As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EVE Online: A study in internet spaceships and bad posts

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sup

internet spaceships

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pip, be my eve sugar daddy.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Isoldae wrote: »
    When do we murder things as a corp?

tomorrow

check the forums

Which part of the forums?

All I've seen is old posts about murdering dudes.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    When do we murder things as a corp?

tomorrow

check the forums

Which part of the forums?

All I've seen is old posts about murdering dudes.

http://forums.merchindustrial.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7666

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sup

LadyScarlet

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    we aborted one of her fetuses :p

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's implying anyone could mate with her

OH SNAP

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    never visit the eve forum if you want to continue believing that

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's implying anyone reads eveo

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    wh-who is ladyscarlet?

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DADT

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    bro

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    bbbbro

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can fly rifters tomrrow

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dammit I'm downloading the client.

Maybe I'll just pay for a month, spend what little remains of my isk on a few dramiels, and blow it all this weekend, never to play EVE again

Hopefully.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    is a game which measures ISK in the billions really trying to discourage deflation?

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. Billions is an arbitrary number for an imaginary currency for a video game set in the future. But if you want to bring logic into it, then yeah it actually makes sense that spaceships would cost hundreds of millions/billions of space dollars. They're not Casio digital watches.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I now want to fly a giant casio space watch.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    everyone would know it was time to 0wn

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    is a game which measures ISK in the billions really trying to discourage deflation?

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. Billions is an arbitrary number for an imaginary currency for a video game set in the future. But if you want to bring logic into it, then yeah it actually makes sense that spaceships would cost hundreds of millions/billions of space dollars. They're not Casio digital watches.

that was a quip

it's a small dry remark based on an ironic musing

the goal is to make someone raise an eyebrow or even smirk slightly

don't strain yourself

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I want to play a space U-boat.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

that was a quip

it's a small dry remark based on an ironic musing

the goal is to make someone raise an eyebrow or even smirk slightly

don't strain yourself

except it's not at all ironic for the reasons I stated above

you're not very good at this

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skill queue revolutionized the game

I, unironically and with only a little shame, used to set alarm clocks to be awake when my next skill would finish.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yeah, so did I

all hail the training queue

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In Eve lore non-pod pilots make jack-shit for money. Like 1 ISK a day or something. Flying spaceships is for the ultra rich,

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was reading up on the lore.

Capsuleers make Wh40k Rogue Traders look like humble, well-adjusted individuals.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You need either a really big monitor or really good eyes to play this game for very long. Type is tiny.

Also, I can see someone getting really really lost in this game fast. I'm doing exploration and military missions and they are fun but I am sure that I'm not spending my time optimally in any way. What does the latter part of the game look like? Is it still questing for agents or do the players shape their own game in some way? What does the war between player-controlled corporations look like, and what roles do individuals play in it?

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Questing and agents are pretty static apart from what rewards you get in terms of quality and quantity.

War between corporations deals with territorial control and, basically, piracy. Roaming fleets looking to ambush other forces, perhaps occasionally defending territory when appropriate. Fleets the strength of a handful up to several dozen.

Any PVE content is mostly to support PVP, which is in and of itself not specifically all that lucrative. You make money from grinding something to finance your own personal war effort.

At least, those are the notes I have taken.

So the basic flow of the game is: find some form of PVE you can tolerate to build up a war chest -> blow that warchest on PVP escapades -> repeat

If you don't like the PVP in EVE then there is not much that the game can offer you.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah that was one of the things I liked least about Eve, is that the meat of the game is PvP but it does not sustain itself, instead you have to PvE for money to buy PvP ships. And the PvE is so dreadfully, incredibly dull.

I think they tried to spice it up with those kooky wormhole aliens or whatever but those were just a riskier way to make less money.

Apparently the best way is to flip contracts/trade on the market but :spreadsheets:

How are wormholes and PI going anyway, I quit around the time PI was released and know nothing about it.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually the isk is form of currency used exclusively in space-faring transactions, and it being measured in billions does show a scale of inflation. According to lore, the current market price of a single carrier exceeds pretty much the entire annual GDP of the Caldari state.

edit: imagine something like $500,000 per Isk

Weaver on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I played Eve for a couple of months last year. During that time someone gave me a battle cruiser and then later on gave me a battleship. Maybe I should start playing again, might get gifted a titan or something.

Deicist on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You need either a really big monitor or really good eyes to play this game for very long. Type is tiny.

Also, I can see someone getting really really lost in this game fast. I'm doing exploration and military missions and they are fun but I am sure that I'm not spending my time optimally in any way. What does the latter part of the game look like? Is it still questing for agents or do the players shape their own game in some way? What does the war between player-controlled corporations look like, and what roles do individuals play in it?

Well here's a vid of a pretty standard Capital Fleet fight in lowsec space between a few player owned corps(including Goonswarm proper).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8pQl_uHVo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Now here's a vid with shitty music covering a huuuuuge 1500+ pilot fight in 49- about 2 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9REDXTdOK8&feature=fvwrel

The latter video shows a POS which is stupid and I hate it and anyone who likes them sucks and thankfully they have changed the rules of SOV since then.

Basically NPC missions are stuff to train you and get you money while in Empire (High-sec) space. Then you join, or form your own corporation and rough it in the frontier rim of the galaxy in 0.0 sec space. This is where it is PvP fighting for resources and space or just wanting to kill people for the hell of it.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was in the largest fleet fight in eve history (over 3000 pilots in one system). It was... boring. Nobody could shoot, or move for that matter. Neither side was willing to engage due to the severe lag. Everyone just sat there on teamspeak marveling at the fact that the server hadn't crashed yet. That was when I realized that coalition fighting wasn't for me, and left the NC to focus on solo/small fleet combat (which, in my opinion, is way more fun).

If anyone is wondering what it's like to have your 1.5 billion isk capital ship take fire from an enemy fleet, I managed to FRAPS the experience a few months ago. When you see your ship bleeding into structure you definitely start praying to whatever god is listening that the reps hold. Also, train thermodynamics... and biology. Drugs will save your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_J1-whKKIw

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Small gang PVP is always more fun. But big fuckoff fleets are the bread and butter of inter-alliance warfare.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man I hesitate to even post this, but I'm going to anyway.

Here is a video of a few of my friends flying around lowsec with me. They had been playing for less than a week, which is PAINFULLY obvious because the guy who recorded the video still has veldspar on his overview and forgot to turn his afterburner online. I had them train up destroyer related skills and we just went out looking for kills. I started a trial account, trained to fly a tackling rifter, and guided them through Domain.

We found a shield tanking Dominix ratting and killed him in a few destroyers without any casualties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFCCOq5MXA

The system? Hoshoun.

Related killmail: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=6734836

You might have to have a battleclinic account to see that...

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's great. I love taking noobs on roams. About a month ago we had a pirate fleet roaming around the Old Man Star area looking for a fight. I had a spy alt in the caldari militia watching them for activity. I ended up joining a fleet of militia noobs and FCing them around looking for targets. It was actually more fun then the traditional roam, although a few hours of dual boxing/dual comms ended up giving me a killer migraine.

One of the best examples of "anything can happen in eve" is the video of the drunk "pvp industrial" gang that killed a vagabond. The fastest ship (edit: fastest cruiser) in the game getting killed by some of the slowest ships in the game. Pure gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTn9EASiPMY

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Somebody dig up the killmail of that dramiel that died to a battlebadger

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's this militia stuff anyway

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That vaga video is even better because it happened when T2 ships/ammo/modules were EXTREMELY expensive - and it was before the nano-nerf which meant that vaga could have easily hit 10km/s+ if it was fit right. It just would have taken billions and billions of ISK.

There was an old GoonSwarm propaganda poster that said "your ammo cost as much as my ship" and they weren't far off. Flying around a vagabond back then was like being a fucking god.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll always remember the first time I went out hunting in a Falcon and found some dude in a maxed out Hulk ice mining, all alone in local.

*uncloak*

dude starts screaming and begging in local, I'm IRL cackling maniacally

Weaver on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did you ransom him, then blow him up anyway after he paid?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png