As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Blood]...what is going on?

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    I love how Sookie is so sensible.
    When my grandmomma tells me to run. I run.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Liked the episode, only complaint is the whole Andy Belfour thing doesn't really do anything for me. The season is already jam packed with too much interesting stuff, him being a drug addicted asshole could have waited for another season.

In regards to the whole witch thing
    I mean she killed a bunch of vampires when she was burned at the stake? Thats it? I get how powerful that is, but really, no one seems to understand how the power is used or what the requirements are for it. Seems like they are really afraid of something they know little about, you would think they would have had more time to study it or knowledge of it, seeing as it happened 400+ years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Did, that the Bellefleur woman really say
    that a ton of states have repealed anti-incest laws? Really? Really?

It's okay in True Blood World to do your siblings?

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote:

It's apparently at least partly true
    Rhode Island repealed its criminal incest statute in 1989[30], Ohio only targets parental figures[30], and New Jersey does not apply any penalties when both parties are 18 years of age or older.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote:

In her defense, she's entirely accurate in saying
    that their blood relation is exceptionally remote, and that the reason behind those laws does not apply to their relationship.

Unfortunately for Bill, living in a small town means that pretty much everybody is distantly related to everyone else. If "we share blood" is a disqualifier as relationship material, I'm guessing that he's in for some more unpleasant surprises, given how old he is.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You know, watching this with my girlfriend we were just saying, if this season doesn't pick up and soon, we might bail. This episode came just in time. Finally stuff starts to happen in something resembling a meaningful way. And I'm definitely appreciating them axing some of the more obnoxious subplots. A few more side characters need to be written out and we can get on to the proper business of focusing on the main characters again.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    That's how pretty much every season of True Blood is, Namrok.

Starts off slow, then builds up greatly around the middle episodes. And always ends with a bang.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can't help but feel that
    scream uncontrollably and run away
    might have some kind of problem later?

Also thinking back
    Bill really doesn't care for his own well being if he's willing to try and 'dominate' the witch that uncontrollably a) made his sheriff have amnesia and b) put a rotting flesh spell on an associate. Maybe I'm reading too far into it but I can see him becoming either desperate or cocky.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Also thinking back
    Bill really doesn't care for his own well being if he's willing to try and 'dominate' the witch that uncontrollably a) made his sheriff have amnesia and b) put a rotting flesh spell on an associate. Maybe I'm reading too far into it but I can see him becoming either desperate or cocky.

I think he's just
    arrogant. He figures he's smooth enough to work her over without reprecussion if he isn't directly threatening her body. Both Pam & Eric were in the process of threatening Marnie when they got nailed. It's a pretty huge risk, though Bill might have an ace we haven't seen yet.

EDIT: It occurred to me that
    she might not have the juice to do her mojo without Lafayette there; Bill might've figured from his spy what the key element to the curses was.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Also thinking back

EDIT: It occurred to me that
    she might not have the juice to do her mojo without Lafayette there; Bill might've figured from his spy what the key element to the curses was.

Yeah that could be true, except
    What about the flashback that she had while in 'Vampire Prison' and the other one from before which showed the witch being burned.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Yeah that could be true, except
    What about the flashback that she had while in 'Vampire Prison' and the other one from before which showed the witch being burned.

My guess?
    Marnie can channel the spirit and see her story, but she just doesn't have the oomph to work the magic to the levels necessary to affect strong vampires. Either Lafayette has an enormous amount of power (which they have been saying for two seasons now) or perhaps he has a bloodline tie to the original witch (or both). 400 years is room for a lot of ancestors.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I seem to be in the minority here- I don't like adorable Eric. Everyone in the story should, but he's just boring to watch and led to the obvious with Sookie when Tara did the only useful thing she's ever done (and was totally correct) when she pointed out all the reasons why Sookie hooking up with Eric is bonkers.

Terry, Hoyt, Jason and Jessica were all awesome, though. More scenes with Jason, Hoyt, and (in a state of undress) Jessica, please. Just don't fuck Terry and Hoyt over too much show, thanks.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    But without adorablEric, we wouldn't have fairy-blood-drunk Eric.

Is that what you really want? :)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    You don't think normal Eric could chug a billion fairy's? Really? THINK about that for a second. :P

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    What ever came of Jessica's permanent virginity thing? As a plot element that kind of dropped off the radar. I guess she and Hoyt are just dealing with it or what?

• Options
    Considering that vampire sex can involve impact trauma, ripped flesh, and broken necks, I'm not sure that permanent virginity is a significant hurdle to overcome after the first time.

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:
    You don't think normal Eric could chug a billion fairy's? Really? THINK about that for a second. :P

Well, sure. But he wouldn't be as much fun.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    caught up on season 3 (second half) and season 4 in the last week.

I missed so much! oh man. Loved loved loved the end of last season and this one has been great so far.

am I mistaken or
    do we not know for sure what this witch is capable of? I can't tell if she's being controlled or just a liar. not sure if I missed anything that gave away the answer one way or another

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Variable wrote:

I missed so much! oh man. Loved loved loved the end of last season and this one has been great so far.

Welcome back, where Jessica almost got naked. . . .almost.
    am I mistaken or
    do we not know for sure what this witch is capable of? I can't tell if she's being controlled or just a liar. not sure if I missed anything that gave away the answer one way or another

More back-story than a spoiler but...
    As of now I think we're led to believe that she is being possessed by the spirit of the witch that was burned at the stake in the 1600s and sent every vampire in a 20 mile radius into the sun because of it. She is not in control of the flashbacks or the spells that she has been casting.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Variable wrote:

Welcome back, where Jessica almost got naked. . . .almost.
    am I mistaken or

More back-story than a spoiler but...
    As of now I think we're led to believe that she is being possessed by the spirit of the witch that was burned at the stake in the 1600s and sent every vampire in a 20 mile radius into the sun because of it. She is not in control of the flashbacks or the spells that she has been casting.

However,
    in the flashbacks we've seen her go on, she definitely takes the old Spanish witch's side and finds the vampires abhorrent and wants to save/help the old witch. So while she's not sure what's going on or what she's doing, she definitely is drunk with the power and believes the witch is her benevolent spirit guide or whatever.

Remember the ritual she did where she cut her arm? She pretty much told the old witch outright that she's quite happy to be a vessel for whatever the spirit wants.

Pony on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    right, I forgot about that scene. thanks.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    So yeah today I finally got the bug. For some reason during one of my classes I reminisced about Sunday's episode and how much shit went on, and little did I know 10 minutes went by. Officially excited for Sunday's episode.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Hell, I rather want the witch(and other potential witches) to start fucking up the uppity vampires, without becoming some sort of cookie-cutter villains.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    New episode tonight. Stoked.

P.S. found this on youtube.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    Well I look forward to what should be an excellent rampage.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Jessica and Jason were pretty adorable together.

• Options
    So tonights episode though in my opinion not as epic, it was pretty awesome and the season is really growing on me. I was skeptical during the first couple episodes, but now I think this season is going to turn out just fine.
    So disappointed that Jason didn't become a panther, but that little teenage love scene between him and Jessica was wonderful. Feel bad for what's gonna happen to Hoyt.

• Options
    I really hope Eric is fucking with everyone and DOES remember everything. That would be great.

All the vampire's on the show need to be staked pretty much, with the exception of Jessica (Bill is skating the line). If someone hurts Hoyt they need to be put down, so Jessica better wise up!

I get the feeling Jessica is going to learn she's not quite as invincible as she thinks, though.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    I still remember Jessica from Season 1, petulant and childish, and damned near uncontrollable.

Amazing contrast to this season, with only some resemblance to season 1. Really, just good character progression and development.

Tara, on the other hand, not so much.

• Options
    Fuck them for teasing us with her death yet again. Do it, you cowards!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I loved everything about last night's episode.

I would go as far as to say this is the best season of True Blood, in fact.

• Options
    I loved everything about last night's episode.

I would go as far as to say this is the best season of True Blood, in fact.

I wouldn't go that far. I liked it but there were just so many let downs and not enough "wow what the fucks". I could tell what was going to happen by the time it was happening, and this occurred three or four times during this episode which really is a downer. It's like they opened all these amazing story-lines and then just sorta brushed them off like they never happened. Not saying that no other show does this but I think a majority of the cliffhangers of this show are "jeopardy'd up" to keep us interested for the following week's episode, then they trash the idea instantly(or even worse during the last 10 minutes of the episode Read:Last night's).

Tl;dr - too many cop outs to be considered the best episode IMO.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    3lwap0 wrote:
    I still remember Jessica from Season 1, petulant and childish, and damned near uncontrollable.

Amazing contrast to this season, with only some resemblance to season 1. Really, just good character progression and development.

What are you talking about? I haven't liked Tara this much since the first season. She's basically the only person who is sane about supernaturals in this show. Plus her
    Merlotte's date with Naomi
    was cute.

Regarding Jason:
    I was pretty confident that he wasn't going to turn. All of the shifters and weres have indicated that they're hereditary at one point or another. The Hot Shot people are fucking idiots. Of course, if they get their hands on actual magic (like Marnie's ghost girlfriend) or freaky cosmic rules (like skin changers), all bets are off.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    3lwap0 wrote:

What are you talking about? I haven't liked Tara this much since the first season. She's basically the only person who is sane about supernaturals in this show. Plus her
    was cute.

Regarding Jason:
    I was pretty confident that he wasn't going to turn. All of the shifters and weres have indicated that they're hereditary at one point or another. The Hot Shot people are fucking idiots. Of course, if they get their hands on actual magic (like Marnie's ghost girlfriend) or freaky cosmic rules (like skin changers), all bets are off.
    Re: Jason
    I'm curious if his being half fey will have any effect on them turning him. They said that you cannot turn humans into weres. Jason is only half human, maybe he'll go half-were*? The night wasn't quite over when the episode ended, and it seemed to be just about the time all the various shifters were about to go about shifting.

[edit]I have no idea what a "half-were" would be... no control over his shift? Just turns into an anime Cat-person?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    was cute.

Well, this is character progression really. But take first season Tara (past the first few episodes), the angry, annoying, belligerent and 1 dimensional character portrayal got old really quick. She kept that up with season two and half way into three, before she changed in fourth. Basically, it took three seasons of writers fucking up her character to only marginally get it right. Unfortunately, too little, too late I think. Her story arc is better than last seasons, but when you're at the bottom, the only place to go is up.

I don't think she'd be missed if her character got off'd, but Alan Ball will keep her around.

• Options
    3lwap0 wrote:

was cute.

Regarding Jason:
    I'm curious if his being half fey will have any effect on them turning him. They said that you cannot turn humans into weres. Jason is only half human, maybe he'll go half-were*? The night wasn't quite over when the episode ended, and it seemed to be just about the time all the various shifters were about to go about shifting.

[edit]I have no idea what a "half-were" would be... no control over his shift? Just turns into an anime Cat-person?

Jason:
    Jason is considerably more than half-human. If Bill's stuff about Sookie's ancestral tree is correct, "fey" is basically a recessive gene that about a quarter of the kids in the family get.

Anyway, Alcide was pretty confidant that you can't pass on lycanthropy (or any other kind of -thropy) through a bite. If it's possible, it's through actual magic that the werepanthers are probably far too stupid to have. That said, there might still be something going on there, and Crystal is still out there planning on making Jason miserable with her love.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    3lwap0 wrote:

was cute.

Regarding Jason:

Jason:
    Jason is considerably more than half-human. If Bill's stuff about Sookie's ancestral tree is correct, "fey" is basically a recessive gene that about a quarter of the kids in the family get.

Anyway, Alcide was pretty confidant that you can't pass on lycanthropy (or any other kind of -thropy) through a bite. If it's possible, it's through actual magic that the werepanthers are probably far too stupid to have. That said, there might still be something going on there, and Crystal is still out there planning on making Jason miserable with her love.

I'll admit, it seems like a longshot.
    I just want Jason to have some kind of super-power beyond "super good at sex" (which gave me a good laugh, in context)

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I'll admit, it seems like a longshot.
    I just want Jason to have some kind of super-power beyond "super good at sex" (which gave me a good laugh, in context)

Not me. I would be annoyed if the entire cast of humans
    got super-ed up. Sookie is right in saying that she barely knows any normal humans anymore. We need humans as touchstone characters to ground the fantastic in reality. Jason doesn't need any special powers (beyond his aforementioned pornomancy) and it would kinda cheapen the narrative if he did.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Has the Jason thing been confirmed in the tv series?
    About him being half fae? Supposedly it's in the books but i haven't had a chance to read them yet

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    Madpanda wrote:
    Has the Jason thing been confirmed in the tv series?
    About him being half fae? Supposedly it's in the books but i haven't had a chance to read them yet

I think it was just assumed cause Sookie was he was too cause they're brother and sister. I don't think it's gone beyond that.