As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darksiders] Thread II : the hideous offspring of every game you love.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I was sword 90% of the time with the occasional fist thrown in near the end. The general thread at the time was quite varied in how people said they did things though, which indicates to me that it's all viable and to go with what you find more fun.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think that there's anything the scythe can do that the sword can't manage just as well. Myself, I usually stick with the sword and then concentrate on getting and boosting up the scythe towards the endgame when souls are more plentiful.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    I don't think that there's anything the scythe can do that the sword can't manage just as well. Myself, I usually stick with the sword and then concentrate on getting and boosting up the scythe towards the endgame when souls are more plentiful.
    If you get the special scythe, it sure does. It gets you more souls ;)

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It should be noted that the sword automatically reached full level via story elements. Whereas the scythe and fists do not.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought all the weapons were useful in some way. I used the Scythe quite a bit.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, any rumblings of a sequel yet? I want more M rated Zelda.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just something come 2012 and maybe playing as the other horseman during the same time as Darksiders 1 takes place.

Then again the world ends in 2012 so it could be just prophecy rather then really good marketing.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, every time I think about this game it makes me mad. Currently the fact that the story makes no sense whatsoever is irking me.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Man, every time I think about this game it makes me mad. Currently the fact that the story makes no sense whatsoever is irking me.

It makes perfect sense, as far as the information given. Yes, there are some loose threads for the sequel, but it's largely self contained.

What's makin' u mad, bro?

Houn on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought all the weapons were useful in some way. I used the Scythe quite a bit.

I used the Scythe a lot too. Mainly using it at the end of sword combos to harvest more souls. It also works great against those little spiders.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Scythe is fantastic crowd control. Damage wise not so much, but crowd control? YESSIR. I used it when being swarmed to clear space. It's got great moves to that effect.
    Sword is great at fucking up one guy and okay at two or three at once but isn't so good at crowd control.
    Fists are mad crazy damage. I whipped this thing out against super dudes and guys with lots of health. It's not so bad against groups of enemies that are really slow or are susceptible to knockback when you get the ground pound, but that leaves you in one spot for ages so if there is an enemy that wont get affected you will get hit.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Houn wrote: »

It makes perfect sense, as far as the information given. Yes, there are some loose threads for the sequel, but it's largely self contained.

What's makin' u mad, bro?

If it makes perfect sense to you, help me out with my post at the top of this page.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So I just beat it last night. Pretty satisfying, though the story kind of confuses me
    So, Abaddon wanted to strike against Hell before Hell struck first. He tried to get the angels to go with the plan, but they denied him.

So he got Azrael and Ulthane together and forged the Armageddon Blade and smashed all the seals but the Seventh, the final one that would unleash the Four Horsemen. That way it drew Hell out to Earth, making it look like he was right in the first place so he could destroy their forces for good, but didn't involve the Apocalypse.

But then he failed and Straga killed him, and a woman's voice turned him into the Destroyer which is a fire dragon. Also the Charred Council sent War out anyway because they don't like him, and they wanted him to kill everything because the Charred Council doesn't really want balance, but to control the universe instead?

And I thought you were going after the Destroyer from the beginning, before Abaddon was killed and turned into the Destroyer?

Can anyone help me out here?

You're mostly there. As I remember it, and it's been awhile:
    An unknown woman offered to turn Abbadon into the Destroyer; her identity has not been revealed yet, but there's a "Lilith" in some concept art somewhere, so that's the most likely candidate. The Charred Council knew that War was innocent all along, however, without proof of Abbadon's treachery, they felt they had to act as though War was at fault and play along in order to maintain their stance of neutrality. They concocted the plan to imprison him for the 100 years, then give him a chance to clear his name, hoping he would unmask the real culprits and deal with the problem.

So, really, it all was just a bunch of supernatural red tape.

And I don't think anyone can explain the whole "Going after the Destroyer before Abbadon became the Destroyer" bit. Chalk it up to "The Destroyer" being something of a legend, or a "title" that many beings have had.

That help?

Houn on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmm...I have to disagree with part of your assessment there Houn.
    You seem to imply that the Council was still relatively neutral in its proceedings and just playing the game with War in order to "play along" so that they could get to the truth.

You learn from both Azrael and the Watcher that the Council knew beforehand of Abaddons plans, that there never was any real question of who the culprit in the whole ordeal was. They framed War by letting him lose then punishing him all the while knowing that eventually he would find the truth; but that after that they were still planning on killing him via the Watcher before he could cause any problems by letting everyone else know that the Council was corrupt and let the shit hit the fan.

They exist purely to keep a balance between heaven and hell and to make sure the Creators plan goes according to...plan. But the fact that they knew what was happening and still let it happen and used War in the way they did shows that they are no longer following the direction set out by the Creator.

Anyway, not really related, I was kind of disappointed to learn some time ago when they said that Darksiders 2 wouldn't be a sequel but would take place during the same timeframe as the first game and just tell a different story. I find that to be pretty lame. You don't end the game the way they do and they not fucking continue that shit for the sequel.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I stand corrected, you are right, Dude.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    But yeah; if anyone gets confused by the whole
    Abaddon/Destroyer
    thing;

Just think of the Dread Pirate Roberts and it makes more sense. :D

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think this raises a whole range of other questions.

Like, what the hell the Horsemen and the Council do or were supposed to do beforehand. And the whole issue of tricking War makes no sense either.

On a general level you can piece together a narrative of sorts but the specifics are just all messed up.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think this raises a whole range of other questions.

Like, what the hell the Horsemen and the Council do or were supposed to do beforehand. And the whole issue of tricking War makes no sense either.

On a general level you can piece together a narrative of sorts but the specifics are just all messed up.

You're in luck, since that's exactly what the sequel is going to be about.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well it's implied that the horsemen were effectively in stasis until the Apocalypse; and when they were called forth by the breaking of the seals they were merely supposed to keep check on the sides to make sure they were playing by the rules.

Which is also more or less what the role of the council is supposed to be. The Horsemen are just their means to contact the mortal plane when the time came for the apocalypse. Aside from that role, they were just supposed to be neutral arbiters of the creators will to make sure everything went as was planned. That's all laid out in the intro movie.

And tricking war makes sense when you take into account that
    the council is no longer neutral but is in it for their own ends; we don't quite know what those ends are as of yet but it's safe to assume they're trying to play heaven and hell off each other to gain control over everything in the creators absence. Tricking War was just a ruse to get everything totally fucked up and to keep their hands ostensibly clean of the matter from outside observers.

The fine details aren't there, sure. But it is the first game in a series and many things were left open ended purposefully. But it all makes sense within the context we're given for the first game.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aww, darksiders 2 is not a true sequel? That sucks because the ending was pretty damn cool

Completed the game just now, fun times. Didn't use scythe at all and the gauntlets only for AoE damage/control with the tremor drop and earthquake.

I was completely stacked full on undyings and greater healing things but I hardly needed them for the final battles, don't think I lost anything at all in the first fight and the second wasn't too bad on my health.

Also, the top hat skeleton was mighty brilliant.

Alegis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyway, not really related, I was kind of disappointed to learn some time ago when they said that Darksiders 2 wouldn't be a sequel but would take place during the same timeframe as the first game and just tell a different story. I find that to be pretty lame. You don't end the game the way they do and they not fucking continue that shit for the sequel.

Now wait... Isn't the second one going to have four players? How are they going to do that if it takes place at the same time?

urahonky on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

Now wait... Isn't the second one going to have four players? How are they going to do that if it takes place at the same time?
    Clearly whoever we're following has the mysterious power to create up to 3 other clones of themselves.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I never read anything where they said it would be 4-player. Did they? I just know that's what everyone on the forums said after beating the first one. "Woo! The 2nd one better be 4-player co-op!"

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chance wrote: »

I never read anything where they said it would be 4-player. Did they? I just know that's what everyone on the forums said after beating the first one. "Woo! The 2nd one better be 4-player co-op!"

I thought they did. But I might be wrong... I get all the trickle down information from you guys. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well it's implied that the horsemen were effectively in stasis until the Apocalypse; and when they were called forth by the breaking of the seals they were merely supposed to keep check on the sides to make sure they were playing by the rules.

Which is also more or less what the role of the council is supposed to be. The Horsemen are just their means to contact the mortal plane when the time came for the apocalypse. Aside from that role, they were just supposed to be neutral arbiters of the creators will to make sure everything went as was planned. That's all laid out in the intro movie.

And tricking war makes sense when you take into account that
    the council is no longer neutral but is in it for their own ends; we don't quite know what those ends are as of yet but it's safe to assume they're trying to play heaven and hell off each other to gain control over everything in the creators absence. Tricking War was just a ruse to get everything totally fucked up and to keep their hands ostensibly clean of the matter from outside observers.

The fine details aren't there, sure. But it is the first game in a series and many things were left open ended purposefully. But it all makes sense within the context we're given for the first game.

It's been a few months but I feel I have to correct this story post!
    My understanding is that they knew of Abaddon's plan, but did not have any hard evidence to prove what they were claiming. If they had gone after him without proof, it would have been interpreted as siding with hell. They thought letting Abaddon carry on with his plan would be best. Sending War on a "revenge mission" was just a way to ensure he would be punished without the council ever taking sides to outward observers: the whole thing is just the fault of War.

The only problem with this is that humanity doesn't seem to have any worth in that analysis, but I'm not sure it's been mentioned if the council has any responsibilities to protect humans.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My spider-sense tells me the next game will have you play this guy.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My spider-sense tells me the next game will have you play this guy.

That gun doesn't even make any sense.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It runs on awesome

Turkey on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just beat the game. It's a suitably epic Zelda game, and satisfied my fix for now.

Heleor on
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This was easily one of my top 10 games. I thought it was very well done/paced and I enjoyed the story though it did get confusing near the end. I actually bought this game twice once on my 360 then again through steam to play on my PC. I think I liked the KBAM controls infinitely better than the xbox.

Very excited for 2 I hope it is at least as awesome as the first.

also, if you look at the legendary weapon enhancements they are tailored towards a specific one of the 4 horsemen's primary weapon. Wars to chaos eater, deaths to the scythe etc

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And the guns one still makes the gun shit

It's unfortunate

Alegis on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I was super disappointed with the performance of the revolver.

The grapple chain was hilarious good times though, it was like playing DMC 4 without having to deal with Nero's whiny ass.

THQ must be doing its best to ensure that no one cares about the second game. They'd better have one helluva storyline cooked up to make up for not continuing from the awesome note that Darksiders ended on. I was really looking forward to serving up some asswhuppings with the full Horsemen crew.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We'll hear something soon. Danny Bilson is a higher-up at THQ:

1-159.jpg

Some folks think the game will be appearing on the cover of the next Game Informer, but this ain't a hard nut to crack: it'll be at E3.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Awesome.

Darksiders was in my top 5 of last year, can't wait to see what's next.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Chance wrote: »

It's not confirmed, but pretty much implied since they've gone on record saying that DS 1 was supposed to be co-op from the beginning, but they weren't big enough as a studio to pull it off. I guess it isn't for certain that they can pull it off now, but it wouldn't surprise me.

But, probably speaking as a minority, I would hate to see it happen. I've never found co-op with more than one player to be particularly fun, and designing the game around it will almost certainly impact the single player content in a negative way, as it usually does. And that's what's important to me.

That, compounded with hearing that it probably won't even be direct sequel, completely decimates my expectations for DS 2. Which is a shame, because I really did love the first game. Still interested in seeing how it turns out, but not getting my hopes up at all.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    BluefistBluefist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just finished darksiders last night, it was a surprise that a game that very much has a kitchen sink approach to it is just so good. It was never boring, and it never spent to much time with any one mechanic/puzzle. The only bad thing I could say about it is that the controls may be to much for some.

Now I know, the game is very much compared to Zelda* but I got a big Legacy of Kain vibe of the game in both overall tone and the basic play mechanics.

*I've never actually played a Zelda game, I plan on changing this once I finish off my thesis.

Bluefist on
    STEAM & PSN: Bluefist56
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I must finish the game before E3, it seems.
    It is 95% done, anyway. But yes, I do too think it is very good and deserves more than a sequel.

Definetly looking up for more stuff from Vigil Games!!

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know. While I enjoyed Darksiders I hope they tweak the combat a little bit from the gameplay and visual perspective.

I would say that, as far as visuals go, I hope they beef up how devastating the attacks look the feel of impact when you do them. Kind of like what THQ is doing with that Warhammer game.

Also, add a bit more variety to combat and making up the damage you do.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darksiders 2?!?!
    untitled-10.jpg

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's not War's face! It goes like this:

Darksiders 2?

:x

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767