As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two Worlds 2

• Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I liked the magic system, but paired with the random chests, you were either an insane, firewall(which could kill anything, even at level 1, because of hitstun) spewing demigod, or were useless depending on how the RNG treated ya.

reddeath on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    RNG is my best friend/worst enemy.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I never really understood all those goons and fellow PA'ers who say that Two worlds was so terrible that it turned good. I always felt it was a halfassed attempt at a freeform RPG but hey, opinions OLOL and all that.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, it really was terrible. But there are some really terrible movies that I still love to watch. Same idea here. The fact its SO terrible is amusing in itself.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought the first one was okay. I'll check out the sequel.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok so I have read some reviews and watched a lot of gameplay and will be picking this up.
    They seem to have REALLY stepped up their game and I think everyone should forget about the first one cause this just seems to blow it away.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    From the impressions I get, it is basically 'Gothic meets Elder Scrolls' done right.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My friend who I gifted Gothic 4 to is really disappointed with it. I told him about this game and now he wants it like a fat kid wants chocolate.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll be keeping an eye open, but it's going to take a helluva lot more than a couple nifty looking videos to convince me that this game is good considering the original. I'm just not that fucking gullible.

Video game previews are not always indicative of the end product. This is nothing new.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    I'll be keeping an eye open, but it's going to take a helluva lot more than a couple nifty looking videos to convince me that this game is good considering the original. I'm just not that fucking gullible.

Video game previews are not always indicative of the end product. This is nothing new.

Basically every German review has praised this game to the fullest.
    The developers seem to have absolutely learned what they did wrong and fixed EVERYTHING.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

The developers seem to have absolutely learned what they did wrong and fixed EVERYTHING.

That's lovely, but I've seen plenty of German games praised (this is a German dev, right?) over there when theyre just plain garbage.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I've seen really good impressions from American journalists too. At my work we even got a pamphlet guide to "Two Worlds II" and it had the tagline "It's good this time."

It started off like

"If you played Two Worlds, we apologize. If you haven't, don't worry about it, just know that Two Worlds II will be great."

It had a journalist testimony who had seen the game having trouble cause he was trying to convince the other journalists he wasn't making a joke when he said he enjoyed TW2. I enjoyed the pamphlet.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, just don't get too excited just yet. Guess what German reviewers gave the original Two Worlds?

Yeah, same fucking score.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The game was criticized for its poor graphics, interface and voice acting, which was done by Reality Pump staff rather than professional voice-actors.[16] In Germany however, where Two Worlds was first released, reception was much more positive, receiving scores between 80% and 93% by over 50 different websites and reviewers.[17]

Figgy on
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty convinced that German gamers have a gigantic glitch tolerance or something. Look at "The Guild" games.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So far the first player reports are pretty much in line with the review scores though.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Keep in mind, the game won't be out for a few months.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to be great. The selection of third person RPG titles on the 360 is meek, at best. I'm just not keen on jumping on any bandwagons simply because some German reviewers have a boner, when those some German reviewers were hard for the last one... and it was a fucking waste of plastic.

Until we see some North American reviews closer to release, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Figgy on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What makes me seethe with seethieness over Two Worlds is that there were a lot of things I really liked but then OH GOD, WHY
    WHY WOULD YOU DO THESE HORRIBLE THINGS

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gaf seems to love the game. One guy is 20 hours in and is praising it for "getting rid of Two World 1's foul stench".

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

Wait a second, doesn't this happen with pretty much every European RPG because what do those uncultured American swine know about proper roleplaying?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I find that a lot of the European gaming market is like the American gaming market was like 15 years ago, before it went mainstream and got endlessly crappier and more expensive as a result.

They have no desire for consolization, detest dumbing down, have serious complaints about simplified UIs, consistently champion depth in games along with choice and consequence.

As long as they keep making games in the vein of gothic, stalker, the witcher, and two worlds, I'll keep buying them.

I'll never put faith in mainstream American reviewers after they got on the lets hate on alpha protocol bandwagon. They have simply become less and less relevant as time has moved on. You can only give the same FPS coming out on a yearly basis 8 - 10/10 so many times, citing your immurshun and how COOL the graphics were, and how it didn't LAG on your computer before I stop caring what you think.

reddeath on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    immurshun?

Figgy on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think it was immersion, maybe? I don't know

Dixon on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've probably spent a good 10 hours with Oblivion, easily 60 with the original two worlds. I'm kind of disappointed at these glowing reviews and hope its just some big internet irony joke.

The original was the quintessential B movie PC game. I played it long after it was patched though so I didn't experience the horse to desktop crashes or anything else.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Whatever, as long as I can get my cheevos I'm happy.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I find that a lot of the European gaming market is like the American gaming market was like 15 years ago, before it went mainstream and got endlessly crappier and more expensive as a result.

They have no desire for consolization, detest dumbing down, have serious complaints about simplified UIs, consistently champion depth in games along with choice and consequence.

That's just not true

The biggest European companies are focusing pretty hard on mainstream and especially consoles right now.
    • Ubisoft - Assassins Creed 1 and 2. Very console focused products.

• Lionhead - Fable. The sequel didn't even come out on the PC

• Criterion - Only console games

• Rockstar Games - They did release GTA4 on PC eventually, but it was a horrible port. Their last game was console exclusive too. Extremely console focused company nowadays

• DICE - Battlefield games used to be PC exclusive and are not, anymore. DICE is making a big break into consoles with games like BF:Bad Company (the first one was console exclusive) and Battlefield III. It's probably the market they will focus on in the future now.

• Crytek - Crysis was PC exclusive and the sequel will be out on every console

There is no separate business mentality in Europe. It's funny you mentioned STALKER in your post because its sequel will be out on consoles too :). The Witcher was also planned to be released on consoles but the company couldn't afford it.

If a company has the means to develop multi-platform, they will. So acting like Europe is not all over consoles is pretty ridiculous. For that matter, acting like all console games are inherently less deep than PC games is also silly

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    [*]Lionhead - Fable. The sequels don't even come out on the PC anymore

You lucky bastards.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    awesome

The story/writing/voice acting is supposedly pretty average but the German version seems to be stellar, so I'll probably just pick up that one. :p

The 360 version is apparently also very nice.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The original's voice acting wasn't even done by voice actors. It was just the development staff reading into a microphone.

It'd be hard not to beat that this time.

Figgy on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dixon wrote: »
    I think it was immersion, maybe? I don't know

I think he is mocking people who like immersion

I think

The sheer bitter pretension in that post is sort of impenetrable

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I gotta say this game is damn good-looking from the previews

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So is this out in January? Have Southpeak finished with their legal battles?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Really, they should have distanced themselves from the first game and made a whole other IP. They need to wash off that taint.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wonder if I should finish the first game before I play Two Worlds 2, but it was kind of boring. I didn't hate it but after a point I lost my drive to continue.

Can someone just post a story summary instead?

Also, Two Worlds 2 could not be coming out at a worst time. I believe it was just released in Europe, and I already have Fallout New Vegas, Drakensang River of Time and Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga to play. These are some very large RPGs! Plus I recently installed Titan Quest.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Can someone just post a story summary instead?

Random guy shows up.

Kills some stuff.

Gets caught in a hill.

Gets caught in a tree.

Gets caught in the hill again.

The End.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The story is thus:
    Bad guy steals your sister.

Another guy tells you to collect four magic widgets.

Your sister talks to you about something with magic.

You collect the four magic widgets.

Turns out the other guy was even worse and is now Satan.

You kill Satan.

Something about your sister I don't even know.

The end.

Also you may become Satan too if you're really evil or something and your sister kind of stands next to you.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, I've been debating whether or not to get this on PC or console, and the latter is tempting for various reasons, my big TV being one of them. I decided to see if there were any comparison screenshots. PCGames.de, as usually, has some up. I can't tell a difference between the PC and PS3 versions, but the 360 one looks fairly awful.

Edit: I just watched the beginning portion of the game, too. The presentation is so much better than the first. The animations, the way the camera moves when you walk and the graphics in general are all very good. The voice work still isn't great, though. It is much better than the previous game, but instead of being terrible and loathsome it's now just sub-par.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The people over at GAF say that the 360 version looks fairly close to the max PC graphic settings. It's GAF though.

e: http://h-2.abload.de/img/twoworlds22010-11-12132ap6.jpg best water effects in a game ever?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Judging by how much water in fable 3 lowers the frame rate on the 360, I'm skeptical that screenshot is genuine.

Figgy on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Really, they should have distanced themselves from the first game and made a whole other IP. They need to wash off that taint.

I see what you did there. :winky:

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The people over at GAF say that the 360 version looks fairly close to the max PC graphic settings. It's GAF though.

e: http://h-2.abload.de/img/twoworlds22010-11-12132ap6.jpg best water effects in a game ever?

Hmmm, I guess the comparisons I looked at could be wrong. Here are a few of those images:

http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2010/11/tw2_vergleich_1.jpg

http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2010/11/tw2_vergleich_3.jpg

http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2010/11/tw2_vergleich_4.jpg

http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2010/11/tw2_vergleich_5.jpg

Maybe they just have the brightness up too high for the 360 version or other off capture settings, but I swear it looks a lot blurrier.

Dashui on