As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten / Persona Discussion] Devil Survivor 2 hits the DS, surprising... everyone.

• Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    never die wrote: »
    So, do any of the games give you the option of friendship with the females? Cause I can't help but feel like a douche trying to romance another girl when technically you are already in a relationship.

In Persona 3 it is still possible for your bff to ask you to do something. I had it happen to me in the summer, when Kaz wanted to go to the movies.

Also, I still have yet to run into the Star guy. I've been to Iwatodai for a week straight and still haven't ran into him. He must hate me :(.

P4 has two tracks for the date-able arcana - there is a pretty obvious decision point where you choose if you want to pursue a relationship or be 'just friends'.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Which is a good start, but there's still no penalty for treating the girls like expendable, interchangeable fucktoys. I understand that it's just a game. It is, more than likely, just the result of lazy direction, and not implicit endorsement of such behaviour. Regardless, it still gets my hackles up.

In Persona 4 you are, however, penalised for going down the friends route. They take a few more "points" to complete than the romantic routes, you lock yourself out of potential Christmas gifts, and you miss out on hee-larious bonus content where the girls realise you're sleeping around but there's no consequence to this because A) You're a playa and B) Fuck bitches. That's not so easily ignored.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've never quite gotten all the hate for dating multiple people.

This is a game in which you make 20-some deep, life-long relationships with people who mostly don't associate with each other in the time span of a few semesters. Even if you imagine it as a compressed four years of secondary school or four years at college, that's still a lot of "bonds that can't be broken" for that time frame. Having five romantic relationships in a similar time frame really doesn't seem so bad to me.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Which is a good start, but there's still no penalty for treating the girls like expendable, interchangeable fucktoys. I understand that it's just a game. It is, more than likely, just the result of lazy direction, and not implicit endorsement of such behaviour. Regardless, it still gets my hackles up.

In Persona 4 you are, however, penalised for going down the friends route. They take a few more "points" to complete than the romantic routes, you lock yourself out of potential Christmas gifts, and you miss out on hee-larious bonus content where the girls realise you're sleeping around but there's no consequence to this because A) You're a playa and B) Fuck bitches. That's not so easily ignored.

i never got any of those confrontational scenes. i feel cheated.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Sleeping around? I never saw any hints to that, especially since after you get into a relationship, every other girl gets the "just friends" response automatically.

I don't care what anyone else says, Naoto's romance talks are just too freakin' cute. Hers is also the hardest fucking one to get in the game, what with the specific requirements just to start the Social Link, plus the specific choices you have to make in her S. Link stages to get her in an intimate relationship.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

And girls get their revenge in P3F, because she's just as big a player if not more of one.

At least Minato draws the line above elementary school.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Sleeping around? I never saw any hints to that, especially since after you get into a relationship, every other girl gets the "just friends" response automatically.

I don't care what anyone else says, Naoto's romance talks are just too freakin' cute. Hers is also the hardest fucking one to get in the game, what with the specific requirements just to start the Social Link, plus the specific choices you have to make in her S. Link stages to get her in an intimate relationship.

Yeah, I was a little confused on that too - I thought P4 prevented you from moving more than one girl to an 'intimate' relationship.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The FeMC can choose to be just friends right? And you can actually date Ken, not just have a normal, non-romantic male/female relationship? That is... kind of disturbing.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me she dates Koromaru.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shaggy wrote: »
    The FeMC can choose to be just friends right? And you can actually date Ken, not just have a normal, non-romantic male/female relationship? That is... kind of disturbing.

In the Japanese version, yeah.

Persona 3 in general is more catering to the "OMG anime" crowd than Persona 4.
    That's also what makes Persona 4 superior.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura, how darest thee contradict mine post on the forum known as the GameFAQs Persona 3 Portable Message Board!!!!!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, what? I did a max S. Link run of P4 and was lovers with every girl.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it explicitly refers to each of them as your significant other. I think Chie and Yukiko get "girlfriend", and the Drama Sun girl gets "Lovers", and Rise gets something else thats a little bit more suggestive. Something about having accepted her proposal of marriage, which is just the biggest annoyance in the whole game for me. She flat out proposes to you halfheartedly joking, and goes "Really? I'mma hold you to that, protag!" if you make a positive response.

This is never commented on again. Despite this presumably being a REALLY FREAKING BIG DEAL. Especially to someone with Rise's attachment issues.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, Rank 10 events with lovers. I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.
    :winky:

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ai was pretty easy for me to max out. I just found out Shin Megami Tensei Persona is on the PSN, is it wrth picking up?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you don't mind losing the original's awesome OST in favour of shitty J-Pop as equivalent exchange for a proper translation, absolutely. Also, SQC.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ai was pretty easy for me to max out. I just found out Shin Megami Tensei Persona is on the PSN, is it wrth picking up?
    There's a pretty awesome Let's Play you could read instead. ;-)

Personally, I kind of enjoy it. It's very, very different from Persona 3 and 4 (No Social Links, emphasis on dungeon crawling, all characters can use multiple Personas, etc) and is very definitely an old game. But if you're okay with those things, it's not a bad game. The music in the remake is horrible, though.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    Yeah, it explicitly refers to each of them as your significant other. I think Chie and Yukiko get "girlfriend", and the Drama Sun girl gets "Lovers", and Rise gets something else thats a little bit more suggestive. Something about having accepted her proposal of marriage, which is just the biggest annoyance in the whole game for me. She flat out proposes to you halfheartedly joking, and goes "Really? I'mma hold you to that, protag!" if you make a positive response.

This is never commented on again. Despite this presumably being a REALLY FREAKING BIG DEAL. Especially to someone with Rise's attachment issues.

Again, I never saw that. P4 MC automatically turns down other girls if he's already "intimate" with someone else. It should say in the S. Link screen "you are in an intimate relationship with (female character)" if the MC was indeed intimate w/ them. All the girls do otherwise is thank you for whatever you did and blush slightly.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Then obviously you never opened the lover options up in the first place. As long as they're open, you never reject them automatically.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Then obviously you never opened the lover options up in the first place. As long as they're open, you never reject them automatically.

Eh? I usually pick out a girl early on, save for 1 playthrough when I picked Naoto.... whatever, this is a silly topic.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, Gaming-Freak, but you're mistaken. In Giant Bomb's endurance run, they went down the lovers routes for Chie, Rise and Yukiko. There is extra dialogue inside the TV if you take the lovers routes for multiple party members.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, Gaming-Freak, but you're mistaken. In Giant Bomb's endurance run, they went down the lovers routes for Chie, Rise and Yukiko. There is extra dialogue inside the TV if you take the lovers routes for multiple party members.

Yeah, I just found that out last night, but was too tired to post it. Whatever, I guess I'm a lame one-girlfriend guy, I'm such a square.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fuagh, Christmas choice. Yukiko? Naaaaah. Chie? Bug off! Rise? Come to papa.

I have never felt so -low-.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fuagh, Christmas choice. Yukiko? Naaaaah. Chie? Bug off! Rise? Come to papa.

I have never felt so -low-.

I think it's safe to say that the devs tried to drive you towards picking Chie, Yukiko or Rise. Especially considering that starting their S. Links happen as a part of the plot. And why do you feel low for choosing Rise? She's only a year younger than the MC. Now if you chose Ayane, I'd be a little weirded out...

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd say in order of 'biggest push' to 'least push' in terms of who you 'should' date, it would go Rise --> Ai --> Drama Club Loser --> Yukiko --> Band Club Pedo Girl --> Chie --> That old lady --> The fox --> Naoto.

Chie's too bro-y to be a real choice, honestly. And I've talked about my feelings on Naoto's romance path before.

Yosuke and Kou are in there somewhere too, no matter what the game says. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I'd say in order of 'biggest push' to 'least push' in terms of who you 'should' date, it would go Rise --> Ai --> Drama Club Loser --> Yukiko --> Band Club Pedo Girl --> Chie --> That old lady --> The fox --> Naoto.

Chie's too bro-y to be a real choice, honestly. And I've talked about my feelings on Naoto's romance path before.

Yosuke and Kou are in there somewhere too, no matter what the game says. :lol:

Keep your "Jun Kurusou" fantasies away from my game!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    honestly, I feel the game makes you "choose" between Rise and Yukiko, due to the strong emphasis of your party members, but the Drama club girl is very strongly right there in your face emotionally, especially with her desperate need for masculine support. Chie is most definitely too "Bro" to be very datable, and I sort of always pair her up with Yosuke in my head anyways. Naoto is of course destined for Kanji and no one else.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    honestly, I feel the game makes you "choose" between Rise and Yukiko, due to the strong emphasis of your party members, but the Drama club girl is very strongly right there in your face emotionally, especially with her desperate need for masculine support. Chie is most definitely too "Bro" to be very datable, and I sort of always pair her up with Yosuke in my head anyways. Naoto is of course destined for Kanji and no one else.

Chie and Yosuke's "relationship" plays out the age-old trait that each Persona game has two party members that constantly bicker. In P1 it was Masao and Kei. Not sure about P2:IS, but in P2:ET It was Baofu and Katsuya. Finally, in P3, it was Junpei and Yukari, or sometimes Junpei and Akihiko.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm only about an hour into P3... But dosent EVERYONE pick on Junpei? That much is pretty obvious so far. Especially if he follows / preceeds Yosuke's "Gets kicked in the face every fourish cutscenes"

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Chie and Yosuke's "relationship" plays out the age-old trait that each Persona game has two party members that constantly bicker. In P1 it was Masao and Kei. Not sure about P2:IS, but in P2:ET It was Baofu and Katsuya. Finally, in P3, it was Junpei and Yukari, or sometimes Junpei and Akihiko.

P2:IS, it'd be Lisa and Eikichi.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Eternal Punishment also had Baofu and Ulala.

Really it just had Baofu being a prick. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Eternal Punishment also had Baofu and Ulala.

Really it just had Baofu being a prick. :lol:
    Amusingly,
    they actually get together in the end. Maybe. Depends on whether you interpret "partner" as "business partner".
    I sure didn't.
    But really, Baofu is awesome like that. For example:
    18-Persona2-20-37.jpg

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never thought Chie as too "bro"ish to be not date-able. Just really reliable to have your back, and able to hang with the guys. Still, rejecting Yukiko always makes me feel like a huge asshole.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I never got the "rejecting Yukiko makes me feel like an asshole" thing.

Like, you're the one that makes the first move there. You either tell her you enjoy hanging with her because you're good friends or because you're into her. There's really no assholeishness there.

Now, rejecting Rise, Ai, or Yumi, sure...they kind of make you feel that one.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2010

Like, you're the one that makes the first move there. You either tell her you enjoy hanging with her because you're good friends or because you're into her. There's really no assholeishness there.

"WHAT!? YOU DON'T LOVE ME!? BUT I LOVE YOU!"

Pretty much sums up their thoughts >__>

Also.. in that Baofu pic... is that Katsuya face-palming in the back!? lol!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

"WHAT!? YOU DON'T LOVE ME!? BUT I LOVE YOU!"

Pretty much sums up their thoughts >__>

Also.. in that Baofu pic... is that Katsuya face-palming in the back!? lol!
    It's not, actually. Katsuya and Maya aren't in that scene. They're actually waiting outside the bar.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seeing that scene makes me wish there was an easy way to obtain P2 :/

Gammarah on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it's the editor of Coolest in that picture.

Also:
    It's not, actually. Katsuya and Maya aren't in that scene. They're actually [strike]waiting[/strike] flirting outside the bar.
    is what I think you meant.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it's the editor of Coolest in that picture.

Also:
    It's not, actually. Katsuya and Maya aren't in that scene. They're actually [strike]waiting[/strike] flirting outside the bar.
    is what I think you meant.

Wasn't Katsuya's (and ironically, Tatsuya's) crush on Maya one-sided? I'm pretty sure Maya was oblivious to the Suou brothers's feelings up until the end of ET.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure Maya just doesn't care one way or another, or she just enjoys toying with them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png