Options

[NHL] Thread - NHL realigned with the winter solstice, pagans pleased

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    More speculative articles on ESPN about the Coyotes moving. I think they'll be in Quebec in a few years, but I've heard Milwaukee and Seattle as possible markets too.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Uhhh, Milwaukee would be rough. It's basically in the dead center of the Wings/Hawk/Wild territory, and has an AHL team the admirals(Preds) that pulls only about 6k in attendance.

That said UW(madison) has a pretty decent hockey program(not this season, but in general), So if they can get onto the Madison basic-cable network, you may be able to lure in the college kids who watch UW, into watching pro games. And the rink the AHL plays in(and the Bucks too) is already built and has no debt to worry about, even if it only seats about 18k.

And there's rumors that the Bucks(NBA) may get sold at some point, which would leave a wide open gap of nothing to watch time.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I have never heard Milwaukee

Vegas/Kansas City (joke)/Seattle are the US markets I've heard most commonly.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    KC has the arena in place, I think, which is the reason for that speculation.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    After the Coyotes, what's the next likely team to be moved (perhaps to a Canadian market?) in the next five or so years?

There was a big hubbub about Saskatoon in the last month and it's got me curious. I seriously don't think we'd be a serious contender for a move the next season, though.

• Options
    Yup.

Here is the inside scoop, no one in Kansas cares about Hockey. Penguins might've done good here, since they were a good team, but the yotes? No chance.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I really don't see what Vegas gets you.To start with its half the size of the Phoenix metro, so just to get the same crappy attendance they'd need to double their community engagement, and its not any better of a hockey location demographically as best I can tell. Unless they are just hoping a whole lot of fans from else-where will fly in to watch their team on the cheap, and have some gambling fun a long with it.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    I can't see a team working in Vegas. If the arena was in town it'd be another attraction that tourists there would see, no solid fanbase for long term support. If they build it off the main drag it'd be more likely to have locals as fans, but they couldn't attract any tourists for quick sales. That's even assuming those tourists don't already have teams in their home towns, the Vegas team would have to be good enough to get people that either aren't interested in the sport or already have a preferred team going to the games.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    I really don't see what Vegas gets you.To start with its half the size of the Phoenix metro, so just to get the same crappy attendance they'd need to double their community engagement, and its not any better of a hockey location demographically as best I can tell. Unless they are just hoping a whole lot of fans from else-where will fly in to watch their team on the cheap, and have some gambling fun a long with it.

Vegas is less than half the size of Phoenix, but Vegas's population density is 50% greater than Phoenix's. At the end of the day, I'd be inclined to agree that it's probably not an ideal market for ice hockey, but the problem with looking at the straight up population in a metropolitan statistical area without taking into account the population density of the city is that, sure, you might wind up with a large media market to advertise in, but your fans may have to drive a couple of hours just to fill a seat in your little arena.

Seattle makes the most sense to me.

• Options
    Plus, Pheonix stadium isn't actually in Pheonix, so the population is still misleading.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    SammyF wrote: »

Vegas is less than half the size of Phoenix, but Vegas's population density is 50% greater than Phoenix's. At the end of the day, I'd be inclined to agree that it's probably not an ideal market for ice hockey, but the problem with looking at the straight up population in a metropolitan statistical area without taking into account the population density of the city is that, sure, you might wind up with a large media market to advertise in, but your fans may have to drive a couple of hours just to fill a seat in your little arena.

Seattle makes the most sense to me.

Right, but even with the population, Vegas isn't a traditional market in the first place. I think there's a good reason they don't have any sports teams there.

Quebec will certainly be getting a team, probably the Coyotes. Seattle would be next in line in my opinion.

Edit - Johnson looks alright in net. Did they ever say what he was actually out so long with?

Blendtec on
  • Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    He was out with "Can'tstopapuck-itis"

Looks like he's still got it

• Options
    TheSmacker wrote: »
    He was out with "Can'tstopapuck-itis"

Looks like he's still got it

He's not completely floundering. Looks like at least some of the Pens defense showed up to the game, hopefully the rest will get there between periods.

• Options
    This crowd in Buffalo tonight is pretty awesome. Loudest game I've heard in awhile

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    Pens really need to stop doing 5 forwards on the pp. I don't know who to take off, but need some actual defense on there.

• Options
    There have been some of the weirdest goals in this game

• Options
    Listless is the best word for the Wings in the first 40.

They're so fucked in the playoffs.

• Options
    Bleh, just lose out, get the six, and go take on the Pacific champ. Then St. Louis and hopefully not Nashville.

• Options
    So

Flyers in the first round?

Should be some good hockey

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well, Avs at least killed Calgary's playoff hopes and played like they had something to play for. They aren't mathematically out of it yet, but man do they need help. 5 days off until they play their last 2 games of the season... so as the rest of the teams catch up to the same number of games played, that'll tell whether the last 2 games mean anything or not.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I'm just glad to see Lando get a few more points.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Though word is he lost credit for the assist on the 'own goal' from the Calgary defenseman.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Olver always beats Kipprsoff

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm anxiously awaiting an Olver OT winner so we can get the headline "OLVER-TIME WINNER".

These things really do write themselves.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    So

I went on a little bar crawl after the game last night. At one point we had a bartender that was from Philly, so we talked hockey with him. He agreed that Pens/Flyers would be the most exciting playoff series, but regardless of who won, that team would probably be too battered to do much else in the playoffs.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    So

I went on a little bar crawl after the game last night. At one point we had a bartender that was from Philly, so we talked hockey with him. He agreed that Pens/Flyers would be the most exciting playoff series, but regardless of who won, that team would probably be too battered to do much else in the playoffs.

Just like in 09!

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Stars fan in Vancouver last night takes a puck to the face from Kari Lehtonen during warmups.

Fun fact: he (the Stars fan, not Lehtonen) used to play goal for my rec league team...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XGvMur9Qtos

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Best part is when the chick in the Stars jersey snatches the towel from the dude and his reaction after. Cool that he got a stick after too though.

• Options
    Yaaay Henrik Sedin remembered how to be a magic playmaker. For his first trick, he turned Lapierre into a top 6 forward.

• Options
    So Canada pretty much completely shit the bed today, eh?

• Options
    Schide wrote: »
    Canadian teams were 4-2 tonight.

• Options
    So

Pens/Flyers always gives my heart a little bit of a flutter when I think back to their quarterfinals series in 2000.

• Options
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Stars fan in Vancouver last night takes a puck to the face from Kari Lehtonen during warmups.

Fun fact: he (the Stars fan, not Lehtonen) used to play goal for my rec league team...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XGvMur9Qtos

Now he can tell everyone he stopped a shot by Kari Lehtonen!

• Options
    Matrias wrote: »

I know, but Ottawa blew a 3-0 lead and then let the Flyers get a point in the shootout, and Montreal lost to the Capitals while Toronto beat the Sabres.

And I guess Winnipeg let Stamkos score in OT but that really doesn't matter. The other guess was meaningless for me. Clearly I am saying all this for entirely selfish reasons.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    What the fuck happened to this Pens team? Don't even bother bringing this bullshit into the playoffs.

• Options
    Fleury giving up 4 goals on 12 shots. Had similar stats in the two Islanders games.

Getting into playoff form early!

• Options
    Pens forgot a game is 60 minutes, not 40.

• Options
    Coach fight?

Coach fight!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I don't think I'd agree that they played even 40 minutes of good hockey. They were offensively strong during the second period, but their defensive game and special teams play was not impressive.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Matrias wrote: »

I know, but Ottawa blew a 3-0 lead and then let the Flyers get a point in the shootout, and Montreal lost to the Capitals while Toronto beat the Sabres.

And I guess Winnipeg let Stamkos score in OT but that really doesn't matter. The other guess was meaningless for me. Clearly I am saying all this for entirely selfish reasons.
    I dunno. I thought it was a pretty good night. I mean, the Flames were eliminated and everything.

Winnipeg fan?

This discussion has been closed.