As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Super Mario 3D Land less than a month away!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    This thing is a shiny red paperweight until I get me some Metroid.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy with mine so far - but I've never played Ocarina and I haven't played more than 5 min of a true Star Fox game (I had Adventures for the Cube and that was it). My son has stolen it for now though - when he realized he could watch Mario and HeMan on Netflix I lost possession...

• Options
    A few questions that have come up...

How did the Lego games translate to the 3DS - worth picking up Clone Wars for $20ish?

How is Monkeyball? It's cheap but I see bad reviews. Are the reviews bad because it has less variety in minigames or because the core gameplay is flawed this time around?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    This thing is a shiny red paperweight until I get me some Metroid.

What about a Castlevania? That's the one thing that will get me to buy a 3ds. See my av.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I know a couple people with Clone Wars who enjoyed it. No multi, but if you're fine without it, it's a serviceable game with good graphics and a lot of stuff to unlock. It's not a port of the HD versions and not a port of the DS one, it's its own thing and it does it well. Mostly platforming levels with some dogfighting too.

Super Monkey Ball is supposed to be really easy, with a few challenges showing up near the end but nothing like the stage design of the first few games. The few minigames that are included are junk and there were complaints that the gyroscope tilt mode doesn't work with 3D mode. This was a big deal at launch, being one of the flagship features of the system, but I think people have come to terms with that now and just deal with it. But otherwise it just seems like a blah game. It's not buggy or anything, just not well balanced.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Taya wrote:
    Has anyone played Spirit Tracks on the 3DS? I'm trying to play the flute and having a ton of difficulty, I assume because of the 3DS microphone. Most of the time it doesn't register my mad blows so I can't learn this song.

I'm currently playing Spirit Tracks on the 3DS right now, and the biggest thing is the game is meant for a mic where it was on the DS/DSi, between the two screens. Remember the mic on the 3DS is below and to the right of the bottom screen (below the start button), so you need to blow there. It's awkward, but once you've done it a couple times you get the hang of it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Yes I finally got the hang of the mic parts just in time for the forest temple. I still don't care for the microphone in my DS games though. It's rarely done in a fun, not annoying way.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I know a couple people with Clone Wars who enjoyed it. No multi, but if you're fine without it, it's a serviceable game with good graphics and a lot of stuff to unlock. It's not a port of the HD versions and not a port of the DS one, it's its own thing and it does it well. Mostly platforming levels with some dogfighting too.

Super Monkey Ball is supposed to be really easy, with a few challenges showing up near the end but nothing like the stage design of the first few games. The few minigames that are included are junk and there were complaints that the gyroscope tilt mode doesn't work with 3D mode. This was a big deal at launch, being one of the flagship features of the system, but I think people have come to terms with that now and just deal with it. But otherwise it just seems like a blah game. It's not buggy or anything, just not well balanced.

I will point out that Clone Wars kind of snowballs once you've unlocked the brick multiplier 'cheats' (read: the only way to unlock characters), as each one begets another, and they're cumulative. You'll come out of each level with 3 million bricks minimum per level, and at that point unlocking everything is trivial. Except the pedometer coin-unlockables.
    Until then, though, great fun. Until OoT it was a constant in my 3ds.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Taya wrote:
    Yes I finally got the hang of the mic parts just in time for the forest temple. I still don't care for the microphone in my DS games though. It's rarely done in a fun, not annoying way.

The sole exception for me being Tin Pin Blade. Easy to trigger, and nice to have an action freed up for something else.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    So I finally got enough cash together to grab Star Fox 64. Didn't bother reading anything about it. I mean, it's Star Fox 64, what could they possibly fuck up?

Oh. Ok. They changed the voices. Huh.

....Wait, I have to reach across the button pads and hit Y to use a bomb? Why the fuck isn't bomb on B, and brake on Y?

I swear to god, Nintendo is like an alcoholic father who shows up once or twice a year to give you the present you've always wanted, but he threw up in the box on the car ride over.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote:
    So I finally got enough cash together to grab Star Fox 64. Didn't bother reading anything about it. I mean, it's Star Fox 64, what could they possibly fuck up?

....Wait, I have to reach across the button pads and hit Y to use a bomb? Why the fuck isn't bomb on B, and brake on Y?

I swear to god, Nintendo is like an alcoholic father who shows up once or twice a year to give you the present you've always wanted, but he threw up in the box on the car ride over.

Voices are the same people from the original mate, just re-recorded.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    V Faction wrote:
    Raiden333 wrote:

When every tiny inflection of the original recordings is burned into memory, it just comes off as, well, off.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Deal with it, Einstein!

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Houn wrote:
    V Faction wrote:
    Raiden333 wrote:

When every tiny inflection of the original recordings is burned into memory, it just comes off as, well, off.

Exactly. I must have played Starfox 64 like 50 times. In each difficulty.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    That threw me off too. Still don't like the re recordings.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think they messed up the voices pretty bad, too.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote:
    Taya wrote:
    Has anyone played Spirit Tracks on the 3DS? I'm trying to play the flute and having a ton of difficulty, I assume because of the 3DS microphone. Most of the time it doesn't register my mad blows so I can't learn this song.

I'm currently playing Spirit Tracks on the 3DS right now, and the biggest thing is the game is meant for a mic where it was on the DS/DSi, between the two screens. Remember the mic on the 3DS is below and to the right of the bottom screen (below the start button), so you need to blow there. It's awkward, but once you've done it a couple times you get the hang of it.

DS Lite or DSi, you mean. I simply could not play it right on the regular DS.

Why the heck would they move the mic back to the bottom, anyway?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Changing physical space requirements that make it more convenient to relocate hardware.

In any event...some bad news.

http://andriasang.com/comynb/
    If you were still holding out for a surprise announcement regarding online play for Monster Hunter 3G, it's time to give up. Capcom has posted a response at its support page confirming that the game will not allow for cooperative online play.

As detailed at the support page, the game uses the internet for download event quests. If you want to play cooperatively with other hunters, you'll need to do so locally.

This ad-hoc only play scheme is similar to the PSP Monster Hunter games, but different from the online compatible console games.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I wonder why they re-recorded. The voices were supposed to sound bad, it was over radio. Now they're too clean.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Changing physical space requirements that make it more convenient to relocate hardware.

If you were still holding out for a surprise announcement regarding online play for Monster Hunter 3G, it's time to give up. Capcom has posted a response at its support page confirming that the game will not allow for cooperative online play.

As detailed at the support page, the game uses the internet for download event quests. If you want to play cooperatively with other hunters, you'll need to do so locally.

This ad-hoc only play scheme is similar to the PSP Monster Hunter games, but different from the online compatible console games.

Meh, that was expected for me actually. The handheld games have so far never been online. I wonder if they'll change that for MH4 though as it's the major follow up from Tri.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    So I'm just finishing up that Tom Clancy game (only three more Skirmish missions left).

Are there any other cheap, under the radar games, or should I just go with Zelda or Starfox next?

• Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Meh, that was expected for me actually. The handheld games have so far never been online. I wonder if they'll change that for MH4 though as it's the major follow up from Tri.

Yeah, why is that exactly? I've never played a MH, but I was always under the impression that multiplayer was a huge part of it.

• Options
    In Japan, local multiplayer reigns supreme. They may decide to add Online if they bring it over, but who knows. Online isn't huge in Japan.

I mean they had to pay a monthly fee to play Tri online in Japan, and it was only free here.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    So I'm just finishing up that Tom Clancy game (only three more Skirmish missions left).

Are there any other cheap, under the radar games, or should I just go with Zelda or Starfox next?

Previous versions of Pinball Hall of Fame have been very well-liked. Obviously you need to be able to enjoy a good pinball simulation. The 3DS version has 7 real world tables and it's $30 on Amazon which isn't too bad, though personally I'm waiting to get it in a B1G1 deal if I can.

It hasn't had incredibly stellar reviews so far but not for any glaring issues - it's just a pinball game. :)

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/reviews/2011/10/pinball_hall_of_fame_the_williams_collection_3ds

• Options
    So...my son has fallen in love with my 3DS and is thinking about selling some Pokemon cards and his DSi to get his own. He probably does have enough to do that.

I kept reading about scratching issues between the top and bottom screens and that the bumpers were more pronounced on the flame red version to help prevent that so it was one reason I grabbed the red one. Is it still an issue or when he gets his own are we safe getting blue or black so we can tell the things apart?

• Options
    Woo, Gamestop emailed me and told me I had 5 bucks on hold with them. So I went over and moved it to SM3DL, Can't wait. :D

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Woohoo - Star Fox Get! I now have 2 games for my new toy. I don't think the battery life is as bad as people made it sound either.

I've certainly had no complaints. I guess it's 5/6 hours or so with the 3d and wifi on, but I'm rarely away from a charger and playing non stop for that kind of time outside of a long distance plane journey.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Woohoo - Star Fox Get! I now have 2 games for my new toy. I don't think the battery life is as bad as people made it sound either.

I've certainly had no complaints. I guess it's 5/6 hours or so with the 3d and wifi on, but I'm rarely away from a charger and playing non stop for that kind of time outside of a long distance plane journey.

Same here, plus I tend to keep mine in the charging dock when I'm not using it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Hopefully we'll get more reasons to take it out of the charging dock soonish. I need those GBA games.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'm excited that a bunch of people I met at the college dorms have 3DS' and recently downloaded Four Swords. We are going to play that game the way it's meant to be played very soon.

Yesterday we played four-player Tetris via Download Play.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    With Mario coming in less than a month and Pokemon Rumble Blast coming next week (which actually looks pretty good), I should have more than enough to keep me entertained. Not mention the new Layton and my pretty big backlog.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SirUltimos wrote:
    That threw me off too. Still don't like the re recordings.
    Yeah, I think they messed up the voices pretty bad, too.
    agoaj wrote:
    I wonder why they re-recorded. The voices were supposed to sound bad, it was over radio. Now they're too clean.

Don't you think they had to? Giant Bomb says...
    With such a cool visual makeover on top of an already memorable and fun campaign, Star Fox 64 3D seems like it does everything right to appeal to its nostalgic fan base and bring in new fans at the same time. But the high levels of reverence for the original game end there, as Star Fox 64 3D makes too many decisions that detract from its nostalgic appeal. Chief amongst those offenses--especially for fans of the original game-- is the rerecording of the game’s famous voice acting. For whatever reason, Nintendo and Q-Games opted to bring the original voice actors back into the studio to once again capture that specific mixture of silly cliches, bizarre inflections and G-rated thrills that made the original characters memorable. But apparently that magic is gone forever, because the cast just can’t hit those notes you and I remember. Inflections are wrong, lines have been changed, Falco sounds way too much like a jerk, Fox comes across like a whiner, and Andross’ crazy hyena laugh has completely vanished. Nintendo has clearly gone through a lot of work to recreate that lost voice acting with high-quality audio. But with no option to play those classic voice tracks, Star Fox 64 3D is left with a facsimile that doesn’t deliver the same thrills.

People want the old and they want the new. Yet if they still had the same exact sound files from before, they'd probably get rebutted for not updating them. It's a weird topic, but it happens all the time with characters and voices. The most recent one is the Silent Hill 2 re-release, but I remember people getting super critical when previous Starfox games weren't using the original actors (prompting this decision here I'm sure). I feel like they honored the old game by doing what they did.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    It had been so long since I played Star Fox I could only remember the voices from the SNES version. "Hurm hurm nur NUR nurm." I thought it was so weird that they'd replaced the gibberish talk with actual voices.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote:

I just hope we aren't killing the battery life by leaving it charging :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Taya wrote:
    I'm excited that a bunch of people I met at the college dorms have 3DS' and recently downloaded Four Swords. We are going to play that game the way it's meant to be played very soon.

Yesterday we played four-player Tetris via Download Play.

Living the dream!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    skeldare wrote:

I just hope we aren't killing the battery life by leaving it charging :(

It stops charging when it gets to 100%.

• Options
    Nintendo is holding some sort of conference this Friday, 7am EST/4am PST.
    Nintendo put on an impressive show in mid September at the Nintendo Conference press event. But apparently they have even more to show.

The company announced today that it will hold the "Nintendo 3DS New Information Internet Presentation" on Friday (October 21). This pre-recorded presentation, hosted by CEO Satoru Iwata, will cover details that could not be covered during the September event.

As an example of what to expect from the event, Nintendo mentioned details on the November firmware update and Mario Kart 7's wireless play support.

The presentation will be held at 20:00 and will be broadcast at Ustream and Nico Nico Video. See Nintendo's page for links when the time comes.

Speculation is that it will have something to do with announcements mentioned here:
    Nintendo is planning three major classes of upgrades to the Nintendo 3DS soon. It’ll be able to shoot 3-D movies, something they’ve been working on since before the hardware came out. They’re going to make major changes to the Street Pass Mii Plaza, and to the eShop, Iwata says. No details just yet on what those changes will be.

And/or release dates for the GBA games...

• Options
    Hehe, lol Japanese gaming and such, but this has got to be one of the best names for a game ever.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=164086&sid=71fd65c836cc4d90d211b38afeffd9ff

"If I were in a sealed room with girl, I'd probably XXX"

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Probably eating for fun . . . and then for survival.

That other game takes oversized weapons to new heights too. Quite literally.

god_of_princess-1(1).jpg

Yeah, I'm not so sure she would be able to lift that thing.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Lift what? The sword or breasts? :winky:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.