As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skullgirls - PC release confirmed

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd focus on the game, but they need to release a PC version first.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't mind the art in any serious way but at the same time it's always good to have discussions about these sorts of things. Personally, I'm fine with keeping the debate going solely as to keep this thread on the first page.

LHJ, I always see you playing when I get on and it makes it worse not having a gold account. You better still be playing in a couple months :)

Absurðr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    hey man, if you want i have a few gold months from PAX east, if you'd like one

• Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Holy shit top 8 skullgirls stream was amazing tonight.

Link?

• Options
    AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    hey man, if you want i have a few gold months from PAX east, if you'd like one
    You're super kind but I have awful internet (Clearwire, 200kb/s max if no one else is home) and I'm moving next month. Not really a good time for it :( Thank you though!

Was just skimming through the Shoryuken faq:
    Eight man lobbies with spectator mode and an online training mode won't be there at launch but are priorities and should be patched in shortly after release. Plans have been discussed to even allow for multiple simultaneous battles within the same lobby rather than just a standard rotation system. Replays, replay sharing and Youtube uploads are also planned and will be patched in sometime after release. GGPO delay options will be added to Training mode later. Tutorials right now are general; character-specific challenges are delayed to better gauge the needs and wants of the community. There are no offical versus screens at launch but instead a cute animation of George, they and other neat aesthetic touches will come in the near future. There also won't be in-game command lists; surprisingly enough between creating the UI, translations for multiple languages, bug testing, etc. creating such lists can take weeks.

I'm really enjoying it so far but if they can get all of their ideas going and roll out those dlc characters, it's going to be super rad.

Absurðr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SvK wrote: »
    Holy shit top 8 skullgirls stream was amazing tonight.

Link?

http://www.own3d.tv/teamspooky

ContentContext on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Absurðr wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Cantido, imagine that someone makes an album that's an homage to all the classic NSBM artists, including lyrics. They even exaggerate some of the elements in ways that can be construed as bad taste. But it's a totally killer album - the riffs and traditional folk instruments all perfectly revive the glory of old Europa and the purity of the people therein. Yet some listeners complain, wishing they could have toned down the NS bit. You're saying that it would somehow alter that aspect to take into account that the material serves as a tribute?

As homages, they're all perfect. But that doesn't mean people can't be offended by them. It's OK to be annoyed by Tarantino dropping the n-word a little too frequently, it's OK to be annoyed by Skullgirls showing too much T&A, even in jest.

Personally, I think the designs balance out. You got just enough weird shit in the form of Peacock, Painwheel and Double, and the grosser aspects of Ms. Fortune and Filia to make me think they were drawn purely with the theme of a certain era in mind, rather than making it appeal to the same pocket mining demographic as DOA: Volleyball.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Also...hell, I'd like to see a feminine version of Rufus for once in a fighting game. Has it ever been done even once, anywhere?
    Bloody Roar. Chunky female construction worker with an alternate Warthog battle form. (It wasn't a particularly good game.)

The more I read about Skullgirls, the more likely I am to pick it up. Must resist.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    pick it up
    it's really good

and 15$

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Absurðr wrote: »
    Was just skimming through the Shoryuken faq:
    Eight man lobbies with spectator mode and an online training mode won't be there at launch but are priorities and should be patched in shortly after release. Plans have been discussed to even allow for multiple simultaneous battles within the same lobby rather than just a standard rotation system. Replays, replay sharing and Youtube uploads are also planned and will be patched in sometime after release. GGPO delay options will be added to Training mode later. Tutorials right now are general; character-specific challenges are delayed to better gauge the needs and wants of the community. There are no offical versus screens at launch but instead a cute animation of George, they and other neat aesthetic touches will come in the near future. There also won't be in-game command lists; surprisingly enough between creating the UI, translations for multiple languages, bug testing, etc. creating such lists can take weeks.

I'm really enjoying it so far but if they can get all of their ideas going and roll out those dlc characters, it's going to be super rad.

Fuck.

Yes.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm just looking forward to them fixing the loadtime issues on the 360.

That and DLC characters.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Glad to know the reason behind the lack of a novelist. :)

• Options
    M_WM_W Registered User regular
    Oh, goodness. I should not have let this game lead me to believe I can play fighting games. On the bright side, the tutorials really are all they're cracked up to be. I didn't exactly go from zero to hero, but the mysticism surrounding fighting games has disappeared, at least. I can't tell if the AI is brutal or if I really have that much to learn (probably both). In the meantime, I'll continue with my hybrid technique of mashing and executing what specials I can. It's a fun game, but for now it's one I can only play with friends.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    This may just be a product of me getting to used to SFIV srk shortcuts but it seems much harder to do Filia's updo to punish unsafe block strings-which I feel like I should be able to do. Is there any buffering allowed of the move while blocking or do you have to get it all out after coming out of blockstun?

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    This may just be a product of me getting to used to SFIV srk shortcuts but it seems much harder to do Filia's updo to punish unsafe block strings-which I feel like I should be able to do. Is there any buffering allowed of the move while blocking or do you have to get it all out after coming out of blockstun?

If you want to punish something unsafe.. do it with a hit confirmable combo into special into super. Don't just mash dp as soon as you're out of block stun since dps can be baited.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    Skullgirls' art operates in sort of a werid middleground for me. It's not like Arcana Heart where I feel like a creepy perv for playing it, but the character designs aren't quite far enough into the land of parody to feel totally comfortable either. I do like that the characters are super-distinct and weird-as-hell, so on that front Skullgirls wins hands down. I just wish it could get there without that undercurrent of "yo, tits and panties."

Mechanically, though, man. Maaaaan. From what I played of the demo, this game seems pretty goooood. But I've already completely embarrassed myself with SF4 and Marvel. I'm not sure I wanna put myself through that a third time. (Particularly when I'm still waiting to see if SFxT survives long enough to get to its PC release.)

Skullgirls, I wanna love you, but I'm so afraid you'll hurt me. And I'm afraid I might like it.

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    MrPsycohed wrote: »
    Skullgirls' art operates in sort of a werid middleground for me. It's not like Arcana Heart where I feel like a creepy perv for playing it, but the character designs aren't quite far enough into the land of parody to feel totally comfortable either. I do like that the characters are super-distinct and weird-as-hell, so on that front Skullgirls wins hands down. I just wish it could get there without that undercurrent of "yo, tits and panties."

Mechanically, though, man. Maaaaan. From what I played of the demo, this game seems pretty goooood. But I've already completely embarrassed myself with SF4 and Marvel. I'm not sure I wanna put myself through that a third time. (Particularly when I'm still waiting to see if SFxT survives long enough to get to its PC release.)

Skullgirls, I wanna love you, but I'm so afraid you'll hurt me. And I'm afraid I might like it.

Do it.

Seriously.

This game has the gentlest learning curve ever and I've yet to have a moment where I rage with a cry of "THAT IS RETARDED" unlike with Capcom games where that phrase usually gets uttered at least a handful of times on day 1. I'm actually having trouble picking a main since I like basically everybody. That's never happened in a fighting game ever for me. I thought it was gonna be Peacock but then I tried everyone else and was like "oh god damn they're all fun."

And my final word on the design is this: I played this game the day I got it with my girlfriend who's new to fighting games since I figured it'd be a really great game for her to start with and she didn't comment on the design at all save for the neat/gross/funny stuff like OmNomNom or how MsFortune's throw involves wrapping the target up in tendons and ligaments and other body parts. I'd say that a gal not caring about the boobies is a good indicator of how much of a non-issue this all is.
    and the grosser aspects of Ms. Fortune and Filia
    What's gross about Filia? I think she's the only one where I haven't had a moment where I blinked and went "that's kinda gross" at a particular move.
    M_W wrote: »
    Oh, goodness. I should not have let this game lead me to believe I can play fighting games. On the bright side, the tutorials really are all they're cracked up to be. I didn't exactly go from zero to hero, but the mysticism surrounding fighting games has disappeared, at least. I can't tell if the AI is brutal or if I really have that much to learn (probably both). In the meantime, I'll continue with my hybrid technique of mashing and executing what specials I can. It's a fun game, but for now it's one I can only play with friends.

The AI is pretty solid but it doesn't feel cheap which is rather refreshing. I need to play on max difficulty though to see if the top tier difficulty is just pure input reading stupidity.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, I got the Cerebella and Parasoul cheevos. I know what I need to do for almost everyone else, except Filia.

Going by the cryptic cheevo description, I'm guessing air dash alot?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    there's a guy on youtube who has guides on how to do them all (and by guides he shows the best combo to spam to get it). these can be done in sparring mode so you don't have to keep loading up fights.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    What's gross about Filia? I think she's the only one where I haven't had a moment where I blinked and went "that's kinda gross" at a particular move.

Maybe it's just me? The idea of a hair parasite thing is eurgh. Seeing it move on it's own just gets to me. :P

I do really love the pose where Samson stands and Filia blows in the wind like she's like his hair. That's cute. Everything else about Samson is nastier than Double even, imo.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Maybe it's just me? The idea of a hair parasite thing is eurgh. Seeing it move on it's own just gets to me. :P

I do really love the pose where Samson stands and Filia blows in the wind like she's like his hair. That's cute. Everything else about Samson is nastier than Double even, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPpJtVUnmlI
    Deal with it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    So do you think we can get a list of 360 gamer-tags going? I can only remember Big Red Tie posting his, and I've sent an FR. Mine is DubiousAtBest.

• Options

Ah, I guess it didn't even register for me because I know that Filia is an homage to Milia Rage (hair as a weapon) and Eddie (parasite that does morphy shit) from Guilty Gear and am subsequently used to that sorta thing.

I think half the fun for me right now is connecting how SG plays to the stuff Mike Z played and how it influenced him. Like with Filia being a pretty obvious Milia/Eddie hybrid or the Potemkin influence on Cerebella.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I thought Ms. Fortune was the Eddie in the game. Visually, Fillia makes more sense though.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ms. Fortune is a nod to all puppet characters ever mechanically, so Eddie, Carl Clover, Lieselotte, etc. etc.

It would be fun to try to sit down and just parse out all the references and nods in this game.

Peacock would be like a 30 page essay.

• Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    I thought Ms. Fortune was the Eddie in the game. Visually, Fillia makes more sense though.

Yeah, visually I meant. I'm not a particularly well spoken guy.
    Peacock would be like a 30 page essay.
    I nearly lost my shit when I heard her Filia specific quote. I just sat there like kasjdhfkaljsdhfkdsajfh1920'sSTYLEDEADPOOLFUCKYEAH.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    So do you think we can get a list of 360 gamer-tags going? I can only remember Big Red Tie posting his, and I've sent an FR. Mine is DubiousAtBest.

I'll accept it when I get home

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    SRK recommended the TE-S Kitty board so I can Dual Mod it myself without any Soldering shenanigans.

EDIT - the character guides and singular movelist printout should be in the OP too. My brother just got a Ps3 so he can play lots and lots of fighting games. SCV is his first and this will be his second.

Cantido on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    I got dis game. I'm bad at it. Any recommendations for an arcade stick, and where to find one? Also add me 360 users - Cathadal

• Options
    edited April 2012
    JRosey wrote: »
    I got dis game. I'm bad at it. Any recommendations for an arcade stick, and where to find one? Also add me 360 users - Cathadal

The saying around the PA threads is "Just buy a Goddamn TE." Goddamn TE refers to any of the Mad Catz Tounament Edition sticks. Don't bother with the SE (special edition). They break. A lot.

This is what I use. It's a TE-S.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4RJ5mY7syk

I am currently in a transitional period and am trying to mod my Goddamn TE for the long term, making it work on Ps3 (more popular for fighting games) and PC (which might get Skullgirls.) The nice thing about the TE's is that they are (relatively) easier to mod and personalize. They use the real arcade cabinet components, and are damn near indestructible no matter how much you slap the shit out of them.

If you absolutely know you want a stick that will work on any console, consider the eight arc fusion a long term choice. If not, you can always Dual Mod your TE later, like what I'm trying to do now.

EDIT - This should not suggest more people are playing Skullgirls on PSN. I'd say it's about even now. I just ordered the Kitty Board and the S Wire bundle so I can play Skullgirls on both consoles without my Senior Design partner's soldering kit. Now I need a scalpel...

Cantido on
  • Options
    M_WM_W Registered User regular
    The AI is pretty solid but it doesn't feel cheap which is rather refreshing. I need to play on max difficulty though to see if the top tier difficulty is just pure input reading stupidity.
    Well, it doesn't feel like the AI is breaking the game rules, certainly, but I'm incredibly inexperienced at fighting games, so even easy difficulty is unmanageable.

I'm pretty pro at Tekken lololololololo

• Options
    if anyone feels like going a few rounds add Local H Jay

• Options
    One thing I really like about the characters is that they scale so damn well on the learning curve. A beginner can do neat shit that isn't particularly hard without feeling like they're doing poorly while an expert can make the characters do some really crazy shit and enjoy the technical challenge.

Man, the more I think about it, the more I'm convincing myself that Skullgirls is one of the best FGs ever made.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012

we can play now, i got a different router and it cleared up all my problems

although not right this moment since i'm not at home, but in some hours

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options

we can play now, i got a different router and it cleared up all my problems
    sounds good, i'm gonna go a few rounds with the stig but i will invite you when i'm done.

• Options
    i'll be home in like, 3 hours
    also how is your connection with stig

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    PS3 Rounds anyone? I'm gonna be up for another hour or so. Add ArcticArctos.

I'm no combo-machine, but I'm no slouch either, just to give a sense of skill level here. I can reliably pull off a short combo into supers, etc. Also have bluetooth available so we can chat and discuss.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    i'll be home in like, 3 hours
    also how is your connection with stig

it was good, i had to join him since apparently he couldn't join me

• Options
    edited April 2012
    My brother got a Ps3 so he could play nothing but JRPGs and Fighting games today. I'm trying to persuade him to get this. But he found out Ps3 has Hulu Plus, which he is a member of, so that and Soul Calibur V is sucking him in at the moment.

On the bright side, now I know that if he has Hulu Plus, now I have Hulu Plus :D

Man I can't believe I ordered the Kitty Board PCB. No soldering required but man. I hope I don't destroy my TE.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    As someone who knows very little about how to play fighting games, this tutorial is pretty cool.