As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What a way to go (slide guy update pg. 9)

• Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    AoO we were going to put KMnO4 in the top tanks of toilets in high school when we left but never got around to it

would this have been a good idea or a great idea, pls advise

That wouldn't have done a damn thing. Learn your solubility rules, that would have yielded quiet readily a potassium and a permanganate ion, neither of which would be reactive or detrimental in anyway like molecular potassium.
    Also, why the hell are you trying to do what I think you're trying to do? And now I'm interested in how you got that.

edit: actually, no, it wouldn't readily dissociate. This is why I don't teach at 5AM. In either case, you don't get anything you want. Potassium Permanganate is actually already used in water supplies.
    Borommakot wrote: »
    Iodine crystals turn into ammonium tri-iodide when you mix it with even household ammonia, which is actually preferable because it has impurities/water/soap in it to dullen the volatility of the explosive. The result is a little crystal that explode on contact to any pressure or temperature change, thats pretty much a snap-n-pop, but it releases a big cloud of purple iodine gas. It stains everything horribly.
    Isn't that what you use to make homemade plastic explosive? I remember on a Zoom! from back in the day they made it, or something like that I think, and set it off using a feather on the end of a stick.
    I think you're thinking of ammonium nitrate.

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man Zoom! used to be my shit every day after school.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    our teacher told us it stains stuff brown :|

L|ama on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    the iodine/ammonia mixture was called Anti in the Poor Man's James Bond

we smeared a bunch of it on the concrete where a bunch of stray cats kept getting into my friend's insullation under his house

and then we waited

and then we heard a bang! and saw a cat sprinting off into the alley

that was the end of that

didn't really hurt him, maybe singed his feet a little, but it scared the fucking hell out of him

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Those two posts go pretty well together.

edit: not Rank's

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How are you supposed to get elements like potassium, iodine, all that kind of stuff, by itself?

well there's this, but you can also get nearly anything by electrolysis with varying degrees of difficulty.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Those two posts go pretty well together.

edit: not Rank's

What?

... oh.

For the record I meant shit in the good way.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Damn I was going to post a picture of boys kissing for Kochikens but it was edging toward NSFW territory so I wasn't sure if I should.

but the thought was there.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hydroiodic acid is not an easy find, and is controlled due to its use in the manufacture of crystal meth.

Thats it I'm going to bed.

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh god I posted in the wrong thread again.

For fuck's sake how difficult can it be to keep track of tabs.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    natek wrote: »
    where is the geek?

I have been watching buttloads of Phineas and Ferb

Is good, yes?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    it's kind of a dick move to storm out of a job and leave people who are actually trying to do their jobs to pick up the slack

it's a huge dick move actually

I did it because NOBODY there was worth staying for. They were all shitty workers, shitty bosses, shitty cooks, and just generally lazy as hell

this is like my job now
    my coworkers show up high or drunk and the managers are too stupid to realize it or don't care

i'm the only one doing my job and i get in trouble most of the time

humble on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My first job ever was when I was 16 and it was at McDonald's

It was pretty much the shittiest thing ever because even at 16 I was mentally superior to every other employee at the place, and I'm not saying I'm a genius or anything of the sort

They realized I was halfway decent at math and so they had me paying their bills and working on their sales ledger, as well as doing inventory and working the drive-through window

After a month of this, I told my manager that I would only continue to do all of that stuff if I was at least made a shift manager, and they told me, "Oh yeah sure Josh good idea"

One day I was told to take people's drive-through orders, pay the bills, work on the ledger and clean trays all at once, and I was expected to finish all of that stuff by the end of my 4-hour shift

This was a month later and I still wasn't a manager, and there was maybe one other person besides me in the place who was doing any work

I made $5.50/hr.

I took off my headset, threw the sales ledger in the trash, put their bills folder in the deep fryer, put the huge-ass stack of dirty trays (almost every tray in the restaurant) on the manager's desk, and calmly walked out of the McD's and the 4 miles back to my house (I couldn't drive at the time)

The best part is that as a part-time fry jockey I was technically not supposed to have keys to the office or access to the inventory, ledger, bills or anything of the sort

So the manager took the heat completely (alternative was getting fired for making me do her job) and she got her ass demoted to a regular employee

I didn't even need the damn money from that job, I was 16 feckin years old, but I wondered on the way home where I could work after a stunt like that

The next day I got a call from this dude I knew at the local music store, he'd just become the manager and offered me a job at $7/hr. plus commission (10% of the profit) on anything I rung up

Second best job I ever had, I made bank at that job

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How are you supposed to get elements like potassium, iodine, all that kind of stuff, by itself?

Have access to a well stocked laboratory like some people.

Or buy common products at pool supply stores, home centers, super markets, and off the intertrons. Some of them may require a bit of work, like having to drive off CO2 in an oven or some crushing/grinding.

Hunter on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    humble wrote: »
    i'm the only one doing my job and i get in trouble most of the time

Holy crap I hate that shit with a passion.

Back in high school and for a period of college I worked at various Dunkin Donuts near my parents' house. Typical work, did a lot of opening (there's a 3:30 am now?) and closing shifts because nobody else wanted them, but it was okay pay when you factored in tips.

The last one I worked at was in a convenience store, tiny place, basically after 2pm you were by yourself until close. I always kept my place spotless, perhaps once in a great while I forgot to do one thing, missed one coffee pot to be washed, extremely minor stuff. My regional manager always gave me shit about these things, stopping by the store letting me know "oh hey I saw you didn't do such and such". She -never- gave the worthless employees that left the entire store a mess when they closed any grief, or not that I could tell. This always aggravated me, but my store manager let me know she didn't give a crap that needle brain thought so everything was fine.

One fine Tuesday in August, I was working the closing shift by myself. Tuesdays were the days we got deliveries of cups, food products, etc. I guess we had gotten in this new coolatta (frozen slush drink) mix that came frozen instead of being a liquid, and we had to let them defrost fully before using them otherwise it destroyed the flavor in it. In walks one of the owners of this particular DD's chain. A young 40s something yuppy. I recognized him but never actually spoken with him before. He started blathering away about the new coolatta flavor and wanted one. I checked the under-the-counter fridge, but we didn't have of the flavor mix defrosted yet and in there. I did not that they had come in the shipment that day, and were still frozen. He starts shouting at the top of his lungs berating me about it, I calmly explain I will go get some from the freezer and start defrosting them right away. He follows me to the freezer, still yelling at me, everyone in the convenience store watching him lose his shit. He eventually leaves after I make him a regular coffee coolatta or something, then take care of the regular customers.

Not but 20 minutes later, my regional manager calls me, saying she had received a complaint about me from a customer about terrible, abbraisve service.

I am panicng, trying to recall who could that have been? I don't recall any customers being a problem toda-

Then I realize, managers never call the store to talk to employees about customer complaints. Especially not regional ones who don't even run a store. The owner called her and made up some rediculous story about me. She knew I would never do the things he said about me, even if she gave me a hard time over trivial things. So I waited, listened to her tell her stupid made up story about how I was the worst employee ever. And that was then I decided I was done with this shit once and for all.

I finished my shift, cleaned everything, then called her phone back and let out a long five minute long tirade of expletives and other things I had been wanting to say to her for a long time, explaining to her how she immediately bought that load of horseshit from the owner and didn't even ask for my side of the story, let alone talk to anyone working at the covenience store (who saw the owner behave like an unmittigated jackass over nothing) to verify anything.

I got a job at that convenience store the very next day with a nice $3 raise over my previous salary. And got to watch from afar as that DD went to shit and the regional manager got demoted back to being a regular manager at a store down the highway.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I quit a job pretty suddenly to go to a better job, which was kind of a dick move, but the guy never sent me my last paycheck, which was an illegal dick move.
    So I stormed into his place and demanded my paycheck. I was not, admittedly, being nice or quiet about it. He said he wasn't going to give it to me because I didn't give notice and he threatened to call the cops. I had expected this and gossip was rampant at this place before I left, so I yelled something along the lines of, "Yes, please call the cops! I would love for you to explain why you are illegally withholding my paycheck from me! Then you can explain why you're having sex with your underage employee! Maybe whoever shows up will be the same cop who let you off of that DUI stop last month because you give him free food!" The customers all got up and left and I got my check.
    This is my only good work story.

L|ama wrote: »
    our teacher told us it stains stuff brown :|

It does. It might have worked? I don't think you could have gotten your hands on enough of it to offset how diluted it would be, not sure. All I remember from OChem is that KMnO(4) is a super strong oxidizer, so maybe some pipes would rust? Probably not.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've never quit a job. Apathy and good friends have made my job pretty good.

pillow on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    UPDATE: Slide guy has got himself one hell of an attorney
    ...Mr. Slater’s court-appointed lawyer, Howard Turman, said that Mr. Slater’s activation of the slide was not reckless. He said Mr. Slater followed the proper procedure for activating the slide, checking out the window first to make sure no one was on the tarmac who could be struck by it.

When asked why Mr. Slater chose to go avoid the conflict by taking the emergency slide, Mr. Turman replied, “It was right there.”

Butler on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the OP is almost as awesome as that guy tossing a puppy at the hell's angels then escaping on a stolen tractor.

Iskander on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't see why that guy didn't just report what the woman did if he was so mad about it. She probably would have gone to Actual Jail given the way we are with airplanes now.

This in no way takes away from his badassery though.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    ...Mr. Slater’s court-appointed lawyer, Howard Turman, said that Mr. Slater’s activation of the slide was not reckless. He said Mr. Slater followed the proper procedure for activating the slide, checking out the window first to make sure no one was on the tarmac who could be struck by it.

When asked why Mr. Slater chose to go avoid the conflict by taking the emergency slide, Mr. Turman replied, “It was right there.”

this dude rules

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Iskander wrote: »
    the OP is almost as awesome as that guy tossing a puppy at the hell's angels then escaping on a stolen tractor.

That was dumb.

This guy is a boss.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Seriously, this guy deserves a medal or something. Some people just need to be told they are fucking stupid and obnoxious, and on an airplane is a perfect place to do it. People are ignorant as all fuck riding on a plane or anywhere near an airport.. It's ridiculous.

Hunter on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wanna know what was said that got him so pissed off

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    "so hey did you watch inception? it was all totally a dream because the top was still spinning at the end oh my gosh!"

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Probably some asshole who thought they were more important than everyone else and couldn't follow the basic instructions about how to get off the fucking plane in some type of orderly fashion.

I've seen that guy on every plane ride I've ever been on.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

She slammed the overhead compartment door down on his head

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

seriously?

I would've ended the bitch

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

seriously?

I would've ended the bitch

Also, told him to fuck off when he asked for an apology. So yeah his actions were perfectly justified.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Geek wrote: »
    natek wrote: »
    where is the geek?

I have been watching buttloads of Phineas and Ferb

Is good, yes?

it got a mention on Psych and then it was having a marathon one day so I watched it

not bad

natek on
  • Options
    DeltaDelta Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder what brand of beer he grabbed when he left. Maybe the company will use this for advertising.

Delta on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Butler wrote: »

this dude rules

O'doyle does too.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I saw an episode of Phineas and Ferb once

it seemed like it was really good at what it was supposed to do, entertaining children while also educating them, but didn't really seem like something I'd watch of my own volition

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Should I watch this show

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it is a show for children that stays a show for children
    but it is charming and if nothing else is on you should try it out

natek on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TV keeps the proles content.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I guess I could go get my political science books and read them!?1

Artreus on