As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman. Disgaea-Diablo. We are soooo screwed.

KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
What, no discussion of the wonders that is Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger Vs Darkdeath Evilman?
2iln8td.jpg
TRAGEDY!

Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman is Nippon Ichi's latest game for the PSP. While it looks very similar to the Disgaea series of games... it's not.

ZHP is a true roguelike.

The dungeons are completely random, like Item World in the Disgaea games, with a focus on repeated dungeon delving -- i.e., grinding. Sounds like a Power-Rangers themed Disgaea game, right?

Except it's not turn based per say -- it's a turn/real time mix. The Disgaea team made a Diablo clone.

But not just ANY Diablo clone. Unlike in other games, you can equip not gear, but body parts. Want a stronger arm? Don't grab a sword -- swap out your boring old flesh one for a giant drill. Need a bit more range? Swap the drill for a shoulder mounted Gatling gun. Need to fly? Shove a propeller someplace. (Your head, ya perv.)

Or, to quote the trailer and TVTropes:

"Drills! Tanks! Gatling Guns! Prinny Hats! Claw Grabbers! Hammer Arms! Devil Masks! Devil Tails! Samurai Wigs! Robot Cops! Cat Ears! Fishing Rods! Woks! And Sexy Jiggly Boobs!"

But beyond that, it has a weird mutation of the FF12 levelup system crossed with La Pucelle's Dark Energy system -- you can use unused gear and special gear called chips to do something called body modification -- basically turning your hero into a cyborg. This unlocks squares on a grid system, and as you expand the grid, you unlock special heart squares called Booster Devices that give new innate skills, and hero titles.

Best part? It comes out in 3 days. Just in time to ruin your shit on midterms!

American Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0gW_Do_IgI

Japanese Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZEanptIka8

The story is a parody of everything that made Power Rangers and other Sentai serieses -- Power Rangers, Kekko Kamen, Kamen Rider, etc -- great.

Basically, the story follows "Random Passerby #1", who happens upon the hero as he dies. 5 minutes into the game.

Well, that won't do -- so the hero hands off his morph belt to "Random Passerby #1", who gets to play the hero. Yay!

Except he's really bad at it.

It also takes the piss out of every RPG cliche and series in existence -- which we expect from the Disgaea team, of course. Case in point -- every time you go up against the last boss and die (and you'll do this a LOT) -- you get a parody of a different RPG's battle screen.

a18.jpg

Cameos are confirmed, including some odd ones -- Shana, from Shakugan No Shana, Taiga from Toradora, and everyone's favorite Nudist Werewolf-Meme, Holo from Spice and Wolf.

The art is... different this time:
a6.jpga5.jpga14.jpg

Official Website: http://www.nisamerica.com/games/zhp/
NIS Store Link: http://store.nisamerica.com/Preorders/Z-H-P-Exclusive-Set
(It's also on PSN.)
TVTropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZettaiHeroKaizouKeikaku

Anyone else excited about this, or god forbid, played the import? It's not getting too much in the way of media coverage, which is a shame, as it's basically a Prism Rangers RPG, which, you know, fuck yes.

KiTA on

• Options
    PhantomOfTheKnightPhantomOfTheKnight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was actually going to make a topic about this, but too late it seems.

Excited as hell for this one.

PhantomOfTheKnight on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wow, apparently the game's music is customized based on what gear you have.
    I wonder if equipping Prinny gear gets you Red Moon.

Also, one of the screenshots on the official site has the hero equipped with cat ears, angel wings, a big sword, cthulu's arm, and his legs are replaced with... a kotatsu with a catgirl laying under it. I...

This game may be too much. I might not survive this one.

Cameo:
    Flonne confirmed, at least. She's at the bottom of the first of the "mastery caves" -- i.e., this game's Dark World.

Japanese DLC adds a special Disgaea themed dungeon that offers Disgaea based gear and skills. Laharl's Cape, anyone? These are NOT DLC only, it's just that they are rare outside of the DLC dungeon.

KiTA on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Might get.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    First 10 minutes of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyktgJnSrSs

Random 8 minutes from a fan review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOj2sJ-y2tk

PhantomOfTheKnight on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This hero lacks sunglasses.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Review by PS-Imaginary Number.

(Whisper Whisper)

Er, sorry. Review by PSi: http://www.psillustrated.com/psillustrated/soft_rev.php/5182/zhp-unlosing-ranger-vs-darkdeath-evilman-psp.html

90/100. Money quoteS:
    Z.H.P: Unlosing Ranger VS. Darkdeath Evilman is a hard game. The first few dungeons are easy to get through, but give a false impression of what's in store later down the line. However, like Etrian Odyssey III, difficulty is the point. Z.H.P. is meant for players who like harder games and don't mind a punishing difficulty curve.
    Z.H.P: Unlosing Ranger VS. Darkdeath Evilman is a difficult game, but between the multiple dungeon replays, restarts and everything else, it's a really fun game. Even if dungeon crawls aren't your thing, Z.H.P. packs in just enough personality to make it worth a shot. If dungeon crawls are your thing, well... meet your new obsession.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Basil wrote: »

You can equip them.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pixel Perfect Review: 5/5

PhantomOfTheKnight on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »

You can equip them.

SOLD.

I kid, these guys make great games. As if I could resist. Although I may wait some time as I've already got a glut of products on my plate.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    From "never heard of it" to "Do WANT!" in one post.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How is this game a diablo-clone? From the video in the OP it's more like Shiren and Pokemon: Dungeon on there. Am I missing something?

urahonky on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This looks fairly awesome and I would've said it was fate as it comes out on my birthday... however it's on PSP which I don't have and don't really care to get. Ah well.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh fuck I want this. and mid terms are over for me, bitches!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    How is this game a diablo-clone? From the video in the OP it's more like Shiren and Pokemon: Dungeon on there. Am I missing something?

All three of those games are Roguelikes of varying hardcore-ness.

KiTA on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

All three of those games are Roguelikes of varying hardcore-ness.

Ah okay. I was thinking about the *clickclickclick*ness of Diablo 2. I'm just not a big fan of the "when you move the monsters move" thing those games have in common.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hm, no confirmation email yet from the NIS store. Would have hoped it would have shipped today to get here tomorrow. Ah well.

Anyone else preorder?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PSXExtreme Review: 8.1

Money quote:
    The game is turn-based but here’s where we hit the biggest twist: you and your chosen foe will move at the same time, but only if you’ve been noticed by that enemy (and other enemies). You’ve got your standard board-like setup for an SRPG, and you move one space at a time but you can keep moving and acting, provided you have the energy to do so. Each enemy has what looks like a radar ring around it; if you break that ring, the enemy will come after you, at which point, it’ll move whenever you move. If anyone is old enough and wants to think back, this is similar to Vandal Hearts II.

Verdict:
    The Good: Nice twists on the standard SRPG formula. Pleasant, often comical presentation. Huge amount of gameplay and replayability. Multiple dimensions of strategy offered by insane depth. NIS’ appreciation for loyal followers shines through.

The Bad: Grinding gets more tedious than usual. Difficulty spikes too early. Story sort of fades out over time (due to need for constant grinding).

The Ugly: If you’re not into this sort of thing, there’s almost no chance you’ll enjoy it.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can't wait for this. And Cladun, which is currently too much god danged fun to be believed.

edit: HOLY FUCK there's no Cladun thread! KiTA, what the eff?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to roll the dice and see if Gamestop gets a copy in today. Interesting note: You could NOT preorder from them this title. They have it listed WRONG in their system. The stores are utterly clueless. The same with the website. If I can't find a copy via store today, I'll Amazon it this weekend.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You can't; they're shipping it to stores with "no one can possibly want this" shipping speed, the same they use for most Harvest Moon games. It won't be there till Friday or next week.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    You can't; they're shipping it to stores with "no one can possibly want this" shipping speed, the same they use for most Harvest Moon games. It won't be there till Friday or next week.

How did you even confirm they're shipping it. From what I've been told, it's like the game doesn't exist to them. And they think KOEI is releasing it. Stupid Gamestop...

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Two days ago, I had not heard about this game. Yesterday, I consider buying a PSP just for this. Then I read about the PSP price cut and we conveniently have a PSP recommendation thread pop up. This might just be fate. You guys better hurry up with those impressions!

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

How did you even confirm they're shipping it. From what I've been told, it's like the game doesn't exist to them. And they think KOEI is releasing it. Stupid Gamestop...

Because they list it on their website with no In Store Pick Up shipping option. Years of buying Harvest Moon has taught me what that means.

They have it in their system as Z.H.P. which is mnost likely why no one can find it. Most employees probably search for ZHP without the periods.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Which matches the view from the industry that stores like Gamestop don't like the nitch anime art/rpg style titles and are underselling them.

Where as Amazon and direct retail seems the only/best option.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, if they sell much 100 copies of game A and skads and skads of game B I wouldn't hold it against them to not really work at making sure they get A in as fast as possible.

I just order through Amazon but, truth be told, they don't get it in much faster either.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I know, it's sad. But man I've been waiting for this game. Can you tell?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I do detect slight hints indicating that, yes.

But I want it too! And a Cladun thread!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've noted you can change almost anything in the session. I'm curious if you can upgrade your Prinny Wife/Daughter?

And the Henshin shop. Put weapon/gear combos in storage as sets and summon them in the dungeon as you work your way through it (especially useful if you current gear breaks). It included the whole transformation flash! Ha!

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Which matches the view from the industry that stores like Gamestop don't like the nitch anime art/rpg style titles and are underselling them.

More like this game isn't going to sell well no matter what.

Gamestop is the best when it comes to brick and mortar franchises when it comes to this stuff. They always get at least one copy.

This does not mean I don't agree with you though, if you want this game your absolute best bet is the intertrons.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Went to a local Bestbuy and Target to see if they have any in stock and much to my dissapointment they do not. Though I called Gamestop to see if they have any today since today is the release date and the retailer told me tomorrow. :( I want it nao.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Though I called Gamestop to see if they have any today since today is the release date and the retailer told me tomorrow. :( I want it nao.

Today is just shipping, not release.

If they have it tomorrow, I give to you my first born.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fuck. I plan on moving out of this shithole this weekend, but if the history on the Atelier Rorona set is true, I won't get it until Monday.

Wonder if I can call UPS and have the package redirected.

KiTA on
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Gamestop is the best when it comes to brick and mortar franchises when it comes to this stuff. They always get at least one copy.

This does not mean I don't agree with you though, if you want this game your absolute best bet is the intertrons.

NIS marketing has screwed up something terribly here.
    My local store doesn't have this game listed in release dates or new releases.
    If it wasn't going to sell well to begin with... well its not going to sell at all if no one knows about it!
    I'm hoping this is just a local issue and not as widespread as I'm suspecting.

NIS have been pumping out some good shit lately, but no matter how good it is, if no one knows about it outside of a nerd circle; its going to tank commercially. I'm sure they know that, right? :(

Magitek on
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck. I plan on moving out of this shithole this weekend, but if the history on the Atelier Rorona set is true, I won't get it until Monday.

Wonder if I can call UPS and have the package redirected.

They charge six bucks for that now. The only thing you can do without paying them more money is pick it up at a distribution center.

ystael on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Magitek wrote: »

NIS marketing has screwed up something terribly here.
    My local store doesn't have this game listed in release dates or new releases.
    If it wasn't going to sell well to begin with... well its not going to sell at all if no one knows about it!
    I'm hoping this is just a local issue and not as widespread as I'm suspecting.

NIS have been pumping out some good shit lately, but no matter how good it is, if no one knows about it outside of a nerd circle; its going to tank commercially. I'm sure they know that, right? :(

It's Z.H.P. not ZHP. That's the major cockup here.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Pretty much, but none of the Gamestops have it in stock yet. (I checked.) They put it in with the periods and you have to spell it out Z Period H Period P Period for them to find it. And it's still listed as not there. Amazon on the other hand has shipped...*shrugs*

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Pretty much, but none of the Gamestops have it in stock yet. (I checked.) They put it in with the periods and you have to spell it out Z Period H Period P Period for them to find it. And it's still listed as not there. Amazon on the other hand has shipped...*shrugs*

Huh? No, it hasn't. Amazon isn't even shipping it until next week.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Huh? No, it hasn't. Amazon isn't even shipping it until next week.

Oh? Wait, now it's listed as out of stock. Ne? Sorry, they must have updated again since I last checked. Don't mind me then. Silly Joe, second guessing Amazon's bizarro shipping policies.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Huh, looks like it may be downloadable RIGHT NOW on the PSP store. I WANNA DO.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I downloaded this off the network and though I just barely beat part 1 of the first real "mission" I think this will both be awesome and terrifying.

However since I downloaded it I do not have the instruction manual and I have no idea what the individual stats for my character mean. Is that information on the PSN or in the game because I haven't found it yet? I finished the initiald tutorials and the only stats they went in depth with are energy and weapon endurance.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.