As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e PbP] The Serpent Swallows its Tail (OOC)

• Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yea, but the good thing with the flaming sphere is every round he takes an automatic 1d4+4 fire damage, and who knows what will happen if someone else steps on the disc.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Give me a knowledge arcana, rolan.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    unfortunatly i think most everyone had their eyes on the hallway, and now have no idea where you are :( at least you have a second wind which im pretty sure the hexer doesn't.

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have an idea that might do something - slim chance of working, but waiting until i have a chance to try it IC.

MidrealmDM wrote: »
    "Well seeing as how we don't know where it goes, nor if we can find a way back... I vote for the door. Wait here for a minute."
    Rolan oblivious to what is going on places his hands on the disc and climbs on top of it. Giving the disc one last look over before he gives up on it.

You would think a wizard with high Intelligence AND Wisdom would know better. :P

MidrealmDM on
    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    HP: 18/29 | Surge Value: 7 (7/7) | AP 1/1
    AC 15 | Fort 13 | Ref 15 | Will 16
    Insight: 16 | Perception: 19
    Condition: Concealment until EoMNT, +2 Bonus to all Def until EoMNT
    Darkspiral Aura: 0
    Cursed: Drake, Boss
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well our characters dont know him super well yet, maybe his mother was killed by a goblin hexer and he will have his revenge regardless of the cost to himself?...eh probably not :P

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Woogity wrote: »
    well our characters dont know him super well yet, maybe his mother was killed by a goblin hexer and he will have his revenge regardless of the cost to himself?...eh probably not :P

Maybe he's mildly retarded, or maybe he just has a death wish? ;)

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    if he has a death wish can we start calling him Charles Bronson?....too deep?

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think it's a case of curiosity over caution - at least from a character's perspective.

I'm out - I need to get some work done today :( be back in about 2 or 3 hours.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Edited my turn to show slight change due to Snowdown's response

Edited my turn to show penatlies for running
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=16219260#post16219260
    Grant Combat advantage until Start of my next turn
    -5 on attacks until Start of my next turn

And, yes, I know I probably didn't have to have Toman run,
    but realistically, he wouldn't just stroll casually back down the hall.

At least IMHO.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arcana: 1d20+11 = 27

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OK CP, I'm gonna throw you a bone here.

When you moved, it was almost like the silvery expanse moved under you, and you and the goblin just didn't go anywhere. You didn't get any closer or farther away. that's why the goblin didn't hit you with a spell as his readied attack, which could've blinded and hurt much more....because when you appeared, it was right next to him, even though he tried to move awyay.

So, what's making you so sure that if you move on your next turn, the pillars will do any damage?

Or, is Rolan just taking a life threatening gamble, when he could just as easily drop a cloud of daggers, and likely kill the goblin in 1 turn while only taking 3 damage from himself? ;)

Let me know if you want to change your mind. I've already rolled the goblin's OA against you for a ranged spell, whichever choice you pick. i'll post that result after you decide.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Rolan doesn't have cloud of daggers, and the storm pillars only do damage on the enemies turn, so I have to wait with a readied action until it is his turn...THEN I can move, causing him to move with me. Unless you want to allow my movement to count as a movement on his turn as well which I will gladly take the move then. I believe the idea with the spell is that it doesn't count with a push/pull/slide thing

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Generally - according to WotC - forced movement doesn't trigger these effects.

When you say "the entire space moves with you, including the goblin"

Does this mean the golbin is pulled (CP moves and then the goblin is pulled a into an adjacent square)

Or does it mean Everything moves - including the goblin's cloud
    If everything moves, then it follows that the storm pillars would move as well, and (in effect) the goblin does not get moved away from the pillars, and whether forced movement would trigger it becomes moot.

=-=-=

For clarity's sake, it might be better to phrase it thusly:
    If you move, the entire space moves with you, including the goblin.
    Essentially, you are immobilized indefinitely.

IMMOBILIZED
    ✦ You can’t move from your space, although you can teleport and can be forced to move by a pull, a push, or a slide.

But this would mean a bull rush attack could seperate the two of you by pushing the enemy away.
    - since I am not sure what the desired effect of the mystery space is, I don't know if this would be appropriate either.

Edit:
    Alternatively
    RESTRAINED
    ✦ You grant combat advantage.
    ✦ You’re immobilized.
    ✦ You can’t be forced to move by a pull, a push, or a slide.
    ✦ You take a –2 penalty to attack rolls.

If both you and the hexer are 'restrained' the -2 attack and +2 from combat advantage is a wash.
    And it answers the question about movement with crystal clarity.

=-=-=-

One option to defeat the Hexer, instead of storm pillars, try Orbmaster's Detonation.
    Because it is an area effect - it ignores concealment, so instead of -4 you have only a -2 to hit.
    (still provokes opportunity attack) If you miss, you still have the zone to deal 2 damage (unfortunately
    to you as well), and by extending the duration you can deal another 2 to the goblin only (minimum 4 points)

The hexer has a Reflex of 15... so with a +2 (+4 from Int and -2 from cloud) you just need a 13 or higher... 40% chance of hitting. Thats not great, but still pretty decent - combined with Elven Accuracy your chance of hitting (out of two rolls) jumps to 64% If you miss with both and spend an AP to use Magic Missile you would need a 15 (30%) chance.

Statistically speaking your chance of missing with all three rolls is only ~10%

Edit: It might be better to use Magic Missile first; if you kill the goblin, you can save your AP. If you miss you can choose to action point = detonation; if that misses, elven accuracy.
    =-=-=-
    Edit:
    On round two, you can try a magic missile (provoking OA), or draw your dagger (please tell me you have a dagger?) and attack in melee.

This way you save you AP for later (or you can use it in round one or two if you miss with the detonation).

=-=-
    Another option for your AP is to use it to go total defense or use your second wind before you attack (in either round one or two), either one gives you a +2 defense.
    TOTAL DEFENSE: STANDARD ACTION
    ✦ +2 Bonus to All Defenses: You gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of your next turn.

Then cast a spell with your standard action, hopefully avoiding any opportunity attack with your boosted defense.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll wait to hear back from Snow and possibly retcon my post once this gets straighted out. Cause I'm not totally sure

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yea tho it provokes oas, i might keep trying spells unless you took the feat so your melee comes from your int or wiz, whatever wizards use. the goblin is still in the cloud so with a +2 bonus to your attack and a -4 to hit from the cloud vs an ac of 17...unless you crit, you are probably gonna miss. also doesn't look like you have the feat or a dagger :(

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Isn't there a feat that grants a character a +4 vs OA when casting Area or Ranged spells?
    Moot point, I know.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i think so, i think it is the third two weapon fighting feat tho, if thats not the one you are thinking of...a combo of the two could be silly

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Battle Caster Defense : You gain a +4 bonus to AC against opportunity attacks that you provoke when using a ranged or area power."

Wasn't able to find anything for two weapon - but I could have easily missed it.
    I'd like to see how/if they stack ... I wonder how high a bonus one could leagally stack onto AC vs OA.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmmm, if you started with Rogue you could get your CHA bonus to OA...then take the Sorc dip for an extra encounter power. So you could then have Battlecaster + CHA bonus...

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    o i thought you meant +4 to hit with an OA
    also smoove, do it!

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ah ok the one i was thinking of was two weapon threat which grats +3 to dmg with OA when dual wielding

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This.

Or does it mean Everything moves - including the goblin's cloud
    If everything moves, then it follows that the storm pillars would move as well, and (in effect) the goblin does not get moved away from the pillars, and whether forced movement would trigger it becomes moot.

I was trying to be slightly cryptic about it, and let you discover properties of the silvery expanse, leave a little mystery.

But the fact of the matter is, it's becoming a drag on the flow of the rest of the adventure (everyone else is waiting, because they came back for you) and it has a large likelihood of you ending unconscious, and wasting your AP.

And by saying that, I'm not trying to criticize your action, or say you did something wrong so don't worry about that. It's just a learning process with a PbP game. I should've predicted something like this could turn into a large time sink, due to posting schedule.

Just like I learned that my posting of a map, putting you into initiative, and letting you move across it/walk/take actions without something clear to fight was a large time sink...all for 1 trap.

In a tabletop game, something like this would take a matter of minutes perhaps.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    o i thought you meant +4 to hit with an OA
    Sorry for not being clear...
    also smoove, do it!
    Lol, it would make sense, in character, after this encounter to want to take it next level.

For myself, I decided a long time ago that if I am playing a ranged character, to always have at least one attack that can be done in melee, or something like that feat to protect you. (I chose Eldritch strike over Eldritch Blast with Toman, because all other powers are ranged) - of course this is easier with a human because you get an extra at-will.

Same thing with melee characters, I don't care if it is just a basic attack, I want something that can be done at range (bow, crossbow, throwing weapon, etc.)

I also like to have attacks that target a variety of defenses: AC, Reflex, Will, and Fort; this is easier with spell casters than other classes. (Toman's at-wills target Reflex, Will, and AC; encounter is vs Will; daily vs Fort)

Ok, seriously, need to work. :(
    bye for now

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Snowdown wrote: »
    Just like I learned that my posting of a map, putting you into initiative, and letting you move across it/walk/take actions without something clear to fight was a large time sink...all for 1 trap.

In a tabletop game, something like this would take a matter of minutes perhaps.

Well - I think we (as players) could have handled that better too...

If I had said, "unless anyone objects I'll scout ahead and come back to tell you what's going on."
    And then give relative rolls. Everyone else would simply have to 'agree' and it would have been a single post and your reply. (regardless of how many 'rounds' it took)

Now - if this party isn't the type to want to have someone scout ahead, I'd like to know before next level, because I was planning on boosting stealth even more.

Also - There's a trap?

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also - There's a trap?

I was talking about above ground, when I started initiative as soon as the characters got to the "courtyard" and fell into the hole that dumped them into your current rom.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    midrealm i like high athletics score and charges for melee, and then epic utilities that let you jump really far.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Im not opposed to having a scout

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    if you want to scout thats cool man im down with letting you run about all sneaky like and reporting back. also i could train stealth at some point or multiclass something that will let me train it to go with you since i have heals and high def in case you get gibbed, would be at least 3 lvls tho so distant future.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    lol - Ok - I think next time we want to do an advanced scout down a hall we will handle it better, instead of trying to do round by round. But, I would feel better with some backup (24 hp and AC 14 is just dangerous to be alone) - is anyone else trained in stealth at the moment.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i could hang 10 spaces back and just move/ charge to catch up? but right now...not so sneaky

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Stealth Cleric!

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    HAHA AWESOME im looking forward to you decimating the ud in a second btw

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    HAHA AWESOME im looking forward to you decimating the ud in a second btw

Ditto - 'cause focus on Necromantic powers + Undead = little to no damage

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    decimating ANYTHING requires rolling high enough to hit. something that Amos has struggled with to say the least

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    my next daily will be crucial radiant/necrotic dmg :D

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would just give us one skill challenge round and then go that way instead of making it an "init, move until something happens" sort of thing, Snowdown.

That way, instead of people moving cautiously because you gave us a map and told us to move in initiative, characters to acting more naturally by acting as they have the entire time and simply tripping up due to a roll.

So for the whole ground crashing in thing, everyone that didn't pass the skill challenge would be caught in it, instead of players that made their characters move up instead of move 1 space at a time and ready skills for some reason, lol.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    decimating ANYTHING requires rolling high enough to hit. something that Amos has struggled with to say the least
    Maybe his deity is trying to teach him humility? Or teach him that he shouldn't always work alone and must work with others? Or maybe lack of food has affected his aim?
    Toman slips of his leather rucksack, sets it on the ground, and begins rumaging through it, "I have a only a few days food left myself...a fresh onion and a somewhat rotten apple," he holds both out. "Take your pick"
    Btw did he take the apple, the onion, or neither (or both)
    everyone else is waiting, because they came back for you
    You say that as if you sound surprised that we would come back for an elf wziard that we just met to save him from an unknown threat while holding off a hoarde of.... you know it does sound unlikely. :P

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Squints wrote: »
    I would just give us one skill challenge round and then go that way instead of making it an "init, move until something happens" sort of thing, Snowdown.

That way, instead of people moving cautiously because you gave us a map and told us to move in initiative, characters to acting more naturally by acting as they have the entire time and simply tripping up due to a roll.

So for the whole ground crashing in thing, everyone that didn't pass the skill challenge would be caught in it, instead of players that made their characters move up instead of move 1 space at a time and ready skills for some reason, lol.

I can see a need for a map in some cases, but it does encourage 'round by round' movement.
    Instead of a skill challenge, a simple passive perception to avoid a trap (or active if the player declares it)
    "You hear a creaking sound of old wood as you start to enter the ruins"

The DM could assign an 'initiative' in secret and decide who had or had not already entered the area when the trap was detected. (everyone who went before the person who detected it is in the area, everyone else is not - assuming the person who detected it said something to warn those who were following)

Or the players can send one person ahead to 'scout'
    1st post - Scout makes a check or two
    2nd post - reply if anything detected or not
    then party moves on appropriately

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well I can always change my post if you'd like snow. Never been in a weird little slip dimension like this before

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    that's up to you, let me know.
    I already have the results of the OA, and the next attack on you rolled, just not posted.

Snowdown on