As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guns] FIRE EVERYTHING!

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    I'd respond to that but I dont want to get this thread closed, how about we move on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Why would responding to that get the thread closed? Surely we can be reasonable?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Why would responding to that get the thread closed? Surely we can be reasonable?

I don't really disagree with you even, necessarily, but this thread is a hobby thread, actual political arguments should (and often, do) have their own thread.

It has to be that way for contentious topics.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Bump-fire stocks are a dumb solution to a dumb problem (closing of civilian MG registry via Hughes Amendment).

There is absolutely NO scenario where a civilian needs a full-auto "machine gun". It's not a dumb problem at all.

Without getting into the politics of it, Civilians can own machine guns right now. Civilians can own explosives that are classified as Destructive Devices. These only require tax stamps (which involve an in depth background check, finger prints, and depending on locale CLEO signature) for transfer.

All the Hughes Amendment did was close the Civilian MG Registry so that no post 86 items could be added. AFAIK only one legally owned MG on the civilian registry has ever been tied to a crime, and it was the murder of a CI by a Law Enforcement Officer which occurred in 1988.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    IIRC the cop used a MAC11 from his departments armory so it wasnt even his.

That officer's name? Leon S. Kennedy. And now you know the rest of the story.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    To move back towards the topic of the thread, does anyone have a positive or negative opinion of the Ruger American Rifle series?

I'm on the fence about grabbing one in either .270 or .30-06.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    To move back towards the topic of the thread, does anyone have a positive or negative opinion of the Ruger American Rifle series?

I've been nothing but happy with my Savage, I don't know if Ruger has adopted an Accutrigger type system - aside from Savage, Marlin and Mossberg have, idk about Remington - but if you're getting a base model I'd maybe look at those unless you're going to drop a Timney in it. Some of the upgraded RAR models are quite nice, though.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Ruger makes a good rifle. Go with the .30-06

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle and while the plastic stock feels kinda cheap (and light) the rest of the gun is top notch. Shoots great and has a very stable feel to it.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Personally, I would suggest 308 over 30-06 or 270. Due to the military sales making the 308 rifles extremely popular, you can find 308 cheaper than 30-06 or 270, to the tune of 10%-20% cheaper, and the performance of the rounds are identical in nearly all cases, as the most common rounds for all 3 are 130 to 180 gr bullets, loaded to pretty much identical FPS.

Edit: speaking of machine guns, let me just say that if you have a private machine gun range near you, join it. You'll meet so many law enforcement folks that the social contacts alone will be well worth the yearly membership fee.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Basticle wrote: »

So American it hurts

How do you like that Freedom Munitions? My buddy linked me to that today.

I have this urge to save up for a CZ Scorpion Evo 3. I don't think I've ever been that stoked over a 9mm carbine but it pushes the right buttons for me.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Ruger makes a good rifle. Go with the .30-06

Cool. I was thinking .270 because of softer recoil but still useful for long range shooting, but I'm a big guy and shot .30-06 before so recoil isn't really a major issue. Even though I planned to get a .22LR bolt action as well to be the workhorse for skill polishing for the other gun so PPR could be mitigated, .30-06 does seem to be about half as expensive.
    hsu wrote: »
    Personally, I would suggest 308 over 30-06 or 270. Due to the military sales making the 308 rifles extremely popular, you can find 308 cheaper than 30-06 or 270, to the tune of 10%-20% cheaper, and the performance of the rounds are identical in nearly all cases, as the most common rounds for all 3 are 130 to 180 gr bullets, loaded to pretty much identical FPS.

Edit: speaking of machine guns, let me just say that if you have a private machine gun range near you, join it. You'll meet so many law enforcement folks that the social contacts alone will be well worth the yearly membership fee.

I have a semi-auto .308 so getting a bolt action .308 isn't out of the question due to common cartridge. I originally considered .270 or .30-06 just for the sake of getting into a new cartridge. I also may use this as an avenue into reloading to bring the cost of .270 or .30-06 down in price, though that's a longer term ambition.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I have a semi-auto .308 so getting a bolt action .308 isn't out of the question due to common cartridge. I originally considered .270 or .30-06 just for the sake of getting into a new cartridge. I also may use this as an avenue into reloading to bring the cost of .270 or .30-06 down in price, though that's a longer term ambition.

Depending on how much you're shooting it and how much precision and range you're after, you may also want to consider the effects off different calibers on barrel life. .30-06 wears out barrels faster than .308 will though I forget estimates since I came across the info a long time ago. Not going to be a concern for everyone but it can be one if you start to get into long range shooting.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    Picked up a black rain ordnance drop in trigger for my new build, it'll be here in a few days. I'm kind of excited about it actually. Also in regards in to the Evo carbine, I have a want for one. Just not a 1k want.

• Options

I've been nothing but happy with my Savage, I don't know if Ruger has adopted an Accutrigger type system - aside from Savage, Marlin and Mossberg have, idk about Remington - but if you're getting a base model I'd maybe look at those unless you're going to drop a Timney in it. Some of the upgraded RAR models are quite nice, though.

Is that the Savage + optic package?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Hello! I am not sure how I missed this thread but with the fall weather I have been thinking about picking up my first rifle. An inexpensive beginners .22 to be more precise. I think i'd also prefer something bolt-action or lever-action but i'm open to suggestions. I'd like to know what your preferences and thoughts in the thread.

The only thing I can say beyond that initial preference is most of what i've seen from Savage Arms is super ugly. If I end up putting a lot of rounds through the .22 I'd like to pick up something like a Mosin eventually but I know that would be a horrible place to start off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't know anything about bolt action rimfires, I grew up with Ruger 10/22 semi autos.

Also I don't know if I'd recommend a Mosin as a starter rifle anymore. I own one, but I got it years ago for pretty cheap. Some call it a garbage rod and lob criticisms at it, and I can't really disagree even as an owner. They can be fun to shoot but the price of both the rifles and 7.62x54r has increased the last couple of years.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't know anything about bolt action rimfires, I grew up with Ruger 10/22 semi autos.

Also I don't know if I'd recommend a Mosin as a starter rifle anymore. I own one, but I got it years ago for pretty cheap. Some call it a garbage rod and lob criticisms at it, and I can't really disagree even as an owner. They can be fun to shoot but the price of both the rifles and 7.62x54r has increased the last couple of years.

Oh yeah. I was saying I know a Mosin is a bad idea. That's something i'd consider much further down the line if I really picked up the hobby. It's prohibitively expensive and considering some of the oddities a bad place to start.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

That's the one. Axis II comes with the Accutrigger, the Axis I doesn't - The premium on the MSRP between the too is about $70.

The Weaver 3x9 on top of it isn't half bad for a budget scope, either. You're paying $39 for the scope in the package deal, it's like a $70 scope on Amazon. The .223

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Kaspa-3-9X40-Ballistic-X-Scope/dp/B0065OGMF2

Having said all that - this was my first gun and I was looking for an entryway into an expensive hobby as cheap as possible. A lot of people apparently like to use the action and barrel on an Axis II as a starting point; throw away the (shitty, ugly) stock and go from there. The Marlin (used, couldn't tell you what model) and Remington 700 ADL I was trying out worked noticeably smoother, but the triggers aren't as nice. Gander has the 700 ADL for $400 right now.

Looking at replacing the stock with this: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a374d06112_featherweight-thumbhole-savage-axis-detachable-box-mag-short-action-factory-barrel-channel--pepper

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Oh yeah. I was saying I know a Mosin is a bad idea. That's something i'd consider much further down the line if I really picked up the hobby. It's prohibitively expensive and considering some of the oddities a bad place to start.

Mosins are a fucking blast but these days to get one that's not fully covered in cosmoline you'll have to degrease and without pitting in the barrel with matching numbers you'll spend $300. Also like it's been said thanks to the import bans getting volume 7.62x54 is harder.

.308 is cheaper than 7x54 for the first time in ever. That's why I don't keep more than a hundred rounds or so for mine at any given time.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hello! I am not sure how I missed this thread but with the fall weather I have been thinking about picking up my first rifle. An inexpensive beginners .22 to be more precise. I think i'd also prefer something bolt-action or lever-action but i'm open to suggestions. I'd like to know what your preferences and thoughts in the thread.

The only thing I can say beyond that initial preference is most of what i've seen from Savage Arms is super ugly. If I end up putting a lot of rounds through the .22 I'd like to pick up something like a Mosin eventually but I know that would be a horrible place to start off.

ruger's 10/22 offers are pretty solid, I have the 10/22 takedown and its a nice little shooter.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

Mosins are a fucking blast but these days to get one that's not fully covered in cosmoline you'll have to degrease and without pitting in the barrel with matching numbers you'll spend $300. Also like it's been said thanks to the import bans getting volume 7.62x54 is harder.

.308 is cheaper than 7x54 for the first time in ever. That's why I don't keep more than a hundred rounds or so for mine at any given time.

Yup that's definitely a project i'm not nearly ready to undertake.

Is it unwise to check out local pawnshops and things or would I be best going to a gander mountain or similar outdoors store?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Henry is still the standard for lever action .22s AFAIK.

CZ 452/453s are great bolt action .22s though some models are not so cheap. The youth/trainer models that use less expensive wood are the way to save money.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I mean as far as center fire rifles go a Mosin is still relatively cheap, but now with the huge semi-auto center fire market for just a little more you can get an AR or AK clone chambered in a cartridge that is more available. And between those two price points are some seemingly (I say seemingly because I'm not knowledgeable on the quality of new bolt action rifles) nice bolt action rifles that are also chambered in more common cartridges.

Rimfire is still a good cheap entry point to shooting, and I've yet to encounter a range, indoor or outdoor, that doesn't allow use of rimfire rifles.

That's the one. Axis II comes with the Accutrigger, the Axis I doesn't - The premium on the MSRP between the too is about $70.

The Weaver 3x9 on top of it isn't half bad for a budget scope, either. You're paying $39 for the scope in the package deal, it's like a $70 scope on Amazon. The .223

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Kaspa-3-9X40-Ballistic-X-Scope/dp/B0065OGMF2

Having said all that - this was my first gun and I was looking for an entryway into an expensive hobby as cheap as possible. A lot of people apparently like to use the action and barrel on an Axis II as a starting point; throw away the (shitty, ugly) stock and go from there. The Marlin (used, couldn't tell you what model) and Remington 700 ADL I was trying out worked noticeably smoother, but the triggers aren't as nice. Gander has the 700 ADL for $400 right now.

Looking at replacing the stock with this: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a374d06112_featherweight-thumbhole-savage-axis-detachable-box-mag-short-action-factory-barrel-channel--pepper

Cool. I don't know much about the quality of bolt action guns because out of the firearms I own only one is so, so I'll have to check out these options as well. Really nice choice on the furniture as well.
    musanman wrote: »

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle and while the plastic stock feels kinda cheap (and light) the rest of the gun is top notch. Shoots great and has a very stable feel to it.

There's something I really like about the look of the Ruger Scout, but the price point is a little much for me. I paid less than the MSRP of a Ruger Scout for my PTR 91 with wide hand guard and a hydrodip job. If it wasn't for the fact that I like the Mini 14 (and so did my dad due to the A Team, so it ended up being his favorite rifle to shoot of mine) I wouldn't have paid as close to MSRP for it as I did. Ruger's offerings, especially with the Mini platform, don't seem to be in line with the market as far as price point with all of these cheap decent quality ARs available now. I'm not sure how they've managed to maintain an almost $800 MSRP for the Mini 14 and 30 for the last few years.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Another thing to take into account with bolt action rifle platforms: Availability of parts, both stock and aftermarket. Remington 700s are like Ruger 10/22s in terms of how much stuff is available for them because they are so prevalent. Savage and Marlin aren't exactly uncommon either, but there's a noticeable gap according to a friend who does long range shooting events with his daughter. It's not a primary consideration in terms of what to get, but worth considering if you need a tiebreaker between two or more platforms.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Henry is still the standard for lever action .22s AFAIK.

CZ 452/453s are great bolt action .22s though some models are not so cheap. The youth/trainer models that use less expensive wood are the way to save money.

This guy knows what's up. I've had a Henry .22lr lever for... seven years now? I've put probably 2000 rounds through it, and I absolutely love it. It fires beautifully, the action is smooth, and I can hit a target at 100 yards with an open sight with it. Also, they're not expensive. I think I ended up only paying $250 for mine new.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The Henry lever-actions that i've seen are absolutely gorgeous. However, I think i'd be looking at plopping down another hundred bucks or so which would put me into after the Christmas season as far as personal spending for fun goes.

Is there a definitive stance on going used?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Henry lever-actions that i've seen are absolutely gorgeous. However, I think i'd be looking at plopping down another hundred bucks or so which would put me into after the Christmas season as far as personal spending for fun goes.

Lots of us buy used guns. Heck, if you're a Curio and Relic collector, by definition you're buying used stuff.

Tough part is often finding what you want on the used market. You're at the mercy of what others are putting up for sale. Around here, I rarely see used rimfire rifles for sale, it's almost always handguns.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Lots of us buy used guns. Heck, if you're a Curio and Relic collector, by definition you're buying used stuff.

Tough part is often finding what you want on the used market. You're at the mercy of what others are putting up for sale. Around here, I rarely see used rimfire rifles for sale, it's almost always handguns.

I'll be going out I think Friday afternoon and taking a look at what all of the local stores have in stock. Ohio isn't exactly gun shy so that's in my favor. My more knowledgeable friends won't be able to come with me to give me the heads up on what to look for when purchasing though. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't opening myself up to being easily misguided.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DUE,

Re: Pawn Shops etc. The thing is, you're likely going to buy a used gun unless you just REALLY want a brand new rifle, and in either case, you can't return guns, so whatever you buy you're keeping or sending back to the manufacturer, whether it's from Gander Mtn or a Pawn Shop.

Now, I'd personally stay away from Gander. They run good deals on new stuff from time to time but their markup on used stuff is so bad I once saw them put out a used Ruger 10/22 (a $200 rifle) for $320. That $300 mosin is the pawn shop/gun shop price. Gander would charge $450. They charge $600 for an SKS and you can get one for $350 anywhere else.

Stick to your local independently owned gun stores, then pawn shops, then big box retailers, in that order.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also DUE, I dunno how much you are caring about guns and whistles and aftermarket parts.

I have a Marlin XT-22. It's a simple bolt-action magazine fed .22 rifle that you can mount a scope on if you want.

Nothing fancy, but everything I wanted, and probably everything you do. I put a real cheap scope on mine because there is almost no kick because relatively thick barreled .22 rifle. I put a sling on because why not, and a bipod for shooting prone.

It works well.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I've got an old Mossberg 500 that a friend who moved into DC (and could not legally posses a long barrel) gave to me some years ago. We've kept it in good condition oiled, cleaned and plugged since but have not shot it. I'm planning to take it skeet shooting with @Radiation and would like to swap to a longer barrel. I'm pretty sure it's got the 18.5" barrel on it (was purchased by the original owner for home defense).

I don't know much about shotguns or skeet. I know I'll be at a disadvantage using a pump for the second shot, but I don't particularly mind. What barrel should I pick up, what price can I pay, can anyone recommend somewhere online?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I doubt you'll be at a disadvantage with your pump. I've busted lots of clays with an 870. Mossberg 500 is a fine shotgun.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/parts-by-gun-model/mossberg/500-535-590-and-88/500-barrels.do

You will want to go with a 28" barrel. That's pretty standard on bird guns. Some professional trap and skeet go longer, but 28" will be fine.

Now, buying a new gun for use in trap and skeet is an entirely different story.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe, you'll be fine as is. I learned skeet with an 18" Mossberg, and it wasn't the barrel length that caused me to miss. Just shoot at clays on the upward arc - if you miss, ignore the clay on the downward arc. Aka, the longer barrel primarily helps the longer ranged shots, but your accuracy decreases for those anyways (due to wind, random spread, etc), so you're always better off learning to shoot the clay quicker, when it's closer, when barrel length makes less difference.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    We could do single shot. Or swap guns. I'll be renting theirs which I think are mostly over-unders. Buddy of mine brought his pump last time and seemed to have no issues.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Make sure the barrel you get has the right choke for skeet shooting-or has interchangeable ones and you can get a skeet choke for it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Radiation wrote: »
    We could do single shot. Or swap guns. I'll be renting theirs which I think are mostly over-unders. Buddy of mine brought his pump last time and seemed to have no issues.

I'm not worried about it. I was just staving off any comments that I should buy an over under or semi. I'd like to shoot my gun.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Mossberg 500 is SO much fun.

You should check out Demolition Ranch to see all the ammo they've put through it over the years. Spark plugs, Gummy bears, etc.

• Options
    I've pretty much done about as much research as I can possibly do on the CZ Scorpion carbine short of actually finding a place that has it available to shoot.

I've also made up my mind and decided I will save my pennies to purchase it. After that, I can start considering optics and suppressors.

Dangerous living across the highway from a Cabela's that carries it and a friend who regularly gives me coupons for friend's and family event discounts.

• Options
    DUE,

Re: Pawn Shops etc. The thing is, you're likely going to buy a used gun unless you just REALLY want a brand new rifle, and in either case, you can't return guns, so whatever you buy you're keeping or sending back to the manufacturer, whether it's from Gander Mtn or a Pawn Shop.

Now, I'd personally stay away from Gander. They run good deals on new stuff from time to time but their markup on used stuff is so bad I once saw them put out a used Ruger 10/22 (a $200 rifle) for $320. That $300 mosin is the pawn shop/gun shop price. Gander would charge $450. They charge $600 for an SKS and you can get one for $350 anywhere else.

Stick to your local independently owned gun stores, then pawn shops, then big box retailers, in that order.

Thanks for the hands up on the mark up. If I went used I definitely wouldn't consider one of the big retail stores. I just didn't want to say Fin, Feather, and Fur or some other Ohio only store so I just substituted a place that was more well known. I think within a 5 mile radius of me there are 5 different places I could choose from. If I expand that to 10 the number goes up exponentially. That is probably something that people would either love or find terrifying. :shrugs:
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Also DUE, I dunno how much you are caring about guns and whistles and aftermarket parts.

I have a Marlin XT-22. It's a simple bolt-action magazine fed .22 rifle that you can mount a scope on if you want.

Nothing fancy, but everything I wanted, and probably everything you do. I put a real cheap scope on mine because there is almost no kick because relatively thick barreled .22 rifle. I put a sling on because why not, and a bipod for shooting prone.

It works well.

I have considered Marlin. You're the first person i've talked to who actually owned one though. But yeah i'm looking for something super simple and that certainly fits all of my needs. Is there anything in particular that you don't like about it?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.