As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Samsung doesn't do well with SSIDs on separate bands unless you have a decent mesh system. The software isn't smart enough to latch onto just the 2.4 band and make itself work. We have to log into people's Comcast gateways all the time and rename their 5GHz band to make their tv work. Pretty annoying.

I'm surprised that tv doesn't have a WiFi board. I was just fixing an A1E yesterday (Sony's high end OLED) and it still has one even. Definitely rule out the APS, but I highly doubt the power cable itself is the problem. You're really down to replacing the speakers, LVDS, control module, and IR board on the TV.

Ugggghh.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I can rule the APS out because plugging it into the wall was the first thing tried, well before anything was replaced. That, and everything else is plugged into said APS and has no such issue.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a TV for my bedroom. The main issue is space. We'd like to put in on top of a dresser which is 32" wide. The little alcove as a whole is 40" wide so I'm thinking a 40" or 43" would be the best fit. A few other notes:
    • We already have a TCL TV, so getting something with the same interface would be a plus.
    • We'll be using wifi to connect to the internet.
    • Viewing distance will be pretty far, that said I don't mind paying a little more for better picture quality.
    What should I get? I've tried looking up some of the TCLs, but I haven't found an easy chart to see the differences between the current models. Should I even be looking at TCL? Are they still considered a good value? What about Samsung or Vizio?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Hmmm, kind of looking at making the plunge on a TV. Stepping up from budget but good TCL stuff I was looking at earlier to more midrange Vizio stuff, I think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RDMLHNK

Vizio's P-Series Quantum sounds pretty good and the price is excellent for a 75". I'm honestly not sure if I need a 75" TV, but I figure it's going to last me for like 10 years and I can see it being worth having at that size in a couple of years at least. I heard the viewing angles on it are pretty bad, though. Is it noticeable if you're sitting vaguely in front of it? I don't know what sort of angles viewing angle criticism generally applies to.

Also, is it worth holding off for like 2 months to watch for Black Friday sales and November price drops? Or are those mostly on lower-end TVs?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Viewing angles make a difference in wider rooms, but if you're looking pretty straight on you won't notice a difference. It's literally at angles.

Holding off is up to you. TVs go on sale pretty frequently, but black Friday sales are usually on junk.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    shadowane wrote: »
    Shadowfire Do you have a wall mount that you'd suggest? Still thinking about the LG OLED C9 if the type of tv matters. Thanks!

I will never not sing the praises of Sanus mounts. They have a tilt mount that works very well and keeps the TV pretty close to the wall. If you want just a little side to side play, the advanced tilt is perfect and it's only like $20 more. That's the one I have, mostly because it is easy to pull the TV out like 3-4 inches to plug stuff in. They also make a full motion mount that is pretty expensive ($250-300 depending on sales at the time) that is also fantastic and, unlike a lot of full motion mounts, it moves really easily.

Now you'll see that Sanus mounts are quite a bit more expensive than most brands. The reason I prefer them is that they have a 30" wall bracket that the TV hangs on. This means that whether your studs are 16" or 24" you'll still be able to safely mount the TV. And, because the TV hangs from the bracket, centering the TV exactly where you want it is easy. A lot of the time the cheap mounts end up leaving your TV a couple inches away from where you really want it. Don't cheap out on a mount.

Thank you for the advice. Do you happen to know the difference between these two Sanus mounts besides $15?

https://smile.amazon.com/Sanus-Advanced-Tilt-Premium-Mount/dp/B01N1SSOUC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sanus+tv+mount&qid=1569246402&s=gateway&sr=8-3
    vs
    https://smile.amazon.com/Sanus-Premium-Tilting-Flat-panel-BLT2-B1/dp/B076P16449/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=sanus+tv+mount&qid=1569246402&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I think the former just comes away from the wall slightly more? And just so I'm clear, they both tilt left / right as well as up and down right? The former is what's important to me.

Thanks!

• Options
    The Advanced Tilt comes out from the wall about 5 inches and will tilt left and right a little bit. The regular tilt just tilts up and down.

If you want more tilting than that, you're looking at a full arm mount which is quite a bit more money.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    The Advanced Tilt comes out from the wall about 5 inches and will tilt left and right a little bit. The regular tilt just tilts up and down.

If you want more tilting than that, you're looking at a full arm mount which is quite a bit more money.

Well, our current plasma only tilts like 3 inches, if that. As long as we still have a similar amount, then it's probably just fine. I guess I need to go to a store and check these out if that's even possible in this day and age. Thanks for the help!

edit: Really seems like this is what I want. https://smile.amazon.com/Sanus-Full-Motion-Mount-Extends-Studs/dp/B01J8FX75M/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=sanus+vlt6&qid=1569258545&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Gives me 60 degrees of left / right tilt if I'm reading the description properly and it's only $130.

edit2: And apparently not compatible with an LG OLED because LG has a proprietary mounting pattern.

shadowane on
  • Options

Well, our current plasma only tilts like 3 inches, if that. As long as we still have a similar amount, then it's probably just fine. I guess I need to go to a store and check these out if that's even possible in this day and age. Thanks for the help!

edit: Really seems like this is what I want. https://smile.amazon.com/Sanus-Full-Motion-Mount-Extends-Studs/dp/B01J8FX75M/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=sanus+vlt6&qid=1569258545&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Gives me 60 degrees of left / right tilt if I'm reading the description properly and it's only $130.

edit2: And apparently not compatible with an LG OLED because LG has a proprietary mounting pattern.

Nah, the mounting pattern is VESA standard, 200mm x 300mm. It's a bit weird because the mounting holes are so low on the TV, but I don't see why that mount wouldn't work.

Also I've never seen that mount before, it's pretty sexy.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, ordered a TV. Got a "renewed" the Vizio P75-F1 for like $350 cheaper than the new 2019 version of it. Now I just gotta wait for it to arrive and hope it wasn't a bad panel. Never gotten a renewed TV before, so I'm kinda nervous about that :|

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Nah, the mounting pattern is VESA standard, 200mm x 300mm. It's a bit weird because the mounting holes are so low on the TV, but I don't see why that mount wouldn't work.

Also I've never seen that mount before, it's pretty sexy.

I'm just going by the comments in the Amazon post along with Sanus's website. They claim it's not compatible.

https://www.sanus.com/en_us/products/mounts/olf18/ and if you put the tv in, OLED55C9PUA, it says it isn't compatible. Some of their other mounts are compatible, but they are more expensive.

Also according to some comments, you have to be really careful when using this mount because you can't adjust it at all once you hang the tv so you have to get it straight right when you put it in the wall.

edit: Okay looking at wall mounts is maddening. Even Sanus's own website seem to have misleading information on it. Frustrating.

shadowane on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Just want to pop in and give an update on my personal TCL experience.

I was very happy with my TV but noticed a very small line in the picture only about an inch long and you could only really see it against a light background. It was small but once you knew it was there was really hard not to notice.

So I sent an email to see if it was something they could help with. They had me send some pictures then called me and told me I could have them send someone out or return it to where I bought it. I didn't want to return it to amazon because that would mean repackaging and shipping it which sounds awful and being without a TV for that time would also suck. So I went with option A.

A guy called me and set up a time for him to come by with a brand new tv. He took down the old on and set up the new one and was on his way. New TV looks perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Overall, despite the flaw, a very positive experience. Sometimes you buy a product with a flaw. That is normal and I'm never going to get too upset about that. The important thing is how the company handles the issue and it this case I feel like it was handled very well.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Geek Squad's next step for my Theseus' UHD TV--turning of HDMI CEC.

Eh, why not? Aside from my PC, none of the devices plugged into the television support CEC, but it's worth a shot. I suspect at this point they're genuinely stumped and "Hey, maybe it's CEC" is just something they came up with (CEC being broken would also kind of suck for potential future purchases). It's easy enough to check: disable it and wait for the problem to repeat itself.

• Options
    CEC sucks anyway.

But I doubt that's the issue.

• Options
    When no one knows what's wrong with the TV, it comes time to guess randomly. At least this is less inconvenient than changing a part.

• Options
    You have the repair agent's card, right? So you can contact him or her directly?

I mean, I'd hate to be like "hey you should complain more" but if it power cycles again while CEC is off, you might want to escalate to their HSEAM about replacing the unit at that point.

• Options
    You have the repair agent's card, right? So you can contact him or her directly?

I mean, I'd hate to be like "hey you should complain more" but if it power cycles again while CEC is off, you might want to escalate to their HSEAM about replacing the unit at that point.

That's...what I've been doing? More or less. On Geek Squad's first visit, they gave me their number to text just so we could track the power cycles by time (so I'd text them once it happened).

As for escalation, well, if there's another visit there's probably no way it won't come up. They had already been discussing it previously when Samsung shipped them out a replacement panel.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Welp, my five year old LED VIZIO M471i-A2 is apparently dying. Top right corner looks like it has burnt out, and tonight the whole right half of the screen flickers slightly probably once a second. Having little to no experience to what may be happening, I figured I'd come here either for the skinny on LED repairs, or if there is a contemporary relatively cheap gaming television recommendation in these parts. This thing set me back about $650 before, so I expect things are more pricey now, but I'm not sure what the realm is of "relatively affordable, primarily for gaming 4K LED" options, or if one can just drag this TV down to a local Best Buy or something and get them to take a hammer to it.

Not to avoid doing research, but figured the denizens here may have regular standby options for a person to start with.

• Options
    We don't order panels as a rule, and by the description your panel is bad. New TV time.

The good news is your instinct is wrong, TVs have gotten cheaper in recent years. Depending on your budget/size requirements, you can get a pretty decent TV for the same price, or a fantastic one for just a little more.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Assuming similar budget, you want the Samsung UN55RU8000. It is about $700 and will be much better for gaming than your 6 year-old Vizio while also being larger.

• Options
    Woo, TV arrived. So glad the people who delivered it assembled it for me, because I'm not sure I would've been able to put it on my TV stand by myself. It miiiiight be a bit big? I'll have to find something to watch or play on it tonight after work. Any good 4K/HDR recommendations for Netflix/Amazon Prime? Might check out Wipeout and Ratchet and Clank, too, on the gaming side.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I still think The Grand Tour on Amazon is the best showcase for HDR. The cars look real purty.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    I still think The Grand Tour on Amazon is the best showcase for HDR. The cars look real purty.

Hm, might be worth a look. Idk if I wanna support Jeremy Clarkson, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I don't blame you. He's kind of a shitbag. But pretty cars!

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Some of the Planet Earth II scenes on Netflix look incredible, the night time city scenes in episode 5 I think it was were my go-to for showing off my TV for a while.

Edit: Just went to check and it doesn't look like they are on there any more, in Australia at least. Whoops.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »
    Some of the Planet Earth II scenes on Netflix look incredible, the night time city scenes in episode 5 I think it was were my go-to for showing off my TV for a while.

Edit: Just went to check and it doesn't look like they are on there any more, in Australia at least. Whoops.

I also don't have the UHD version of Netflix apparently and I don't really wanna spend an extra $3 a month for it. Kind of a bummer they gate that stuff off, but I get that it's probably more expensive to store and stream.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    You could try paying for it for one month. Just downgrade it back after. That's what I did when we got out 4k tv. I downgraded it because I found I couldn't really tell the difference.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Assuming similar budget, you want the Samsung UN55RU8000. It is about $700 and will be much better for gaming than your 6 year-old Vizio while also being larger.

Gah, the 55 inch won't work for our space (TV stand and corner of living room due to crappy layout). The 49 inch would probably work alright, but simple reading indicates that it loses "Freesync" which is apparently the new hotness in modern technology that isn't from 2013.

Seeing as basically anything over 50 inches is out, and anything below 50 inches from Samsung doesn't seem to offer this holy grail technology, should one keep looking? Or is it likely that 49 inches of modern technology with still low response time will be a huge improvement even without this Freesync tech?

I appear to be agonizing over what may be a minor inconvenience or a step up anyway.

• Options
    Freesync is pretty impressive if you have a computer or Xbox One X connected, but I'm not sure anything else will take advantage.

• Options
    Freesync is pretty impressive if you have a computer or Xbox One X connected, but I'm not sure anything else will take advantage.

At the moment, probably not--neither the basic Xbox One nor either model of Playstation 4 support it. The next generation of consoles probably will though.

• Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. I probably won't sweat it too much. While I'd love to have it (particularly as the next gen comes out), I don't think I'll let that be the primary factor compared to the already improvement, cost, and fact that it'll fit our furniture without fighting a battle with the lady to get a new TV stand just sos I can have more betterer gaming.

Thanks for the help all, I figure I'll go with the 49 inch recommendation and fingers crossed that just jumping to 4k will feel like a new world.

• Options
    I wouldn't have gotten Freesync if it wasn't for the fact that Samsung has started bundling it with all (or at least most) of their 4K QLED panels. It's not something I would necessarily seek out by itself, but given its royalty-free, I suspect it'll eventually become a normal feature of gaming-oriented 4K TVs in general.

• Options
    MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So, I do a lot of gaming and I'm looking at new TVs. I'm going to be attaching an Xbox One X to it. I was pretty much settled on this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-q80-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331760.p?skuId=6331760

But then I got to thinking of next gen and started looking around and found this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-q900-series-4320p-smart-8k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6355633.p?skuId=6355633

Pretty big price drop on it. I started considering future-proofing my TV choice. While I know nothing utilizes 8k yet, I know eventually things will. What really draws me to the 2nd one is also the 4k @ 120hz support, which I have not seen in any 55 inch TV until now. (I'm not going above 55 inch)

I've been comparing them on RTings, and the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the 8k unit is the higher input lag when you're outside of Game Mode. To give background on my gaming, I play both twitchy FPSes and also RPGs, so I don't always use Game Mode for all of my gaming.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm pretty settled on a QLED unit because of my gaming and the risks of burn in on LG's equivalent units (also the included Freesync on Samsung)

Marek on
    XBL: Jason Marek
  • Options
    We mentioned it above but right now the only things that do freesync are the Xbox One X and PCs. Future proof for sure, but who knows if Sony's next system will offer support.

• Options
    Marek wrote: »
    So, I do a lot of gaming and I'm looking at new TVs. I'm going to be attaching an Xbox One X to it. I was pretty much settled on this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-q80-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331760.p?skuId=6331760

But then I got to thinking of next gen and started looking around and found this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-q900-series-4320p-smart-8k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6355633.p?skuId=6355633

Pretty big price drop on it. I started considering future-proofing my TV choice. While I know nothing utilizes 8k yet, I know eventually things will. What really draws me to the 2nd one is also the 4k @ 120hz support, which I have not seen in any 55 inch TV until now. (I'm not going above 55 inch)

I've been comparing them on RTings, and the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the 8k unit is the higher input lag when you're outside of Game Mode. To give background on my gaming, I play both twitchy FPSes and also RPGs, so I don't always use Game Mode for all of my gaming.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm pretty settled on a QLED unit because of my gaming and the risks of burn in on LG's equivalent units (also the included Freesync on Samsung)

I'm in the middle of a long, pain-in-the-ass troubleshooting episode with my Samsung QLED (Q6FN, which is kind of middle-of-the-run for the QLEDs), which you can review on the last few pages on and off. Basically, it randomly power cycles once a day.

That being said, would I recommend it as a gaming TV, especially for Xbox One X? In a heartbeat. The console support is excellent (you can actually use the included remote for basic console functionality which, once you get used to it, is great). The HDR is substantially more vibrant and better than then you'd get on OLED simply due to the limits of the technology, the blacks are still really good for an LED (great adaptive brightness) and pass the "looks like the TV is off" test when properly calibrated.

For the price point, I really don't think you could be unhappy with the picture quality. It even does a good job with Xbox 360 games. The Q80 is a step up from Q6FN I believe (the distinction is that the Q7FN onwards have the one-connect box...which makes the Q6FN basically a lower end Q80 with different feet?), so I think you can count on that.

• Options
    Will you really even get much more out of a 55" 8K vs a 55" 4K TV? I feel like you'd have to sit absurdly close to get much of a difference.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Will you really even get much more out of a 55" 8K vs a 55" 4K TV? I feel like you'd have to sit absurdly close to get much of a difference.

This. And the price, while lower than it was, is still nuts for something with almost no support, and certainly no gaming support in the next cycle.

• Options
    There are people still claiming "no human can see the difference between 1080p and 4K on a 55" screen unless they're sitting at some ungodly distance" even today.

That aside, I'd be really wary of picking up an 8K screen not just because of lack of technology support (not long ago Linus Tech Tips did a couple of videos on how troublesome it was to get 8K support working on an an absurdly expensive gaming PC), but also because while 8K as a TV technological standard seems generally agreed upon and unlikely to further changed or ignored entirely like 1440p, the panels themselves are still pretty early on in development and seem like they'd benefit a lot from reliability, flexibility of inputs, ease of use, quality of upscaling. Even heat distribution is a (minor) issue. These are all things that will get better as time goes on--though when 8K will reach the point 4K has, when effectively there is no reason not to build a 4K panel over a certain size instead of one at HD (1080p) isn't immediately clear.

The original 1080p televisions sucked too. Though notably, they also weighed as much as very small cars, so at least the new 8K sets have that going for them.

• Options
    As someone who will soon own one of these new Samsungs (thanks, thread!), and as someone who hasn't bought/calibrated a television in forever, are there any easy/free resources a layperson can use to attempt to make the most of this process?

• Options
    As someone who will soon own one of these new Samsungs (thanks, thread!), and as someone who hasn't bought/calibrated a television in forever, are there any easy/free resources a layperson can use to attempt to make the most of this process?

If you have an Xbox One (or XB1X), the calibration process is pretty elaborate (I've done it so many times it's practically second nature, on account of basically having Theseus's television). I don't think the PS4 had something similar (I recently picked up a console for myself, haven't found it yet), but they might.