As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All those wonderful things we stuff in our cock-holes

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, not really a food, but over the weekend, we had a thing for my birthday, and I got a few cases of Sam Adams' summer beers for the party. Blackberry Witbier, Coastal Wheat, and Cherry Wheat.

The Blackberry is awesome, but everyone ended up drinking mimosas mostly, so the other two went untouched. I just opened up a Cherry Wheat, and it was like drinking Robitussin flavored beer. Yuck, ew nasty. So gross.

Langly on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I tried Brooklyn's Brown Ale for the first time a couple days ago

holy SHIT that was some delicious beer

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I only recently even attempted to start cooking for myself beyond microwavable/oven-only frozen stuff

and it was kind of an epiphany realizing how stupid-easy it is to make tasty things that are healthy and cheap

duh

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I should get a rice cooker.

how much are rice cookers?

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I can count on my hand the number of beers that I dislike to the point where I just won't drink one. Putting beer to waste is a horrible act, but all this is going down the drain. It didn't even taste like beer, it just tasted like someone had added hops and carbonation to a bottle of medicine.

Langly on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had so many mimosas at your house

and then I had more the next day at mother's day brunch

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    that is the best way to celebrate mother's day

Langly on
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the kind of cooking that an awful lot of American adults do (which is basically "heat, oil, vegetables and meat in together, prepare starch separately, combine") requires so little effort and talent that you have to be unbelievably slothful to be incapable of bringing yourself to do that

yeah seriously, if you can make scrambled eggs without destroying the kitchen, it only takes some recipes from Google and some practice to figure out how to make any other dish imaginable

except baking like bread and cookies

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    I had a culinary epiphany tonight.

I need some test cooks for a new BBQ rib, pull, and chicken recipe.

I would like to test your recipe if it is gluten and dairy free.

How about vegan? Maybe BBQ tofu with a mustard sauce.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    I should get a rice cooker.

how much are rice cookers?

I got mine for about $20-30, on sale (50% off). The one before that was $35ish (also on sale) but that was 10 years ago and I forget the exact details.

Being Asian (well, Macanese), I use it 3-4 times a week. I can do a fierce coconut rice that goes excellently with Thai curries.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    upon looking local stores up, I can get one for fifteen dollars

How do you do coconut rice in them? just replace the water for coconut milk?

#pipe on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I got a really expensive rice cooker for my birthday and... I wish I'd just gotten a cheap one. It is alright, there are cheap ones out there you just throw the rice and water in and flick a switch and bam you can come back to it later and it is done.

Mine needs fairly constant attention. And sucks a little bit. Stupid Cuisinart.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    So, not really a food, but over the weekend, we had a thing for my birthday, and I got a few cases of Sam Adams' summer beers for the party. Blackberry Witbier, Coastal Wheat, and Cherry Wheat.

The Blackberry is awesome, but everyone ended up drinking mimosas mostly, so the other two went untouched. I just opened up a Cherry Wheat, and it was like drinking Robitussin flavored beer. Yuck, ew nasty. So gross.

i have a weird relationship with Cherry Wheat

the first time I tried it I hated it, but that was when I really didn't like beer
    then after i got into beer i thought it was okay
    then I was at a bar and the guy suggested mixing it with Guinness (a "black cherry") and it was awesome
    then every time I've had a black cherry it hasn't been great

now i just don't drink

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fishman's recipe for Coconut Rice (using a rice cooker):

For 2 Cups of rice:
    2 Cups Coconut Milk
    2 Cups Water
    2-3 teaspoons of white sugar
    a couple of pinches of salt.

Add all ingredients to cooker. Give it a quick stir, then start the cooker.
    Stir occasionally, to stop the sugar burning to the bottom of the bowl.
    When done, let it sit for a little while to thicken.

Note, the recipe scales pretty easily, so if you want to make more or less rice, it's fairly easy to do. It's also pretty simple to adjust the proportions - you can use less coconut milk and still get a fairly acceptable result (just bring up the water to match). Using strict proportions, this is probably quite a wet recipe, but it'll depend a bit on what your cooker is like. A good starting point at least, until you find something you like.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yeah I like a much drier coconut rice

there's a thai place right near me that does the best I've ever had

When I was at design college I'd finish a 10 hour day in the evening and stop there on the way home and just get a thing of coconut rice, go home, get some frozen peas, microwave them up, put the peas in the rice and that was my dinner.

and also my lunch the next day.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, for a drier rice, just drop the Coconut Milk and Water in equal proportions. I tend to use slightly less than the amounts I posted these days, but that was where I started.

Fishman on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

except he and his wife aren't vegan
    you seem to have a need to prove how fucking macho you think you are

guess what? the gluten and dairy free are because his wife is allergic to them
    so, you know, he's trying not to make his wife sick instead of being the tree hugging hippy you want to imagine he is

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Usagi wrote: »
    Lemongrass chicken on Sunday, a fucking amazing beef inasal-style with garlic-chile-vinegar dipping sauce yesterday, udon with shiitake and chicken tonight, and chicken biryani tomorrow night

What I'm saying here is that Dru is a pretty bitchin' cook

And you know we'll test things Dan, PM recipes away

awww, you're too kind baby
    I'm really proud that neither of us has resorted to eating a microwaveable frozen meal since you moved out here because one or both of us is always cooking something good to eat, aside from us occasionally eating out

team effort!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My wife is away for 6 weeks.

So I get to go on a dairy and spicy-food binge.

Ah yeah, curries and pastas; Mexican and white sauce. So much good food to eat.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey dru he uh.. seemed to be offering that as advice in fairly good faith? He didn't seem to be trying to be a dick about it like you are making it out to be.

Granted he was still off the mark, but I don't see any reason to assume he was being malicious in his posting intent.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

except he and his wife aren't vegan
    you seem to have a need to prove how fucking macho you think you are

guess what? the gluten and dairy free are because his wife is allergic to them
    so, you know, he's trying not to make his wife sick instead of being the tree hugging hippy you want to imagine he is

where does this hostility arise from

this seems like a pretty reasonable post

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    Hey dru he uh.. seemed to be offering that as advice in fairly good faith? He didn't seem to be trying to be a dick about it like you are making it out to be.

Granted he was still off the mark, but I don't see any reason to assume he was being malicious in his posting intent.

You're looking at a single post, I'm looking at one post in a series that looks to me like some bro constantly trying to show everyone in the room how cool he is by dry humping them.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey dru he uh.. seemed to be offering that as advice in fairly good faith?

preeeeetty sure suggesting tofu with bbq sauce as a substitute for BBQ Pork and chicken was sarcastic

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kako would never sincerely suggest someone eat tofu. It's not manly enough in his eyes.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i've got no dog in this fight, but even trolls play nice sometimes.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh that is silly. Tofu can be great.

It can also be awful.

Which I guess goes for most food.

Artreus on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Stale send me your recipes! I don't give a shit about gluten, because what's life if you don't live sometimes.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    tumblr_ll2hmonfCm1qiiu18o1_500.gif

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I got a really expensive rice cooker for my birthday and... I wish I'd just gotten a cheap one. It is alright, there are cheap ones out there you just throw the rice and water in and flick a switch and bam you can come back to it later and it is done.

Mine needs fairly constant attention. And sucks a little bit. Stupid Cuisinart.

Odd. The more expensive ones I know are like that, but with better features, like setting a timer for when you want rice ready for you just when you get home or to keep it warm throughout the day. But my experience is from Japan and the most expensive one I used played "Mary had a little lamb" when I started it.

My basic advice for a rice cooker is to get one with an attached lid. It doesn't cost much more (mine was $25 at Target), but they are so much better quality.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    what's da matter with dietary veganism

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    apart from difficulty getting enough protien and iron, nothing at all!

#pipe on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just had a BBQ with some friends. Nothing special, just hot dogs and hamburgers. We did play Smash Bros. Brawl for several hours. Good food with good company is what I'm getting at.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    #1: chickpeas (MMM), seitan (but BLUGH), tofu (ehhh), nuts/legumes (yes), quinoa (YES), spinach (yessss)

#2: spinach, kale, chard, all of which is DELISH

I mean I know dumb vegans have trouble with it, but dumb folks ain't worth getting in a tizz about. Super, super easy to get enough nutrients on a vegan diet

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Beans and rice erryday.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    spinach makes my teeth feel gross

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    spinach is tasty

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spinach makes you grow big and strong!

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i'd like to get some advice on what kinds of foods i can make all at once and then eat gradually throughout a few days

with school back up i'm going to be home hardly ever and needing to eat 2-3 times a day outside of the house, i'd like to do that cheaply

One of my old standbys is to take a bunch of chicken breasts, cook them up, dice it, and store. Then I cook up a bunch of brown rice and store that as well. Next, chop up a bunch of veggies (onions, carrots, whatevs), store it as well. I double check that I have eggs and sri racha

BAM, two-minute chicken fried rice whenever I want it, and it costs next to nothing. You can also make it ahead and take it along, it'll keep for a few days. Hope you have access to a microwave, though

Also lasagna. That's a good one. And if you make a whole mess of spaghetti sauce you can just boil up the pasta as needed when you're at home, and if you need to be out boil it in the morning, toss it in a tupperware container and pour the sauce over it. Reheat when ready. Comes out surprisingly well

Of course most days I end up eating tuna or peanut butter sandwiches when I'm not at home, because I am boring and cheap

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kale and chard are really good if they're grown properly

unfortunately most of the time they're just beyond bitter and totally unpalatable for my delicate constitution

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like

Bok choy

Didgeridoo on
This discussion has been closed.