As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Blood]...what is going on?

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    Exactly. I'm rooting for Marni/Antonia so hard right now. From the moment I've started watching this show I've firmly believed that the best course of action is for humans to exterminate vampires. Each season has reinforced this opinion, because they act like they are Olympian gods who take pleasure in toying with humans. I've been waiting for this season because we finally see a human with the power to put them in check. I'm actually disappointed that Lafayette is a medium instead if a straight up witch. After Marni is dealt with, it'd be nice if he remained as a sort of check on vampire power and was simultaneously cured of his fear of Eric.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Heard good stuff about this series so I'm getting the first DVD off of netflix. The first episode wasn't bad but it wasn't explosively interesting either. Does it pick up from here? Because I feel like the series has a good amount of potential but it seems like it needs some time before it really gets rolling.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    This love rectangle shit has to stop. It is so god damned silly.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    But on the plus side, Anna Paquin still looks great naked.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Heard good stuff about this series so I'm getting the first DVD off of netflix. The first episode wasn't bad but it wasn't explosively interesting either. Does it pick up from here? Because I feel like the series has a good amount of potential but it seems like it needs some time before it really gets rolling.

To answer this question, we need to know a little bit about you, as a viewer. So...do you like tits?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote:

Rectangle? I know about Bill -> Sookie -> Eric, Jason -> Jessica -> Hoyt, and Tommy -> Luna -> Sam but where's the rectangle? That's three seperate triangles. Tara/Naomi and Jesus/Lafayette aren't in polygons at the moment.

I suppose you could add in Diane -> Alcide -> Sookie, but that still wouldn't make a rectangle, more of some sort of fucked up pointy Oroboros.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Nobody wants Bill, so he is outside any shape you may come up with. So, the rectangle is Sookie>Eric>Diane>Alcide.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Each season takes a few episodes to get going. In the mean time, take this lull as an opportunity to enjoy the sexy people sexing on each other.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Yeah for me it's just like any other series (cept Game of Thrones), the first episode was kind of meh but I put time into it and it just gets better and better as it goes along. This season is no different, first episode is by far the worst of the whole season. Also tits. The series is good don't get me wrong but it plays on it being silly, so if you don't like some silly shit with your srsbsn tea, you might not like it a whole lot.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Rooting so much for the witches now. Too bad that they're going to get their asses beat, since the vampires are kinda the important characters in this show. I wouldn't mind some more powerful witches appearing as a check against the vampires though, so they don't quite have the ability to dick around as they want without the risk of going sunbathing when they least expect it. Jesus' Grandpa seems exactly the type to fuck some people/vampires/whatever up if they mess with him.

Antonia is the good guy in my books, but her portrayal is definitely as a villain. Vampires are in the end in this show a whole bunch of murderers and rapists, with very few exceptions. I don't see why they should get wholesale amnesty for their crimes prior to stepping in public.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:
    Exactly. I'm rooting for Marni/Antonia so hard right now. From the moment I've started watching this show I've firmly believed that the best course of action is for humans to exterminate vampires.

wow dude.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I'm all about the tits and silly shit. This is good news.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:
    Exactly. I'm rooting for Marni/Antonia so hard right now. From the moment I've started watching this show I've firmly believed that the best course of action is for humans to exterminate vampires.

wow dude.

What have you seen in the series that refutes wiping out the vampires isn't a good idea for humanity. Not "We don't like the way the vampire look at us, lets kill them!" but like "If they could, the vampires would eat us all. And they've made a start of it already.". The most innocent Vampire we've meet so far is Jessica and she isn't innocent and in fact seems to be slipping.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:

wow dude.

What have you seen in the series that refutes wiping out the vampires isn't a good idea for humanity. Not "We don't like the way the vampire look at us, lets kill them!" but like "If they could, the vampires would eat us all. And they've made a start of it already.". The most innocent Vampire we've meet so far is Jessica and she isn't innocent and in fact seems to be slipping.

Godric seemed to have been pretty well reformed, but Steven Root's vampire was probably the most innocent from what we've seen.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Even assuming Godric is exempt (his previous trillion years suggests he's not) there 1. Vampires still gotta go so far. We'll add Jessica. 2. Still goners.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Seems more reasonable to punish each according to their crimes, rather than collective extermination.

When dealing with immortals, I'd also advocate a statute of limitations on all offenses. If you committed genocide 2000 years ago, but have been a pillar of the community for the last 200: So be it.

• Options
    You'd doom the human race...that sounds harsh, doesn't it...but DOOM, I say!

Everyone should want to become a vampire, though, so the 'human' race is screwed either way.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote:

Rectangle? I know about Bill -> Sookie -> Eric, Jason -> Jessica -> Hoyt, and Tommy -> Luna -> Sam but where's the rectangle? That's three seperate triangles. Tara/Naomi and Jesus/Lafayette aren't in polygons at the moment.

I suppose you could add in Diane -> Alcide -> Sookie, but that still wouldn't make a rectangle, more of some sort of fucked up pointy Oroboros.
    The rectangle is Sookie - Bill - Eric - Alcide.
    True-Blood-Season-4-Poster-Show-Your-True-Colors-1.jpg

• Options
    You could make that a pentagon with Sam. :P

• Options
    95% of the vampires we've seen thus far are monsters kept in check by fear of retribution from the Authority. Even then, the Authority is fine with violence and murder against humans so long as vampires cover it up. Renounces are an insignificant minority among vampires. As I see it, vampires see themselves as demigods beyond the power of human law, and humans are food, pets, or playthings. If bears or lions preyed upon people the way vampires in True Blood do, the outcry for a mass culling would be deafening. Vampires aren't some persecuted minority without the power to defend themselves. They are vicious, inhuman creatures who prey upon humans. The idea that people would sit idly by while they lobby for rights is one of the more laughable aspects of the show.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The whole "general amnesty" thing is interesting. Like most people, I just watch the show for shits n' giggles, but the whole premise that vampires could just come out and start living peaceably as citizens is pretty thin, when you consider that there are "millions" of them currently in existence and that they have all committed crimes such as murder and kidnapping throughout their entire lives. There's just no way to overlook that unless some sort of remuneration/justice process were started, similar to a war crimes tribunal...

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:
    95% of the vampires we've seen thus far are monsters kept in check by fear of retribution from the Authority. Even then, the Authority is fine with violence and murder against humans so long as vampires cover it up. Renounces are an insignificant minority among vampires. As I see it, vampires see themselves as demigods beyond the power of human law, and humans are food, pets, or playthings. If bears or lions preyed upon people the way vampires in True Blood do, the outcry for a mass culling would be deafening. Vampires aren't some persecuted minority without the power to defend themselves. They are vicious, inhuman creatures who prey upon humans. The idea that people would sit idly by while they lobby for rights is one of the more laughable aspects of the show.

On the other hand most of the vampires we've seen so far are the interesting ones. There could be a whole lot of vampires like Eddie or that one who lived nextdoor to Hoyts mom.

I'm more astonished at the fact that everyone seems to have no problem with the ones who don't even hide the fact that they've killed the fuck out of thousands. Not attacking them first thing is okay, actually treating them like normal folk (to a degree) is just silly.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Obviously they're quite rich and have a lot of political clout going back for centuries, but I see no way that they can come out into the open and be accepted as "normal" within a couple years, rending people like Pastor Newlin as fringe crazies openly opposing them. Shit, with Russell's actions spurring everyday people and the mainstream media to go after them, I expected some majorly heavy handed shit from the government. If the major governments of the world don't have contingencies for dealing with vampires, who are by all indications the strongest of the supernaturals on the earth, then they are fucking up big time.

EDIT: Eddie was kinda different, in that he was made after vampires revealed themselves. Any vampire made prior to that we have to assume at one time or another fed from an unwilling human. The fact that they can erase the memory from the victim actually makes the whole thing worse.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:
    Obviously they're quite rich and have a lot of political clout going back for centuries, but I see no way that they can come out into the open and be accepted as "normal" within a couple years, rending people like Pastor Newlin as fringe crazies openly opposing them. Shit, with Russell's actions spurring everyday people and the mainstream media to go after them, I expected some majorly heavy handed shit from the government. If the major governments of the world don't have contingencies for dealing with vampires, who are by all indications the strongest of the supernaturals on the earth, then they are fucking up big time.

EDIT: Eddie was kinda different, in that he was made after vampires revealed themselves. Any vampire made prior to that we have to assume at one time or another fed from an unwilling human. The fact that they can erase the memory from the victim actually makes the whole thing worse.

Yeah you're absolutely right.

I'm just trying to find a good explanation for what are really just a bunch of pulp romance-novels. :P

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:

I can imagine that there are several contributing factors that allow them to reveal themselves and be pretty much accepted within a few months.

The big one is that they own everything, really. Anybody who tries to go on the air or come out publicly and denounce them just gets labeled a freak by a few major talk shows.
    Any major opponent can, relatively easily, be hypnotized into changing their mind.
    Their actual number is a closely guarded secret, there's no way to know how many there are really. They're less scary if they don't seem as prevalent.
    Twilight.
    Everybody wants to be one. Immortal with super powers? Yes, please.
    True Blood. Now they can all be "nice" because they don't WANT to eat people, they just have to. It's not their fault.

• Options
    That's pretty close to what probably happened. Russell really fucked up their hustle. The real question, though, is why the Authority doesn't just glamor people into doing what they want? Or rather, what's the upside to not assuming de facto control of the major world governments? From what we know, vampires were wiped out/driven out of some of the more intolerant countries in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. How did they even allow that to happen if they're so rich and powerful?

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Do I really have to point out that until Russel punched through a human on live tv, us the viewers were the only ones who knew how nasty vampires could be in the shadows? As far as knowing the very dark side of vampires, all the people of that world had to go on were faery tales and myths ... so, if you start publicly claiming you believe fairy tales to be truth, what do you think the chances are you would be labeled a crack pot, even if vampire existed and were publicly open, drinking a bottle of Tru Blood? Even Russel could be spun as one vampire gone insane and off the reservation and he was. Even then, public opinion turned against them pretty readily and the vampire hunters probably got a whole bunch of new recruits. This isn't all peaceful and rosy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    $5 says the authority are humans

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Oooooooooooooo "wut a twist". That would be baller as shit.

• Options
    That would also make no sense whatsoever, but I guess that doesn't really disqualify it.

• Options
    New episode tonight, don't miss out!

• Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular

Spoilery book question:
    Is there an Authority in the books?
    Who are they?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Shanadeus wrote:

Spoilery book question:
    Is there an Authority in the books?
    Who are they?

No there's not.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So what the hell happened with Eric at the start of the big battle?

He seemed to go all feral, and jump the gun in ripping someone's throat out.

EDIT: Also at this point in the game, Sookie really should just keep a few vials of vampire blood on her as health potions.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I'm thinking Jessica all adrift and such is... not going to end well.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So the
    Ghost girls baby. We didn't see the body. Which might mean that its still alive. Which means that he might have taken it home and raised it. This happend when? 20-30 or 40-50? Which might mean that such a child would be Andy and Terry's grandfather. Mighty convinient that their grandmother is still alive and able to tell.

Ghost girl obviously died fairly close to the flashback, since she is unchanged.

BUT does this mean the baby is Terry's after all? since the ghost girl wants it.

As for Jessica, I would crawl through glass, followed by salt to get to her. So breaking up with her..... how?

I would do the same for the actress playing her.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2011
    Hoz wrote:
    Hoz wrote:

The rectangle is Sookie - Bill - Eric - Alcide.
    True-Blood-Season-4-Poster-Show-Your-True-Colors-1.jpg

That's technically not a love rectangle, but rather a love three-pronged-thing. A love rectangle would be Bill -> Sookie -> Eric -> Alcide -> Bill. As much as I'm sure all the women would love to see some Eric on Alcide action, that just ain't how it is.

PS: Of course, if you moved into three dimensions, you could make the case that it's a love tetrahedron.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Fuck this shit.

Edit: How is there no gif;o(

zeeny on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    yeah what the heck happened to Eric pre-battle

• Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    So what the hell happened with Eric at the start of the big battle?

He seemed to go all feral, and jump the gun in ripping someone's throat out.

EDIT: Also at this point in the game, Sookie really should just keep a few vials of vampire blood on her as health potions.
    Eric was bewitched wasn't he?
    Witch threw a quick rage spell or something the way I saw it, she didn't have time to fully control him.

Or he jumped the gun and killed one of the witches.