but MediaMonkey is pretty fast and powerful. You can pick what you want to sync, where you sync it on the SD card and if you want to delete files on the device that have been removed from the PC (with an exemption list). It seems to sync as fast as iTunes did with my Touch.

Sounds promising, thanks

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there a consensus on what the best task management app is? I'd love one with a decent widget, but it's not a requirement. Paid is fine as well.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Astro File Manager. It's installed already for file management (unless you hate things that are good) and will never run in the background unless you want it to. In the rare instance you actually have to kick something out of RAM it just takes an extra step or two.

Android has excellent task management built in so you never have to worry about that shit, but in the rare instance something won't force close, Astro is there.

JAEF on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, pretty much any Android user's life, thanks largely to people (paid bloggers) who have to churn out "tips and tricks" constantly before they really know what they're doing themselves, is:

Get phone > excitedly read some blog posts > begin vicious cycle of obsessing over memory, task killers, etc. > forget more and more to bother with tasks > realize the phone is running as well, if not better (fewer broken widgets, force closes) > realize that the grouchy oldbies who said Android handles memory automatically were right > become a grumpy oldbie.

Incidentally, Astro is good, but Estrongs has a less annoying UI (looks/works more like a traditional, desktop file explorer), does everything Astro does, and has built in, well-integrated Windows (SMB) networking, so you can browse your local network shares as easily as your SD card. But yeah, they both work fine for file chores and closing programs. ;P

gilrain on
This discussion has been closed.