Options

[SW:TOR]OMG PRE-ORDER OMG! (Wait Collector's Edition is $150? D:) Pre-Order Details in OP

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Lucas didn't do the Christmas Special?

Nope.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In terms of exposure, Jar Jar is still the worst even if he is contextually not as bad as something else in the EU. He is burned into our collective counscious now. We are stuck with his grisly memory... forever.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    juanpierrejuanpierre Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some people do great things...

Just not all the time.

Lucas was certainly responsible for the success of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. He was behind the story, and he was the emotional force behind the special effects breakthroughs. But he was losing his mojo even as far back as Return of the Jedi. Some may not be old enough to remember, but the Ewoks and the Luke/Leia twinhood were not received very well by the new community. The movie wasn't bad enough to kill the magic, but it certainly didn't live up to The Empire Strikes Back (one of the best 10 movies of all time imo). And obviously Episode I sucked, but the prequels got better with time (a little). Even beyond Star Wars, he was a mix of success (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Willow) and failure (Radioland Murders, Howard the Duck).

The guy did some incredible things that changed the sci fi industry and special effects. And his initial movies were classic storytelling, conjoining sci fi, old west, and mythology in a way that was genius. But that doesn't mean he can't screw up.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The thing is though, while I agree with you. Lucas SHOULD be aware enough to know his strengths and weaknesses. When one of the best 10 movies of all time imo is the movie you didn't direct, you should be taking some cues from that.

People were telling Lucas that his dialogue was horrible even during the original movies. He had absolutely no excuse to not know this and hire someone better instead of surrounding himself with yes men.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    personally I enjoyed several series in the EU. it's not all bad.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    People were telling Lucas that his dialogue was horrible even during the original movies. He had absolutely no excuse to not know this and hire someone better instead of surrounding himself with yes men.

I agree with you here. I think he's generally a good writer. Not necessarily a good director, for the reason you gave here. I also think that something he's been overall good at is pushing the envelope with special effects and using them well. Granted, he overused them in the prequels, but the blue-screening he did in the first films (especially with spacecraft) was revolutionary. And he was the first producer to use CGI morphing in a movie (Willow), which was a major breakthrough.

He has his failures, but I'll always defend the guy simply for the high quality of his successes, namely Episode IV & V, and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Those movies had significant impact on the formation of my imagination as a child. I can't shit on a guy that does that. :D

juanpierre on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think I'll ever forget Harrison Ford's quote to Lucas during IV:

"George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it."

VoodooV on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    juanpierre wrote: »

I agree with you here. I think he's generally a good writer. Not necessarily a good director, for the reason you gave here. I also think that something he's been overall good at is pushing the envelope with special effects and using them well. Granted, he overused them in the prequels, but the blue-screening he did in the first films (especially with spacecraft) was revolutionary. And he was the first producer to use CGI morphing in a movie (Willow), which was a major breakthrough.

He has his failures, but I'll always defend the guy simply for the high quality of his successes, namely Episode IV & V, and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Those movies had significant impact on the formation of my imagination as a child. I can't shit on a guy that does that. :D

He's not a good writer though.

Seriously, read up on the making of Star Wars and what you see is that while he had alot of good ideas, he also had a TON of shitty ones. Like, really bad ones. And his script writing sucked. It was the people around him who helped them come to fruition. People who told him "No, that sucks George, don't do that/rewrite that/etc". He rewrote A New Hope like 5 times or something like that as people kept telling him "No, it sucks, do it again".

The suck in ROTJ is pretty much all a result of Lucas seizing back control from his less active roll in the plot and such in ESB. That's where the big drop in quality comes from. The prequels are Lucas set free, with no one to contain him.

shryke on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The prequels did not get better, they were all equally bad, just in different ways. In fact, in some ways the hamfisted "romance" dialogue made the 2nd and 3rd ones even more cringe-inducing than the 1st one.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I never had a problem with Young Anakin. He and his mother were treated somewhat well for slaves so being a happy kid isn't too out there. Knowing my nieces and nephews, Anakin was fine. He wasn't suppose to be born The Dark Lord Of The Sith. Let him be an annoying kid.

Teenage Anakin from Ep2 was crap though.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The younglings...

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I never had a problem with Young Anakin. He and his mother were treated somewhat well for slaves so being a happy kid isn't too out there. Knowing my nieces and nephews, Anakin was fine. He wasn't suppose to be born The Dark Lord Of The Sith. Let him be an annoying kid.

Teenage Anakin from Ep2 was crap though.

1) Yippppeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!
    2) Are you an angel?

emp123 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My problem with lil' ani wasn't that he was unrealistic as a force-stuffed child prodigy necessarily, it was that the first film had to thoroughly document him.

I thought the PT improved from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3, it was just that hayden christiensen didn't get any better.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    remember how child Anakin, despite never flying a ship before, managed to blow up the Separatist ship controlling all the droids, winning the space battle of Naboo single-handily?

yeah, that was probably a bit too much.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some enterprising fellow (not me) has cut the 3 blur trailers together in the correct order with some filler text to make a Jumbo-Size awesome trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNHLMWIN_rs

Thought I would throw this one in here just cos it really does deserve to be added to the OP for all to see :)

*I would embed, but I'm not certain of how...

...or it could just embed itself (now I look like fool :P )

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    emp123 wrote: »

1) Yippppeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!
    2) Are you an angel?

You've never expressed enjoyment as a child then? Or made awkward compliments to an older women?

I had more theological questions based on the angel line then anything else.

As for the Space Battle of Naboo, I figured R2-D2 did his best co-piloting behind the scenes after taking the auto pilot off.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Bioware needs to come out and tell us when they are going to take all of our money so we can let our other creditors down easy.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    holy shit, the words in between were really good, too. SUPER PUMPED.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    He's not a good writer though.

Seriously, read up on the making of Star Wars and what you see is that while he had alot of good ideas, he also had a TON of shitty ones. Like, really bad ones. And his script writing sucked. It was the people around him who helped them come to fruition. People who told him "No, that sucks George, don't do that/rewrite that/etc". He rewrote A New Hope like 5 times or something like that as people kept telling him "No, it sucks, do it again".

Let me clarify 'writer.' He concocted a great story with great characters. Putting that together into a movie (screenwriting & directing), he may lack in, and it seems good people around him helped, like you said.

shryke wrote: »
    The suck in ROTJ is pretty much all a result of Lucas seizing back control from his less active roll in the plot and such in ESB. That's where the big drop in quality comes from. The prequels are Lucas set free, with no one to contain him.

A very big part of the dropoff in Return of the Jedi is also because of his burnout from ESB and problems he was having in his personal life.

I don't know enough about the story surrounding the making of the prequels to know how controlling he was/wasn't. And I don't necessarily think that Jar Jar or young Ani or Christiansen were to blame, though they all certainly didn't help. The basic problem with the prequels in my opinion was a lack of character development in writing. Regardless of acting, Anakin, Padme, and Obi Wan were all bleh characters. Obi Wan was too flat. Padme was too flat (pun intended), when she shouldn't have been. And Anakin was WAY too round, except that when his character change happened it was too fast and therefore felt fake (just after killing Mace Windu). The first movies had a well developed hero, antihero, damsel, villain, and comedy relief. The prequels had NONE of these. That was Lucas' major failure. He wrote a bleh story with dramatically weak characters. Unfortunately, his great success earlier led us all to major disappointment.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Some enterprising fellow (not me) has cut the 3 blur trailers together in the correct order with some filler text to make a Jumbo-Size awesome trailer.

That's awesome. It's cool to see all three of them together.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So guys with the talk of the prequels, I figured that we could all use a way to make us look on them in a good light!

I give you...

http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

Darths & Droids! A comic that depicts the prequels as a groups original Pen and Paper game. Enjoy, it's hilarious at times.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It was pretty funny at first...I've found it's gotten worse and worse as time goes on though.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The LOTR one he did first was much better.

shryke on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    Can I remind everyone for the three thousandth fucking time that this thread is about TOR and not about Star Wars in general. It's not as though there aren't other places on the internet to talk about the bloody prequels.

Tube on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Being information starved makes fans desperate :<

Though those of us yapping about the movies and EU could go over to the D&D Star Wars thread =D

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've actually been told that Lucasarts is fixing not to make a fucking dime off of TOR. This is more than a little surprising, since I was under the impression getting the star wars license at all required a small fortune

Javen on
  • Options
    Jokers GambleJokers Gamble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Being information starved makes fans desperate :<

Though those of us yapping about the movies and EU could go over to the D&D Star Wars thread =D

It's almost as bad as the WH40K MMO thread. Talk about lack of info.

On Topic:

I keep trying to figure out which Class is going to be the least over played so I can pick it. Then I realize they're all going to be overplayed so it's between Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior now. That impale move just looks so slick when it finishes someone off. I just hope all the Sith Warriors dont have to look like they've been hitting the bench press 24/7. Darth Buff Tuffdark isn't my particular flavor of character.

Jokers Gamble on
  • Options
    TrumbotTrumbot DJ On the one.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The sith warrior and jedi knight will definitely be the most overpopulated classes. If you want to be contrarian, I would recommend an imperial agent or possibly a Jedi consular, though the agent will be the most under utilized.

They've also shown through leaks that you can pick from 4 different body types with skinny and big-boneded being the poles.

Trumbot on
    10aeb40c239e9f62.png
  • Options
    Jokers GambleJokers Gamble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Agent does look interesting. The Sniper spec is definitely interesting when combined with the cover mechanic. I wouldn't mind sitting up on a balcony taking pop shot at Jedi from a comfortable distance. Plus the Story seems to be that of an fascist James Bond. Seems like it could be fun.

Jokers Gamble on
  • Options
    ShiningfuryShiningfury Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Based upon the stickied poll about character class choice, among official forum readers the Sith Inquisitor will be the most popular (by a good margin) followed by the Jedi Consular and then all the rest. Smuggler is by far the least popular choice.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=271500

Shiningfury on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Can I remind everyone for the three thousandth fucking time that this thread is about TOR and not about Star Wars in general. It's not as though there aren't other places on the internet to talk about the bloody prequels.

Sorry. I missed the 2,999 fucking times before this one. Good thing you're on the job, though. Don't know what I would have done without this reminder.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I keep trying to figure out which Class is going to be the least over played so I can pick it. Then I realize they're all going to be overplayed so it's between Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior now. That impale move just looks so slick when it finishes someone off. I just hope all the Sith Warriors dont have to look like they've been hitting the bench press 24/7. Darth Buff Tuffdark isn't my particular flavor of character.

Will probably depend on the server. A better question is probably which class will be least played in your guild. If you're already in one on the Bioware site, then you've got your answer.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    Sorry. I missed the 2,999 fucking times before this one. Good thing you're on the job, though. Don't know what I would have done without this reminder.

I live to serve. Hopefully the new thread title will make it easier for you.

Tube on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aww, no more Star Wars discussions.

Alright people, back to talking about World of Warcraft!
    I'm so sorry.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I live to serve. Hopefully the new thread title will make it easier for you.

Nice.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I wish to play a trooper, but I feel like the big guns look stupid.

I'll probably play a Consular first, because I like healing, and they just feel like the proper healing class.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Based upon the stickied poll about character class choice, among official forum readers the Sith Inquisitor will be the most popular (by a good margin) followed by the Jedi Consular and then all the rest. Smuggler is by far the least popular choice.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=271500

Yeah, I have a feeling that the non forum going fans are going to angle far more towards the Republic because of Jedi. Any poll on that forum should be taken with more than a grain of salt.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bioware needs to come out and tell us when they are going to take all of our money so we can let our other creditors down easy.

Preach it, brother.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Javen wrote: »
    I've actually been told that Lucasarts is fixing not to make a fucking dime off of TOR. This is more than a little surprising, since I was under the impression getting the star wars license at all required a small fortune
    This cannot possibly be true.

Fairchild on
This discussion has been closed.