As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What a way to go (slide guy update pg. 9)

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    if somebody is passed out and they may vomit, always turn them on their side
    Apparently!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    to PI:
    It is kind of fucked up, and sad
    always take care of your drinking buddies
    The big, screwy irony about the whole situation is that him and all of his buddies rented a place for the night so they could party without running the risks of driving.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    if somebody is passed out and they may vomit, always turn them on their side
    Apparently!

and if they are on a couch, turn them so that the vomit runs away from their mouth.

learnt by some unfortunate girls who pre-drank before a birthday party

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am a strong believer in the vomit bowl.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    good waiter

After 6 years as a cook, I've met exactly 5 of these. They are irreplaceable.

So I guess good cooks, especially with people who would talk to the floor like that for something that has nothing to do with how terrible the average human is at waiting tables, may be way MORE replaceable than a good waiter/tress, since most of them are pathetic incompetents.

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When I saw the thread title and read the preview, I thought it meant he slid out of the plane while it was actually flying. I was like, what.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I always wonder that if my roommate wasn't there to check on me my freshman year of college if I would've choked and died on my puke (I just passed out in bed on my back).

Instead he turned me and I puked all over the room. I had pasta that was like 85% marinara sauce earlier. Room looked like a murder scene.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    blunter: a chef (who was also a complete d-bag and got really defensive if you said the slightest thing bad about weed) on another forum I used to visit got pissed off at his waiting staff at one point and poured lye in his motorbike boots

he ended up going to jail for that, I think.
    L|ama wrote: »
    So, I just learned today that asphyxiating on your own vomit is not just an urban legend.

uhh how did you learn that
    are you ghostpostin'?
    No, I know someone who died. It'd be funny if it wasn't so fucked up.

yeah this was what I was worried about instead of finding research or documented cases of it or something. Sorry, that fucking sucks.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    With that on the table, choking to death on vomit is not a good way to go.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If waitstaff performed their duties half as well as a mediocre cook can while stoned and exhausted, they would all be considered at least "good" by me.

Most are abysmal.

In the brief time I was a bartender, I could bartend, bus, cook, serve, and be security for twice the amount of drunken humans as most waitstaff see in a week. I was okay at it...

But Jesus, sometimes I feel like waiters are around just to prove to the rest of us that we could be making more money if we didn't take pride at being good at anything.

Okay, I'll stop going on about that. For the most part, they're lovely people. Just slow, whiney, gossipy, late, and lazy.

And regarding soap in a coffee: Not even the slightest tip of an iceberg. Pure-cap or salt that shit. If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't work in the industry.

oogmar on

• Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    blunter: a chef (who was also a complete d-bag and got really defensive if you said the slightest thing bad about weed) on another forum I used to visit got pissed off at his waiting staff at one point and poured lye in his motorbike boots

he ended up going to jail for that, I think.

That's fucking insane
    now I'm remembering my high school chem class and the crazy shit lye does to skin

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oogmar wrote: »
    But Jesus, sometimes I feel like waiters are around just to prove to the rest of us that we could be making more money if we didn't take pride at being good at anything.

This is basically me every single day at work. And I mean, I actually like all my servers as people, but I generally fucking despise them as coworkers.

Always stealing shit off my bar because they're too lazy to get it out of my fridge...

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    edited August 2010
    it makes soap

L|ama on
  • Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    some would say death is the ultimate way of quitting

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thank you for that profound chemistry lesson, Llama.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    edited August 2010
    it makes soap

dissolves skin
    same thing
    I'm going to get ice cream, it's too fucking hot out

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    lye is potassium hydroxide, a base, that when exposed to moisture dissociates into the potassium cation and the hydroxide anion, which is the reactive component that steals hydrogen bonds readily from organic materials such as oils and skins and I don't really give a shit I'm just drunk and half awake

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I thought lye was NaOH

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ya know what? fuck your alkali metals. you can saponificate all you want with your smelly ass sodium.

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    facetious wrote: »

This is basically me every single day at work. And I mean, I actually like all my servers as people, but I generally fucking despise them as coworkers.

Always stealing shit off my bar because they're too lazy to get it out of my fridge...
    "

"Ummmmm... is ticket (random floor number) about to come up?"

"(mocking the high pitch, cooking furiously to make sure everything comes out delicious and gorgeous) UMMMMMM Do you have nothing else to do? Didn't you punch something in for the bartender to do while you ferry shit back and forth?"

Good waitstaff (all five of them I've had the immeasurable pleasure of working with): "You're right, you're busy, if you can let me know very quickly when my food is up (because when you're busy food comes up in 10 minutes instead of 2), please do, otherwise, I'll make sure my tables are happy the entire time they aren't getting what they want THIS INSTANT. Dicks."

Everybody else who waits tables on the planet: "But I'm standing HERE right now, and I don't care if my table has their drinks or even water yet, because I'm standing, here, and I need it NAAAAOOOWWWW."

*stalks off to smoke a cigarette, the bartender finally runs their drinks, and their food is dead in the window for five minutes before they bother running it*

*SHOCKED, I say SHOCKED that their tips are terrible, stiffs the kitchen, wonders why none of the cooks like them*

oogmar on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    You know what's awesome
    alkali metals in water
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCk0lYB_8c0

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aw, man, that tub isn't even cast iron.

That's the only way to fly.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    scarlet I saw that video in my chemistry class!

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If anyone is caught standing still for more than 5 seconds at my work they get hurried at

I can be a bit hard to work with, especially with being deaf in one ear, I can miss things easily. But when you have to run coffee and food from different areas, while keeping the water jugs iced, clearing tables, sorting the plates for the stewards and wiping the tables down as well as sweeping the floor, keeping the sugar boats stocked as well as the napkins and cutlery, also stocking the fridges and milk cabinet, then polishing the cabinets and checking if we still have sauce. It can be hard to figure out how to do everything at the same time.

This isn't meant as a "well MY job", but being a waiter, even in a dinky little cafe can be confusing as hell. I am sure the chefs are more than sick of me buggering around trying to balance the damn plates so they don't tumble halfway to the table (which I am admittedly terrible at, though I have never dropped food) and not noticing the little bell they use to tell us there is more food out there :P

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    everyone saw that video in chemistry class
    I wonder how old it is

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's not actually Cesium or Rubidium. The reaction would be very small, because it's fucking rare and expensive, and the surface area of a small sample would make a low-grade explosion.
    /being a cock

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    everyone saw that video in chemistry class
    I wonder how old it is

oh
    i remember when i saw it i was impressed at how hip and modern it was as opposed to the usual 1980's fare

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ruinin our fun
    we'll blow up bathtubs when we want, how we want, mr. orange
    and you can't stop us
    so you might as well go get the trinitrotoluene and come blow some more shit up

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No argument here.
    If I ever want to quit my job as a chem teacher, rest assured I will wrap a chunk of sodium thick in toilet paper and flush it down. By the time the water penetrates the fabric, it'll be fuck-deep in the pipeline.

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You are a chemistry teacher?
    Tell us interesting things

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    and not noticing the little bell they use to tell us there is more food out there :P

This is why every restaurant that doesn't charge more than 30 bucks an entree (because those places are tiny meccas of culinary worship, sometimes) need to employ the "cooks bellow out an insulting call name that they have come up with due to your biggest insecurity" method.

I'm telling you, Chokes on Dick shows up for his food about 10 seconds before we're about to yell his name to the entire dining room.

Hard-on/Sweet-tits (one of the five greatest floorstaff) is the same as Chokes, "In Brianna Jones and the temper of Jim (long story)" as well, and Flojob, Persian Jon Travolta, Jeremy Terry Has Really Let himself Go, Corndogs for Brains (excellent bartender, he started my drinks earlier tonight)... all very good about running their food.

The bell system is nice as well.

Calling it out also works for 86ing things. "86 Alligator!" ... "86 Alligator." ... "CALL IT BACK, MONKEYS. YOU DON'T CALL IT BACK, NO FOOD GETS RUN." There's never a non-berate-able ticket that coms in asking for something we're out of.

Maybe I'm just used to assholes.

oogmar on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Iodine crystals turn into ammonium tri-iodide when you mix it with even household ammonia, which is actually preferable because it has impurities/water/soap in it to dullen the volatility of the explosive. The result is a little crystal that explode on contact to any pressure or temperature change, thats pretty much a snap-n-pop, but it releases a big cloud of purple iodine gas. It stains everything horribly.

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They all sound like fake Indian names.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't understand what you are talking about oogmar
    I know nothing about restaurants!

edit: Orange, how do you hold said crystal without it going off in your hand then?

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    and not noticing the little bell they use to tell us there is more food out there :P

This is why every restaurant that doesn't charge more than 30 bucks an entree (because those places are tiny meccas of culinary worship, sometimes) need to employ the "cooks bellow out an insulting call name that they have come up with due to your biggest insecurity" method.

I'm telling you, Chokes on Dick shows up for his food about 10 seconds before we're about to yell his name to the entire dining room.

Hard-on/Sweet-tits (one of the five greatest floorstaff) is the same as Chokes, "In Brianna Jones and the temper of Jim (long story)" as well, and Flojob, Persian Jon Travolta, Jeremy Terry Has Really Let himself Go, Corndogs for Brains (excellent bartender, he started my drinks earlier tonight)... all very good about running their food.

The bell system is nice as well.

Calling it out also works for 86ing things. "86 Alligator!" ... "86 Alligator." ... "CALL IT BACK, MONKEYS. YOU DON'T CALL IT BACK, NO FOOD GETS RUN." There's never a non-berate-able ticket that coms in asking for something we're out of.

Maybe I'm just used to assholes.

I work for the Hyatt, so if the chef called that out, my boss would probably throw him into the sun :P

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Which would in fact be a spectacular way to go.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    edited August 2010
    AoO we were going to put KMnO4 in the top tanks of toilets in high school when we left but never got around to it

would this have been a good idea or a great idea, pls advise

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    edit: Orange, how do you hold said crystal without it going off in your hand then?
    Lemme answer your question with another question: why would you want to hold an explosive salt?
    Nah, when it dries it's the most "dangerous". While it's wet, and with enough impurities it shouldn't be too sensitive. My old mentor used to make those things in big piles and leave them everywhere to scare the crap out of us as we walked in doors and open cabinets.

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Iodine crystals turn into ammonium tri-iodide when you mix it with even household ammonia, which is actually preferable because it has impurities/water/soap in it to dullen the volatility of the explosive. The result is a little crystal that explode on contact to any pressure or temperature change, thats pretty much a snap-n-pop, but it releases a big cloud of purple iodine gas. It stains everything horribly.
    Isn't that what you use to make homemade plastic explosive? I remember on a Zoom! from back in the day they made it, or something like that I think, and set it off using a feather on the end of a stick.

Borommakot on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    How are you supposed to get elements like potassium, iodine, all that kind of stuff, by itself?

scarlet blvd. on