As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What a way to go (slide guy update pg. 9)

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    did you remind you boss that they violated labor laws

Raneados on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

No, but I probably should have

I don't know what I would have gotten out of it, not to be snarky, but where would that take me?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know why so many people were so awful at cashiering at Walmart

they posted the number of items scanned per hour by each employee in the back each week, I was consistently in the 500s while barely anyone else cracked 300. And I was new and also hated the fuck out the job.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    natek wrote: »
    yeah
    you kinda fucked with a the people who were buying an available restaurant

not very nice

Actually we were fucking over the property owners who were part of the reason we were closing. The location was a revolving doors of restaurants and on several occasions they decided to force several restaurants out for not "fitting the aesthetic of the Prudential center." They wanted to close the entrance through which we got most of our foot traffic as well as access to the office tower above where we got most of our daytime business because Boston Properties believed this foot traffic was diminishing the value of the building. Also when we moved in, they assured us the floors were waterproof in the kitchen. Oh no. They were not. Somewhere along the lines of 70,000 bucks worth of repairs needed. Oh and they kept jacking up the rent for the entire building. Nothing like 1.5 million a year. A law firm spanning 7 floors of the building decided to relocate because those fucking lizards were being so unreasonable.

they'll transfer the cost of whatever you did to whoever takes it next

and probably make a profit on it

again, you fuck over every single person EXCEPT the people you're trying to fuck over

Who moves into a new place, especially a restaurant, and check out the place first? Not only that, who buys a new place that clearly needs repairs and then goes in knowing that will come out of their pocket instead of the property management company in charge of the place's upkeep?

Besides, I had heard that our our GM found out who was moving into the new space and tipped them off to what needed to be repaired in the location (which included a number of things the property company failed to mention). No one has moved into that space yet. So unless Boston Properties sees fit to fix that place up, they're sitting on dead weight.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I don't know what I would have gotten out of it, not to be snarky, but where would that take me?

oh no not even to further yourself

but if anyone, even a customer, would have reported it, it's like a 30,000 dollar fine to the company

Raneados on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Suppository, get that shit out of there, it's interfering with my ire.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

but if anyone, even a customer, would have reported it, it's like a 30,000 dollar fine to the company

I don't see that helping the conditions much :o

But they are much better with it now (I still work for them). I haven't gone more than 4.5 hours without a break since then

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah

not very nice

Actually we were fucking over the property owners who were part of the reason we were closing. The location was a revolving doors of restaurants and on several occasions they decided to force several restaurants out for not "fitting the aesthetic of the Prudential center." They wanted to close the entrance through which we got most of our foot traffic as well as access to the office tower above where we got most of our daytime business because Boston Properties believed this foot traffic was diminishing the value of the building. Also when we moved in, they assured us the floors were waterproof in the kitchen. Oh no. They were not. Somewhere along the lines of 70,000 bucks worth of repairs needed. Oh and they kept jacking up the rent for the entire building. Nothing like 1.5 million a year. A law firm spanning 7 floors of the building decided to relocate because those fucking lizards were being so unreasonable.

again, you fuck over every single person EXCEPT the people you're trying to fuck over

Who moves into a new place, especially a restaurant, and check out the place first? Not only that, who buys a new place that clearly needs repairs and then goes in knowing that will come out of their pocket instead of the property management company in charge of the place's upkeep?

Besides, I had heard that our our GM found out who was moving into the new space and tipped them off to what needed to be repaired in the location (which included a number of things the property company failed to mention). No one has moved into that space yet. So unless Boston Properties sees fit to fix that place up, they're sitting on dead weight.

"it's okay that we fucked it up because whoever buys it is buying a fucked up property and should know better"

which is an argument that is absurd at best

and again

they'll repair it, and add the cost to the price, and even make profit off it by inflating repair costs

Raneados on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Suppository, get that shit out of there, it's interfering with my ire.

Well you're getting in the way of my eyre

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I don't see that helping the conditions much :o

But they are much better with it now (I still work for them). I haven't gone more than 4.5 hours without a break since then

:P I am saying that you should keep an eye on your time

even a short 15 minute break or whatever is enough to be in the clear

a lot of places either don't know about those laws or lose track of employees' times

Raneados on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I work as an after school art teacher, so I don't really know what would constitute going out in a blaze of glory other than the fact that it would most likely involve cussing out some 3rd graders.

...but man have I ever thought about doing it.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I work as an after school art teacher, so I don't really know what would constitute going out in a blaze of glory other than the fact that it would most likely involve cussing out some 3rd graders.

Man no

cuss out their parents

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah

not very nice

"it's okay that we fucked it up because whoever buys it is buying a fucked up property and should know better"

which is an argument that is absurd at best

and again

they'll repair it, and add the cost to the price, and even make profit off it by inflating repair costs

I'm not saying buyer beware, I'm saying no one in their right mind blindly buys property. They inspect the property before buying. What sort of foolish notions are you operating under? Not to mention they have yet to sell it to anyone. No one is being forced to take this property. They can it add it the cost all they want, but unless somebody actually agrees to take that price, they're making nothing.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    rane might come back with something along the lines of increasing the cost of property that an upstart restaurant may not be able to afford now that you fucked it up

thus delaying their birth or ruining it entirely

natek on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh I'm not saying anything

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's not a space that can be occupied by an upstart restaurant. Not at 1.5 million a year in rent. High end concept or chain, those are really the two options. In a black hole of a location with a history of revolving door syndrome.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    say something rane

natek on
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Trying to make it relevant to the thread...
    it's way too fuckin hot
    how is air conditioning where you guys work/live

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've drunk enough to be longwinded, but not so much that I can't type. Forewarning.

And I haven't quit anywhere epic style, I just quit nicely or get fired.

My friend worked bar at a rather (I'm told) prominent gay club in Buffalo, NY. If anything can be prominent there, it's said gay club.

The incredibly, in your face, 'if I make you uncomfortable with my ridiculously uncomfortable sexual antics you're a homophobe' owner got in my friend's face and told him he only said he was straight because, and I quote, "You ain't shit, because you know you couldn't HANDLE fag cock". Great thing to hear from a boss.

So John, being him, walked up to the bar (where he worked most of the time), picked up the tip jar, popped the register open, grabbed the twenties (overtime he'd been stiffed on, minus about 60 bucks), walked through everybody on the dance floor with a shit-ton of cash in hand, squatted down in the throngs of people, shat gigantically on the dance floor, and left.

But this is the same guy who did an entire staff change-over at the Plaid on the 4th of July one year (he'd asked to have it off 8 months previous and they wouldn't give it to him because ONE GUY had seniority on him and also wanted it off, 3 years instead of ALMOST three years), got the register counted and balanced, did his close sheet, locked up, and left. At four in the afternoon. On his way back to the 4th party we were all at, he called his boss and left a kind message letting him know that he quit.

Then there's Kenny.

So at the restaurant I know Kenny from, there are four stations on the line: Saute, Middle (plates, runs fryer, coordinates Grill and Saute), Grill, and Pantry. Then two dishwashers. On weekends, a floater who breaks everybody out.

Kenny was black out drunk. As he tells it:

"So I come out of a blackout on Middle. And I hate middle. I don't know who talked me into that shit. So I come up, and that fucking bitch Rebecca [general manager at the time] is sitting at the bar laughing at me. Being drunk, I decide to be honest. I yell out the window, "I'M DRUNK. FIRE ME." Bitch laughs at me, so I just get louder. "I'M DRUNK. FIRE ME." That didn't work. So I started dropping fireballs from Middle"

Fireballs: The act of setting approximately 9 cups of oil aflame and dropping the pan it's burning in into a bucket of grease and water, resulting in a flame that hits the ceiling and hoods, spreads about 20 feet horizontally upon contact with the ceiling, sometimes shoots out both kitchen doors and the kitchen window, and used to be a great time until some fire inspector took the plastic wrap off of the sprinklers and a different cook set off said sprinklers.

Generally, when somebody wanted to drop a fireball, we pulled all tickets from the rail, tips from the shelves, and anything flammable from the line. Then we got the fuck out of the way and watched the psycho holding the pan (sometimes me) do his thing and duck.

Saute, Jimmy, tells Kenny to cut it the fuck out. These two veteran bar brawlers get into a vicious argument. Kenny punches out Jimmy, and (this is the beautiful part) FAINTS MID PUNCH.

The kitchen staff is desperately trying to get Kenny off of the kitchen mats, and Jimmy comes too, which results in a SECOND set of staff holding HIM back because who cares if Kenny is passed out, Jimmy knows that he just got punched out.

Kenny comes out of a faint, leaves, gets two blocks away, forgets why he left, and returns: confused why everybody is so upset.

The great part about that whole thing? He didn't get fired.

He got fired for showing up late a few months later.

I have more from that restaurant, but I'm so beyond tl;dr at this point it's stupid.

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    it has been in the 90s and so damn humid lately

I walk outside and my glasses fog up

natek on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    you can't fire me

i quit

"Technically we fired you last night at 8 which was the end of your shift. We called you home phone number and left you a voice mail not to come in today."

That's how it went down for me. :|

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the way i ended the southern job was pretty subdued

called the boss up, he asked why the hell i wasn't coming in and i flatly told him i was done, in another state and everything

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Holy shit
    oogmar, you know some crazy peoples

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    blackout drunk is still a mystery to me

natek on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Man no

cuss out their parents

Yeah, this is a more likely scenario, but I know I'll just get the old "somebody in our family ejaculated into somebody else and we went several months without getting an abortion so we now know more about everything than you." argument.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    to natek:
    There was a thread about it
    I guess people just talked about it and no research got done
    what a waste of funding

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Holy shit
    oogmar, you know some crazy peoples

I cooked breakfast with Kenny yesterday. He's a manager there again. He's calmed down quite a bit, and needs to quit being a brilliant cook so he can keep on being a brilliant tattoo artist.

Oh K-Boo.

That place has gone from a group of disorganized, angry drunks to a group of organized, happy drunks who also happen to be high. It's weird to be back cooking there.

And yes, I know a lot of cooks. We're all goddamned crazy.

oogmar on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    to natek:
    what a waste of funding

dammit!

maybe I should just be glad I go from drunk to drunker to drunkest to throwing up but still remembering everything

natek on
  • Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man, all the people I know are just assholes
    they're not asshole cooks, or asshole tattoo artists
    just assholes
    fuck this

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So, I just learned today that asphyxiating on your own vomit is not just an urban legend.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    to natek:
    what a waste of funding

dammit!

maybe I should just be glad I go from drunk to drunker to drunkest to throwing up but still remembering everything

glad?
    isn't it already shit enough to have to deal with the heat, now you gotta make sure you're not knocking things over and throwin up in places where you should not be throwin up?

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    just assholes
    fuck this

You'll always have your doodle thread pals

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So, I just learned today that asphyxiating on your own vomit is not just an urban legend.

isn't that how bon scott died?

natek on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

uhh how did you learn that
    are you ghostpostin'?

L|ama on
  • Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    just assholes
    fuck this

You'll always have your doodle thread pals

the one thread where I can feel comfortable with shitting on myself for the amusement of others

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd also like to mention that later, I got John the floor-shitter a job at the same restaurant that Kenny had come back to when I was still cooking there (and now cooking there again), and they got on really well. Except John pranked Kenny via text into believing that there was this girl named Sarah who Kenny had supposedly had sex with in his former uber drunk days, had him going for almost 2 months, then had to call him for something work-related and the whole thing got blown. Everybody found this hilarious, and nobody got mad.

Maybe I do know some crazy people.

Also, Kenny is a 6'3 slender-style behemoth covered to his knuckles in tats, Jimmy is the same height and maybe four pounds soaking wet, and John is a mix of the two (wiry AND covered in ink).

All of them are fucking teddy-bears to me. I feel badly for the rest of the world.

oogmar on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    L|ama wrote: »

uhh how did you learn that
    are you ghostpostin'?
    No, I know someone who died. It'd be funny if it wasn't so fucked up.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    if somebody is passed out and they may vomit, always turn them on their side

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The cooks where I work are for the most part, really awesome

We give them coffee at random, and we get to have a little peck at extra food now and then

I was being trained on the coffee machine shut down procedure, the next morning is basically "run it through a couple of times so there is no soap in the coffee"

I joked saying "oh is that why we have staff coffees then?"

the boss laughed and said "haha no that is chef coffees"

it was funny, the chef smirked and we got on with our day. I told a friend who was a chef about it and he got really pissed. "If some motherfucker did that to me I'd fuckin bash them and pour oil on them and break their fingers those fuckers don't know who they're messing with!"

I just thought "wow, you're kinda pathetic"

You're a chef, you aren't some sort of culinary god, you have a respectable, and at times very tough job, but you aren't king of the playground. In fact, if a chef threatened me at work like that I'd tell him to shut his ass up, you earn $3 an hour more than me at best, and often just as replaceable as a good waiter.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    to PI:
    It is kind of fucked up, and sad
    always take care of your drinking buddies

scarlet blvd. on