As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use the new PSN down thread

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It almost felt like they wanted to say 'Anonymous did it', but didnt want to go so far as to be un-japanese and be direct about it. So instead they just had to bring them up once every 5 minutes, to keep them firmly in mind.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what these security terms mean exactly?

Hashing takes an input (like a password) and turns it into a 'hashed', unique output. Generally you hash passwords and store the hashes, rather than storing the passwords in plaintext (because you are fucked if someone finds the password list somehow). Here's a pretty straightforward explanation of what salting does. MD5 is a popular hash function.

exis on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Well, I'm not an expert on it, so people please correct me if I'm wrong, but

Encryption is when you take a set of data, perform some operation on it, and then output another set of data that can be returned to its original state using a key. If someone has the correct key, they have access to the encrypted data.

Hashing is where you take a set of data, perform some operation on it, and then output, more-or-less, a number. It's a one-way function-- the hash isn't long enough to store the actual data, so it's impossible to retrieve the data used to make the hash if that's all you have. When used for passwords, the system can check if the password is correct without actually storing it.

Edit: The hell, forums? This isn't my whole post.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    'We will share information when we have something to share.' Thanks, Sony.

This is the problem, Sony. You don't know what to share and what not to share.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Shame MD5 is like... the whore of encryption. Cheap, easy and everyone can hit it like it's hot.

Which is why I firmly believe it's probably what Sony used.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This went from annoying to corporate full retard really slow then really fast.

Damn what a clusterfuck, i hope they get the law all over this to slap Sony down. Bowing does not count.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, the dev network not having a password kind of makes sense? Theoretically it should have only been accessible to PS3s with a devOS, which should have been locked down by a master key.

This only makes sense if you are idiot who has never opened a intro level network security textbook. If this is indeed the case then it is an outstanding level of stupidity by Sony. Breathtaking.

The golden rule of client-server security is that you do not trust the client. Ever.

EDIT: Master key being secure or not you cannot have implicitly trusted clients and a secure network - it's unpossible.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, the dev network not having a password kind of makes sense? Theoretically it should have only been accessible to PS3s with a devOS, which should have been locked down by a master key.

This only makes sense if you are idiot who has never opened a intro level network security textbook. If this is indeed the case then it is an outstanding level of stupidity by Sony. Breathtaking.

The golden rule of client-server security is that you do not trust the client. Ever.

Well, considering the whole redev fiasco, I'd have to say... They didn't read those particular textbooks.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The higher ups in the programming group were incompetent enough to not know about a known vulnerability.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    The higher ups in the programming group were incompetent enough to not know about a known vulnerability.

The known vulnerability was LEAVING THE GOOSING DOOR OPEN.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That would be pretty vulnerale, yes.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    'We will share information when we have something to share.' Thanks, Sony.
    We know that Sony, I mean, you shared our information all over the place.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cut them a little slack. Having an unlocked door is a known vulnerability, but if you forget to lock your door, technically you don't know about it. :D

I should totally work for Sony's PR firm, hah.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What PR firm?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sadly, all this press conference did was make me feel more apt to change my card number once this months charges go through on the 1st/2nd. Their incompetence did nothing but shine through the entire time.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one who found that the compensation pretty shitty?

It's a month of a service I'm not interested in to begin with anyway.

Blake T on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I honestly don't understand their PR team. Everything they do leaves me thinking they look more incompetent than before, and that's between long periods of silence that look even worse. I knew people in PR and HRM courses in Uni, and they all had case studies of how companies responded to crisis, going over everything the companies did and how it all helped or tarnished their reputation. Any one of those uni students would do a better PR job than Sony is right now.

I know lolSony and everything, but in all seriousness, they are either thoroughly incompetent, or... I dunno. I cannot think of a single reason, outside of conspiracy theories that they're hiding another massive cockup, why they would deal with all this so poorly.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blake T wrote: »

Agreed. Sony might think it's worth $49.99/£39.99 a year, but I certainly don't.

Edit: and it seems pretty clear that they are trying to make money from this fuck up. Hoping people will spend money on the Playstation Store with the PS+ discount.

Edit2: To clarify, they obv have lost money from it, but their reasons for giving people PS+ are profit motivated.

LewieP on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wasn't aware they -had- a PR team?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

Agreed. Sony might think it's worth $49.99/£39.99 a year, but I certainly don't.

Edit: and it seems pretty clear that they are trying to make money from this fuck up. Hoping people will spend money on the Playstation Store with the PS+ discount.
    The only good thing about a month of PSN+ is that if you were interested in purchasing a PSN game that had a PSN+ only discount, you could buy it at the discount and keep the game.

The only.
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    No need to state this everyone probably agrees that people who pirate software deserve to go straight to jail anyway.
    Do you genuinely hold this opinion?

JAEF on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmm, fuck their shitty compensation. I want in on whatever class-action lawsuits succeed on them.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The State of Texas had some information leak troubles recently, and they offered something actually useful to people whose information was exposed: a huge discount on credit/id theft monitoring. 70% off from Experian I think it was.

captaink on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To recap: PSN back up "this week", all PSN members to get free software and 1 month of PlayStation plus free, plus more goodies TBA later.*

The month of PSN+ is bull. The free software better be good. The problem I see it's has to be something that works with the Go. I'm guessing it will also a game owned by Sony. A PS1 game is not going to cut it for me nor will a Mini. But what other games came be played on both a PSP & a PS3?

* I didn't watch the conference, just going on what I read in the thread.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If Sony's smart (ha ha) they'll let you pick between a PS3 game or a PSP game or a classic (likely 1 of each option,) which would cover everyone.

JAEF on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    The State of Texas had some information leak troubles recently, and they offered something actually useful to people whose information was exposed: a huge discount on credit/id theft monitoring. 70% off from Experian I think it was.

This would be super. A shitty game and an advertisement for their paid service is not.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    To recap: PSN back up "this week", all PSN members to get free software and 1 month of PlayStation plus free, plus more goodies TBA later.*

The month of PSN+ is bull. The free software better be good. The problem I see it's has to be something that works with the Go. I'm guessing it will also a game owned by Sony. A PS1 game is not going to cut it for me nor will a Mini. But what other games came be played on both a PSP & a PS3?

* I didn't watch the conference, just going on what I read in the thread.

I actually think you're probably putting more thought into this than Sony did

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program
    While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region."

Just sayin, Sony is offering something similar, I'd assume.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It'll be a "I Survived The Outage and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt' t-shirt for your Home avatar.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dracil wrote: »
    Hmm, fuck their shitty compensation. I want in on whatever class-action lawsuits succeed on them.

This, barring any effect of the recent Supreme Court decision...

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When does the Uncharted beta come out? A psn+ membership would probably be welcomed by many at that point.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've glanced through various forums and the PR seems to be working. Of course, it's natural to assume that the more vocal fan base are expressing their thoughts right now. Whether the general public is appeased by these compensations remains to be seen.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DeviousRakunDeviousRakun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    When does the Uncharted beta come out? A psn+ membership would probably be welcomed by many at that point.
    June 28th for PSN plus people and inFamous 2 buyers, July 5th for everyone else.

DeviousRakun on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone else notice the bit about the store taking longer to come up? Gonna piss off that one GO owner something fierce.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So to get our "free month" of psn+ do we have to sign up with our credit card?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Exactly. What a shitty move; I'll be skipping that...

Justice on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Justice wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So to get our "free month" of psn+ do we have to sign up with our credit card?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Exactly. What a shitty move; I'll be skipping that...

No credit card is needed for PSN+ or anything else on the store.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess at least they'll be trying to make the PSN+ lineup for the free period really amazing to try and lure people into signing up for the service. :?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I plan on changing my credit card number this week after a charge goes through, but I haven't seen any suspicious activity on my account yet.

Then again, I am using Discover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p06h47glDKc

SteevL on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone else notice the bit about the store taking longer to come up? Gonna piss off that one GO owner something fierce.

There are ways to get purchased games up and running on a Go with the latest official firmware, as well as a large library of homebrew. I sent the guy with a Go a PM telling him this, and offering him instructions if he wanted them, and got no reply.

There is even a Homebrew store that functions similar to the PlayStation Store. You pick an application, and it's downloaded and installed automatically. All of this is possible on official firmware without modifying the device at all, and the homebrew selection is all completely legal.

I have a text reader, Google Maps app, Email client, and even Open Tyrian, among others, all running on 6.38, and it's all legal.

A PSP Go without PSN access is by no means useless.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    exis wrote: »

Hashing takes an input (like a password) and turns it into a 'hashed', unique output. Generally you hash passwords and store the hashes, rather than storing the passwords in plaintext (because you are fucked if someone finds the password list somehow). Here's a pretty straightforward explanation of what salting does. MD5 is a popular hash function.

More than that: Hashing your passwords and doing nothing else to them is a bad idea. If I'm a hacker who has an account with your service, I know my own password, and can use that with my hashed password to break the hash. That's why, usually, a hashed password is also salted, which means that random data is interspersed into it to make that process more difficult.

Hashing passwords without salting them is a pretty big no-no in the security world. Even if you're salting the passwords, if you're using stupid encryption like MD5 hashes or DES crypt, or using very little in the way of salting, you're hosed. For comparison, Gawker both salted and hashed their passwords (DES crypt with 12 bits of salting). When they were hacked wide open, most security analysts agreed they were extremely lacking in their cryptography.

So keep in mind Sony didn't salt the passwords, and we've got a reference point to go on.
    Dracil wrote: »

If you're in America, Whoops! The Supreme Court just decided that if Sony doesn't want to, they don't have to go through class-action lawsuits. They can relegate you to individual arbitration - where the arbitrator's bread is pretty fucking well buttered on Sony's side.

Pretty good timing for them on that point.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the way I understand it, PSN+ users get some games free. I can't think of what games offhand, but I'm pretty sure that there are a few games that are gratis when you get a PSN+ account.

Given that pretty much everyone will be gutting PSN+ for everything they can when everything is back up, do you get to keep the free games after you no longer have a PSN+ account? I believe that I heard in the past that anything you got free from PSN+ went away after your subscription was up...

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!