As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skullgirls - PC release confirmed

• Options
    BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Decided to give this thread a bump as the rumored release date of 3/31/2012 approaches, though with the lack of any word from the Skullgirls camp and the fact that the 31st is on a day when neither XBL or PSN updates, that date seems unlikely.

Another rumor is that the game will launch of April 4th, but again, lack of confirmation is really hurting me.

Let us join hands and wait for the birth of our new queens.

Bossking on
  • Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Yeah, the release date still being a rumor is bothersome. That's just how things get done, I guess. The South Park game's release date was announced yesterday, and it comes out in 3 days.

• Options
    RavidrathRavidrath Designer / Community Manager Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Yeah, the release date still being a rumor is bothersome. That's just how things get done, I guess. The South Park game's release date was announced yesterday, and it comes out in 3 days.

Yeah, this is the unfortunate reality of downloadable games - first party rules prevent us from announcing release dates and pricing before it's approved for release. And most games get approved for release only a few days before their actual release.

I'm hoping they loosen up on these in the next generation - lack of release date and pricing really hurts the marketing effort, and that in turn hurts potential sales of downloadable games.

• Options
    BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    How the hell did this thread die after the goddamn community manager and designer for the game posted here?

Can we like, pester you with questions while we endure this agonizing wait? I'm super hyped and I just need something

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    There's not really alot to discuss now, honestly. No release date for any hype and it's hard to discuss gameplay without having the game to play.

Plus let's be honest this is going to be a pretty niche game for an already pretty niche audience. I think they are promoting it pretty well though.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, I want to be excited for the game but with no concrete release date I have nothing to be excited for yet.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, I want to be excited for the game but with no concrete release date I have nothing to be excited for yet.

If you're on XBLA, you'll just have to play lots and lots of Sine Mora.

EDIT - Ahem. With MvC3 being a piece of junk, I'm very exited for Skullgirls being as finely tuned and balanced as the latest BlazBlue.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Besides balance and great art direction it'll also be really nice to get a Capcom-style team fighter that's made by a company that hasn't gone into anti-fan business practices.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RavidrathRavidrath Designer / Community Manager Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Bossking wrote: »
    How the hell did this thread die after the goddamn community manager and designer for the game posted here?

Can we like, pester you with questions while we endure this agonizing wait? I'm super hyped and I just need something

Absolutely - that's what I'm here for!

When it happens, it's all going to happen pretty quickly... we are probably looking at something like the South Park Monday/Wednesday situation.

Ravidrath on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Skullgirls is gonna have a big story mode, right? Are potential DLC characters gonna get a story too?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Skullgirls is gonna have a big story mode, right? Are potential DLC characters gonna get a story too?

I wouldn't say it's "big." There's a lot of nice art, but each character's story is pretty short.

These are also the "non-canon what-if" stories. Alex has a much larger, canonical story he wants to tell, but... it's gonna need a lot of art.

As for DLC characters... we want to do story modes for all of them, because we don't want them to seem like afterthoughts. But the budget and schedule for all that stuff is still being hashed out, and it's hard to know what exactly we'll be able to do.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Y'know who I'm gonna pick? Not-Wesker! Because he's not in this game because the devs know what the fuck their doing! Huh? HUH CAPCOM? HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT[/ptsd]

*ahem* I think I'll go with Parasoul

Cantido on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Man. UMvC3 was one of the things I was getting pretty hyped up to get on Vita when I got some free cash, but the last few weeks I've seen nothing but hate for it.

I thought it was super popular and rad and made of rainbows and excellence? :/

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    As interested as I am to see how this game turns out, it's a bit early for everyone to be clamoring over how "balanced" it is. I mean, if nothing else, given the roster size I imagine it'll be at least decently balanced...but some of you are acting like that's a selling point to the game when only time will tell just how true it holds up in that regard.

• Options
    As interested as I am to see how this game turns out, it's a bit early for everyone to be clamoring over how "balanced" it is. I mean, if nothing else, given the roster size I imagine it'll be at least decently balanced...but some of you are acting like that's a selling point to the game when only time will tell just how true it holds up in that regard.

You bring up a good point. All it takes is one exploit and bam, $40,000 to Microsoft for patching.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It does however feature a built in anti-infinite mechanic. That alone solves so many issues.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Balanced is overrated anyway and hardly obtained in any fighter. Not to mention, very few people ever reach the point in a fighting game where balance is truly important.

As long as most of the characters are decent and there isn't any out and out stupid shit(such as Nu in the original Blazblue) that's fine by me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Man. UMvC3 was one of the things I was getting pretty hyped up to get on Vita when I got some free cash, but the last few weeks I've seen nothing but hate for it.

It is super fun, but you just have to accept that it is kinda broken.

But broken in a way that is super fun.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Antihippy wrote: »

It is super fun, but you just have to accept that it is kinda broken.

But broken in a way that is super fun.

Being unable to move ever is not fun. It just makes me wanna move through the internet and choke a bitch.

Cantido on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    So this comes out this upcoming week?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    So this comes out this upcoming week?

We don't know.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So wait...is this a full retail release or an Arcade title?

• Options
    XBL PSN.

• Options
    Oh. Cool.

And from what I'm reading in the OP there are 7 unannounced DLC characters?

• Options
    Nope, just forgot to update. When that OP went up only 7 playable characters were announced so far.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Does this game have single player?

I'm one of those freaks that played Blazblue for the story mode and cool music.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Yes, there's a single-player mode, but it's unconfirmed what the details on that might be. I can picture the story mode being a bit like MK9's, where you mainly control one character, but your match-ups can vary between the 1-3 character team limit, like Peacock vs. Valentine and Painwheel as an example.

Of course, I could be wrong since there's little detail surrounding the story mode right now other than what Ravidrath posted in that they're each individually short.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
  • Options
    Oh man, I wish. :(

Also, hoping the april 11th release date isn't an april's fool too.

• Options
    Ravidrath wrote: »

Featuring a cameo by Miss X, right?

• Options
    We're sponsoring a number of tournaments this summer, and will be offering custom sticks as prizes.

Here are some pictures of the first two sticks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/revergelabs/collections/72157629739822583/

They're made by FoeHammer, and... I really want one.

• Options
    Those sticks look pretty amazing.

• Options
    We're sponsoring a number of tournaments this summer, and will be offering custom sticks as prizes.

Here are some pictures of the first two sticks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/revergelabs/collections/72157629739822583/

They're made by FoeHammer, and... I really want one.

Do you guys know if you are going to be at Anime Expo again this year? It was a blast getting to play Skullgirls there last summer, even if it only had three characters back then. :D

• Options
    edited April 2012
    CONFIRMED : 4/10 PSN, 4/11 XBLA. $14.99 and 1200 MS Points respectively.
    Do you guys know if you are going to be at Anime Expo again this year? It was a blast getting to play Skullgirls there last summer, even if it only had three characters back then. :D

I don't think we have plans to attend any pure cons after release, although I believe Alex will have a table in Artist Alley. We're really just focusing on the tournaments.

Ravidrath on
  • Options
    It'll be released the 13th in australia.

Oh well.

• Options
    CONFIRMED : 4/10 PSN

Yeeeessssssssssss

We at Blaster Nation have been following this game since its announcement and we'll be sure to send you guys some fanart (as I'm sure others have and will) once the game releases

• Options
    Still having that dilemma of whether to get this for PSN or X360... Argh.

• Options
    Grabing it for PSN. Will buy every DLC character.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Any plans for a PC release?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png